Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • The sneaky cheeky tips and tricks page…
  • ezzy
    Free Member

Put zip ties, spare chain links etc in your seat post, secure with a cork covered in duck tape. Obviously only works if you don’t have a dropper post.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lummox – Member
    A bic Biro lid is perfect for precision placement of ball bearings back into cup and cone hubs. Just roll them down the little chute on the inside of the pocket clip.

THAT is genius.

D0NK

don’t lacerate your thumb removing your DT freehub (by pulling on the cassette) and then dowse your hands in dot4 bleeding brakes.

lummox brilliant!

ezzy does the stuff not rattle? My bikes have enough elusive rattles and squeaks without me adding more. But it does give you ideas, what else could I store in my seatpost? A few sausages for a mid ride bbq? rolled up twister mat, we all get bored waiting at the top of climbs on group rides.

thepurist

One for D0NK

AVOID getting bored waiting at the top of climbs on group rides by riding uphill slowly.

There, saved you all the hassle of packing that twister mat.

D0NK

I did try hitting the top, riding back down then riding alongside mates giving encouragement, didn’t go well.

timmys

INVITED by vegetarians for dinner? As you’d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours – ask for a nice steak

Old but classic;

kimbers

rossi46 (or anyone) do you have any more info on that bearings bodge?

cheers

Garry_Lager

ransos – Member

A piece of cardboard or a large puncture patch will bodge a slit in your tyre well enough to stop the inner tube poking through.A fiver or tenner is also good for this in a pinch – the paper is pretty tough.

If you use mavic UST rims check the valve locknut once in a while – they are prone to corroding on as you go so long between punctures. Siezed valve out in the hills could be a nightmare if you did flat – you’d need a pair of pliers to get it out and stick a tube in there.

wwaswas

A fiver or tenner is also good for this in a pinch – the paper is pretty tough.

Would make a change from throwing money at my bike to actually installing money on it, I suppose.

Miffy
    Free Member

If you’ve got chain grease splatter on your skin or if your child Like mine manages to get chain prints all over his calves when riding in shorts.

To save scrubbing the skin away just gently rub over some marge (any brand even butter if you are posh) until the area is covered.
    Then wipe off with a damp cloth (wets wipes work best) and it just disappears.

VanHalen

To save scrubbing the skin away just gently rub over some marge (any brand even butter if you are posh) until the area is covered.
    Then wipe off with a damp cloth (wets wipes work best) and it just disappears.

2 things here.

1)my dirty mind is going into meltdown.

and

2)WTF do they put in margarine!

aracer
    Free Member

To avoid scratching your saddle and grips/shifters keep your bike the right way up when doing trailside repairs.

Having problems with tubes? Try tubeless.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

bung a couple of latex gloves in your camelbak. That way, if you need to commit a serious crime whilst out on the trails, you leave no fingerprints!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Irritating Piles can be repositioned with a Crank Brothers pump and a healthy application of KY. Your Sportive will be a much more pleasant “race” after this.

avdave2

A piece of cardboard or a large puncture patch will bodge a slit in your tyre well enough to stop the inner tube poking through.

Cut the ends of an old toothpaste tube and slit open. Saves on buying a tyre boot and you’ll get at least one extra teeth clean out of it!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

1) [Well known] Never get involved in a land war in Asia

2) Only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Carry a small jar of honey with you on a trail, and if you tear your tyre beyond repair, simply smear a small (thin, or else the honey will just run) amount onto the crack and then leave in the sun to dry and harden, you may need to repeat the process again to get a second layer but I have done this a few times. It also works with inner tubes if you have run out of patches.

I don’t run tubeless but I guess you could fix that too if you tear a tyre but probably need 4 layers min I’d say.

Edit, with inner tubes it’s really only a get me home measure but comfortably holds 35 psi

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

😯 No not really it cannot be

jekkyl

Carry a small jar of honey with you on a trail

&

I have done this a few times

seriously? drink check, some cash check, spare tube check, phone check, small jar of honey, errrrr.
    can’t help thinking of tubby old pooh bear ‘hummm time for something sweet’

Ambrose

Golden syrup works as well.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cardo – Member

For directional tyres and to avoid putting them on the wrong way round, most rotors have a rotation arrow on them , well I know Hopes do anyway.. works for me.

Surely the rotors being there at all, or even the rotor bolts if rotors aren’t installed, is enough to mean it’s pretty obvious which way the wheel goes round… 😕

fasthaggis

Carry a small jar of honey with you on a trail,

If a bear attacks ,throw it over your riding partner and make good your escape 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Or just use shower gel.. 😯

scaredypants

Carry a small jar of honey with you on a trail
    Golden syrup works as well

Yeah, as good as carrying an extra repair patch 😕 – tastier though, if you’re bonking and need to eat something

avdave2

Rogan Josh you are Jim Lovell and I claim my £5. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nearing Takeoff

chrssmale
    Free Member

For when the weather eventually gets back to normal again. Those fish shaped soy sauce bottles you get in supermarket sushi are ideal for holding a bit of chain lube.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just got my Squirt Lube Trial – will be keeping the bottle!

plyphon
    Free Member

No one expects the Spanish inquisition,

TIP:

Expect the Spanish inquisition.

DezB
    Free Member

Siezed valve out in the hills could be a nightmare if you did flat – you’d need a pair of pliers to get it out and stick a tube in there

Carry a small pair of pliers (or leatherman type tool)!

D0NK

Carry a small jar of honey

I’m calling BS, I’d rate this with putting grass in tyres

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have never put grass in my tyres, officer.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s a Honey Trap

plyphon
    Free Member

It’s a Honey Trap

Yeah I’d Bee careful with this one.

hot_fiat

After washing yer bike hotel shower caps are great for shielding rotors and calipers from spray lube like GT85.

Note: DO NOT use the O/H’s pink Hello Kitty cap for this purpose. 😯

Made a mate do the grass-stuffing thing on Deadwater fell once. We didn’t hang around to find out how delighted this made the midgies, but it’s fair to say my mate didn’t look too happy when he got back to the car.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done the grass trick. The rim sidewall had sheared so impossible to repair with a new tube. It’s very slightly better than nothing.

avdave2

No one expects the Spanish inquisition,

The irony being of course that the inquisition always sent advance notice so you always knew exactly when to expect them.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member

Carry a small jar of honey with you on a trail, and if you tear your tyre beyond repair, simply smear a small (thin, or else the honey will just run) amount onto the crack and then leave in the sun to dry and harden, you may need to repeat the process again to get a second layer but I have done this a few times. It also works with inner tubes if you have run out of patches.

I don’t run tubeless but I guess you could fix that too if you tear a tyre but probably need 4 layers min I’d say.

Edit, with inner tubes it’s really only a get me home measure but comfortably holds 35 psi

This trick works so well, Kenda have named a new line of tyres in its honour:

onandon
    Free Member

Grass in tyre. Yup, saved me from a 12 mile walk home when my pump failed.

sbob
    Free Member

Ugly birds: become more attractive by simply moving North.
    😈

To affix grips to bars, use a length of 2″ double sided tape wrapped around the bar, cover in white spirit then slide the grip on.
    Use increasing layers of tape to increase grip diameter, or use a longer length of tape and stretch the grip over it to reduce the diameter.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘The sneaky cheeky tips and tricks page…’ is closed to new replies.