Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,390 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition
  • GrahamS

I’m guessing he might have been going for a jump next to the snow cannon and misjudged it?
    (he says having just spent a week watching people do exactly that).

Nasty one anyway. 🙁

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Sounds pretty bad. Here’s a couple things that spring to mind. It looks like thats a run leading back to the village he was on. In Whistler BC where I am, all the runs leading back to village are either blue or green runs, and are all slow zone areas. Big red fencing blocking the piste you have to slow down to get round, and men there looking like they’ll nab you if you’re going too fast, their main job is to slow people down and take of the signs i think.
    Also those speeds on a big open run is a bit stupid. If he didn’t lose control and hit the cannon, I bet he would have hit something or someone else. All for the sake of some lame bragging rights in a pub later that night I’m sure!
    I think things are a bit too safety concious here in whistler, but some of the euro resorts could take one or two leafs out of the book here.

Edukator
    Free Member

Solaise is a great run. Open at the top then a wide run through the trees back down to Val. “Les bosses de Solaise” were a notorious mogul field when I worked there in the 80s before cable anchors allowed bashing of steep pistes, it’s perfectly prepared these days. There’s netting; the usual pads on the snow cannons; the pisteurs are out there doing their job asking the over enthusiastic to slow down; there are safety posters to read on the pylons as you ride the chairs up.

I don’t want European resorts to do any more for safety because I like the hors piste that would get me arrested in Whistler.

Digby

I don’t want European resorts to do any more for safety because I like the hors piste that would get me arrested in Whistler

Really?

You might get a caution/pass revoked for excessive speed in a beginner/family area in Whistler (although most Canadians observe the signs) and no doubt a repeat offender or someone endangering others might be arrested, but you won’t get arrested for heading out into the Garibaldi Provincial Park for example.

Contravening some of the resort area ‘avalanche gates’ that are opened [conditions permitting] when you are wearing a beacon or ignoring a closed sign may also result in pass revoked.

Italy however (I think it was Livigno since Dec 2010] did make it a criminal offence to go off-piste unless accompanied by a qualified mountain guide.

Edukator
    Free Member

Sorry, Whistler as you correctly point out is not in the USA. I thought in Italy you just need a shovel, arva and probe rather than a guide.

Digby

Whilst not 100% clear and the link to the info on the APT Livigno website appears to be broken:

Livigno

“Officially ALL off-piste has been banned since December 2010 and you risk a fine from between 50-500 euros if you get caught, and possible jail if you accidentally set off an avalanche. You can only now go off-piste if you are accompanied by an official guide, but the resort is still a bit hazy as to what exactly constitutes off-piste”

Edit – has anyone from STW been recently and can verify the situation?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I don’t want European resorts to do any more for safety because I like the hors piste that would get me arrested in Whistler.

Thing is we have a huge amount of off piste here that is within the ski area boundary and avalanche controlled. You could have your pass revoked for skiing in the permanently closed areas. Not sure about the temporary boundrys, I think skiing in those is just at your own risk.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

the pisteurs are out there doing their job asking the over enthusiastic to slow down; there are safety posters to read on the pylons as you ride the chairs up.

Good to hear, it’s been a while since I’ve been skiing in France.

GrahamS

If anyone is still interested in Slovakia, I just wrote up a more detailed review of my trip over on SCUK:
    http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-50725.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are there any pics of you bustin’ out some phattt air or cruzin’ da’ POW?

😉

GrahamS

Sadly not. I didn’t bother taking the SLR this time, so just a few snaps from cameraphones.

I did shoot some video though. I’ll hack that together at some point and cunningly edit it to make me look like I know what I’m doing. 🙂

My air is distinctly phinn tho.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Italy did put in place a ban on off-piste skiing/snowboarding without a guide/instructor, however this only lasted for 1 season (2008/09 I think, maybe the year before or after). It is now a legal requirement to have a transceiver, shovel & probe (and, I think, a partner).

First law was massive overkill, can’t really argue with the second one.

shifter
    Free Member

Solaise is a great run.

Plan/piste M? Was great on Saturday, as was lunch at the restaurant at the top : )

hammerite
    Free Member

Anyone just come back from a week/weekend in the snow? How was it? Conditions? 5 days to go for me 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Nice in the morning, somewhat soggy in the afternoon in the Pyrénées.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hot hot hot in morzine 8)

slightly hard in the mornings, but softening up very quickly. very moguly by the end of the day in most places. good fun slush skiing!

pistes still very skiiable here, certainly linderets/avoriaz is in good condition, morzine less so, i believe.

shifter
    Free Member

I was in Les Arcs yesterday and it was classic spring stuff – solid cord followed by dusty cord, then softer, then mushy later. All of that on one piste if there’s enough shade. Off piste entirely tracked out but not unrideable once it’s warm. Still chilly at times, roasting at others.

I loved it and it was better than working!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

just back from a week in soll (ski welt) great week

18 degrees and sunny during the day and cold enough to refreeze at night and we got a foot of fresh on monday!

snow holding up well above 1200m on the north facing side but southside and low levels losing a lot of snow

hammerite
    Free Member

Good good, sounds like everyone has had great times.

Edukator, did you get heavy snowfall early last week? I only ask as they had problems with Volta Catalunya bike race due to snow.

enduro – we’re off to Kitzbuhel so encouraging to hear it’s still good in Soll. The big problem for me is what clothes to take – looks cold in the morning but really warm later on.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes, Hammerite, between 10 and 30cm depending on altitude. It’s been dry and sunny since though so the snow is thoroughly transformed at all altitudes and melting fast low down.

shifter
    Free Member

Vents are your friend Hammerite. I was wearing ls base, gillet and a shell but I’m cold blooded, mates were in less…

hammerite
    Free Member

The Mrs will be in full on winter gear regardless. She’s a better skier than me so I rely on grunt factor, especially in mounds of sugar so I warm up pretty quickly.

I’m hoping it gets to bikini weather like when we were in Les Arcs last year. Not me or the OH wearing them! But hordes of students from Manchester University who were there at the same time 8)

I did wonder how long that snow would last for Edukator. We had an Easter in Andorra a couple of years back, it was great, warm a couple of days, followed by a couple of days cold and snowy, then warm again. No Manchester Uni students to deal with, but a stack load of Portuguese students – who I think gave British students a good name!

Edukator
    Free Member

As an alternative to all the rad pics here’s how I’ve spent most of this Winter on skis:

stevomcd
    Free Member

I slammed so hard yesterday. It was been a long time since I’ve taken a hit like that snowboarding.

Gunning it switch, as fast as I ever ride in my normal stance. Edge-catch in heavy slush. Boom. Straight down before I even knew what was happening.

Day of rest today. 😳

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Am in Les Arcs in about 5 sleeps, getting excited now 🙂

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Hammerite…..only think i can suggest is make sure that your winter gear has vents and no matter what the temp always wear gloves, we seen a few folk with bloody hand from falling while not wearing gloves

we skied with salopetes (leg vents open) t shirt and light jacket (somthing like a soft shell but still with vents, as long as your moving you will be fine and when you stop ditch the jacket

night times its still jeans and jacket or hoodie weather

GrahamS

always wear gloves

I find “Park/pipe” gloves very useful for spring skiing/boarding.

(decent full finger bike gloves will do too)

Digby

@ stevomcd

Ouch … hope you’ve not bruised anything serious. Did you catch your heel or toe edge whilst riding switch?

btw – thanks for the Livigno clarrification. I’ve ridden in (and around) Courmayeur in the past couple of years and noticed that they provided avalanche transceiver test & practice areas but wasn’t sure of the situation in Italy outside of the vallee d’aosta

Did my first ever winter holiday in Livigno ten years ago and never really saw much of the place apart from the bunny slopes …

nedrapier

Stevo – ouch! whiplash today?

On a lighter note, this is the first time I’ve seen this thread title and got a little flutter of adrenaline and anticipation. Trip’s getting closer!

Off a week on Thursday to France with wifey-to-be Ceri. 2 days with mates in Les Gets at the end of their trip, a day in Les Arcs, 4 day’s touring hut-to-hut in the Vanoise National Parc, then a week in Cham with my mate Robbie and his fiancee. Taking the week as it comes: touring, climbing, walking, St Bernard Monastery, huts, Gran Paradiso, Mont Blanc, lolling about in the sun, semi-gnar… Whatever looks best when we’re there.

The knee’s much better, I sold the Voile, bought a Venture Zephyr + G3 skins for me and a K2 Panoramic for Ceri, both with big wedges off in sales.

Cannae wait! Fingers crossed for snow, weather, and the knee.

nedrapier

Digby – when are you off to Norway?

surfdad
    Free Member

Been watching this thread all winter, it’s provided hours of amusement! I have a pass to go snowboarding for a week after Easter (14th April) and there are some blinding deals, BUT I need a +1. Anyone fancy it? Or know of a way of finding someone who might?

GrahamS

You could try SCUK, they have a “No Mates” forum for people looking for +1s:
    http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewforum-f-12.html

surfdad
    Free Member

Thanks Graham I’ll give that a go. I’d found the one on snowheads but not on SCUK. Cheers …

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sounds like an awesome trip Ned. I’m off to Courmayeur on Sunday, 2 weeks teaching groms to ride!

Very sore shoulder and neck yesterday, easing off a bit today. Think I must have caught my toe edge. All happened a bit fast, haven’t been catapulted into the deck like that for years!

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks Enduro/Graham – I took my Specialized sub zero inners last year and they did the trick.

Digby

nedrapier – just under 3 weeks to go until Norway. 😮

Feeling ok(ish) fitness-wise. Been doing plenty of running & cycling etc. This recent fine weather has made it fairly easy getting out of the house for early morning runs, so can’t complain.

Your trip sounds fantatastic – a little bit of everything! Fingers crossed you get some good conditions for your various plans!

Be interested to know how you get on with the Venture Zephyr.

Out of interest, what boots do you use for splitboarding? I’ve been using Salomon Malamutes for quite a few years as they fit great and I like the stiffness, but find they aren’t lasting very long – i.e. they are packing down after about 6 weeks riding (at least one week of which would be pretty intensive touring). I then end up cranking the bindings pretty tight which results in foot pain.

Ended up having to buy another pair of Malamutes whilst in Fernie this year and paying literally top-dollar (about £280 when they are only £230 RRP in UK). I’ve tried to get hold of the Spark R&D Deeluxe boots but left it too late in the season (and postage/import duty makes them too expensive to buy direct from Spark R&D)

Digby

@ stevemcd – hope the stiffness in your neck & shoulder eases.

Did anybody witness you hitting the deck? There’s nothing quite like a tremendous bail in front of friends to provide your mates with hours of amusement at your expense is there?

stevomcd
    Free Member

@Digby – I think half the seasonnaires in the resort witnessed it. And they told the other half. People who weren’t even there were talking about it in the pub last night!

BTW, I’ve got the Spark R&D boots. Pretty impressed, they’ve held-up very well to a full season’s riding. Haven’t done loads of split-boarding so far this year, but plenty of hiking and they’re great for that.

Digby

I think half the seasonnaires in the resort witnessed it. And they told the other half. People who weren’t even there were talking about it in the pub last night!

lol – Pleased to hear that your pain, discomfort and embarrassment wasn’t in vain and you’ve provided immense pleasure to others at your expense! 😆

Thanks for the Spark R&D boots comments. Interesting – how are they size wise? One of the reason I prefer Salomon over say the likes of Thirty Two is I’ve got quite narrow feet. Did you have to drop a size or half size from normal ‘street’ footwear?

I think it’s touring/hiking/sweating/crampons etc that accellerates the decline in my malamutes. Plus I don’t tend to loosen my laces too much when touring as too much foot movement in the boot tends to lead to rubbing and cause blisters on my soft peely-wally feet! 😯

Bunnyhop

Its so easy to catch an edge in spring conditions.

So 3 stwers go to Les Arcs, 2 skiers, one boarder and the snow is holding up remarkably well considering it’s warm as a gorilla’s armpit. Layers are the answer.

Today we skied the top to bottom from Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger, with a couple of stops to catch breath, then a lovely lunch in the restaurant in Villaroger, which has a proper mountain (not tourist) feel.

The highlight of today was the “piste natur” , mostly reds, with some bumps, rocks, drops and narrow bits to keep you on your toes.

Been a bit of a chilling holiday with a later start and skiing until we (nearly drop).

I hope it snows before the Easter break as a little more is always appreciated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,390 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition’ is closed to new replies.