Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • igm

Too early for 2016/17 season? No?

Just been getting prices for half-term 2017. Not as bad as I expected.

Anyone want to suggest whether there will be decent snow then?

Bunnyhop

Tuesday 22nd, December BBC4 10.00pm.- Ten Things You Didn’t Know about Avalanches.

This looks interesting.

stevomcd
    Free Member

jaffejoffer – I’m gonna say no on the basis that all the trails will be hidden under the deep, deep powder that we’ll have by then.

Or yes, if it comes to that!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singletrackmind

Skiworld have some availability for xmas week on super discount.
    £279 for a week in St Anton ( Nasserin ) is ridiculous. Chalet board as well , so not alot extra to add and probably a decent xmas dinner as well.
    Even if the snow is rubbish this is a cheap holiday

cchris2lou

conditions in Avoriaz dont look too bad .

at least it will be better than les Gets last year .

2 more sleeps , cant wait !

solarider
    Free Member

Just back from 10 amazing days in Whistler. Best snow for 3 or 4 seasons over there and Solarider Jnr’s first encounter with the white stuff (although he didn’t look so impressed!). 1 or 2 days of low visibility, but many more bluebird days and totally empty slopes.

Best skiing trip for years. So happy to be back in the grey, miserable UK (ahem!).

willard

Only four days to go before I leave for Banff. I still have work before then, so 100% excited is having to wait, but I’m starting to look forward to it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh Canada

cchris2lou

Just arrived in Avoriaz.

There is snow but not a huge amount.
    Nothing at all in Morzine and not much more in Les Gets.

grum
    Free Member

Nice one solarider.

I’ve been finding winter utterly miserable here but I’ve just booked a week snowboarding in Italy in February and a week ski touring/off-piste course in Switzerland in March – it’s cheered me right up!

Anyone seen any good deals on ski/snowboard pants recently? Never really like to spend loads on them for some reason.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

grum, I always recommend them, but by January, Westbeach will have good reductions on their stuff. I bought a pair of Cockalorum slacks in their sale last year – so they’ve had one week’s outing but they were great for the money (not sure I even paid £50 for them). Warm, functional, comfy and I look quite sexy in them. They replaced a previous pair of Westbeach that had done me for around 5 or 6 years. (Their jackets/pullovers are good value too – I mean, it’s not Sweet Protection or the likes but for the ££, they’re bloody good value.)

grum
    Free Member

Ta. Yeah I like Westbeach stuff – will keep an eye out.

No snow forecast in the Alps 🙁 – glad I’ve not booked for just after NY like I quite often do.

BoardinBob

Les Gets are making a decision today about re-opening for biking 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just looking at cams on the Via Lattea and over the hills in Serre Che.

Looks terrible.

BoardinBob

I’m heading out on Saturday. Thank god I convinced my mate to go high altitude (Belle Plagne @ 2,500m)

grum
    Free Member

Come on El Niño FFS!

Stoner
    Free Member

cchris2lou – we’re on our way tomorrow morning. PM me and we may catch you for a hot chocolate in the village one day…

spending xmas at the flat. Not too disappointed about snow conditions, we will go up to Avoriaz for a few days over the course of the week to muck about. The kids are only just learning, and its only my first season on skis too so we will just be larking on the pisted learner slopes, and wont be missing out on too much. We wont bother trying to do 7x days ski school or suchlike.

EDIT: BTW, there’s a hockey match on on Weds evening and on the 30th.

http://www.hcmag.fr/

bluebird
    Free Member

Just looking at cams on the Via Lattea and over the hills in Serre Che.

Looks terrible.

Heading to Sauze in 2 weeks. Feel for the people out for Christmas week. I know a lot can happen in two weeks, but I’ve pretty much given up hope for a turn around before we arrive

grum
    Free Member

Heading to Sauze in 2 weeks. Feel for the people out for Christmas week. I know a lot can happen in two weeks, but I’ve pretty much given up hope for a turn around before we arrive

I dunno, I went to Bavaria just after xmas last year and there was barely any snow at all when we set off driving from the UK. As we neared Munich on the motorway it started snowing heavily and didn’t really stop for the whole week.

We’re in Sauze at the start of Feb – even then there’s no guarantees but I’m hopeful 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Inspired:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1012801472114883

Les Gets open for bikes on Saturday on Mont Chery! 🙂

I assume they just mean Airline and the black next to it. Although I doubt there’s any reason (but mud) not to be able to ride around to Col d’Encrenaz…

cchris2lou

Well it is pissing down in Avoriaz. Snowing above 2000m.

Went out this morning and got soaked.

What day are you coming up Stoner?
    Forecast is good for rest of the week and the snow should be good high up.

igm

Bet Stoner’s got a bike stashed out there too.

Stoner
    Free Member

arrive at the flat in Montriond tomorrow pm, chris. I think we’ll head up to Avoriaz for a scout around sometime on Weds or Thurs. Can you get up there on Prolays from Lindarets (and Ardent) or do we have to take the navette up from town?

Bet Stoner’s got a bike stashed out there too.

I’m just trying to remember what state I left it in! I think it was all tickety-boo when I put it away after the summer. I was just planning on doing the foam rings and wipers on the forks. That can wait till next summer.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

hell fire just looked at morzine webcams!! 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

looks like some people braving it off Mossettes…

http://www.morznet.com/webcams/portes-du-soleil

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sauze is an odd one. Did Christmas there about ten years ago. Arrived with almost no snow then on our first night there it began. Turbopuke for three days straight. Epic!

igm

Only on this thread would “turbopuke” be a good thing

toby1

“turbopuke”

Might just be my new favourite adjective.

willard

I leave tomorrow. I’m now wondering whether to give up the pretence of work and concentrate 100% on getting excited about the trip.

It’s currently -12 and snowing.

piemonster

I leave mid January

I’ve already given up on the concept of work

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a noun.

As in, “Massive fat dumps of turbopuke”. Or, “it was turbopuking last night. Bust out the powdaplankz braw!”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just realised that I verbified the noun there. Sorry.

igm

Isn’t that sort of thing a ban if the mods catch you CFH?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I believe that banification is the norm. Or a powder day on blades.

cchris2lou

I ll check what is open tomorrow, but a lot of equipment on the slopes tonight so hoping for good conditions tomorrow.

bluebird
    Free Member

Or a powder day on blades.

That’s just brought back the memory of my daft mate riding Flute bowl on Whistler after a dump on blades. Now I really, really don’t care for blades, but I have to say it was one of the funniest things ever.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Two months for it to put some snow down, not looking good in Morzine for the Christmas period 🙁
    Lifts opening for biking at the weekend !!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

Fortunately, they’ve been working on a new reservoir and pumped supply to artificial snow network over the last year so there are skiable pistes.
    http://morzinesourcemagazine.com/avoriaz-lift-piste-update/

We got a newsletter in the post about it a few months ago and it’s pretty impressive.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Jesus, morzine looks very green on the Web cams. I’d be fairly disappointed if if I’d gone out 4 days ago (like my BIL!)

vinnyeh

GFS ensemble temp/precipitation chart for Morzine @ 850hPa (around 1500m) for the next couple of weeks- temps in the middle, scale on left axis, precipitation down the bottom, scale on the right… the green one (control run) may be anomalous….

build one for your chosen resort here

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.