Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,390 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brent had made the front half of a foot out of wood and hollowed it out so it fit snug against the guys foot stump. He then cut a boot in half, put the wooden foot into it, and fused it back together so the pilots bad foot would be supported.

Awesome!

Well, varying levels of snow reports are predicting varying levels of snow for the weekend and next week. So, here’s the question – Which is the most reliable online forecast for Serre Che?

bearGrease

Germknoddel

AKA Boob Pudding. Yum.

bex
    Free Member

Just got back from a week’s snowboarding in Bansko (Bulgaria). Ridiculously cheap, decent hotel and good quality, if a little limited, boarding. Can definitely recommend if you want a MUCH cheaper option to the Alps, although if apres and luxury are your thing, this ain’t for you – this is Eastern Europe and things are basic to say the least. Nor is it for the piste-bashers. But we went for the express purpose of honing skills and gaining confidence on steeper sections/ going faster and for this the place was perfect. 7 weeks and 4 days to go until we next hit the slopes in Passo Tonale!!!

hammerite
    Free Member

The OH all but agreed to booking our 2nd trip of the season, likely to be Kitzbuhel. It being our 2nd trip this one is based pretty much on price, so we have a shortlist of Kitzbuhel or Soldeu (we’ve found places with free kids places which makes a hell of a difference!). We’ve skied the Granvallira before and loved it, but I’m really keen on going somewhere new – it’s really hard to beat Austria.

GrahamS

being our 2nd trip this one is based pretty much on price

Having got the lowdown from jamiep of this parish I am now seriously considering a sneaky 2nd lads-only trip to Jasna (Slovakia).

And I have wife approval!! 😀

(though I’m not proud of how I earned it… those images will haunt me for long time to come…)

shifter
    Free Member

Hello, first post on this great thread though have been reading forever! Going to 3 Valleys on Saturday – can’t wait and BBC thinks that the snow’ll be starting again on Thursday – woop 😀 😀

grum
    Free Member

Add Kassspatzl to the list of Austrian delicacies – it’s like Macaroni cheese on steroids, lovely stuff. A bit of leberknodelsuppe always goes down well too.

One thing to bear in mind should you visit Austria and go to a sauna/steam-room – nakedness is strictly enforced!

I just have a big fondness for Austria – lived there as a kid for a year when I learned to ski and I just love the way they have a proper mountain culture where are the kids learn from about 3 etc. And they do seem to take a lot more pride in the mountain restaurants than in France. They are generally massive rednecks though – there’s a lot of awful awful ooompah folk music jazzed up with dance beats. ‘Tis quite funny though.

GrahamS – I’ve been to Jasna, I didn’t find it that great tbh but it was lashing it down with rain when we were there. People who had been there a week or two earlier said it was awesome when there was lots of powder though. And beer/hotdogs etc by the ski runs are very reasonable indeed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Welcome, Shifter!

I’m off next week as well, and all the forecasts I can find have snow for Friday/Saturday of this week, and then more from Wednesday of next!

GrahamS

GrahamS – I’ve been to Jasna, I didn’t find it that great tbh but it was lashing it down with rain when we were there.

Yeah that would put a (literal) dampener on things. 🙁

jamiep has been 5 times and kindly showed me his holiday photos. They were enough to convince me. 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

Careful what you wish for CFH, given very recent history, that snow Friday/Saturday could impede your progress in to resort or bring lockdown in it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point, Hammerite!

Been speaking to a couple of folks out there, and they reckon it’ll only be about 5-10 inches at most, so unlikely to shut things down. The main road from Turin to Briancon/Serre Che, through Montgenevre and Claviere way is usually pretty reliable. Coming over the Lautaret way is the more likely to be shut down.

But yes, fingers crossed….! 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for the welcome 🙂
    Did someone say oompah? Was in Serre Chev last year, saw a great oompah band on the Friday up the mountain at Serre Ratier. Cafe du Soliel I think it was. Great spot for sunny lunch.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A quick chorus of “Anton aus Tyrol” anyone…

grum
    Free Member

I think DJ Otzi is actually from St Johann where I went. Amazing.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRe3gLoE0wU[/video]

hammerite
    Free Member

5-10cm (of snow :wink:) should do very nicely indeed then CFH.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Serre Ratier. Cafe du Soliel I think it was. Great spot for sunny lunch.

And MAHOOOSIVE pizzas!

However, my choice is the Bercail, at Aravet. No oompah band has been spotted there as yet. Thankfully!

Oh, and surely we can hijack this somehow!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/9020275/Live-webchat-ski-and-snow-holidays.html

Woody
    Free Member

Seriously tempted by this Verbier Chalet deal. Only drawback is Birmingham departure.

Should I hang on and wait for something even better nearer the time (10th March)?

Any feedback re Verbier appreciated.

Cheers

hammerite
    Free Member

Woody – I think that’s an Inghams property, if so check out the same place on the Inghams website directly, you’ll probably find a flight somewhere more convenient for you.

I know what you mean about holding on for last minute, I never can, get too excited looking at deals!

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers, you’re right. £513 from Newcastle.

Good deal I think but the mate I’m going with is keener to wait and he’s probably right. It’ll let us see where the best snow is too the longer we leave it 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

I went with Inghams at Christmas to Cervinia. Thought they were excellent all round really, especially the food at our hotel (Inghams employed staff).

mefty
    Free Member

Verbier is a great resort, one of my favourites, for anyone from intermediate upwards, although it is wallet lightening. That hotel is very central, near where I have stayed, you can walk to the lifts or get the bus if hung over.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I jsut give a big “WOOO!” to the folks at Crystal? Just had a voicemail from the in resort rep (Who sounded lovely!) to see if I had any questions before heading out there, feel free to call etc.

Really impressive little service touch there!

Woody
    Free Member

I did wonder about ‘in resort’ prices in Verbier after a very expensive trip to St Moritz a few years ago! Looks good though.

2tyred

Verbier is ace – some brilliant terrain with easily accessible backcountry provided you’re happy to hike and know what you’re doing. I’d go back in a flash, rode some real memorable stuff there.

Can’t comment on the resort itself – only went there once for a pizza. I daresay its not the cheapest if you’re doing the full chalet/apres ski type thing. I’m a total cheapskate and HATE wasting an hour by stopping for lunch (baguette and cheese on the chairlift type of guy) so tend to avoid cafes on the mountain.

When I went, we stayed in a cute wee house just above Nendaz (nearest village on the Mont Fort side) owned by former Swiss world cup skier Steve Locher. It was his dad (Alain) that handled all the rental stuff, the house had loads of mementoes from his career, it was ace.

Woody
    Free Member

Sounds brilliant 2tyred.

Not too worried about mountain eats as I’ll wager I’m more of a cheapskate than you (Aberdonian 8) ) but while I don’t mind paying a bit extra for a decent chalet/hotel, at my age I need it, I do resent being financially raped when I fancy a few beers.

mefty
    Free Member

I do resent being financially raped when I fancy a few beers.

Might not be the place for you, there are some cheaper places but its also hosts hedge fund managers who spray magnums of vintage champagne over night clubs. My guess is it is easier to find the cheaper places in Verbier than St Moritz but they are still not cheap.

GrahamS

Maybe you should be looking at Jasna too Woody?

60p a pint sounds much more Aberdonian-friendly 😀

Woody
    Free Member

Worth considering but as it’s my only trip this year I want to make as certain as I can that it will be a good one and I know very little about it .,,,,…..but 60p a pint <Homer voice>.hmmmm beer

Definitely want to go high and as I’ve skied loads in Tignes/Val d’Isere and Val Thorens/Courcheval I fancy a change.

Also first hol in 6 years where I’ll be skiing rather than boarding 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another one turns to the good side of the force! 🙂

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Another one turns back to the wrong side of the force 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

This place is very different from French ski forums. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the price of beer in bars mentioned let alone head the list of important things to consider when deciding where to go! Just how much do STWers drink?

22 days up the hill so far his year and I haven’t bought a single drink in a bar. We’ve got through a few bottles of Champagne, Bordeaux and Jurançon in our flats though.

nbt

Jurançon

When I lived in Pau I used to knock around with a guy called Pierre whose dad owned a vineyard in Jurançon.

And yes, it’s about the skiing not the drinking. I can get leathered at home. Then again, I can get leathered on two pints now so I can still afford to do it in a ski resort 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

I hope you’ve kept in touch so he can send you a case now and then.

grum
    Free Member

This place is very different from French ski forums. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the price of beer in bars mentioned let alone head the list of important things to consider when deciding where to go! Just how much do STWers drink?

22 days up the hill so far his year and I haven’t bought a single drink in a bar. We’ve got through a few bottles of Champagne, Bordeaux and Jurançon in our flats though.

Some trips are more about spending every possible minute skiing/boarding – the last one I did was a much more sociable one. I was with my gf and another beginner and we had a very relaxed time with lots of stops, as much about soaking up the views and atmosphere as the boarding, which was also awesome btw. It’s not so much being able to drink loads for me – we didn’t at all – it’s just nice to have some proper warm hospitality and not to feel like people are out to rip you off at every turn.

Sampling local food and drink is a really fun part of a holiday for me – this being STW though of course anything less than 8 hours a day of hard skiing makes you a wuss. What’s the ski equivalent of a rigid singlespeed? Telemark?

GrahamS

let alone head the list of important things to consider when deciding where to go! Just how much do STWers drink?

On holiday? Not unusual to have 4 or 5 pints in a day,I’d say.
    More on a night out.

It’s mainly a cost of living indicator though isn’t it?
    We usually have lunch and sometimes evening meals out. Cheap beer usually equates to cheap food costs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh no….he’s mentioned telemarkers….

Thread explodes! 🙂

Bunnyhop

It’s only taken 17 pages 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

On holiday? Not unusual to have 4 or 5 pints in a day,I’d say.
    More on a night out.

I read that initially as 4-5 pints on the slopes then more on a night 😯 I assume it’s 4-5 total, which seems entirely reasonable.

The problem this time, is that both my mate and I are skiing as ‘single blokes’ for the first time in ages and there may be the odd temptation…………

Edukator
    Free Member

skiing as ‘single blokes’

Austria then, with a stop off in Germany at the border town of Fussen. After a quick Google the girls in the Villa Allgäu would be a more tempting way of disposing of cash than beer were I a single man.

Woody
    Free Member

You can’t beat a bit of local knowledge. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,390 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition’ is closed to new replies.