Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,390 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And there’s been plenty of it on here!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm. Take two pairs of ski trews or just one?

This whole 20kg limit is a pain!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

ski trews

ski trousers???

nbt

I don’t think I’ve ever taken two pairs of salopettes, except for the roadtrip round scotland where weight wasn;t an issue as we were in the caravan. Even for two weeks in Canada, one pair is enough

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, trousers.

Am always paranoid about shredding a pair, for some reason!

Tend to take two jackets most times as well. Either one warm/one shell, or one to wear in day and one to wear in evenings.

rkk01
    Free Member

2 pairs of skis or 1??? 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I rent, so I can have as many pairs as I like during a week!

“Oooh look, it’s snowing hard. I think I shall change my skis this morning!”

🙂

GrahamS

Cram stuff into the ski/board bag – that’s what we do.
    You’re usually paying extra for its carriage and typically you are allowed 10-15kg in it (check!).

I rent,

Aaah…

Renting? Isn’t that a bit y’know, “common” for you Flashy?

Edukator
    Free Member

CFH is renting. Wear it. The classic mountaineering trick is to wear everything you can including the boots. A sauna for an hour rather than pay the excess baggage. In these days of security searches and scans it might not go down as well though. Check terms and conditions and print them out so you can argue your case.

rkk01
    Free Member

Last time I flew to the Alps, Sleezy Jet were checking ski bags to make sure they only included “sports eqpt” – that’ll be socks, gloves, etc, etc, then…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, it just makes sense! Especially with all the other toys I have already, skis seem a bit much for one or two weeks a year!

2tyred

wear everything you can including the boots

On one trip I was told I couldn’t have my helmet strapped onto my backpack, which I was taking on as hand luggage. So I put it on instead, there seemed to be no problem with that.

ocrider

Two pairs for a weeks skiing? Ones good enough for a season (apart from the comedy onesie from the charidee shop)

GrahamS

skis seem a bit much for one or two weeks a year!

Fair enough.

I have the option to head up to Scotland when the snow is good (or when I fancy a blast at Sno!Zone) so my own board makes sense. That’s how I justify it anyway.

Plus rental boards are typically awful and you have to spend the first morning of your holiday queueing at a hire shop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, when I get to play at Hemel, I have free use of the S&R test pool of skis to play with! 🙂

RE hire kit in resort, I always go for the uber-shiny option, and having my own boots means none of that queue rubbish! Also, we tend to arrive on a morning flight, and then go to the shop after a spot of lunch. Last year I had some brand spanking new Salomon Enduros, which were ace.

GrahamS

free use of the S&R test pool of skis

Oh, nice! I bought my board from TSA after spending a day demoing stuff at the “Big Bang Snowboard Show” at Xscape. I’m typically sceptical of such things, but it the variety in the boards was amazing, even to an old bumbler like me.

I always go for the uber-shiny option

Been a while since I’ve hired right enough, but resorts never seemed to offer the same performance range of boards. I guess it may have changed.

I was always a bit restricted on choice anyway as I’m a big lad with clown feet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

but resorts never seemed to offer the same performance range of boards. I guess it may have changed.

From what I see/know about it, the range of boards available tends to be a lot lower quality than that of skis. Not sure why that is, perhaps more people buy their own boards than skis, meaning that there’s less demand for them. With skis, you can get anything from a really basic ski, all the way to some pretty hardcore stuff at the other end. Taking a while to chat to the hire guys, and/or ring in advance, has always really helped me in terms of getting the right sort of skis for me.

Still tempted to buy some, though! 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Still tempted to buy some, though!

prolly won’t save you any money but it is nice having the consistency of performance to rely on/guage against, plus there is no running round shops looking for a specific skis in your length and having to patiently insist to the ski tech that your don’t want skis that are the wrong size just ‘cos he says that it won’t make any difference.

plus I always seem to like Rossi skis best, and want a 50/50 ski, so it narrows down the choice a bit.

GrahamS

Not sure why that is, perhaps more people buy their own boards than skis

Yeah I think the other thing is that in snowboarding comfy bindings with the right flex are fairly crucial, as is proper stance (angles, width, layback) so it’s a bit easier just to have your own board with good bindings set up just the way you like them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe that’s it. The boots are key for skiing, and more and more people seem to have their own.

peachos
    Free Member

Cram stuff into the ski/board bag – that’s what we do.
    You’re usually paying extra for its carriage and typically you are allowed 10-15kg in it

you’re board/ski bag is allowed up to be up to 32kg (max manual handling) with easyjet. i can get a week’s worth of gear in there easily. usually cram my board & boots and a mate’s skis in one bag with a few pieces of clothing then have separate 20kg baggage with his boots and the rest of the clothes/gear. works out well – we’re paying £85 each to get to Geneva and back next month!

Ryan Air max allowance for a ski/board bag is 20kg.

hammerite
    Free Member

We’ve always managed fine with 20kgs up until the last trip. I had boots for the first time, so 2 pairs of boots and 3 x 20kg luggage allowance becomes hard work. I’m dreading it when Jnr’s feet stop growing (he’s 10 and is already in a size 26 ski boot), 3 pairs of boots with only 60kg allowance will be a pain.

We hire skis, for 2 weeks away it seems to make sense. Although for our upcoming trip ski hire looks like it’s going to be over £100 each, the OH said “shall we just both buy skis?”

Anyone been on SportPursuit recently? Haglofs sale (I love Haglofs stuff even though I can’t afford it), Bolle Goggles and K2 helmets. I might get some new goggles, but the lens tint always baffles me, what conditions is a vermillion lens for?

scruff
    Free Member

Suggestions please-

Feb/March 4/5 dayer inc weeekend, flying from Midlandsish airport.
    priorities-
    Snow sure (genital deep powder prefered)
    Intermediate /expert terrain
    Easy access to lifts
    Good food
    Quick transer
    Like gladed / tree runs

Not too bothered about nightlife, dont need any rentals.

Scruff.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

2 pairs of skis or 1???

Yep, I’m starting to build up quite a quiver of skis this season so this will soon be my question! 🙂

GrahamS

Ryan Air max allowance for a ski/board bag is 20kg.

Yep, and they charge £50 each way!!

Suddenly my budget £60 return flight looks a lot more expensive! Gits! 👿

Why is it that 98kg of me can fly for £30, but 20kg of gear in the baggage hold costs £50???

hammerite
    Free Member

scruff – someone will probably be along to make a good suggestion for resorts. We always tend to go high as we go early/late season so there tends we’re usually above the tree line.

I’d probably recommend early March if you’re thinking of a France trip. The different areas of France have their half terms on different weeks in Feb so resorts can be busy/more expensive to stay in.

hammerite
    Free Member

Why is it that 98kg of me can fly for £30, but 20kg of gear in the baggage hold costs £50???

I often wonder this. I reckon we should all have 110kg limit, that includes our body weight and whatever cargo we want to take. Being a lightweight I’d have nearly 40kg spare.

GrahamS

I don’t see why I can’t just book two seats and have my luggage on the seat next to me 🙂

ocrider

I’d probably recommend early March if you’re thinking of a France trip. The different areas of France have their half terms on different weeks in Feb so resorts can be busy/more expensive to stay in.

FWIW, the first full week in March is still half term in some parts of the country: Marseille, Nice, Strasbourg…

At least Paris go back a week earlier, they’re the crowd to avoid (18th feb – 5th mar)

Tracey

Still no news from hospital for my shoulder op and didnt think we would be going this year. Ive been looking at deals all week and was going to go for my birthday on the 29th Jan leaving the girls with my parents for the week.
    Just seen a good deal for 5th Feb to Sestriere from Doncaster and impulse booked it. Not told the girls yet but didnt realise I was taking them to see Snow Patrol on the 7th. They arnt happy that they arnt going boarding yet. Need to sort the gig before I tell them

Crell
    Free Member

Tuner’s just called to say my ski’s are ready 🙂 One week to go then I’m off. I can’t wait.

Jet 2 are 60 for ski carriage (50 if you book online, and free if you use the “Freeski” code).

Suggestions please-

I’d just book a flight to Geneva and then sort out the accommodation when you know where the snow is. Transfers are going to be 90 mins plus in a car though wherever you head to.

Just seen a good deal for 5th Feb to Sestriere from Doncaster and impulse booked it.

Nice, that’s the spirit! You could take the kids with you though? I have a week’s pass, back for a week then we’re all going. If they weren’t getting a trip I don’t think I’d be welcome in the house.

Anyone been on SportPursuit recently? Haglofs sale (I love Haglofs stuff even though I can’t afford it),

Never seen that site before but thanks for pointing out somewhere else to waste my money.

Tracey

Cant take them out of school, if i havent had my op by Easter may take them then

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What skis is everyone on then?

shifter
    Free Member

Is it holiday time tomorrow?
    Better start packing 😀

afrothunder88

New boots purchased last night, goggles also finally turned up, ski servicing equipment should be arriving today and its currently snowing in Les Menuires! 1 Week to go with a weekend spent learning to to service ski’s. Should be fun!

GrahamS

Just trying to figure out baggage for our trip.
    We plan to put both boards and bindings in one bag, along with gear up to the 20kg max.

Hold bags are only 15kg max (blimmin RyanAir), so we may end up wearing our snowboard boots on the plane to save weight 😀

nbt

Mostly, 169 movement flames with Vist 412 Titanal bindings
    Less often, 183 Movement Gladiators with Vist 412 bindings

2tyred

Is it holiday time tomorrow?

It certainly is! 😀

And its looking pretty white out there on the ole webcams!

peachos
    Free Member

Forum Seeker 158 with Forum Platform v1.8 bindings and 32 Lashed boots 😉

peachos
    Free Member

Yep, and they charge £50 each way!!

Suddenly my budget £60 return flight looks a lot more expensive! Gits!

didn’t realise that – feckers!! i try my hardest not to fly with them any more though – last time was a few years ago now when the decided to charge me £40 extra for a tripod on the return flight…which they’d happily let me take onboard for nothing on the outward journey.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,390 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition’ is closed to new replies.