Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The secret ingredient for a safer bike helmet……………
  • bruneep
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Not the way I sweat it isn’t.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Like the ones out of Christmas crackers?

T666DOM

+1 onzadog. That thing would last one day on my head before it was papermache.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This is old news, gents! It passed it’s testing after being in a tank of water for 24hours. It’s waxed or something, so basically doesn’t get messed-up.

I’m all for it – Making the polystyrene ones is labour intensive [requires extensive hand-finishing], and they don’t degrade.

Using Cardboard means it can be cheaper, more degradable and will also open-up new shapes and styles – I hope it will drive further adoption of helmets – which I am in favour of in general. I hear they also provide further distance for deceleration, so that’s going to prevent some injuries 🙂

The Hovding, on the other hand, is waaaay OTT.

robbieh
    Free Member

What next, chocolate fire guards?

Euro
    Free Member

Seems like a good idea to me.

SD-253
    Free Member

One that’s comfortable and you don’t look a dick in. Your are more likely to wear it and they work best that way.

kayak23

“I hit the door, did a couple of somersaults and fell straight on my head. My helmet was completely cracked, completely unusable.”

It did it’s job then?

That Abus one above is dope!

jamj1974

I would wear one without any hesitation. Would want a trail style helmet version though.

irc

“I was riding my bike down a hill, wearing a helmet and a guy opened his car door,” says Anirudha Surabhi, who lives in London.

I’d suggest avoiding the doorzone before worrying about helmets. Especially as wearing one didn’t prevent concussion and whiplash. I’d imagine landing on a helmeted head increases the risk of neck injury.

Northwind

It can do. But it can also reduce it. And you can’t really make a good judgement of which is the greater effect because we just don’t have the numbers. Bit technical.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

SD-253 – Member

One that’s comfortable and you don’t look a dick in.

Clearly this lot did not read your post:

chip
    Free Member

If someone developed a helmet made from the poo of the Shetland ponys gathered only in the month of June.
    And was proven to be significantly better at bonce protection than current helmet design, if affordable I would buy it.
    Despite the constant enquiry if whether or not I could smell horses.

Now if some one built a contraption that dropped people on their head and then offered them the choice of wearing a helmet or not before dropping them on their head .
    I would suggest anyone who turned down the offer had already been dropped on thier head.

I always thought people who choose not to wear a helmet (their right) always believed it would not happen to them, because no one when getting on their bike thinks today I will suffer a life changing brain injury. Rather than believe that wearing a helmet would cause more damaged if dropped on your head.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The paper helmet is made by Abus and POC as far as I can tell. It’s supposed to be on sale. Has anyone found one actually listed? Intrigued to know what they cost

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting. The liner (only) is 15% lighter than EPS, but the helmet ends up at 560gm.

It absorbs 3 x the energy (which presumably correlates to lower decelerations on the brain during a crash).

It costs £80.

Seems to be in between a rock and a hard place. If it looked cool to the racing fraternity they could sell it for £150 and the technology might drip down into the £30-£50 helmets most commuters buy. As it is I can’t see it making much inroads into the market.

Northwind

They’re missing a trick by missing out on the bakery tech

merynella
    Free Member

Paper? Think of the trees. We should follow his logic to its obvious conclusion and start farming woodpeckers.

SD-253
    Free Member

. irc – Member
    “I was riding my bike down a hill, wearing a helmet and a guy opened his car door,” says Anirudha Surabhi, who lives in London.
    I’d suggest avoiding the doorzone before worrying about helmets. Especially as wearing one didn’t prevent concussion and whiplash. I’d imagine landing on a helmeted head increases the risk of neck injury.

How would wearing a helmet increase the risk of neck injury? Surely the odds of neck injury are the same while reducing severity of head injury?

SD-253
    Free Member

.woodlikesbeer – Member
    SD-253 – Member
    One that’s comfortable and you don’t look a dick in.

Clearly this lot did not read your post:

A normal cycling accident involves sliding along the floor on your face. Clearly the person in the picture is not going to fully protect his face. Although maybe the strap could go forward pulling down the helmet.

aracer
    Free Member

Rotational forces. The effective size of your head is increased, thus increasing the torque.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

SD-253 » How would wearing a helmet increase the risk of neck injury? Surely the odds of neck injury are the same while reducing severity of head injury?

Rotational forces. The effective size of your head is increased, thus increasing the torque.

aracer – are you TJ by proxy now? 😆

aracer
    Free Member

No – if I was I’d have written:

They simply do not understand how a helmet works. the cardboard disposable helmet is a damn good idea – and the increase in rotational energy is not controversial at all. How much effect it has may be. It also increases diffuse axon injury chances from the swirling of the brain – in minor hits this gives rise to concussion greatr than a stright hit, in high energy impacts it causes greater disability. Rotational forces are actually more important in this way that in neck injury

😉

Northwind

Think of the helmet as basically a lever, and it’s easy to see how it could in theory make injuries worse. But we lack good facts really. I think MIPS in some helmets is designed to reduce this effect, could be wrong on that though?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The secret ingredient for a safer bike helmet……………’ is closed to new replies.