• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed!

I don’t think I could ski without one now, would just feel wrong. Even at the Hemel Alp, even cruising down Briance or Frejus in the sunshine. I suppose in many cases it’s “les autres” that are the potential problem, rather than my own skiing, but it just feels right to ski with a helmet now.

They’re getting really good now, as well. I’d love to see a MTB helmet with the close/open vent option as seen on most ski lids now. Would be really good for v cold/awful weather rides, I reckon. Ski lids have learnt from bike lids, time for it to go the other way, I think!

wallop

To peak or not to peak? The Giro Surface looks nice (matt grey, see?) but I’m not sure the peak is right for a bird of my age.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Non-peak for me. Can’t see the benefit of a peak on a ski helmet. Looks silly, IMHO.

PaulMc
    Free Member

I did see them Jane. Looks better than our shed slowly rotting at the back of garden.

Expandable sides are supposed to be for people with wide feet.

Bunnyhop

Wallop – I have a Salomon Poison with peak. Peak is great for sunny days, however it drives me mad when I can’t balance my goggles over the lid.
    Also worn a lid for 10 years now, don’t care how it looks, as said above it feels right and very warm on cold days.

Have also covered it in mtb stickers 🙂

Paul – any shed is a good shed.

shifter
    Free Member

I bought a Giro G10 (over a G9) because of the peak. Soon took it off and never put it back on…

Congrats on the babies you lot above. I managed to slide in a shortish trip to Colorado 3 months after my little one was born – mother’s special bonding time I called it 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mother’s special bonding time

Noted. I may use that…!

🙂

Soon took it off and never put it back on…

No peaks on ski lids. Or for the tray-brigade, I’d suggest.

GrahamS

My Smith Hustle has a small peak on it.

Can’t see the benefit of a peak on a ski helmet.

Meets up with the top of the (Smith) goggles so there is no Gaper Gap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gaper Gap.

No gap on mine, because the two fit together perfectly. But yes, a Gaper Gap is A Bad Thing.

I’d have liked a Hustle or similar, to be honest. The lovely people at Smith gave me a Holt, though, and it fits perfectly with the goggles that the lovely people at Oakley gave me, so that’s all good in my eyes! 8)

GrahamS

Yeah the Hustle is very similar to the Holt, but it has closable vents (which the Holt didn’t have back then, but might well do now).

Sits very neatly with Smith goggles, even the vent holes line up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FWIW, my Crowbars have never fogged up with my Holt. Smith seem very good at the venting on their helmets. Works very well for me.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

congrats CFH!

no peak for me. know a few who do, but they’re they type who (very justifyably) wear full face too. reckon the small ones on the smith helmets look good though.

any other brands doing similar to the BBRs other than dynastar?

still not sure how/when i’ll make it out this winter – trans nepal mtb race looks like it might get in the way. fortunately i’d not have to pay for accomm or transfers, so we’ll see what happens.

in other news, am currently chatting to eddie the eagle about a return to skiing… and we just launched a beta of our new ski site **cough**

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

😳

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

don’t worry, we’ll be adding new resorts over the next month or two 😉

crispo
    Free Member

Gaper gap, we always referred to it as a Punter gap.

Could be worse though, could be rocking the helmet with sunglasses combo!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could be worse though, could be rocking the helmet with sunglasses combo!

KILL THEM! KILL THEM!

wallop

What is this gap you all speak of?

wallop

Ah, OK, thank you. I shall bear that in mind when selecting my helmet. That is pretty special right there.

GrahamS

Top Tip: ALWAYS take your goggles along when buying a helmet. (And vice versa)

If they don’t sit nicely together it will irritate the crap out of you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did a double take when I saw the title but as the others have said why not indeed.

2013 is a big birthday year and planning a skip trip around it with another mate with a similar milestone. Early stage planning but early March in Val d’Isere, Verbier or Zermatt. Wish to mark the occasion with some ski touring which I’ve not done before.

Hopefully another trip or three, New Year and have a Swiss mate trying to talk me into the Haute Route. Should be able to organize work meetings in Switzerland Thursdays/Mondays to facilitate some trips.

Gear wise depends upon what we book, touring vs piste/off-piste skiing. Could do with a new jacket but prices are so high now it’s startling, the old kit may yet get another outing.

@CFL – I worked in Singapore and looked quite a bit into Japan, easy stuff to do from Tokyo via train but Niseko is a real biatch – of planes, trains and automobiles hours and hours worth.

GrahamS

Could do with a new jacket but prices are so high now it’s startling, the old kit may yet get another outing.

Snowboard Asylum were still flogging off gear in a half price sale last weekend when I was at Xscape.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just posting these to try get things back on topic, and cuz I really want a pair for this season! Might try pick up last seasons ones for cheaper though.
    Priors are my other dream ski, pricey though.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

@ GrahamS, pretty sure that helmet isn’t fitting properly.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Favourite ski/snowboard film everyone? Mine has to be Tanner Halls Retallack, or Level 1’s Eye Trip if I’m in the mood for more urban/park stuff.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Line skis are rather lovely to look at! Never tried a pair, though.

All I Am for me. If only for that “street” section from JP.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Anybody know if Crowbar snow lenses fit in Crowbar MX goggles? I can’t see vented MX lenses and I think non vented would fog up. I used my O frames with vented persimmon lenses in last season with a Pro-Tec Ace SXP helmet. I feel I need some darker lenses as when it was sunny I had to resort to glasses and a hat.

Any ideas.

PS I think I might fit into some of the gapper description despite not having a gap. My trousers are bright blue and I don’t have a clue what I’m doing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anybody know if Crowbar snow lenses fit in Crowbar MX goggles? I can’t see vented MX lenses and I think non vented would fog up

[quote]

No need for vented if you have the dual lens ski ones, IMO. Mine have never (touch wood!) fogged up.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thats the thing, I have MX frames that have a single lens. I want to know if the ski lenses will fit in before I order some. I don’t think the single lens will work well when skiing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, I getcha! Sorry!

I think they should work, as the only major differences are the single lens and the tear-off pegs, IIRC. A quick call to Oakley Towers should clarify, though!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks, I have dropped them an email but I am impatient bugger so thought I would ask here too.

Bunnyhop

Gaper gap – we call it Euro gap.
    Another tip for the goggle wearers, is never put them up onto your helmet on a snowy wet day. Mine have frozen inside before now, so I always pop the goggles on inside a building where I’ve managed to either keep them dry or dry them off before heading back out.

Same old ‘old school’ Salomon scream8 for me 😥
    Never mind, they still work very well.

Stuey01
    Free Member

My mate has a Smith Holt helmet, and Smith Phenom goggles. These are a helmet and goggles specifically designed to integrate and not have a gap.

He has a proper **** gap. How? I do not know.

I have a Smith Vantage and no gap with either Oakley Crowbars or Spy Soldiers. The Vantage is a sweet helmet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He has a proper **** gap. How? I do not know.

Odd shaped head, obviously. 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Line skis are rather lovely to look at! Never tried a pair, though.

I was on Line Prophet 98’s all this past season, such lovely skis in every way for nearly all conditions, except for ridiculously deep pow. And Ive heard nothing but great things about there wider skis! This is coming from Whistler though where nearly everyone has phat skis, the euro style carving skis aren’t very common here.

And ye that JP street section is pretty sweet!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stolen from another thread…

Mont Blanc on Friday last week…

🙂

GrahamS

Odd shaped head, obviously.

+1!

Smith Hustle and Phenom here. Zero gap, they practically lock together.
    Is “your mate” a bit of a Tefal? 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

Don’t get excited CFH, it’s all gone already.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.