Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • bombjack
    Free Member

I’m super pumped for Les Arcs, already eyeing up slack country routes on fatmap. The 20yr old me would have hated the idea of staying Club Med. The 39 year old me is looking forward to it. I did it a few years ago in L2A and that was probably my best week on snow ever. This one is in Arc 2000 so the snow should be decent, hopefully the queues will be small, and the sun will be bluebird!
    The big question now is do I want a new pair of skis?…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Heavy snow in Livigno yesterday, folks!

😁

nedrapier

No riding for me last year with a new tiny man. someone even tinier arriving in Feb, so looking dry for this season too. Unless I try and nick off on my own for a few days in Jan. Didn’t go end well last time I did that with No.1 on the way, so we’ll see!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woohoo!

Massive congratulations!

nedrapier

Ta! I’ll be back on asking for family ski tips before long! We were given a sledge last week by a friend having a clear out. Way too long to wait for snow, so I just pulled him round the grass on it. He flippin’ loved it!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Started snowing at Nakiska today.

And sweamrs picked up a set of proper racer skis for this coming season as she’s decided to train with the Alberta Masters team….   It would be fair to say the edges are crazy sharp currently…

mahalo

I’m super pumped for Les Arcs, already eyeing up slack country routes on fatmap. The 20yr old me would have hated the idea of staying Club Med. The 39 year old me is looking forward to it. I did it a few years ago in L2A and that was probably my best week on snow ever. This one is in Arc 2000 so the snow should be decent, hopefully the queues will be small, and the sun will be bluebird!
    The big question now is do I want a new pair of skis?…

Same age as you and did my first club med last season. bloody loved it. we were in La Plagne, the the weather and the snow conditions were absolutely perfect all week and i have never done more mileage in a single week before! i was dubious about going in ski school, especially as i ended up in a group without any others from our party, but it was great, basically like having a private guide all day everyday and we hardly set foot on piste all week! only 5 of us, all about the same standard, so it was flat out every day and never waiting around.

the hotel was alright, cannot fault the location for door step skiing but it was a little bit removed form civilization. the restaurant/food/bar/kids clubs/ski lockers etc were all spot on, just the rooms let it down a bit. We have stayed in some pretty salubrious chalets in the past so a very dated box room about the size of my downstairs bog on a noisy corridor was disappointing – it didnt really bother me tbh, im not that fussy (plus i was super knackered every night!!) but gave the women something to complain about.

Definitely gonna use them again this winter tho, weve even sold it to a few others too so just need to find one that ticks all the boxes…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve skied those Dobermanns before. Scary fast!

oldtennisshoes

Just got approval for a second April visit with just Miss OTS, who is now a better skier than me. Time to get some fitness training in to make sure I can keep up with her. Just need to decide on the resort.

Digby

someone even tinier arriving in Feb

Congratulations @nedrapier

BoardinBob

New board arrived today. A Yes Optimistic 154.

My mate has one and I rode it for a couple of days in Cervinia this year. A ridiculous board. Rocket ship fast and mega stable through the rough churn. Will take it to the snowdome for a wee shake down this week but absolutely choking for winter now.

cobrakai

Just booking our 3rd visit to family ski in Ardent. Good ski area, close to Geneva and the little one absolutely loves the skiing/child care.

Had a blast with ESF on an off piste guided day last year so prob do that again.

Will also get an off piste Tellie lesson subject conditions. Happily drop the knee on any piste but just can’t seem to get weight distribution right in powder.

No new kit this year. Finally got a set up I love!

oldtennisshoes

Anyone been to Madesimo or Livigno? I know they are different beasts, but looking at alternatives from Malpensa.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Livigno, about 40 years ago, I was only little and it has probably changed a little.. I had a fab time though and have scars to prove it.

toby1

Anyone pre-booked with Crystal (parent company TUI on verge of bankruptcy)? Hopefully not, just surprised this thread hasn’t bumped back up with the news.

oldtennisshoes

Burton Step On bindings early release
    Limited styles & colors of Step On are available for a 7-day early drop – get them here or at your local shop. Full lineup: 11/4.

https://www.burton.com/gb/en/c/step-on

Not my thing, but might be useful to some of the boarders.

jimdubleyou

Just bought the Step-ons from Absolute-snow, nicely coincided with the last day of my birthday 10% off voucher.

Wins all round 🙂

moshimonster
    Free Member

Be back out to Big White (BC) as usual this season. I’m looking forward to it after completely missing the last season for the first time I can remember. Hoping the snow gods perform their magic too!

sweaman2
    Free Member

45cm of snow local to Calgary due to an early season upslope storm. Over 60cm further south near the USA border.  It’ll probably all melt of course but still sweajnr was excited to get his new skis for the season on Wednesday.

Sweamrs has less luck finding an appropriate ski jacket.  So ideas please for a warm, technical ski jacket.  Her previous spyder has lasted 12 years with ~30+ days of skiing per year so if we can make the next one last as long then we’re happy to spend a decent amount.

One option is the spyder blaze but the sizing seems to have changed in 12 years so she seems to be between sizes…  Other ideas appreciated as traipsing around the local stores has revealed lots of fashion choices but a disappointingly limited selection of more technical options.

nbt

nice vid here

Digby

Anyone pre-booked with Crystal (parent company TUI on verge of bankruptcy)?

Source for this? I know TUI have issued some profit warnings recently especially since many people are apparantly delaying booking holidays until the Brexit situation becomes ‘clearer’ and the issues with Boeing’s 737 Max … but I wasn’t aware that TUI were on the verge of bankrupty!

A quick google doesn’t show up anything apart from the recent profit warning … TUI share value seems ok, in fact it seems to have benefited from Thomas Cooks demise …

Hopefully Crystal are doing ok (they do seem to be pushing North America/Canada winter holidays at the moment – if my inbox is anything to go by)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Booked for Verbier in Feb, Big family group in a nice looking chalet, driving down (Some of us anyway) can’t wait..

Stoner
    Free Member

Sorry, sweams, can’t help on the jackets as tech requirements in alps are much lower than for you guys, but just wanted to post I love seeing your posts and how you and the family are getting stuck in. Bon hiver! Best to you all!

bluebird
    Free Member

Sauze D’oulx booked for mid Feb.

Thinking of Obergurgl for early Jan. Anyone been? What’s it like? Good on a board or better on skis?

Any suggestions for good (and reliable) tree skiing in Europe, preferably not in France.

bluebird
    Free Member

So ideas please for a warm, technical ski jacket.

If you can bring yourself to wear a snowboard brand Burton’s LZ Down is great when it’s really cold. Used mine in -10 to -20°C and it was excellent. The Helitack is essentially a synthetic down version. Neither are cheap though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Always enjoy these

oliverracing

Can’t wait – got the snow forecast sites added as bookmarks on my work PC again and flights and accommodation is booked for a week in the Aosta Valley exploring various resorts. Planning on spending a fair share of the time in Monte Rosa/Cervinia/Courmayeur (staying equidistant from them all) but will explore the other main resorts if possible! I know this commits us to driving every day but neither of us have skied this area at all so we’re going with the attitude of this being an exploratory trip – plus the accommodation was £230 for the week!

Finding a hire car that guarantees snow tired is turning out to be a touch tricky – we think we’ve found somewhere but then read online that they can’t guarantee it’ll be snow tyres – you my get a suitable alternative (chains!) We’d really rather avoid chains if possible as will be doing ~50km a day minimum which will get very old very quickly if there’s lots of snow and we’re stuck on chains!

Any tips from Milan MXP airport? We’re hiring at the ultra budget end of the spectrum but don’t mind paying an extra ~£30-50 for 100% comfort we’ll actually get snow tyres!

NZCol

Just booked boys trip to Morzine for end of Jan. Replaced QST92s that I skied flat last 3 years, I do like them – Glisshop game up trumps ! Also going to Tahoe for ‘work’ 😂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sauze D’oulx booked for mid Feb.

Pizza at Orso Bianco for lunch, steak at The Village for dinner. Happy days!

amodicumofgnar

Mostly likely UK based for me Glencoe, Yad Moss and Weardale passes (as usual) – year 11 of not going abroad and still clocked up somewhere over 250+ days. Admittedly 30% are probably best described days for the devoted. Hopefully a bit more backcountry this year.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thinking of Obergurgl for early Jan. Anyone been? What’s it like? Good on a board or better on skis?

Any suggestions for good (and reliable) tree skiing in Europe, preferably not in France.

Only done one day at gurgl, but pretty sure that tree skiing is something that it utterly lacks. Proper high resort.

I can’t recall if we skied or boarded, and to be honest deciding based on the resort alone would be barmy. Are you going for a week or less?

Unless it’s biblical powder then I’d be tempted to ski the first day and then scope out the best lines that don’t involve flats….

Sorry, I’m waffling.

piemonster

Pleasingly booked a trip for this year after a couple of winters off. Can’t wait!

tinybits
    Free Member

Looking for ideas for the week before Christmas, it’ll be early of course so high is a good bet. VT? Where else please?
    It’ll be me and Mrsbits, plus micro and nano bits. Youngest is 6 and now a pretty good skier, happy on reds and lift / tree runs (not fresh powder). However, he’s little and his energy falls off a cliff so need to be able to get back to base sharpish if needed. Have taken him to Sainte Foy a number of times and he loves it but it’s not exactly snow sure early season….

Ps – new atomic Vantage 90’s for me and K2 tough loves for Mrs. Never had my own skis before – I’m super excited!

rt60
    Free Member

Well badly broken ankle has thrown everything up in the air for me, so I have done the only sensible thing a brought a full new splitboard set up as an incentive to get better!

I hope everyone has a great winter and will be following this thread with much jealousy.

bluebird
    Free Member

Are you going for a week or less?

The plan is to go for a week. We didn’t expect any trees there, we’re hoping as it’s high (for Austria) there will be snow. The tree question was more general. We normally get some time in Whistler so get our fix there, but we’re not going this season.

Well badly broken ankle has thrown everything up in the air for me, so I have done the only sensible thing a brought a full new splitboard set up as an incentive to get better!

I feel your pain. I spent a month in a cabin watching everybody go out riding everyday while I sat there nursing an atrophied shoulder following a break. And the ******s went split boarding for the first time too! What split did you go for?

rt60
    Free Member

What split did you go for?

Salomon Sickstick Split, I had the original sickstick and loved it, it comes with skins so actually not too bad price wise (relatively).

aviemoron
    Free Member

Just bought season pass for Cairngorm
    *don’t all laugh at once*

oldtennisshoes

Just bought season pass for Cairngorm
    *don’t all laugh at once*

😳🤷‍♂️🤪

pedlad

booked for a week in the Aosta Valley exploring various resorts.

Nice plan. I had a blast doing that a few years ago. Where are you staying out of interest?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.