Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • papercutout
    Free Member

There;s a big difference between what you just mentioned – ESF instructors and guides, vs what they’ve traditionally done.

So yes – if you’re going to pay for guiding, of course it’s on! (that was easily cleared up imo)

Where did you go over the summer singletrackmind?

[/url]

Went skiing this weekend. Not too bad for October

piemonster

#howtomakeenmies

Not at all envious, and where is that?

Loveland, Colorado. It was basically brown a little over a week ago, a couple of good storms and some snow making got it open. Only a couple of runs though.

vinnyeh

Had a wee trip off to Solutions4Feet for new boots- appointment only lasted 10 minutes, and was accompanied by much shaking of head, grimacing and sucking in of breath between clenched teeth. Looks like the effects of my various defects and injuries means an off the shelf solution, even modified, is not going to work well enough anymore.

Outcome is they didn’t feel they could sell me anything, recommending a visit to Outdoor Traders for a custom pair of DaleBoots.
    Kudos to Colin for passing up the sale, but a bit nervous about this route- some mixed reviews for these boots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vinneyh, always good when someone passes up a sale rather than sell you the wrong thing!

I wonder if a soft boot hybrid thing like the Apex ones on the previous page might work for you as well!

Good luck, either way!

hammerite
    Free Member

Vinny – Colin passed up a sale from me too (initially). No boots in a narrow fit for a skier with a few weeks experience. He recommended I carry on wearing ill fitting hire boots rather than spending lots on ill fitting boots of my own. Of course I returned after 5 weeks or so more skiing experience where he sorted me out.

vinnyeh

Those Apex jobs, I’d need a bit of convincing before laying out that kind of money- nice guarantee -money back as long as you haven’t worn them outside/skiing 😆

Booked in next week for first fitting for the Daleboots.

An expensive season it looks like- these, coming on top of a weeks flights, accommodation etc etc at mid term for the family. I really should have just taken the kids out of school.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, so it’s heavy branding, but cool image from Oakley to announce that Mammoth has already opened!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHRrM0tey0[/video]

Worth watching if you like this kind of thing. I liked this more than a few of the other recent offerings.

BoardinBob

Belle Plagne booked for a week over new year. Most excited.

nedrapier

Yeah! Nonstop sticking it to the big boys for the third year in a row:

Yes, it’s a webvotey thing, much like the crap mountain pictures award, but it’s more of a level playing field: companies motivating their clients to vote for them. And if more of Nonstop’s clients feel like voting when asked, compared Neilsen’s or Crystal’s, despite there being way fewer of them, fair bloody play! 😀

Digby

Yeah! Nonstop sticking it to the big boys for the third year in a row!

Yay! 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a ski boot bag – I’m not into skiing so am pretty clueless. I thought this one looked ideal but I don’t want to buy her a crap one:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/atomic-redster-1-pair-boot-bag/705506

Cheers

wallop

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/rossignol-hero-dual-boot-bag.html

I’ve got one of these – lightweight and perfect dimensions for use as hand luggage.

These may be a bit more than you want but some colleagues have had them and liked them.

http://skigearbag.com

Edukator
    Free Member

26°C on the plain and 20°C at 1800m today. The highest since records began in SW France.

*waits patiently*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mrs DD is in the market for some new ski slacks – any recommendations/bargains out there?

hammerite
    Free Member

DD – I’m about to put up some of Jnr’s for sale, but I’m guessing Mrs DD will be after brand new. But they include some nice dark denim look pants.

igm

Darcy – SPusuit are worth a glance at the moment. I got a Sweet Protection goretex shell pair and I think the women’s ones are still available (appropriate sizes permitting). Depends what you want to spend of course but you can see where the money’s gone. And some Decathlon Quechua fleece trousers at £6 for when it’s cold.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers Iain, I’ll have a look at SP now.

hammerite, ta, don’t think the denim look would be her thing. Plain/black it’ll be I think.

willard

Just trying to convince the wife that two weeks in Canadia over Christmas/New Year is a good idea. She’s not been skiing for three years and broke her leg in that time, so her confidence is pretty low. It’s likely to be Banff/Three Mountains unless I can get something of similar value south of the border in Colorado or out west in Vancouver/Whistler.

As for equipment, I shall be using whatever board and boots the rental company have in “clown size”.

nedrapier

This should put a smile on your face:

[video]http://vimeo.com/145118246[/video]

Edukator
    Free Member

2°C over the last record in St Jean de Luz. That’s quite a big jump.

nedrapier

?

2 degrees warmer? for November?

nedrapier

Sunniest October ever recorded in Southern Finland. 164 sunshine hours. Next on the list was 2005 with 124 hours.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

its very warm here in Sweden. I’m nervous….

nedrapier

south or north, hyd?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This should put a smile on your face:

It did!

Their skis were on the wrong way round, but just looked like a MASSIVE amount of fun being had! 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Nedrapier, all over really. I’m south but its currently 13c, Järvsö bike park in the middle has had probably is longest cycling season EVA, keeping the park open unitl last weekend, and people are still riding high up in Åre. Still, alot can change in a few weeks!

nedrapier

Indeed it can. I’m not booking anything for now, though!

Don’t know if anyone’s found this from a link from the vid up there, but this is worth a wotch.

Euro mountains, euro riders, euro boards, euro tunes, euro carving. Pretty fun shapes being thrown from 2:30.

[video]http://vimeo.com/144523041[/video]

It’s done a job on me. I want a Pencil!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Saw that one, fun vid!

This also just popped-up:

How To Eurocarve (Plus 5 Different Ones To Try)

stevomcd
    Free Member

Also, think my mate has been taking hints about the #eurocarveselfie….

nedrapier

Nice. I love the carve flip. That’s actually what I had in mind in those shots on the previous page. Loaded up the front of the board brilliantly, got the release…

Just the wrong type of snow, I guess. Next time.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

just been having a browse through some webcams in french resorts – im sure things are usually a bit ‘whiter’ by now!? dont resorts open at the end of this month?

hammerite
    Free Member

Think it’s all a bit too warm at the moment (much like here). There won’t be any mounds of man made seen for a little while yet.

Edukator
    Free Member

A quarter of a century ago we were often out skiing in November over 2000m. In recent years it’s been rare and this year it’s very mild in France. The weather forecaster read out more broken records for temperature in November this evening.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Nearly 1m of snow in Whistler in the last 2 weeks. None in the village yet, but it’s probably not far away. Mountain should be opening next weekend, if not before. Last year they opened 1 week early and we’ve had nearly twice as much snow already than they had then, so fingers crossed.

The high country in Colorado got hit last night. About 12″ fell. Brings the ytd to 53″ at Loveland. I’m in Texas though sadly so I’m missing it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly, was looking at Montana webcams earlier. Seems they’ve had a dusting, but little more. Think the Bowl is due to open in a week or two, so it could be a little tricky!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.