• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1000!

hammerite
    Free Member

My name is hammerite and I own some Spyder gloves 😳

In my defence I got them at Easter from a shop in resort that had an end of season sale, so I didn’t pay a huge amount for them.

Do people actually wear these? They look like lederhosen made from technical fabric http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/spyder-mens-samples/mens-stretch-training-short-large-black

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spyder is typically worn by a doctor, dentist, army officer or City boy. Bought when flush, it’s “Still fine, even after fifteen years, see?”

I are currently wearing Eider, Schoffel, TNF, Salomon and Hestra. Thanks to those nice companies…….

Bunnyhop

I’m still wearing ‘Rodeo’ care of C&A.

Seriously I still have Westbeach which is over 10 years old. Why change the stuff when it’s fit for purpose?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Flashy are Hestra gloves worth the price? Even with a discount?

mefty
    Free Member

Yes

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree Hestra gloves are really good.

nedrapier

Hestra next on my list when the current Levels die.

Or more Levels. They are pretty good.

nedrapier wears Trew Gear Trewth Bibs, and one or more of Rab VapourRise Lite Tour, Norrona Falketind, ME Changabang.

stevomcd
    Free Member

michaelmcc: Hestra definitely worth it (at least at instructor price!).

I got a set of Heli-ski gloves last year, plus some merino liners for really cold days (I get cold hands). Wore them almost every day last season. Been great and still look brand new.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Snow getting silly in Sainte Foy too:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://hestragloves.com/en-us/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-glove/

I have the three finger version, in black.

Worth every penny! If you have to pay for them, that is! 😀

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My season’s looking even better now as a supplier has just invited me to a 3 day freebie in Morzine at the beginning of Feb, tagged on to the back of our annual Amsterdam trade fare!

Don’t mind if I do…

Digby

Digby wears a combination of Howies merino base layers, Arc’teryx jackets, TNF & Sweet Protection trousers, Dakine & Arc’teryx gloves. (worn under the sleeve cuffs).

Used to really like Westbeach stuff, but I’m a bit clumsy so they don’t tend to last very long. Once had a pair of Westbeach trousers that ripped open at the crotch – realised this when it was about minus 20 and when i picked up speed on the board, I could feel ‘Stephen & the twins’ shrinking! 😳

hammerite
    Free Member

I’m outfitted by Columbia Outdoors jacket, Quicksilver or Killtec trousers, Spyder gloves, baselayers from Helly and Odlo, Teklo socks, Lange boots and a Protec helmet. Then various random runny race t-shirts (technical fabric) and fleecey type things if it’s really cold.

Bunnyhop

I wear about 5 layers and a fleece buff.
    Thermal leggings under my fleece lined trousers.
    The best socks I can afford and mittens not gloves.
    Once had an out of body experience in Canada, minus 28 with wind chill, thought I was going to die. So always prepared now.

Snow above looks fantastic 🙂

cobrakai

Usually just westbeach trousers and depending on the weather that day some thermals. Eider jacket with TNF fleece and wicker top. Dakine gloves and a Bern helmet with a thin balaclava thingy under it.

Question for ski gurus. Currently have an old pair of rossi B2s which are seen as the best 50/50 ski. Going to whistler and japan this season so have been looking at a more 70/30 ski due to off piste and back country opportunities. The hard bit is, I’ll be tellieing so the skis have to be light for touring but I still want some stiffness/support for the piste.

Its driving me up the wall because I just can’t seem to find what I want. Thought of S7’s or the new Salomon rocker, but dont think I’ll get the piste support I’m after. K2’s skis seem to be polarised too much between pow and piste with not much inbetween.

At the end of the day, I’m asking, whats the best allrounder?!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glitchymogul

andytherocketeer

Avalanche today. Afaict 1 regained conciousness, 1 didn’t. There’s avy risk and barriers for a reason. 40 degree unpisted slope.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Arc’teryx gloves. (worn under the sleeve cuffs).

*Frown*… I HATE when kids in ski school insist on having the gloves tucked under the sleeve like that. Well, maybe not hate, but it can be slightly annoying when it looks like we’re all ready to ski off with all our skis/kit on and then some kids want their gloves tucked in.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Is everyone saying their clothing/kit list I’ll go!

Volcom jacket, some unknown make sallopets, helly thermal, ice breaker mid layer, TNF Down jacket to wear under my outer jacket (on really cold days), X-socks, reisch gloves, Oakley and Bolle goggles (both different lenses), Technica boots.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Question for ski gurus. Currently have an old pair of rossi B2s which are seen as the best 50/50 ski. Going to whistler and japan this season so have been looking at a more 70/30 ski due to off piste and back country opportunities. The hard bit is, I’ll be tellieing so the skis have to be light for touring but I still want some stiffness/support for the piste.

Wouldn’t exactly call myself a guru but I know a fair bit! I was in Whistler for a year, and I can say that the style of skiing there is a fair bit different to Europe! You RARELY see people just blasting on piste with their carver skis trying to get as much edge as possible, and hardly any mincers out there. Do the idea of what an all mountain is out there is a fair bit different to over here! If you’re like me you’ll pretty much never ski on piste in whis unless you’re skiing to another off piste place, or just finished an off piste run, so the piste capabilities of a ski would be very low on my list for whis, and japan. .
    Not sure about the touring possibilities of all mountain type skis these days. The rockers look like a sweet all mountain ski though. I own the line prophet 98’s which i love.

Digby

I HATE when kids in ski school insist on having the gloves tucked under the sleeve like that

lol … I know exactly what you mean michealmcc. I think winter sports/hobbies bring out the OCD in many people and there’s nothing worse than a fiddler & faffer when everyone else is ready to roll!

… bit like Rafa Nadal constantly picking at his wedgie, rubbing his nose, sniffing his fingers and putting his hair behind his ears! 😆

I reckon the ‘gloves under the sleeves’ thing only works if you have low profile gloves and suitable sleeves in your jacket. Watching people trying to do it with a gauntlet/powder cuff style of glove is like watching someone trying to cram a sleeping bag into a stuff sack! 😕

mechmonkey
    Free Member

The hard bit is, I’ll be tellieing so the skis have to be light for touring but I still want some stiffness/support for the piste.

Check out DPS skis. The Wailer 105 is the best ski I have ridden. Their pure range, if your pockets are deep, is exactly what your looking for.

Edit: to add Clicky for review of said ski

GrahamS

Never understood the whole “gloves under sleeves” thing.

Gauntlets work so much better. It’s just a stupid fashion-over-common-sense thing. Nothing wrong with looking good – but even in a ski resort you are still “in the mountains” and function comes first!

hammerite
    Free Member

Gloves under sleeves? What do you mean?

Like the opening end of your gloves under the end of your jacket sleeve? (technical terms coming to the fore).

I do that. Not for fashion wouldn’t know if it’s fashionable, just that it’s easier to get a tight seal between sleeve and glove for me that way. Stops any draft getting up my arm. I think I’ve only managed to get snow up my sleeve in my first week skiing which probably means I don’t try hard enough!

Digby

I’m a balding bloke in my forties so fashion isn’t exactly high on my priorities! 🙄

Comes down to personal preference I reckon – I can definitely see the advantages of ‘over’ gloves/mittens if you have narrow(ish) sleeves on your jacket and you frequently ride/bail in deep powder.

However in my own experience with ‘over gloves’ I always ended up with more snow in the gauntlet/cuff, forming chunks of ice which would invariable make their way into the glove part (when removing the glove etc) and melt thus making it harder to dry – leading to ‘funky glove’ syndrome. Plus I never got on with the extra bulk & fasteners & tassles etc.

Bit like mountain bike gloves I guess – some people like the gel padded variety and some people like the low profile seamless ones.

Vive le difference! 😀

GrahamS

I do that. Not for fashion wouldn’t know if it’s fashionable

Over used to be fashionable, back in the day. Under is these days.
    Those with sense do what works for them 😀

it’s easier to get a tight seal between sleeve and glove for me that way. Stops any draft getting up my arm.

I used to wear Burton Gauntlets that come halfway up your forearm and have big thick liners. Super toasty and drafts were definitely not an issue.

These days proper gauntlets are harder to get, due to folk going for under-cuff gloves. I’m currently using Dakine Scouts which are not bad.

I prefer over-the-cuff for two reasons: you don’t get snow up your arm when you fall over and have to push yourself up in deep powder (something that happens a lot to me as I’m very much a slackcountry novice) and it makes it much easier to quickly whip the glove off while taking photos.

Bunnyhop

My sleeves have those lycra end bits attached, that go over your hand and thumb (very warm) so it’s not possible to put my mitts under my sleeves.

I also use the mitt strings around my wrist (being a faffer) like a small child 🙂
    What’s all this fashion you talk off?

cobrakai

Mechmonkey, just checked out the DPS website and some reviews. Looks like exactly what I’m after but pricey.

Michealmcc, thinking the plan of attack will be find a good hire shop in Whistler and ask If they can get some skis in for me to demo. Cause they may need to get different bindings on I’ll need to get in touch before I go. Know any good hire shops there?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thumb loops? EVERYBODY loves a thumb loop!

Oh, and idiot strings around the wrists? No shame in that. Far better to be able to take gloves off on a lift for that scenic photo opp and not lose your £100 or so gloves!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hmm ye it depends what makes you’re after. Summit sports (just beside the main gondi building) seem to have the best selection of skis to buy. I never rented or demo’d skis out there myself, there is a demo tent at the top of the Whistler gondi where you just need to leave your credit card and take out any skis they have for demo that you like, no booking required.
    For shop’s I’d also highly recommend Can Ski and Whistler Village Sports (slightly biased with that place cuz I worked there!). The staff in both those places are really cool and friendly though. Both of those are at the top of the village stroll just before you get to the gondolas.

cobrakai

Going to narrow it down to 5 and see if between the shops I can demo at least 3. Will prob just go ahead and buy out there. Thanks for the help!

Ps, the missus worked 2 seasons there but because she insists on being stuck in the nineties (boarder), she can’t remember which shops will be best for ski demo’s. 🙄

hammerite
    Free Member

I like the look of thumb loops but never bought anything with them. Jnr decided it was cold so wore a base layer today with thumb loops under his school uniform, ended up getting a detention as a teacher thought he was wearing gloves in class!

Thanks for clearing up the sleeve/glove thing. Glad it’s something not to worry about! I’m another proud idiot string user.

igm

On the “what shall I wear topic”, as I tend to go near the end of the season (warmer with small children) the answer is very little.

Surfanic trousers a base layer and North Face gloves last year. No jacket required.

Bunnyhop

Ah yes skiing at the end of season can be incredibly warm.

A chap we skied with was so warm he took off all his tops. Luckily he had a pierced nipple to which he hung his lift pass.
    T’was very funny.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a transfer company to go from Geneva to Morzine? Aplybus is the cheapest I have come across at around £40 per head for the 6 of us (return trip too). That or does anybody live in the area that wants to make a couple of quid at the end of Feb?

justatheory
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a transfer company to go from Geneva to Morzine? Aplybus is the cheapest I have come across at around £40 per head for the 6 of us (return trip too). That or does anybody live in the area that wants to make a couple of quid at the end of Feb?

£40 sounds like a good deal. Our chalet’s transfer service is charging £55 per head return.

singletrackmind

Morz Express ? , as spin off of Cham Express .
    Should be less than £40, more like £30 if pre booked.
    Looking at booking tomorrow if my mate gets his ar$e in gear and says Yes , he is deffo up for a christmas bimble.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Oh and cobrakai, since you’re going to Whistler I’d deffo take a look at Prior skis. Made there in Function junction just outside, sick graphics and basis, you choose the ski and then the graphics after.

cobrakai

My mate sent me a link for a company. You send them any graphics you want and the type of ski’s, then they will make graphics for them. Quite cheap and all you have to do is heat treat them on. I’ll try and dig it out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.