Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,390 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition
  • rkk01
    Free Member

my ski tech guy is doing a pre-season tune

anyone do their own ski servicing?

I used to do my own minor base repairs, waxing & edges – but the kit I had has long since been scattered to the four corners.

Bit like bike mechanicing – I suspect most of what you pay for is little different than you would / could do yourself…?

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup. The advice on the Worden site is good if anyone wants to start (and reads French).

GrahamS

I’ve always waxed (and sometimes edged) my own board and repaired the odd Ptex ding.

It’s not too hard is it? Like pointless bike fettling I find it quite therapeutic.

rkk01
    Free Member

I find it quite therapeutic

yep, the smell of hot candle or wax…

Used to do this when I still lived with my parents though…my mother didn’t find it therapeutic – she seemed quite stressed when she realised her iron was being used to melt ski wax 😆

GrahamS

I’m still using a £5 “value” iron I bought from Woolworths back in the day 🙂

My current board (Bataleon) needs constant waxing though, which is a bit of a pain, so “in resort” I get someone else to do it (shop or chalet bod) or I just whack on a load of Zardoz every morning 😀

Not perfect, but I’m not exactly a “high performance” boarder and it leaves me more time for beer.

GrahamS

So much for Nevis and Glencoe opening this weekend – the lifts have been battered by the winds and I suspect most of their snow is somewhere over Norway by now! 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

anyone do their own ski servicing?

did my own edges last year, but i know the guy at the shop, so just swap the work for beer and cake. suits me!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://serrechevalier.panomax.at/cucumelle
    Live cam at the top of the Cucumelle in Serre Che. Looking gooooood!

Can I just add that the French for ski waxing is “fartage”. Which is very funny.

rkk01
    Free Member

French for ski waxing is “fartage”. Which is very funny.

My son is going to be very, very tickled with this 😆

hammerite
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Can I just add that the French for ski waxing is “fartage”. Which is very funny.

Glad I’m not the only one who loves this!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Makes me chuckle walking past all the shops advertising “Top fartage!” and the like..! 🙂

scaredypants

I’ve just recently binned a copy of that Toko video where they walked around a car park with skis attached and then repaired the damage

complete with 70s blue movie soundtrack !

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Seems that snake pass was blocked for 2 days this week with snow. Might be a fair bit up there then unless this wind has done some crazy stuff!

Bunnyhop

Hoping we get enough snow to ski in Hayfield again. T’was fun.

Fartage – very funny

Radioman

I’m in Val d’Isere now. We have had a massive dump of snow in the last 3 days. in fact they say so far this season 50 per cent of last seasons fall has already arrived here! conditions are great and now most things including the Tignes links are open. Bon skiing all! We have been waste(and more) deep in powder…luckily I have 2 weeks of this… 🙂

zbonty

Good news about the snow. January for me. Well excited!

Radioman

January should be goood. I am told more snow is on the way too ! My guides’ website has a good daily report of skiing here which I find useful to keep in touch with local conditions…..pls see. http://www.alpineexperience.com/waynes-daily-diary/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I just say…..

Week booked off in January! WOOOOOO!

Looks like there’s been plenty of the white stuff in the Alps, so here’s hoping for a good base!

BoardinBob

A very rough video from Glencoe on Monday

[video]http://vimeo.com/33620244[/video]

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’ve just splashed the cash for this winter…

plus

They’ll be fitted to older skis as I can’t afford (and I don’t actually need any new skis. They’ll be mounted on these.

bajsyckel

Nice boots TroutWrestler – where did you get them? looking for a new pair myself.

Thanks for the video Bob, should be up there tomorrow either on AT kit or twintip tele setup, depending on how the mood takes me. I’m hoping for good things – apparently this landrover [not my image] was visible at the weekend…

Bunnyhop

Did you ride ‘The Haggis trap’?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Boots from Mountain Spirit in Aviemore. NEED to mount the bindings before this weekend.

Dark-Side

No Alps trp for me this year 🙁 I will have to console myself with spending Christmas at the Inlaws in Lapland from Wednesday, and hey live 5 mins from a snow resort 🙂 no new get this year but I got a new Endevour board, SP bindings and Thirtytwo boots a year ago!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Thirtytwo boots! How many feet have you got? It must take some time strapping in…

bajsyckel

You do indeed need to get them mounted up, Glencoe was fantastic today. I’ve been considering moving to an NTN boot that I might be able to use with both tele and touring setups – still on old skool cables and AT kit but that sort of arrangement seems to work for some. [ps bunnyhop – Haggis Trap filling in nicely, Flypaper closed as windloaded snow and steep slopes means avalanche risk is high]

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The Shiver Evos that I bought don’t have Dynafit compatibility, but in theory will clip into AT bindings. It’s the reliable release that is the issue due to the rubber sole. £280 from MS, but I think I got the last pair.

Radioman

Bought some SCARPA Typhoon boots in Val d’Isere at the beginning of my trip… i’m pleased l did. Great boots . Quite light…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those look lovely….!

Oh, and can I just add that Serre Che in January is all booked and paid for….! WOO and indeed HOO!

Now, do I splurge a few beer tokens on a pair of skis or just stick to the “Superior” set I’ve reserved. Always a bit of pot luck hiring, but last year was a pair of Salomon Enduro, which I was very, very happy with.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Tonight I will mostly be waxing skis…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

gravity-slave – Member
    Tonight I will mostly be waxing skis…

Fartage… 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

not been in this conversation til now, but can i just add…

that i’m flying to geneva on friday and they have got an absolute ton of snow. there’s loads right down in the village and its still going!

shame i’ll be spending most of the time teaching the mrs how to board, but its looking like great conditions for her first time and hopefully i’ll get a bit of hiking/powder hunting in! maybe i’ll treat her to some lessons for christmas… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Did someone mention Val d’Isere? Only 3 days to go.. and look at the snow!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Peachos….Buy her some lessons as an early present! That way, she learns nicely and you get plenty of playtime in the fresh morning goodness before meeting her for a spot of lunch!

🙂

bazzer
    Free Member

I fly to Val on Friday 🙂

Where are you staying ?

Just spoke to a couple of mates who live there and they said the snow is epic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bazzer and DezB sitting in a tree….

😈

peachos
    Free Member

yep CFH – that’s the plan i think, either that or palm her off onto my mate who we’re staying with…being a female also she’s bound to be a better teacher than me!!

i’ve got another mate in val d’isere too – seen some of his pictures from the last week or so and it looks mental out there. i did a season there a while back and never saw anything like that in town…we’re talking a metre of the stuff piled on top of cars. incredible!

bazzer
    Free Member

Who do you know in Val ? , I did a season there in 2008-2009

DezB
    Free Member

I dunno.. Wifey books all that stuff! I’ll find out and post later. Be good to have someone to sit in a tree hook up with as wife and son will be in lessons 🙂

monotokpoint
    Free Member

This was my brother digging out our rental car in Tignes Le Brev on Saturday!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,390 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition’ is closed to new replies.