Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 464 total)
  • The Star Wars Spoiler Thread
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@shermer – tax breaks for the film industry and common world wide, the French have an explicit tax payer funded scheme. Films are pefrfect examples of things you can manufacture pretty much anywhere so countries compete for them.

@bikebouy, nice I am thinking of seeing it again too, 3D was good for the movie I thought

BoardinBob

FYI, the new Star Wars: Battlefront game on xbox and PS has some “easter eggs” relating to the new film.

The “Battle of Jakku” map explains how all that debris ended up there.

greasydan
    Free Member

9) They managed to destroy coruscant which could have been a cool blade runner style world for future films.

Coruscant wasn’t blown up, but Hosnian Prime and the surrounding planets of the “New Republic”. It *looked* like Coruscant, but (again, a huge plot hole) it seems they moved the whole of the Republic infrastructure to a new planet?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fooman

I don’t have a problem with Adam Driver as the bad guy, after all Vader was revealed to be a balding, overweight, middle aged bloke but with skillz *

* no drawing parallels with MTBers please

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wow, so Battlefront is actually good for something?

And it’s on PC too you know.

Northwind

If Rey turns out to be an Anakin skywalker style virgin birth created by the midichlorians, I predict mass shitting of beds.

Tom_W1987 – Member

Things I really hated

1) Another Death Star – just bigger and built around a sun. Great! How does it end up snowy with a sun as your space stations core?

I dunno man, it seems weird to hate stuff that didn’t actually happen.

greasydan – Member

Coruscant wasn’t blown up, but Hosnian Prime and the surrounding planets of the “New Republic”. It *looked* like Coruscant, but (again, a huge plot hole) it seems they moved the whole of the Republic infrastructure to a new planet?!

How is that a plot hole?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Watched it yesterday. Can’t decide whether I love it or hate it, the scenery, action and detail is unbelivable. The crashed starships at the beginning and AT-ATs in the sand look amazing, as do X-Wings flying from a sunset to battle. The lad who plays Finn and that charachter is brilliant.

But…

3D doesnt add anything for those asking.

It’s basically a remake of ‘A New Hope’.

C3PO still isn’t funny, having a red arm isn’t funny. Stop it.

First Order are camp Nazis.

BB8 is R2-D2. Even his storyline is the same.

Alan Partidge plays a spoilt dark lord who has a hissy fit when he doesn’t get his own way like a 5 year old, and at that he’s a crap jedi. He gets outwitted by someone who doesn’t even know what the force is 5 minutes earlier.

Luke Skywalker now looks like Eddie Izzard.

But I was glued to my seat the whole way through.

DaRC_L

jonnytheleyther + 1-ish (I’m too old & jaded to do the impassioned love/hate thing)
    I liked the ‘not in your face 3D’ sometimes it was properly immersive.

I grok what George Lucas says (I also discount any 1-3 haters opinion immediately)

Northwind

jonnytheleyther – Member

C3PO still isn’t funny, having a red arm isn’t funny.

Having a red arm wasn’t supposed to be funny. But I thought it was a pretty good line that, “You might not recognise me because of the red arm”- it’s a joke about C3PO being shit basically. (and I think, a bit of a poke at the terrible bit in Clones when he gets a body swap)

Thought it was slightly overdone though with the whole “I really must get that fixed”, should have just been that one line- like, Mark Hamill has a beard, C3PO has a red arm, Han Solo is old- time has passed.

Harry_the_Spider

£20 in Tesco.

Just sayin’…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Saw it last night at the IMAX and, although I lost interested after the first couple, –
    1) really enjoyed it
    2) loved the nods to bits from previous films
    3) thought 3d was good but not mind blowing (maybe thats a good thing)
    4) with hindsight you can sort of tell it’s Daniel Craig by the ST attitude!
    4) think I might sneak another viewing one day soon!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If we’re going to get into realism/plot holes did anyone think about how the Star Destroyer ended up in the sand on Jakku. I mean, it did look amazing:

from the EA game site – “A Star Destroyer has just crash-landed and some of its engines are still smoking”

Holy shit – we’re talking about a *big* ship there, not in any way designed for in atmosphere flying. They’re the size of cities. Even if we give them a pass on it not burning up in the atmosphere, when it hit the ground it was going to make an almighty mess and crater. That sort of thing doesn’t come to rest gently in the sand

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we’re going to get into realism/plot holes did anyone think about how the Star Destroyer ended up in the sand on Jakku. I mean, it did look amazing:

There is a great line Kermode uses a lot about suspension of belief, if you get through and just accept that they can park a super star destroyer etc in the sand or how the bloke beat everyone back to the rebel base without being on the falcon etc. then the film works.

It worked for me.

Tiger6791

The new Darth Vader type bad guy looked too much like Steve Coogan to be taken seriously.
    Kylo Ren…

Wrong

Kylo Ren also does interior design

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kylo Ren also does interior design

you could see that artistic temperament and desire to force yet another colour scheme change in the control rooms

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

There is a great line Kermode uses a lot about suspension of belief, if you get through and just accept that they can park a super star destroyer etc in the sand or how the bloke beat everyone back to the rebel base without being on the falcon etc. then the film works.

for sure, and that’s true of nearly every action movie. But that pic above did make me laugh

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Holy shit – we’re talking about a *big* ship there, not in any way designed for in atmosphere flying. They’re the size of cities. Even if we give them a pass on it not burning up in the atmosphere, when it hit the ground it was going to make an almighty mess and crater. That sort of thing doesn’t come to rest gently in the sand

Simons no offence, I honestly I don’t get this.

Can someone please tell me, where to draw the line between reality and fantasy.

molgrips
    Free Member

That sort of thing doesn’t come to rest gently in the sand

Familiar with ‘that sort of thing’ are you? From your days in the space corps?

Any fool knows that the hyperdrive can be used to provide an anti gravity effect, so even a crashing star destroyer can crash slowly.

shermer75
    Free Member

Has anybody else spotted the traffic cone in that photo of Kylo Ren (Coogan) up there^^?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Steve Coogan and traffic cones. We’ve been here before…

BoardinBob

Laughing at those picking up on the fake science, yet no one seems to mention that they’re travelling around the galaxy at light speed, yet no one appears to age at a different rate…

Harry_the_Spider

Traffic cones in a galaxy far, far away?

Well that has just ruined it for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t travelling at light speed. That’s not possible. They are travelling through hyperspace, do keep up.

They call it light speed, presumably as slang or a traditional term.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

C3PO always had a one silver leg below the knee, they both looked gold to me in this film. Anyone else confirm this ?

Tiger6791

He got a new leg for Christmas

It wasn’t his main present

Just a stocking filler……

shermer75
    Free Member

Darth Vader: I know what you are getting for Xmas
    Luke: How? Did you use the force?
    Darth Vader: No. But I felt your presents

IdleJon

Are there any SF films that don’t require a suspension of belief? Even the ‘serious’ ones like 2001 are extremely silly.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Are there any SF films that don’t require a suspension of belief? Even the ‘serious’ ones like 2001 are extremely silly.

Not at all, but you expect them to be a little bit of internal logic and consistency.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are there any SF films that don’t require a suspension of belief?

Of course. Scifi has a range of definitions. Some people Star Wars scifi, I don’t – it’s a fantasy film, all about magic, good and evil – it just happens to have spaceships in it.

Some scifi films are ‘hard’ scifi in that they take the implications of actual science, or potential scientific developments – so Gattaca, Bladerunner, I Robot for example.

Then there are sort of hybrids that include hard science but also some plot devices that enable the story – like time travel or faster than light travel.

IdleJon

Not at all, but you expect them to be a little bit of internal logic and consistency.

I’d normally agree with you on this, and I’m normally hyper-critical about internal logic and that sort of thing, but for some reason when I watch a film in the cinema I switch my brain off completely. (Except when it’s a crap Bond film!) When I watch the same film on TV my brain engages and I spot all of the holes I previously ignored. 🙂

Edit : molgrips – I’ve been reading and watching SF films for three decades now, like a lot of people on this thread I’d imagine. I don’t need a definition. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

C3PO always had a one silver leg below the knee, they both looked gold to me in this film. Anyone else confirm this ?

He probably has a spare… like Douglas Bader.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t need a definition.

You have not convinced me of that 🙂

Anyway I gave you three that answered your original question.

Mackem

Surely as it all happened a long long time ago it’s historical fiction rather than sci-fi?

fooman

Maybe set at the same time as Game of Thrones? They could do a tie in movie, like Marvel Avengers!

hels
    Free Member

The correct genre for Star Wars is Space Opera. You can tell from all the big hair, portentous dialogue and camp droids.

jimjam
    Free Member

Science Fantasy.

BoardinBob

Laser swords
    Mystical religion that bestows magical powers on its followers
    Ghosts
    7 foot tall hairy beasts wielding laser powered crossbows
    A giant anus in the desert that eats people

But aye, the innacurate physics of a spaceship entering a planet’s atmosphere really renders the entire thing unbelievable…

CountZero

Right, having just seen the film, which I enjoyed immensely, I’d just like to come back to this:

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Things I really hated

1) Another Death Star – just bigger and built around a sun. Great! How does it end up snowy with a sun as your space stations core?
    You really weren’t paying attention, were you.
    Yes, it’s bigger than the first one, which was the size of a small moon. The new one is a planet, engineered to enclose an electromagnetic weapon. That’s why there’s snow on it, it’s a planet! There is no sun inside, the ship/planet pulls into whichever star system it wants to ****up, then uses the systems own star to destroy it, manipulating the electromagnetic fields to focus the star’s material via the ship’s weapon, ultimately destroying the star in the process, this was actually described in the film.
    Then it goes somewhere else to mess up someone else’s day.
    It really didn’t take much effort to work out.
    But I have been reading SF since I was pretty much old enough to read, some written by real scientists.
    If you want a really exotic way to destroy a solar system, read Iron Sunrise, by Charles Stross.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did smile at the Death Planet/Oblitertron final moments where we had a Destroy the Shield Generator, Fly down the channel and cover me followed by get inside and blow the damm thing up 🙂

Take your history and treat it with respect.

BoardinBob – Member

Laser swords[/quote]

And seriously would you not invent laser swords just as soon as you could…

Northwind

50% space opera and 50% western, if you want to go all Margaret Atwood

Oh and lightsabers aren’t laser swords, they’re plasma swords, using the same technology used in Power Balance bands.

Well, mine is made of plastic, but that’s because real life is cruel and disappointing.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘The Star Wars Spoiler Thread’ is closed to new replies.