• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Good laps today in Whistler. Had a good amount of snow in the last few days but also 150km/h winds, so no alpine skiing, but plenty of fresh stuff in the trees.

Hopefully the alpine opens tomorrow, should be around 50-80 cm of fresh snow up there if the wind didn’t blow all of it right off the mountain.

beanum

That second chalet door pic is crying out to be used a beer fridge… 😆

shifter
    Free Member

Great pic 1 whatnobeer!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockape63
    Free Member

off to Courchevel tomorrow for a week….looking good for mid next week and not altogether disastrous at the moment!

clicky

La croisette is Swanky 1850

Stoner
    Free Member

off to Morzine in a few hours. Looks like lots of snow incoming over the next few days. We’re only there for 3.5 days so probably be playing in the trees for the main.

The tour of Graydon is open at St Jean d’Aulpes which is lovely in this weather so we will do that on Monday. Sat & Sun special price weekend tickets for Morz/Les Gets (€54 ea for the weekend) so will get the snow legs going around the Ranfoilly tomorrow, and try and get up to Chamossiere/Nyon if the cloud lifts briefly.

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/morzine/skireport.html

jedi

i’m off to les arcs 1800 tomorrow 🙂

smokey_jo

So dumping down in Tignes again this afternoon but looking like it might clear a bit Monday pm, once in a generation snowfall say the locals.

First time in powder, excited and nervous, might need a lesson.

oldtennisshoes

Second Scottish day today. Cairngorm this time, cold and overcast rather than blue sky and cold as forecast, but not a bad day overall.
    The west wall poma is an aggressive bloody thing though 😆
    Looks like Glenshee had the better weather, but just not enough open for the crowds that were there.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

First time in powder, excited and nervous, might need a lesson.

Good luck! It can be a bit of a challenge the first time, but once it clicks, it’s the best thing ever. If you’re skiing, think about putting your weight a little more through your heels rather than your toes. Don’t lean back though, it’s a fairly subtle shift. Enjoy!

grahamt1980

So the forecast for after next week seems to be a lot more settled. What do we reckon accurate or complete garbage?
    Either way we had to la plagne next Saturday am hoping for sun and pow, but will settle for one or the other

singletrackmind

My brother is stuck in Zermatt today.
    Avalanches and continued avalanche risk = no trains.
    He paid to go on the Glacier express from Zurich after exteending a work trip out there.
    Now he cant get back.
    No ski kit/ outdoor clothing thats suitable for snow shoeing, so stuck hanging around a hotel lobby

oldtennisshoes

Air Zermatt not running the heli taxis?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

-26c at the bottom of the mountain, -4c up top, sunny and no wind. Inversion mania. Awesome day today

smokey_jo

Hardly anything open in Tignes again today and more snow forecast tomorrow. They blasted all night last night and will be tonight too, hopefully Tuesday will see it clear up a bit

singletrackmind

Yes Air Zermatt are running when the viz permits , but its drifting in and out with snow showers that blow through . However , the queue is approx 1/2 mile long as thousands of pepes want out.
    He has booked a 7pm GVA – manc flight on tuesday and is wincing at 9chf beer prices, plus 2 x extra nights stuck in Zermatt

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So this happened.

Forecast was for anything between 10 and 35cm depending on which model you looked at. We ended up getting 58cm over night then another 20 odd during the day today. Nearly 2 hours late in opening due to high winds and doing avalanche control mid mountain, which is very rare.

We had a good day, but it turns out that 60cm of west coast cement will show a lot of people up! Some proper comedy viewing from the chairlifts today.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Mmmmm. Wrenched knees a plenty I’m guessing. I remember once starting in fantastic powder up high and my enthusiasm got the better of me so I descended too far and eventually just stopped solid..

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sounds about right! The chunder in the lower 3rd of the mountain was pretty interesting! All my skis are pretty stiff, so not so bad for me, but the trend for noodly ‘fun’ skis probably caused a few problems too 😆

sweaman2
    Free Member

Well after last weeks excitement it was a trip to Lake Louise (quiet at the back…). Sweajnr spent the morning in ski school and we were surprised to see on the comments card that he’d had fun in the terrain park which confused us as it’s pretty big and off a lift. After lunch he insisted on heading out and lo and behold at the top of the magic carpet there was a small jump complete with comprehensive warning which I’m sure he read and understood fully….

So a question for those with small children.. how to motivate them to turn / practice drills? Currently when sufficiently motivated he can turn and stop but most of the time he just wants to go down as fast as possible…. “My skis want to go fast daddy” Following mum / dad is boring…..

TheDTs
    Free Member

Swearman, I have one of them too. If you find a way to get jr to turn please post it here!

jimdubleyou

swea – how about a black run? Always make me want to turn loads.

Small kids bounce. (right?)

cchris2lou

When he gets enough confidence on small runs going fast, he will ask to go on bigger and steeper runs, he will have no choice but to turn.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Half of me leans towards the ski run kill or cure philosophy but I think it’ll be a disaster.. I sort of need him to learn / comprehend that turning is a way of checking speed as the beginner areas are so shallow it’s really not needed.

I’ve seen children heading straight down the hill locked into snowplow and still not turning so it’s not intuitive to all.

TheDTs
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrwcQQ38bA[/video]

Never complain about lack of snow.

oldtennisshoes

That Candide Thovex video is impressive – even for him!

cb

I’m out to Alpes on Thursday – just bet I get thse hire skis after him…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sweaman2, can you just stick him in a class and let the professionals do it? That’s what we have done with our lad and we just spend time with him on skis having fun. Not saying you don’t mind!

edit: just read your post properly.. he was in ski school! it’ll come i’m sure!

bombjack
    Free Member

The Candide butter on water is excellent, as is the surfing section. Goes to show a) how light he is, and b) just how much float those boat like skis give.
    Given the tow-in he was getting, he was hauling ass at some points!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looked like there was a little extra on the skis for the wave section.

Still – ORSUMNEZZ!

vintagewino
    Free Member

When he gets enough confidence on small runs going fast, he will ask to go on bigger and steeper runs, he will have no choice but to turn.

or he could just do what my 12 year old does and just straightline everything short of black runs. Gives me the fear and does my head in in equal measure!

igm

+1. (11 year old though)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Swearman, don’t let Jr watch the Candide vid, not too much turning in there!

What must the budget have been for that film though?
    Countless takes, Locations across the four corners of the globe, masses of editing / post production.
    Nice work if you can get it.

Where is the sand dune segment, crumbs that looked like some big vertical?

LD
    Free Member

What wax for…….sand, grass, ash, water and concrete?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMsRFzvhHQA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Shaun White gets a perfect 100 score. Another Olympic gold ?

GrahamS

I wonder how much of that Candide video was digital compositing etc, or physical stunts but with hidden slidey bits?

In fact I wonder if it was all him? Having him cover his face like that makes it easy to swap in someone else rather than fly him round the world for a 5 second take.

(Not intending to diminish it in any way. He is obviously stupidly talented)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Ok, GrahamS.
    I was told not to let anyone know, yes parts of that film were me 😳
    (In my dreams)

chrisdw
    Free Member

Anyone in Tignes/Val D’isere this week? Looking at last minute option for this weekend. Is everything open??

NZCol

Dunno but have a photo of friends sitting on the cross bar of the rugby posts , feet flat on snow 😯

cchris2lou

bil just back from les Arcs .

good powder bur it was raining yesterday .

Stoner
    Free Member

Just back from Morz.

Nipped out for a long weekend with Mrs S. Enjoyed a heavily discounted weekend pass in the Morz/Les Gets secteur for €54 ea. That’s about £5/hour. Bargin.

Reasonably good conditions on Saturday in the Ranfoilly bowl, got wetter through Sunday playing around Chamossiere/Nyon area though.
    Monday didnt stop raining all day. Grim so we stayed off the hill and plans to catch this morning were dashed by avalanche risk keeping most pistes closed at Lindarets until lunchtime. Actually watched an avalanche on the flank of an un-skiied mountain opposite the flat this morning. Conditions were sketchy. Went for a walk instead. No matter, we’re back out again next month for another weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.