• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • Rio

Piste to Powder in St Anton

Would second the recommendation for these people, they’ll do off-piste guiding in groups on a daily basis or I think individual guiding (at a price!), also try Snoworks if you’re prepared to commit to the whole week.

b17
    Free Member

torsoinalake – I’ve done two backcountry weeks with The White Room (same as recommended for summer bike hols!) as a solo. There were other solos and I found since everyone was there out of a common interest we got on ok. Can only help that The White Room do a great job too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Cheers Geoff – we’re full for our scheduled backcountry week on the 19th Jan, but looking at adding another one the following week. Ideally keeping it to snowboarders, but we do seem to have 12 people and 14 planks the previous week…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.planetski.eu/news/4395

More cannons in the Cairngorms. Not sure if we’d already done that!

Bunnyhop

Ooh dials and buttons and everything, does it go up to number 11?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s got big red buttons, too! 🙂

Bunnyhop

Fainting with joy.
    We’re hopefully up there for Christmas, so get those canons rolling boys (girls) 🙂
    Edit: I nearly wrote I like a big red knob but thought I’d get banned then I realised there’s only us special people that read this thread 😉

justatheory
    Free Member

Great news! I’m going for a week in Feb.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Jealous*

Nosy-vicarious mode on – Where are you off to then? 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

New board here, bindings mounted and ready to go. Riding all week next week!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which raises a question du jour for the STW Snowbunnies –

Why is snowboarding referred to as “riding”? Never quite got that. Possibly a hangover from surf terminology where one is “riding” the wave?

Either way, it’s not as good as skiing. 🙂

But it is better than blading. Then again, so is a nasty case of herpes.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You ride the board, simple as that. “Snowboarding” is also acceptable but a bit long.

“Boarding” of course, is a stoning offence.

toby1

Booking my first trip at the weekend with a group that regularly go – so looking forward to finding out a) what all the fuss is about, b) where the hell we will be going as it is decided on budget on the day I believe.

Should be a fun trip anyway – last week of January here we come!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Booking my first trip at the weekend

You lucky, lucky son of a bachelor! Etc!

Welcome to the fold…! 🙂 There’s been plenty of good advice on this thread (and last year’s edition) for first timers, but am sure that you’ll get the same if you ask nicely!

My top tip for noobs – Good gloves. Don’t skimp on your gloves. Cold hands = unhappy skier. Unhappy skier = someone who starts to doubt. Doubt is bad. Embrace the fun! With warm hands, of course.

stevomcd
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about the Daily Mail line in that article. Proper LOL.

justatheory
    Free Member

*Jealous*

Nosy-vicarious mode on – Where are you off to then?

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I’ll respond anyway 🙂

Me and the Mrs are taking the motorhome and going to Aviemore. Hopefully conditions will be good for Cairngorm and Glenshee. We are planning on going West too so although my Mrs doesn’t know yet if conditions are good I’ll also be checking out Glencoe. Should be a nice little prelude to Morzine in March.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Moving to St. Anton for the season a week today 😆

GrahamS

Why is snowboarding referred to as “riding”? Never quite got that. Possibly a hangover from surf terminology where one is “riding” the wave?

I call it riding, boarding, snowboarding, and sometimes even skiing!

But that’s just the kind of crazy rule-breaking maverick I am.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I never got it either, I think its a bit silly… what more can you expect from a bunch of smelly snowboarders though 😛 .
    I call them boarders, cuz thats what there are innit! You could use the word riders for skiers too, but everyone might get a bit confused then.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaand 900!!!!!

justatheory
    Free Member

Moving to St. Anton for the season a week today

Jammy sod.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Anybody a Les Arc’s vet? I am going in Feb and need to find something or a 9 year old boy who is not allowed to ski next year due to injury.

I need something fun but non contact or fall overish – ie MTB’s, skiing, snow board, bob sled

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I haven’t been to LA in years, but I loved it when I did! Then again, I was skiing…..

IIRC, there’s a cinema and a bowling alley (At 1800, I think) which might help!

nedrapier

Just seen torso’s post.

I spent 10 days in La Grave on my own a few years ago, staying in the hostel and flitting between Band of Boarders and Snowlegends, depending on what groups were going where. One of the best trips I’ve ever been on.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I call them boarders, cuz thats what there are innit! You could use the word riders for skiers too, but everyone might get a bit confused then.

Some of them have. The same ones that use 2 snowboards at a time, wear snowboard clothing brands and call their grabs “mute”. Even though they have neither a front hand, nor a toe edge… 😉

Kinda funnny really…. a ski version of wiggers…. skoarders?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

‘su, braaaaw?

Bunnyhop

Gee-Jay – Member

Anybody a Les Arc’s vet? I am going in Feb and need to find something or a 9 year old boy who is not allowed to ski next year due to injury.

I need something fun but non contact or fall overish – ie MTB’s, skiing, snow board, bob sled

Cheers There’s a swimming pool (I think 1800) also plenty to do in Bourg St Maurice.

GrahamS

My mate just messaged me. He was heading over to New York for a pre-Xmas break but has just re-routed to go to Whistler for the week instead. I think I hate him!

Digby

Why is snowboarding referred to as “riding”?

Because a ‘Boarder’ is the opposite of a ‘day-pupil’ and ‘Boarding’ is what one does before the aircraft taxis and takes off! 😆

It’s riding innit!

greggparker9
    Free Member

Just starting to sort my stuff out for 4 months in Vancouver! It’s going to be tough!!

greggparker9
    Free Member

I_Ache
    Free Member

I call skiing riding too but I am an idiot so ignore me.

hammerite
    Free Member

25% off everything at Two Seasons Two Seasons

Use code BEST25 at check out.

toby1

Thanks Capn, booked for a super low budget introduction in Andorra Pas de la Cassa. The accommodation looks ‘spirited’ but the guys I’m going with have used it before and it looks like the sort of bunkhouse you’d crash at in Wales when riding so seems just about fine and if they are happy enough to go back then why not!

Looking forward to it very much – last week in January here we come 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Toby – Andorra is pretty good for beginners (it’s fine for everyone else too!). Please tell me you’ll be booking lessons and not trying to just learn from your mates (unless they’re instructors!). Worth doing in Pas as it’s pretty cheap, we managed to get free tuition thrown in when booking lift pass and ski hire.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My lessons essentially only cost £40 as they include a Morzine/Les Gets lift pass. Well worth having lessons I think, I would still be struggling to stand if I hadn’t had them.

GrahamS

My now ex-mate says the sun is shining in Whistler, the girls in the Longhorn are as fit as ever, and there is lots more snow forecast today.

I’m. Really. Happy. For. Him. *gnash gnash*

andytherocketeer

Back from Obertauern. Bit soft around lunchtime, but then firmed up again later. Not a massive amount open, and the run back down meant a bit of grass hopping, but then it is still only November. Enough to keep us happy for a few days.

Handy that there’s a direct train from here to ski slopes 🙂

Off to Tignes this weekend for 2nd slide of the season 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I dunno, I go away for a couple of days* and when I get back, would you just look at the Serre Che webcams! Fat dumps all round!

*Oh yeah, sorry, I’ve been away in hospital for a while, as Mrs CFH gave birth to the most beautiful daughter a man could ever wish for! So, what skis for a toddler? Start ’em early! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.