Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,390 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition
  • bazzer
    Free Member

My oakley A frames are about to die after about 10 years of a lot of skiing. I will replace with another pair. Purple iridium for sunny days and perissimon for low light.

I wear a helmet so don’t tend to wear sunnies, I find my eyes just water without goggles.

Bunnyhop

My new salomon helmet has a peak, so it drives me mad when I want to take goggles off,(they dangle off the back) however the peak is great when it’s snowing or sunny.
    Like nbt, I’ve been wearing a helmet for at least 8 years, so googles, not glasses for me (also they stay on when you crash).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My new salomon helmet has a peak, so it drives me mad when I want to take goggles off

phew – I was just about to buy a salomon patrol with a peak, but bought a Casco Airwolf with a token peak instead, which hopefully won’t get in the way 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bought a Casco Airwolf with a token peak instead

2 things….

1 – You are Banker’s Brim!
    2 – While wearing your Airwolf, I expect you to be sure that at ALL times, you are singing along to this merry little ditty!

Airwolf…..ROFLCOPTERZ! Etc.

GrahamS

Found the perfect t-shirt for you Captain:

http://www.loveincsnowboardcompany.com/clothing-detail.aspx?Page=Skier%20Tshirt

(PC Disclaimer: not that there is anything wrong with that. Some of my best snowsports are gay.. etc etc etc)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nah, I’m more about the white lines…..going through my mind. Etc.

(PC Disclaimer – I am not advocating the use of drugs. On a mountain or anywhere. Apart from adrenaline and a cold beer, that is. And perhaps a cigar over lunch.)

GrahamS

Well played sir.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chuckles!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Looks sunny for the next week in the alps..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DAMN!

Want some proper turbo-puke conditions over the next couple of weeks. Before I get out there! Then it can be bluebird skies every day for a week! 🙂

Oh, and also – http://www.wipe-out.eu/products.shtml
    Genius idea! A piste map that’s a goggle cloth. No more fiddling about with soggy folded maps in the wind and snow for me!

freeridenick
    Free Member

yes annoying, i am off the st anton on saturday – maybe a dusting tomorrow they say.. 😈

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

good link ! Bought one 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

P2P says 20cms tomorrow. we shall see….

anyway I have Graham, owner of P2P guiding us all week so if anyone he will find the goods… 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad to have been of assistance, TurnerGuy!

(On another note, when was the last time there was a thread this big on STW without any arguments? (Well, apart from the obvious board/ski banter, but that doesn’t count!)
    😀

GrahamS

Shame those wipeout cloths don’t cover the Styria / Ski Amadé region (Austria).

But they have a much geekier solution there anyway: free wi-fi around the mountain and a free Ski Amadé Mobile App (for Android and iPhone) that shows your position on the piste map and also records all your runs.

Actually looks quite good (if you can pick through the German interface) but I think I’ll be packing a paper map as well, just in case 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, their range is expanding every year. Only did about 3 last year, more this. For example, there wasn’t one for Serre Che last year, there is now.

Tidy idea, I reckon.

Free wifi on the hill? Not sure I approve! I like getting away from teh interwebz on holiday!

GrahamS

Tidy idea, I reckon.

yeah like it.

I can see a couple of drawbacks: ski maps change a lot year on year as new lifts are built and territory is opened or closed – so I’d probably want the latest one each year. And we rarely go back to the same place twice, though I see the maps cover fairly decent areas.

Still a good idea though.

Free wifi on the hill? Not sure I approve!

Yeah not sure I do either. No doubt all the folk updating twitter and facebook will make an excellent meat slalom.

I suppose it does have the advantage that we can iMessage/What’s App/Skype each other on the hill without incurring the huge roaming costs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point re messaging on the hill, but roaming charges are comign down all the time.

Am sure that the cost of Wipeout will come down as they grow. Good point re changes, but realistically, those changes only happen every few years, not each year. As to people not going to the same place, many people do and I suppose that’s the best target market for them. (BTW, I have no affiliation with Wipeout)

GrahamS

I have a drawer full of old paper piste maps. No idea why I keep them as I can get it all online, but I like looking at them from time to time, especially when thinking about where to go next time 😀

As to people not going to the same place, many people do

Don’t really understand why folk do that. Or (worse) go to the same place for a summer holiday every year either. The world is a BIG place – there’s lots to see!

We sometimes cycle back around to the same resorts, but usually only after a good few years break.

This year is the first year we’ve gone back to the same resort as last year – and that is purely because the beer was cheap and we needed something easy with a 22 month old.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am booked on one of the P2P courses in St Anton for the week 30th Jan 🙂

And just bought a ContourROAM for £165 on ebay atm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ContourROAM-Waterproof-HD-Action-Camera/dp/B005MIZ046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326364032&sr=8-1

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

We sometimes cycle back around to the same resorts

how do you carry your skis and gear – panniers and some sort of trailer ?

that’s good going up some of those hills – what sort of tyres for a compromise between road work and the possibility the resort roads are snow covered?

GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34[/video]

andytherocketeer

I have a drawer full of old paper piste maps. No idea why I keep them as I can get it all online, but I like looking at them from time to time, especially when thinking about where to go next time

Phew! not just me then 😉 All of mine are still folded to hide all the stupid adverts, with the useful piste map part most accessible.
    Online ones are often wrong, or very wrong (especially the .jpgs on random sites), or seriously annoying, stupid flashturbation interactive maps.

As to people not going to the same place, many people do

Don’t really understand why folk do that. Or (worse) go to the same place for a summer holiday every year either. The world is a BIG place – there’s lots to see!

A bit concerned that I’m going back to the same place for 4th yr in a row this year. Last year I said I would go somewhere different this year. So I booked somewhere different and the same place too 🙄 🙂 !
    Was considering going MTBing there in summer, but looks more like we’ll go to a ski resort I’ve not been to for 5-6 years (which is acceptable).

GrahamS

seriously annoying, stupid flashturbation interactive maps.

Have to say, I think the Ski Amadé flash map is actually really really good – but it is definitely the exception!

So I booked somewhere different and the same place too

I like that approach 😀

nbt

Graham, you need this

http://instantrimshot.com/

And yes, that Ski Amade map is great isn;t it? We were in Bad Gastein over Christmas, where are you off to?

And i too have a box full of maps from resorts visited. Missing a couple of the paper maps from last year’s road trip to scotland, and missing some from the first few years’ trips

GrahamS

Yeah I reached for instantrimshot first, but it’s all adverts these days and the “classic” version doesn’t work on my browser (probably because I block flash by default).

We were in Bad Gastein over Christmas, where are you off to?

Staying in Schladming in the Aparthotel Ferienalm – we usually prefer chalets, but a hotel is just easier with a little un and they were very kind to us last year.

We’ll probably try and get round the local hills, though probably not as far afield as Bad Gastein. I’m also booked in to do a guided backcountry day with Blue Tomato, though I’m not sure how much “backcountry” they have round there – it’s not exactly known for it.

rkk01
    Free Member

GrahamS answered this himself, however…

This year is the first year we’ve gone back to the same resort as last year – and that is purely because the beer was cheap and we needed something easy with a 22 month old.

Factoring in other family (esp young kids) requirements. We went back to Club Med in Cervinia because the resort worked so well for the whole family.

Kids are (hopefully) now old enough that we can try out a few different formats.

GrahamS

Yeah I’m obviously not completely against it rkk01, since I’m doing it 😀
    Having a child has opened my eyes to other considerations.

But it’s folk that say “Oh we’ve been going to the same town near X every July for 47 years now. We don’t like going anywhere else.” that perplex me.

I think they see comfort and familiarity, where I see a big rut and a closed horizon. Takes all sorts eh?

GrahamS

Speaking of geeky ski apps ( as I was) has anyone ever used Skiline?

Looks like you register your lift ticket number, then it monitors you for the day and gives you a nice diagram showing altitude covered, lifts ridden etc

http://www.skiline.cc/aboutSkiline

Very geeky – so may appeal to some on here 😉

andytherocketeer

Skiline.cc never worked for me (for Zillertal).
    Dolomiti Superski one did (with a couple of lifts missing over the course of a week).

They’re only an approximation, since they don’t know which way you went after getting off the top of a lift, nor do they count any final runs back to town.

afrothunder88

Finally booked something! Got a fully catered chalet in Les Menuires (3 Valleys) for Jan 28th, first time in a catered chalet and looking forward to not having to pay horrendously inflated resort prices for food and drink. Now just need to find decently priced flights and transfers. Original plan of flying into Lyon isn’t going to work as transfers were £300+ per person!

Plan: await arrival of shiny new Dragon APX goggles eagerly, get ski’s serviced, start obsessing over the weather forecasts and webcams for the next few weeks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

obsessing over the weather forecasts and webcams for the next few weeks.

Guess what I’m looking at right now? 🙂

Digby

Maybe I’m a bit OCD but I’m constantly guilty of going back to the same locations – For example I’ve been to Chamonix about 7 times, Whistler twice, La Thuile 3 times and I’m off back to Fernie again for a month for the 5th time. I do enjoy trying new locations as well though! 🙂

Local knowledge counts for a lot I reckon – on a powder day you know where to go and what spots to [hopefully] miss the crowds; you know the terrain traps to avoid and where to find freshies days after a storm – i.e. a secret spot that you just would’t find on a [unguided] 6 day trip.

If I find a run I like I’ll keep doing laps on it until it’s tracked out etc = ‘knowledge of results’ and all that! Avoids spending half the day on chairlifts ‘ticking off’ the runs.

Having said all that I’m also off to Norway this year – a place I’ve never been too before but always wanted to visit.
    I’ve got a list of places I want to ride before I’m 50 including Chile & Japan! 😀

jam-bo

Can you still buy Goggles without a double lens?

yeah. MX and MTB versions

MRanger156
    Free Member

Tignes a week on Sunday and hoping this is accurate.

http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Tignes~6442912/long.html

Nice new Salomon Official and boots to test out too!

afrothunder88

Guess what I’m looking at right now?

I’m going to go with the forecast open in one tab and webcams in a second!

Massively annoyed now as I ordered my goggles on Monday as the website listed them as in stock and available for next day delivery. Still no sign of them this morning so I emailed them to enquire as to why my order status was still “awaiting allocation”. Just found out they are out of stock, don’t have a live stock system on the website and that they “apparently” emailed me yesterday to tell me this yet I have received no emails from them, not even incorrectly labelled as junk.

Looks like I’ll be ordered some Oakley Splice’s in the not to distant future.

peachos
    Free Member

Finally booked something! Got a fully catered chalet in Les Menuires (3 Valleys) for Jan 28th, first time in a catered chalet and looking forward to not having to pay horrendously inflated resort prices for food and drink. Now just need to find decently priced flights and transfers. Original plan of flying into Lyon isn’t going to work as transfers were £300+ per person!

Who you staying with afrothunder88?? We went to Les Men last year, well just below in a hamlet called Bettex – stayed with Ski Powder Pigs & was the first time I’ve ever been in a fully catered chalet. Loved it – the guys who ran it were ace & came out riding with us/guided us to some decent off-piste. Full on luxury as well, top class 3 course meals each night, cocktails on return to the chalet, open log fireplace, sauna & jacuzzi etc and we paid about £340 each.

Flew into Chambery with Jet2 and hired cars. Transfer companies are a bit non-existent unless your chalet can sort do it. It was about 2.5hrs drive up the hill.

Top location though, I was a bit worried we’d be ‘out of the action’ but it’s dead easy to get up to Val Thorens and over to Meribel. And definitely check out Point de la Masse on the other side of the valley (there’s a cracking back country route that you can use as a way of getting into VT!). Also some decent bars for apres at the bottom of the main piste that runs through the les mens (hint: the bar on the right after you go under the bridge gets the sun for longer).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m going to go with the forecast open in one tab and webcams in a second!

Have a gold star! 🙂

FWIW, I didn’t get on with the Splice. Fit wasn’t as good with my face/helmet, so went with Crowbars instead. Vital to try before you buy, IMO.

Now, the Airbrake, however…..That has me wanting!

peachos
    Free Member

as for the returning to the same resorts thing, i’m a bit torn. i do find it difficult to return somewhere to somewhere i’ve already been, but i find myself going to morzine & val d’isere again this year. i’ve probably done about 4 weeks in each resort now & did a season id VD. the main lure seems to be the availability of floors to crash on, which makes the holiday so much cheaper, but also as Digby says, there is a lot to be said for having local knowledge – i know both these resorts very well now & if i find myself there in decent condition i can pick out some good areas that are less likely to be busy. if it’s crap conditions i know where the trees are and can head straight there – saves lots of time asking around or finding stuff.

but i do want to mix it up a bit. my list of the state, canada & japan needs fulfilling.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,390 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski and Snowboard thread – 2011/2 Edition’ is closed to new replies.