• This topic has 708 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 709 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season
  • Digby

what else am I looking at?

Korua Shapes ‘Pencil’ or Jones ‘Mind Expander’ might be worth considering

@jonswhite
    – interesting. Thanks for that. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Korua Shapes ‘Pencil’ or Jones ‘Mind Expander’ might be worth considering

Or a K2 Party Platter for a cheaper option? I love my Cool Bean but the Party Platter looks like it ticks more of your boxes.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers both, that gives me some idea of what the new fangled stuff looks like that I ought to be trying. Anything less than £400 is prob ok, will probably be made to last another 10yrs too 🙂

Party platter reviews not raving about its carve though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grahamt1980

Yes pick your line? Monster on the carves, really fast edge to edge, and apparently got tons of float (hoping for first pow on it in a week or so).

Stoner
    Free Member

‘ow much mister?!??!

And calling something “yes pick your line” does terrible things for thread comprehension!

grahamt1980

Yeah, it’s not cheap I agree.
    have compared it against the Jones umt (loved it), Jones aviator (too twitchy), yes standard (too similar to my typo), bataleon goliath (don’t like 3bt), and some others the pyl was the best of the lot.
    just can’t wait to get it in the mountains properly

julians
    Free Member

Whilst were on about snowboard options. I’ve currently got a Burton custom X camber, and I love how well it works on piste,it carves like a demon,but it’s a bit lacking off piste. I also have a custom twin flying V , which works quite well off piste,but doesn’t have the grip of the custom X on piste.

doesanyone know of any board that goes like a custom X on the piste but floats better in the powder? I don’t care about jumps,I just like to go fast.

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it,is that possible yet?

jonswhite

@stoner – Hovercraft would be good, but K2 Simple Pleasures is probably better

@julians
    – United Shapes Orbit (love mine) or Jones Flagship

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys

dozofoz
    Free Member

@jonswhite good call on the K2 Simple Pleasures.
    I think Nidecker Mellow is similar and has piqued my curiosity for a pow capable carver.

Decisions decisions.

grahamt1980

How about the salomon sickstick or the super 8?

Maybe even the yes standard

nbt

Jon Taylor

Anyone got any tips for Courmayer? Never been, haven’t ski’d for a few years. My Mrs and BiL is going to want to shred the gnarly gnar, I’m much more conservative and of average ability. I see some enticing itineraire from Helebronner and Creats Youla/Cresta D’Arp. Are they mega gnarly gnar? Necessary to bring skins/crampons? Other general ski area experience or tips?

If you do go off-piste from the Youla or Arp, you;re committed – they both lead off into valleys where you can’t get back into the resort until you reach the lift at the bottom. Helbronner is completely off piste and is glaciated, so unless you REALLY kow what you;re doing, a guide is required.

Frustratingly, despite several trips to Courmayeur I’ve never really done any off-piste outside the resort as the company / conditions were never right (though I did have one FANTASTIC day of fresh snow and face shots on piste)

Some stuff here on snowheads: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140847

Painey
    Free Member

doesanyone know of any board that goes like a custom X on the piste but floats better in the powder? I don’t care about jumps,I just like to go fast.

I’ve got a Never Summer board that is good for charging about everywhere. Must admit I was very sceptical about the claims about being good on and off-piste but it’s brilliant. It’s a few years old now so they replaced it with a different model but it still looks brand new, even after the bashing they tend to get from lift queues. They’re well worth a look.

Digby

Anyone got any tips for Courmayer?

You can take the piste down from the Youla (the lower lift) and you can go up the Arp just to check out the views etc, but the ‘itineraries’ and backcountry accessible off the Arp require solid backcountry skills, equipment and preferably a guide.

I’ve ridden there loads and was there in 2017 when a big slide happened in the area below the Youla (and the FWT couloirs) and next to the Gabba, killing 3 people. Please don’t under-estimate the ‘slack-country’

If the relatives want to tour near resort, then I can definitely recommend getting a local guide (there is a Guides Company in the town) and heading off the back of the Arp into Val Venny. There’s a long summer road along the valley bottom to return to resort lift (Zerrota) but one of the restaurants near the lift will come and pick you up with a rope and skidoo/sled. (you don’t have to but it’s kindof expected to have a pizza in their restaurant when they’ve picked you up)

As others have said the Helbronner area is a step up from the resort area – it’s glaciated and really requires a guide, plus touring gear inc skins; boot crampons; ski crampons; harness & glacier kit & ice-axe. If it’s in condition it’s a 2000m run down to the valley bottom. There’s also the ‘Marbre’ on the other side of the lift/refuge towards the dent du geant. I’ve done both sides on both solid board & splitboard so touring might be optional depending on your route but boot crampons etc are mandatory. Your guide can advise further.

The main ski area is great – it has wide open slopes on the top and tree lined runs facing Mont Blanc/Monte Bianco. It’s usually pretty quiet during the week (unless it is an Italian Holiday).

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a S/H Hovercraft- it’s an itch I’ve wanted to scratch for a while! Off to Thyon on Saturday for a week, hopefully should get to play in all conditions!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyone have any particular recomendations for ski hire in Morzine? We’re staying at the Alte Neve Hotel and have a 500m walk to the lifts so using one in that area that ideally we can leave our skis every evening would be good.

Stoner
    Free Member

I can recommend Star Ski. Although it’s not on the route de la plagne, it’s just above the town square. Ask for Claire (tall, long brown hair) , say Mark recommended.

Also Hubert sport comes recommended

Scaredypants, it’s Tuesday live music in the marmotte d’or tonight, not to be missed.

BTW there’s an exhibition match between the Penguins (Morzine / avoriaz ice hockey club) and Megeve tomorrow night. Also a league match on the 19th. Great fun of an evening.

bluebird
    Free Member

@Stoner, in true recommend what you ride. Try a Burton Custom X, a true do-it-all board. Flat out fast carving, tight trees. Stable and predictable, but still responsive and nimble. You’ll just have to hope you can find one in the sales.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers bluebird. Burton would be an option as I’d like to see if I can get something from The Woods in Morzine as they do demos for day hire rates and of course refunded against purchase.

bluebird
    Free Member

@julians How old is your Custom X? They changed quite a bit last season. It might be worth a look at the new one.

scaredypants

Scaredypants, it’s Tuesday live music in the marmotte d’or tonight, not to be missed.

Thanks, but skied my pretty little ass off today (blue sky, fresh powder 😎 ) and I’m off to bed as, sadly, it seems we’re having the same again tomorrow.

Do they do decent food in there? We’re fending for ourselves tomorrow

(Struggling to convince child A of the ossumness of a hockey game)

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, great fud.
    The burgers are orrzum.
    Where did you get to today? Conditions sound great.

scaredypants

Mostly top of the mossettes and various routes back down (the chair up to the big unpisted bowl/face to the far right as you go up had been closed yesterday and reopened just as we were passing. Had been some biggish snow-slides on it but was great. Also the run down below the mossettes was nice)
    Zeb and his Merry men did some couloirs off down the Swiss side and said they were running well too.

Actually, it’s been pretty shit, now I think about it 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

fantastic. Swiss side is great in fresh snow – huge snow fields with lovely shapes. They do deteriorate quickly in sunshine though.
    v jealous. Will be out again in a few weeks hopefully.

nedrapier

Long shot for BC touring types or people headed that way. Sweaman? Digby?

Posting on behalf of a mate. They’ve got a spare spot they’re trying to fill for a group trip to Boulder Hut in the Purcells: a couple of log cabins in the middle of a 13,000 acre play area.

More pics of the skiing: http://www.boulderhutadventures.com/see-it/

Heli in and out due to remoteness, guided, human powered touring while you’re there. Great touring, good food, wood fired hot tub. I went there a few years ago and it was flipping amazing.

30th Jan – 6th Feb, but there might be an option to do 1st half or second half – 3rd Feb change over.

Which is pretty soon, so it’s likely they’ll be open to offers on the cost. Pm me/email if you’re interested and I’ll put you in touch.

bluebird
    Free Member

@nedrapier do you know the name(s) of the guide(s)?

wallop

Anyone have any particular recomendations for ski hire in Morzine?

Are you more likely to ski Avoriaz side or Morzine/Les Gets side?

nedrapier

Bluebird, nope, I’ve asked though. Guessing Mark Yancey and a tail guide.

Think you might be keen, or are you wondering if it’s someone you know?

bluebird
    Free Member

@nedrapier It could be a friend guiding as he does stuff in the Purcells and I think he’s out that way around that time. I’ll be in Whistler at the same time and wondering if I could get it past my wife to slope of for a few days, but it’s highly unlikely. Would love to do a few remote days like that though.

nedrapier

Meet up spot is Kimberley, which is a mere 11 hour drive from Whistler. Or fly to Cranbrook and they can scoop you up on their way from Fernie. Go on, you know you want to.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Are you more likely to ski Avoriaz side or Morzine/Les Gets side?

Both apparently!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sadly too soon for me to get away. I’m assuming that’s Boulder hut which is definitely on my list (especially as they do short tours) but already going touring later in the year and more than one week isn’t going to work with work.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

We’re taking the Eurostar snow train down to BSM in a couple of weeks. Now I’m aware of their (sensible) alcohol policy – nothing pre bought (sealed or otherwise) may be taken onto the train. Which from a point of view of not having to deal with lairy pissed up fellow passengers when I’m trying to sleep is A Good Thing.

However – I’m wondering how strict they actually are about it – traditionally we’ve always taken a wee hip flask each with a tipple of our choice for a cheeky nip towards the end of the day (we’re talking a couple of double shots worth over the week). No point in buying bottles out there as we’d never drink it all. The hipflasks would be buried deep in our “main” bags. The contents would be disposable at a pinch, but I’d hate to have the flasks themselves confiscated, as they’re both personalised.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

As above, @stoner I’ve had a hovercraft for a few years and would definitely recommend. Nice and stiff if ever needed to carve on piste etc. Off piste it holds lines well but is quite forgiving on landings etc.

‘Unfortunately’ I live in le sauze, southern alpes, and we haven’t had fresh snow for a month so the hovercraft hasn’t been out this winter.

nedrapier

sweaman
    Boulder hut which is definitely on my list

You should keep it there! pretty cool setup. You can tour in rather than heli, which would be a nice little adventure, but it’s a 2 day trip each way, so eats into your holiday time a little!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Every year we go to Kimberley for a family long weekend and see the helicopters taking off and I wonder if I could just stay a few extra days.

Digby

The hipflasks would be buried deep in our “main” bags.

My understanding from a friend that did this journey a week ago is that Eurostar security is like airport security:

Given that they only allow ‘soft drinks in sealed bottles’ I’m guessing you would struggle to smuggle booze on board the night train

…and the ‘Boulder Hut’ is a great trip – one of my snowboarding highlights for sure!!

pk13

Genuinely dont know where to go this year. France,Austria or some other euro destination.
    Done a lot of the french alps big resorts ive been spoilt tbh. The powder photos are NOT helping folks really want to go back to lake lue and banff.
    Last year in tinges was fantastic ive never seen so much snow.
    Will be keeping a close eye on the snow radar in February for the last week of feb first week of march.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Packing just now 😁 Hopefully I’ll be in Cervenia on Sunday morning. Looks like it’s going to be a coldun. Packing just about every base and mid layer I own.

Stoner
    Free Member

flights booked to head back to morz in a couple of weeks. Here’s hoping for extradump.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 709 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season’ is closed to new replies.