Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Simpsons. Not as good as it used to be.
  • Pook

I know this was done a few weeks back, but last night's old episode on C4 showed why.
    It was the one where Bart becomes a hall monitor and Lisa starts troublemaking.

Film noir references, vietnam movie nods, and then at the end Lisa playing 'Ain't misbehavin'' on her sax after bart takes the rap.

Genius writing sadly missing in newer stuff.

epicyclo

They fitted the lot into that episode 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

To be expected after about 400 episodes. About time they stopped I think.

grievoustim
    Free Member

it lost it about a decade ago

I can't really bare to watch the new ones – the early years are some of the best tv ever made though

I do wish they would put it out of its misery

FuzzyWuzzy

Some of the new ones are OK but in general yeah it's slipped quite a bit, at least Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American Dad! are all still usually entertaining.

Jamie
    Free Member

The problem with The Simpsons is that they set the bar so high from the off. Last few seasons, 19-21, have been a struggle to watch. Flashes of genius still, but some really clunky/farcical plot moves to get a story going.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

For me, it started getting abit dark/nasty.

Saying that, over the years I actually came to like the Ned Flanders character. You could see his quiet strength, his conviction etc etc.

Imagine having a neighbour like Simpson, the loss of his wife etc etc.

The limited run of Futurama was class though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

at least Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American Dad! are all still usually entertaining.

or 'unwatchable' for me 🙁

hora
    Free Member

I can't get into the Cleveland show.

Quagmire is my hero though 😀

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The Cleveland Show is unwatchable.

Family guy can be funny but is just a stream of bad gags. Its not clever is the way the simpsons can be.

Also many of the scenes are just there to shock people the simpsons always manages to be funny without resorting to this sort cut.

Again American Dad can be funny at times and is slightly less offensive than Family Guy.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Family Guy is just say something stupid and flashback and show it happening!

Nothing funny or clever in that.

hora
    Free Member

There were a couple of moment on a recent(?) Simpsons that I actually said WTF.

Homer drink drivers but its Marge who ends up in the drivers seat/crashed.

I really couldnt understand the incoherent story there. Its almost as though the script team were trying to write something edgy to compete with Family Guy but it backfired (for me).

BigJohn

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

Haze

Those "nods" and references in the Simpsons that are "clever" and always receive such praise…

Plenty of those in Family Guy too.

Pook

I didn't criticise Family Guy? Did I? Did I? Hmm? hmm?

hang on. I've just got to go and fight a chicken for 10 minutes.

😀

Haze

8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tim
    Free Member

stuff like the chicken fight in family guy is the reason its so good…its just so brilliantly random

Simpsons is often too twee for my liking 🙂 Good though…shame Channel 4 only seem to have about 10 episodes they just keep repeating (although ALL of Channel 4/E4's stuff is like this.)

grievoustim
    Free Member

the simpsons at its peak could go from being very funnny/ postmodern/ slapstick/ clever/ sad and genuinely touching (without being sappy) seamlessly in the space of a single 20 minute episode. it could be enjoyed equally by kids and adults

the new episodes just feel jarring and charmless as it crunches through the gears

having said that I do think the movie was pretty good

GrahamS

LOL @ Zulu-Eleven's pic.

roper
    Free Member

I did like this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHcrsEK1GY&feature=related
    (unfortunately someone is too greedy to allow it with the animation)

zaskar
    Free Member

Yeah everything gets boring after a while.

Starts well but after a few yrs the program gets naff.

Sort of respect shows that end while on top instead milking everything hence The Simpsons later stuff is crud.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Simpsons. Not as good as it used to be.’ is closed to new replies.