Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • The SNP's record in government
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

The air weapons legislation is completely ridiculous as pointed out, totally born off the back of Daily Record populism. How exactly anyone expects this to be enforced is beyond me.

Also, not being able to buy a bottle of beer after a night shift is a pain in the hole, I’m sure all the jakeys have given up the Super T now that they have till ten o’clock to think about their sins. Or maybe it keeps them out the way of commuters who think the problem is solved. Who knows…

From what I understand Curriculum for Excellence is a heap of shite as well.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Jamba – we went from a two tier system of regional authorities and local councils in the early 90s to larger councils but no regional authorities, decentralisation if you like. No, it doesn’t make sense but I’m nit sure if we have the power to change that.

gordimhor

@ jambalaya It’s the unrestrained profit motive aka greed that is motivating corporations to hold onto land banks and driving up the cost of getting a home in this country so that’s hardly irrelevant

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Exactly – how many police forces does England have with 10x the population?

dragon
    Free Member

But how much do you really save as the demands on Glasgow intercity policing are wildly different from that in rural parts of the Highlands. Plus what we see is more centralisation with the big jobs in the central belt and a force that has too much power and can be influenced by the government too much.

For me it is less about population size and more about ensuring that there are suitable checks and balances.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scot not sure what your point is but FWIW I think it’s crazy we have police forces in each English county / large city with separate purchasing for things like vehicles. Many big fishes in small ponds.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

My opinions are actually to the negative side, point of this thread, I’ve posted it elsewhere aswell, is to put my opinions back to a neutral stand point and base it on evidence alone. I reckon my opinions in recent time have been coloured by bias against them.

This and the another thread is just a small part of that process.

downshep

Policing demands in rural parts largely follow the same social causation factors as in Glasgow; drink, drugs, poverty, stress, hopelessness = violence, dishonesty, disorder, domestic abuse, suicide etc.

Same shit, prettier surroundings.

bearGrease

gordimhor – Member
    I accept your point about SNP centralisation in general Kit though some of it has imo been done with good reason

You really believe this?!?!?!?!? It’s quite clear that the SNP changes such as Police centralisation were made solely to to enhance their control of a possible future independent Scotland and absolutely nothing to do with being there being “good reason”.

bearGrease

@joseph your “SNP record” is just a list of legislation passed in Holyrood. Perhaps we could discuss reduced health spending compared to England and Wales, the disaster that is Police Scotland and why we have higher unemployment than England and Wales?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Same shit, prettier surroundings

To an extent, yes, but also until recently policed and dealt with very differently, to suit the differences between large inner city communities and smaller rural communities. Not any more, one size fits all is the new mantra. Except in reality it doesn’t, and the service provided to most communities in Scotland has deteriorated significantly as a result of SNP led Strathclyde implemented top down control freakery.

This centralisation of the police contradicts their argument that independence will allow Scotland to do what’s best for Scotland, rather than be dictated to by an out of touch elite who think what’s good for the south east is good for everyone. The hypocrisy seems to have gone over their heads. At least the local SNP door knockers had the decency to admit that it made no sense when they were going round pre referendum.

The disaster that is Police Scotland, plus the Trump debacle, are why they won’t get my support without some substantial changes and humility.

bearGrease

bencooper – Member
    <cough> planning decisions for Trump golf resort </cough>
    Yup, that’s one reason I’m not a SNP member.

@bencooper
    , you really do need to grow a pair sunshine! 😀

You espouse the benefits of a possible independent Scotland with all the vigour of one of Nicola’s inner cult yet when challenged you always fall back on the defence of “I’m not an SNP member”. If September’s vote had gone the other way and we were now facing an £8billion shortfall with the consequent nightmare austerity levels I’m sure you’d still be whining “well I’m not an SNP member so don’t blame me”.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bearGrease – Member

@joseph
    your “SNP record” is just a list of legislation passed in Holyrood. Perhaps we could discuss reduced health spending compared to England and Wales, the disaster that is Police Scotland and why we have higher unemployment than England and Wales?

please do. Legislation was just the easiest thing to list to give an unbiased start to the thread. I don’t want to limit it to it.

oldbloke
    Free Member

None too impressed with the Police Scotland fiasco.
    Wife’s a teacher and isn’t too impressed with how the Curriculum for Excellence is used.
    Not impressed with free school meals for all P1-3. Those in need already qualified. Saved me money briefly but not necessary.
    NHS seems slower to get anything done. I’d rather pay for prescriptions and have the money in services.
    Gaelic schools disproportionate funding.
    Double jeopardy.

But the big one is the high handed level of debate, dismissing anyone who disagrees in a play the man, not the ball fashion.

But in some ways that’s par for the course – no matter who was in power there’d be something to object to. But with the SNP I find little to commend them on to balance against the list of negatives – dropping the drink drive limit is about it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldbloke – Member
    None too impressed with the Police Scotland fiasco.
    Wife’s a teacher and isn’t too impressed with how the Curriculum for Excellence is used.
    Not impressed with free school meals for all P1-3. Those in need already qualified. Saved me money briefly but not necessary.
    NHS seems slower to get anything done. I’d rather pay for prescriptions and have the money in services.
    Gaelic schools disproportionate funding.
    Double jeopardy.

But the big one is the high handed level of debate, dismissing anyone who disagrees in a play the man, not the ball fashion.

But in some ways that’s par for the course – no matter who was in power there’d be something to object to. But with the SNP I find little to commend them on to balance against the list of negatives – dropping the drink drive limit is about it.what do you like about them?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Truly remarkable……..

bearGrease

please do. Legislation was just the easiest thing to list to give an unbiased start to the thread. I don’t want to limit it to it.

A quick look at the facts, as listed by other posters on this thread, can only lead to the conclusion that the SNP’s performance is poor across the board. Now if you have a belly full of kool-aid from the Aberdeen shindig I’m sure the picture looks rosier and any naysayers must be Tory running dogs.

seosamh77
    Free Member

A quick look at the facts, as listed by other posters on this thread, can only lead to the conclusion that the SNP’s performance is poor across the board. Now if you have a belly full of kool-aid from the Aberdeen shindig I’m sure the picture looks rosier and any naysayers must be Tory running dogs.

I’m not arguing any position.

gordimhor

@Beargrease yes I really believe it though the Police Scotland project has been cackhanded from the outset and should be radically changed. It was done to save money,but has lost all local control. The Forth Crossing is on time and on budget http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/forth-bridge-taking-shape-and-under-budget-1-3376637
    I’m content with the budgets under Swinney though I would prefer to see the council tax replaced.
    I am also pleased that they found funds to ameliorate the worst effects of the bedroom tax.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/…/labour-backs-snp…bedroom-tax.1390416936

bencooper
    Free Member

@bencooper, you really do need to grow a pair sunshine!
    You espouse the benefits of a possible independent Scotland with all the vigour of one of Nicola’s inner cult yet when challenged you always fall back on the defence of “I’m not an SNP member”.

That’s the beautiful thing about independence – in an independent Scotland, we can all vote for who we want to. Even better, because it’s not a FPTP system, who we all vote for actually matters.

Wanting independence doesn’t make me a SNP supporter, we just share that goal.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think none of you understood the point of the thread, or some basic principles outlined in the OP!

Curious that a fitba forum provided the more balanced discussion! 😆

Anyhow, cheers for the contributions! 😕 😆

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    …Wanting independence doesn’t make me a SNP supporter, we just share that goal.

That the SNP has only 115,000 members does not seem to be understood in the media. The other 1 million+ of us simply share the goal of independence.

I’m prepared to put up with the SNP’s mistakes while waiting for independence, and I suspect most of us share that attitude. At least they are trying to run a more humane govt, and are open to change direction from public pressure. Persecution of the weak and vulnerable we leave to the red and blue Tories.

Spin
    Free Member

They’ve taken an education system that was decent but needed some updating and f*cked it up beyond all recognition. I don’t believe parents of secondary pupils in Scotland realise how shambolic it is, if they did they’d be baying for blood.

But still the juggernaut that is the SQA rolls on quoting stock phrases like ‘unprecedented support’ ‘stringent quality assurance’ and ‘produced to the highest standards’.

bearGrease

That’s the beautiful thing about independence – in an independent Scotland, we can all vote for who we want to.

You seem to have confused independence with democracy. The SNP don’t have a great record on the latter or for free speech.

Even better, because it’s not a FPTP system, who we all vote for actually matters.

In an independent Scotland with a constitution crafted by the same muppets who brought us Police Scotland your vote would be worth 2/10th of bogger all if it wasn’t for the SNP, there would have been 10-20 years of a one party state. It’s clear that not only would we have been worse off financially our basic civil liberties would have been at risk from the “party”.

gordimhor

basic civil liberties would have been at risk from the “party

Any evidence of this beargrease or links?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Persecution of the weak and vulnerable we leave to the red and blue Tories.

@epic
    what I suspect is that a thorough study of the SNPs record will show they are just as constrained by reality as are Labour and the Tories and forced to make the same broad policy decisions.The SNP are selling a dream whilst using smoke, mirrors and “let’s blame Westminster” to hide their own record in government.

@gordi surely Scotland can pass their own planning law which says land with planning permission must be built on. Aside from that if a builder buys farmland / brownfield sites with no planning permission who is to say they can’t just sit on it ? As I said the solution lies with the scots government, they have plenty of land under their control and they can build on it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Scotroutes…

“Exactly – how many police forces does England have with 10x the population?”

They too are being merged, are short-staffed and have a morale problem, all thanks to Teresa Shoes. I don’t suppose it’s much different from Scotland.

There’s been a bit of a fuss at the SNP Conf over land ownership, with the grass roots wanting more change than the organisation offered. This should be interesting.

bigjim

The Forth Crossing is on time and on budget

Is it though? It genuinely might be but people keep saying the Borders railway was on time and budget and an SNP success (actually scottish gov had very little input into it and in the end the railway was delivered by network rail as they couldn’t find anyone else who wanted to build it), but actually it came in over 3 times the original agreed budget, they just kept upping the budget before building it, so when the building was finished they were able to say it was on budget. Same with the timescale.

Trekster

jambalaya – Member

@dragon
    – genuine question – does it really make sense to regionalise government in a country of just 5m people ? Surely thats a recipe for a bloated government

In a way it is a good idea but they put the cart before the horse if I understand some of the workings.
    There are 32 councils, there were 32 police divisions(if that’s what they were called)
    All these councils “do their own thing” re technology/communication etc. Which means lots of duplication, lots of IT people(contractors who up and leave part way through projects!)
    That as I understand it meant the computer systems didn’t “talk” to each other and info was not being shared.
    There is no money to build a “joined up” system!!
    This is maybe all being rectified, I am fed up of politicians spouting crap and waffling……
    Tried watching FM question time from Holyrood a few times, it’s comical!
    There appears to be money for lots of other non essential stuff according to MrsTs comments after a recent meeting….
    A neighbour was one of those who lost her control room job, she can tell some stories 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

You seem to have confused independence with democracy. The SNP don’t have a great record on the latter or for free speech.

Really? Who’s limiting my free speech? Much more under threat from the Tories than from the SNP.

Your’re right about independence vs. democracy. Problem is, we don’t live in a democracy, we live in a pseudo-democracy. Unelected Lords get to decide on laws, and get there by donating to political parties. FPTP means the Westminster parliament is not representative of the voters’ wishes. How do we fix Westminster? We can’t – it’s beyond repair. No-one has the guts to burn it down and start again, so we have to. Hence independence is the only way to get democracy in Scotland.

10 years after independence, I highly doubt anyone – not even the SNP – would have a majority government. Remember the Holyrood voting system was specifically designed by Donald Dewar to prevent the SNP getting a majority – the fact that they do shows we’re in extraordinary times. After independence, with proper Scottish opposition parties instead of the pathetic shower of incompetents we have at the moment, it’s pretty certain we’d end up with a much more balanced government.

ninfan
    Free Member

Unelected Lords get to decide on laws

No they don’t.

bencooper
    Free Member

Edit laws, whatever. Unelected people shouldn’t be anywhere near the law-making process is my point.

irelanst
    Free Member

Remember the Holyrood voting system was specifically designed by Donald Dewar to prevent the SNP getting a majority

Was it? Can you explain how that “specifically” works to “prevent the SNP getting a majority”?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Edit laws, whatever. Unelected people shouldn’t be anywhere near the law-making process is my point

you clearly don’t get how the EU works do you 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Was it? Can you explain how that “specifically” works to “prevent the SNP getting a majority”?

Certainly, here’s Sir Malcolm Bruce explaining it:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BeDkcfyWcMU[/video]

you clearly don’t get how the EU works do you

We have elections for MEPs, don’t we?

irelanst
    Free Member

here’s Sir Malcolm Bruce explaining it:

I think you need to listen to the video again, what he said was that if they stuck with his proposal (AMS via an adjusted single vote) then they wouldn’t have had an SNP majority.

So again, how is the voting system “specifically designed to prevent the SNP getting a majority”?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, they didn’t manage to rig the system to his satisfaction 😀

How about the LSE? “…the architects of devolution in the first Blair government, who deliberately chose a (broadly) proportional electoral system so as to minimise the risk of a Nationalist majority in Parliament ever moving Scotland towards independence.”

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/snp-scotland-victory/
    (An interesting article in lots of ways)

Also interesting: http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-statute-of-limitations/

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We have elections for MEPs, don’t we?

the EU version of the House of Lords

The Council

The Council of the EU is the EU’s main decision-making body. It is the embodiment of the member states, whose representatives it brings together regularly at ministerial level. Council meetings are prepared by the Committee of Permanent Representatives which is made up of ambassadors to the Union from member states’ own governments. These ambassadors act as a link between the member states & the EU. Their preparatory work and the agreements they make on non-contentious proposals mean that when the ministers meet much has been agreed and only matters still in dispute need to be negotiated.

The Council:
    •is the EU’s legislative body, (exercising that power in co-decision with the Parliament)

•coordinates the economic policies of the member states

•concludes, on behalf of the EU, international agreements with other states or international organisations

•shares budgetary authority with Parliament

•develops the EU’s common foreign and security policy, on the basis of general guidelines established by the Council

•coordinates the activities of member states and adopts measures in the field of police and judicial cooperation.

irelanst
    Free Member

Non of the above quotes explain your proposition that the voting system specifically prevents the SNP getting a majority. My argument isn’t that an AMS based system via (an element of) proportionality make the forming of a majority government unlikely – that is what it is designed to do. It is your very specific statement that the system was design to prevent the SNP getting a majority.

Whilst this is perhaps a sideshow to the original topic, I think it highlights one of the things that the SNP has done very well, they have played a blinder in the PR game of politics, they have used social media very well and along with their stooge in Bath spread a huge amount of misinformation which the electorate has lapped up (with a side helping of confirmation bias).

bencooper
    Free Member

Ho hum.

“BBC Scotland political editor Brian Taylor says the voting system used in the Scottish Parliament was designed by a Labour goverrnment at Westminster with the “explicit” intention of preventing the SNP from gaining a majority of the seats on a minority of the popular vote.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/9474173.stm

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘The SNP's record in government’ is closed to new replies.