Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The stupidest thing you've done to your kit?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I thought I will share Pearl of my Eternal Wisdom :mrgreen:

After Lakes ride decided that my big ride backpack require a bit more than just rubbing off dried mud. Some other kit was also pretty plastered so no harm to Missus beloved t-shirt could be inflicted.

Strict inspection of all small pockets and zipped compartments, all tools, spare tubes and other stuff removed. However strange knock could be heard from washing machine. Must be these oversized plastic buckles mustn’t it? Not exactly…
    Now on I’m proud and lucky owner of extremely squeaky-clean Topeak Turbo Morph pump. Interestingly, it is still working fine, only pressure gauge is a bit steamy…

Cheers!
    I.

pnik

Mate of mine washed his garmin in his shorts pocket, again steamy display butit still worked, just couldnt tell that it did!

Northwind

Had a big crash a few years back, bust up my ribs pretty badly and was off the bike for about 8 weeks. I just left all my riding kit in a carrier bag, when I came back it was full of mould… And the stench, my god, I just threw the whole back down the bottom of the garden and left it out in the rain for a week. Salvaged the waterproof jacket out of it and got it back to life witha load of washes but everything else went in the bin.

jam-bo

A mate of mine recently washed his new white goggles in with his red race kit. They came out a very fetching pale pink.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve wrecked a few goggle lens by throwing a pile of mud soaked clothes in the washer at once – the goggles were fine, but the lens are only fit for the bin after that.

A set of amazing looking pair of Fox Unibomber gloves

grumpster
    Free Member

At last a thread I contribute to! My Garmin ended up on a three hour eco wash in the machine….followed by 2 hours of tumble drying. Still works fine but we did wonder what the banging noise was at the time.

DickBarton

Still works fine but we did wonder what the banging noise was at the time

That’ll be the gPS trying to remain stationery to get signal so it can track!

scud
    Free Member

At Gravel Dash this weekend, started with Apidura front pocket sat on front of handlebar roll, seemed to have loads of clearance, until second long raggedy descent, cue funny noise and on further inspection front tyre has worn large hole in bottom of bag!

teacake
    Free Member

Tumble dried my Helly Hansen for too long and returned to the machine with 12 socks stuck to a ball of polyproylene!

tomhoward

Forgot to take a co2 canister out of my camelbak before going through customs. They really dont have a sense of humour about that kind of thing,,,

Rubber_Buccaneer

I used to occasionally stick my cycling shoes and camelbak in the washing machine to clean them up. Not done it again since returning to find shattered washing machine door glass all over the garage and a shredded camelbak hanging out of the remains of the door

wiggles
    Free Member

A mate returned home from a muddy weekend of riding, with his kit in a black bag (shoes, gloves everything) ready to wash and left it in the utility room.

His wife threw it out thinking it was rubbish, it was bin day…

IvanMTB
    Free Member

In fact got one more from earlier days of my cycling.

Once had old style, cromo steel racing bike with quill stem.

Because of extended period of usage and no proper lubrication quill get stuck in steerer tube.

Realized that front wheel spacing is just tad wider than door frame. Popped off the wheel, slid forks into door frame and started turning handlebars. After about 1/2 a turn realized that it is forks legs that are twisting and bending, not quill giving up.

Ended up buying whole new forks…

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The stupidest thing you've done to your kit?’ is closed to new replies.