The Shard.

Home Forum Chat Forum The Shard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • The Shard.
  • souldrummer

Huge ego trip for someone in my opinion; also seems an odd place to site it as well. But what do I know eh??

pop larkin

I like it and think it adds something to the skyline

cynic-al

Waste of money”? – is it not letting well? Private money, no?

I think it looks great, why criticise it?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Built with just 40-odd car park spaces, most of which are for disabled use, apparently to “encourage green transport options”.

I wonder how many bike parking spaces it has…

rewski

also seems an odd place to site it as well

what by a major rail station, yeh really odd 😉

rewski

Btw, don’t do what a guy at work did and google shart instead of shard, messy.

don simon

I think it looks great, why criticise it?

I think you’re wrong, why not?
    *runs to Google*
    *wishes he hadn’t*

seavers

Agreed, why not criticise it? Subjective surely, aesthetically speaking.

Prince Charles will probably have something to say about it, I hope it gets on his ridiculous tits.

cynic-al

DS you query it as a waste of money – only the investor will know the answer. He thought it was a better investment than refurbing empty office space.

Anyway he’s got a great hairdo:

don simon

But with much of it not yet let or sold my question is more about the need for such a spectacular building.
    During this period austerity, that we’re in together, is the private money just showing off or is it a sustainable investment.
    From a building point of view it seems to be quite a spectacular feat.
    As a thing of beauty, it’s gopping.

TheBrick

Well it started to be planed and built before the financial problems

aP

The issue I have with the shard is mostly down to its size- not especially its height but the huge footprint at ground level and the fact that it’s being used as a progenitor to a series of massive, TBH not very good tall buildings which are either just finished, in construction or planned.
    Oh, and the not terribly shard of glass nature of it – it’s a pretty bloody solid lump, not really like the visualisations at all.
    I’m just waiting till next year when hopefully there’ll be som PR beanos at the top. Yes, double standards 😉
    It’s still a lump though.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Wasn’t it built with a deal done for renting out most of the floor space already done, then they got greedy and bought out the contract believing they could make more.

But now find they are unable to let out space, which makes it a pretty impressive monument to greed.

mikey74

An emblem of the success of London/UK

You do realise it was funded with Middle-East (Qatar) money, don’t you?

retro83

I wonder how many bike parking spaces it has…

Apparently 250 were planned, not sure how many went in.

don simon

You do realise it was funded with Middle-East (Qatar) money, don’t you?

Was it? OK I might have to rethink my opinion. 😕

cynic-al

…and planned around 2000, 8 years before the recession?

and it’s OK if it’s a waste of eastern money, not UK?

racist.

Premier Icon Kona TC
    Subscriber

I think its brill

seavers

The London skyline has been evolving over hundreds of years and it takes this kind of private investment to continue this evolution. Love it or hate it us plebs will never have much of a say.

But if you were rich/powerful enough to make such an impact on a major city would you? I would, it would be awesome! The Eiffel tower was hated when it was built.

I think the worse thing about the building is that it costs a family of four £90 to get to the viewing platform.

Edit….The Seavers tower…..nice.

mikey74

As a building, I quite like it. Does it fit in that part of the city? Hell no!!

deluded

I’ve just landed the contract to wash the windows.

seavers

You are going to need a bigger mop.

don simon

An emblem of the success of London/UK or a total waste of money?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18716658
    Pretty boring and ugly if you ask me and totally uneccesary as I understand a lot of offices are still empty.
    Program on More4 at 19:55 too.

deluded

You’ve no idea how big my mop is?

seavers

Ha ha…yeah silly me. Anyone who lands that kind of contract must have a whopping mop.

BrickMan

I quite like it, remember being on the top and couldn’t wait to get back down out of the cold/sleet; shame they never probed as deeply as they could have into the King William Street tube tunnel. We had a good bash at it, but getting enough gear onto site to do it undetected was an impossible task.

CountZero

Oh, and the not terribly shard of glass nature of it – it’s a pretty bloody solid lump, not really like the visualisations at all.

What, like Canary Wharf? It’s completely covered in glass, so it reflects the surrounding sky, and it tapers to a point, totally unlike virtually all earlier tall buildings, like the Sears Tower, Empire State, Twin Trade Towers…
    If you stand on the Millenium Bridge it hardly dominates the skyline, unlike the untidy jumble of buildings on the North side of the river.

hh45

I don’t like the look of it as much as the Gherkin but its probably a more usable building internally.

I can see it out of my office window, about 100 metres away and it looks ok, nice clean lines and so on.

I also like its profile when seen from M11 beyond the M25, Hog Hill Cycle Circuit, the A2 and even from Easyjet when coming into land at Gatwick.

As for an earlier comment about being unlet I think a lot if is already let to a hotelier and a lot more is flats so its not too screwed by the general weakness in office market.

aP

Well none of those other buildings pretended that they’d be mostly transparent. The shard was sold on being a semi translucent building.
    It is a lump, it’s nowhere near transparent, the top is clever but the rest isn’t.
    At ground level it obliterates the surrounding area, the son of shard is a huge lumpen building, and the issues during construction damn it for me. It’s not even slightly witty like GLA building or Swiss Re (even though they show SFNPs inability to get buildings to hit the ground successfully).

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

Looks bloody impressive at sunset when on the westerly runways at Heathrow.

chewkw

The architect has no imagination … Ugly slim pyramid IMO.

Oh look I can design one too … yes, it’s a rectangle building. 🙄

brakes

I really like it.
    When I get up and set off on my bicycle on a morning I can see it from the top of the hill I live on and I think, right, that’s where I’m going this morning. From 7 miles away, on a sunny day, it looks like an ice sculpture straigth outta Krypton. Then when I get to work and look out the window it’s standing there majestically, ominously.
    Yes, it’s an ego-falice and is an expression of wealth and greed – it’s therefore found its rightful home in that London.

brooess

Pretty impressive in real life. Dead cool standing underneath and looking up. Views from the top must be stunning
    Wonder if it’s been BASEd yet?

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

I think it stands out too much. Probably the whole point of sky scraper willy-waving.

djglover

I love it, up close or from 15 miles away on a hazy Sunday morning in Richmond park it is domineering like nothing before in the central London skyline.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

it’s nowhere near transparent

I would imagine a transparent building would offer some challenges.

For one thing, where would you put the loos?

And how would you stop people walking into walls?

And men staring though the transparent ceiling to see up the skirt of Sandra from Accounts?

It’s a minefield I tell you.

mudmonster

The laser show was rubbish.

ericemel

I think it looks epic!

ohnohesback

It’s a fact of economic cycles that shortly after such grandiose projects are completed the economy takes another lurch down…

Too big and in the wrong place.

don simon

Too big and in the wrong place.

As the actress said to the bishop! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The Shard.’ is closed to new replies.