Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Biblical rain overnight and this morning in the PDS

ooh nasty! Was there in March last year. I’m now keeping everything crossed for good conditions at Hinterglemm in 30 days!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Grim in gressoney today. Skied a bit in the rain then spent an hour in the Artva park then drove to St Jean for a couple of Laps there. St Jean was very nice, but God knows what we’re going to do for the next 5 days.

Ho hum, at least the family have a reasonable idea how to use transceivers now….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

£&+++ a_+_# @£_&–&_£++(()/

Wind

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toby1

Definitely time for it to move on, stupid storm!

phil5556

We’ve just booked.

3 days at Val Thorens right at the end of the season, 29th April. Does anyone know what VT is like on their closing weekend? Either completely dead, a big part or just a normal weekend?

And a week in Ischgl on 14th March. Haven’t been to Austria since a school trip about 22 years ago and fancied somewhere different.

nbt

VT is mental at the end of the season, it’s Dutch Week – the town is completely rammed with coachload after coachload of dutch people

Courmayeur webcams this morning show that some of the muddy slopes visible yesterday have been covered, so some of the rain must have fallen as snow. No more trips booked yet for us but keeping an eye on conditions

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm. 1:45 drive to Courmayeur. Plan b for tomorrow.

Plan C is sacking off the skiing completely and driving down to Finale for three days biking. But that would be molto expensive.

Just like being in Scotland at present.
    Are there low level MTB trails in Aosta?

nbt

Insane lift queues at Vail this weekend

big powder dump, and only that one lift out of the back bowls

Dark-Side

Off to Lapland to visit the outlaws on Sunday, so a few days will be spent in Pyhätunturi. Got the kids on skis for the first time in the Pyrenees last year so really excited to cruise about as a family. Snow looks ok, and not too cold at -2c.

cchris2lou

Andorra for a few days next week,
    Only been once before and don’t remember it.

erictwinge
    Free Member

ive been 3 times and dont remember it either

cchris2lou

A bit more details, we are staying in Encamp.
    Any recommendations for ski hire?
    How about ski lifts, is it best to wait until I get there.

Only my 13 year old son and I.

And, is it worth buying bikes spares in tax free Andorra? Tyres, etc..
    Commencal bike ?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Does anyone have any info on decent tree skiing at Gressoney or Champoluc?
    Weissmatten was great today and I’m working on the basis that there must be some similar stuff on the main area.

julians
    Free Member

So, itslooking unlikely that I can find some accomodation in any of the French ski areas for a long Weekend at the end of half term – no big surprise. So I’m thinking of driving up to on of the Scottish ski areas for a couple of days, Friday 21st and Sat 22nd Feb, assuming there is some snow on the ground to make it worthwhile, is it likely to be mad busy and not worth the hassle?

I went up to Glenshee about 10 years ago, and it was actually decent, even found some powder and it wasn’t that busy, but thought I’d better check.

And if it is worth a trip, wheres best to go, I’m in Manchester if it makes any difference.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Glenshee probably easiest to get to if the snowgates are open! Currently closed as there has been a fair amount of snow over the last couple of days.
    We are heading up on Friday for the weekend and are staying in the camping pods at the Braemar Campsite.
    For Glencoe and Nevis Range stay in Fort William would be my suggestion.
    If it’s your thing the Travelodge has a Wetherspoons directly underneath it for breakfast etc.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Weirdly enough, no new snow at all on the main slopes at Gressoney, which was a shame. We made the most of it anyway and found some stuff to jump off.

NZCol

Glenshee, Glencoe, Cairngorm and Aonach Mor all open today and gradually opening more terrain as the move snow around. Forecast for this week remains cold and snowy albeit blowy so wind may be more of an issue. Was at ‘shee today and it was lovely.

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all, it it likely to be mega busy in scotland next week given that it’s half term (in England at least, don’t know about North of the border)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Glenshee, Glencoe, Cairngorm and Aonach Mor all open today and gradually opening more terrain as the move snow around.

Cool. Good to hear. Best of luck to them.

oldtennisshoes

Currently enjoying bluebird skies and excellent conditions in Madonna di Campiglio.
    Two things I’ve learned this week:
    1. Shorter skis are fantastic fun on piste – currently on some 163 hire skis which are a good 12cm shorter than anything I usually use; and
    2. Sunglasses instead of goggles makes you look older.

Loving this resort, some mental blacks, but superb conditions and snow quality despite limited precipitation across the area.
    Will defo be returning.

oldtennisshoes

Not looking great for one of the Pyrenees resorts ☹️

https://apple.news/AKw_zlsN0Q_WMDK4DUj7FgA

This year’s winter in France has, so far, been the mildest in more than a century, and that has had a direct impact on the ski resort of Le Mourtis, in the Pyrenees mountains.
    “There’s no snow,” said French holidaymaker Frederic Foltran, setting off for the piste this week not with his skis but with a two-wheeled scooter designed for whizzing down grassy pastures.

ElShalimo

I’ve just got my ancient salopettes out of the loft for our holiday in 2 weeks time and they’re falling apart.

Can anyone recommend some decent lightly insulated ski trousers for under £100? Must be waterproof and robust as I’m clumsy.

Thanks

jimdubleyou

Can anyone recommend some decent lightly insulated ski trousers for under £100? Must be waterproof and robust as I’m clumsy.

get thee to a Decathlon.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Or eBay.

phil5556

Was at ‘shee today and it was lovely.

Saw some photos today and it was looking good. We considered heading up but really needed to spend the day just chilling.

Fingers crossed I can get there over the next few weeks sometime, I’ve had epic days at Glenshee.

So I’m thinking of driving up to on of the Scottish ski areas for a couple of days,

The problem is that it’s so unreliable that we only tend to plan a day or so beforehand. If you get lucky you can have a fantastic day, if not you can end up blown off the hill dodging rocks.

julians
    Free Member

8The problem is that it’s so unreliable that we only tend to plan a day or so beforehand. If you get lucky you can have a fantastic day, if not you can end up blown off the hill dodging rocks.

Yeah, I’ve booked the travellodge in Perth, on a flexible booking, that I can cancel up to noon on day of arrival without any cost, so will only go if forecast is looking decent.

oldtennisshoes

Or tkmaxx online

giant_scum
    Free Member

@ElShalimo Decathlon’s Simond mountaineering range have a pair of waterproof salopettes that are well under your budget.
    Designed for climbing and skiing, can also report they are good for dog walking duties as well!
    Have worn them in some pretty horrendous conditions in the Scottish hills the past couple of years and they have been excellent!

pedlad

@thegeneralist – great photo. What are the piste conditions like? We’re staying in Aosta with a car this next week and so hoping to visit different areas including monterosa – family in tow so on piste only though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Pedlad
    Piste conditions were quite icy the first two days but quite slushy ice. But its been better the last few days and it’s currently puking snow. Which is quite splendid.

timbog160

Flaine on Saturday for a week. First time with kids although the eldest went last year with school and loved it. My first return in prob 12 years so not expecting too much!

pedlad

currently puking snow

Splendid indeed. Hopefully across all the aosta resorts😀

sprootlet
    Free Member

Timbog – make sure you visit the Hedgehog snack bar in Morillon and try the duck burger, thought it would be a bit rubbish and it was fantastic.
    Try and ski Flaine early then head out to the villages about 11 to avoid the busiest time. Come back about 3 onwards.
    The Boarder cross in Carroz is a hoot, watch out for the last bend – full 90 degree left hand turn.
    The tapas bar Le Bulout opposite the tourist information office has Goose island IPA and Kwak on draft, great nibbles and Delta IPA (bottle) – all good.

Back in March so leave some snow !

captmorgan
    Free Member

Early March late deal to Kaprun, three and a half days, can’t wait!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh my god,
    Oh my god,
    Oh my god,
    Oh my god,

Pleeeeaaaaase

will
    Free Member

Up at Glencoe yesterday. THE day of the season.

ElShalimo

Thanks to all above who replied.

Decathlon seem to have ran out of tall fat boy sizes. I’ll keep looking

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh my god,
    Oh my god,
    Oh my god,
    Oh my god,

Pleeeeaaaaase

Phew, after a very windy start the day did indeed deliver. Few false starts heading to closed resort, then getting back on bus to open resort, then getting back on bus to initial resort which had now opened.

Off piste was quite hard work but we got some lovely jumpings.

timbog160

@sprootlet thanks for the tips! We just have to get there now – flying from Liverpool 2mo teatime!!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.