Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • The Salvation Army- thoughts?
  • hora
    Free Member

Interms of religions, where do they ‘sit’? etc etc?

I’m struggling to find a negative about them. They seem to do alot of selfless work- Christmas day, soup kitchens etc etc.

A grey religion?

Please no Islam-hate. I dont want the thread closed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Harold Bishop

yunki
    Free Member

Brass bands

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Worse army in the world imo.

oldnpastit

Salvation Army Brass Band Carol book: an unsung great contribution to British culture. Every time you hear a brass band playing a Christmas carol, they’re using this book.

At one time I knew pretty much the whole thing by heart, including which carols had which numbers. Then they changed the ordering around, and added “I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus”, and it was never quite the same.

wrecker
    Free Member

Worse army in the world imo.

😀
    I don’t think their fieldcraft is up to much.

mt
    Free Member

Chriastain based and in my experiance very committed to the work they do in areas some of us fear to tread. Having had a small amount of experiance with one of their Manchester hostels, the none judgemental help offered to those that turned up each day was a lesson. As far as I know they raise all the money they need themselves. Only the whole it’s the on Christian charity I’d give money to. I look at what they do and who they work with in the UK and think that could have been me.

Bregante

I met a salvation army captain a few years ago and he was a totally sound bloke doing a very difficult job in a shitty area. As others have said he went about his work in a totally none judgemental fashion
    Hard as nails he was.

khani
    Free Member

I’ve been doing some work at the Hadleigh center in Essex that’s run by the Sally Army, they provide training and support for people with learning difficulties, and the work they do is superb, and makes a real difference to their lives..
    Regardless of religion.. they do a lot of good work for people in local community’s that need help and support..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If all they did was the Christmas band in Sloane Square, I’d happily donate just for that. As above though, they do so much more….! Worth noting re Hadleigh that the Olympic course was on their land, so kudos to them for getting that to happen.

Pyro

As far as religion-based charities go, I think they’re grand. They helped a friend of mine out when things went south while he was in Oz a few years back, and from his comments they were helpful, professional and, as others have said, non judgemental at a time when he was both in a shitty situation and embarrassed as hell about it. While he’s not of any particular faith, he now volunteers with them over here to repay the kindness.

khani
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. The Olympic course, its a lot knarlier in real life than it looked on the telly.. 😀
    And if anyone’s got kids its a great place for a day out, they have a rare breeds zoo and a nice little cafe that’s full of cakey goodness.. well worth a visit and a show of support..

fr0sty125
    Free Member

They do a lot of good work but on the other they have views on sexuality that I absolutely detest.

khani
    Free Member

I don’t agree on some of their views either, and I’m not religious in any shape or form, but they didn’t judge me and don’t judge the people they support, and do a lot of good work that makes a real difference to people’s lives..
    They are a crap army though, not one tank.. Not one… 😥 but they’ve got a castle, which is cool..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Nothing against them. Though I’m not keen on the militaristic heirachical structure, and when I see an attrctive young woman in one of their frumpy uniforms I think “What a waste…”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Gay prejudice.

Also, “salvation” from what?

kayak23

I quite like their shiny buttons.

imnotverygood

My Dad once shut the door on some Salvation Army collectors with the words: “sorry, I’m a pacifist”

RustySpanner

They do a very good job, and I’m sure that they are a very pleasant bunch of dedicated, selfless individuals.

However, other, non religious organisations provide much the same support & you can’t move round here for Brass Bands. 🙂

And their views (however non-judgemental) regarding homosexuality are a bit off.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>and when I see an attrctive young woman in one of their frumpy uniforms I think “What a waste…”.<

I’ve got good news for you – they don’t practice celibacy.

ButtonMoon

A good friend of mine tells me the story – As a young 18 year old serving in the RAF, he was sent to the Lockerbie disaster to guard the ‘pieces’. The RAF provided next to nothing and the Salvation Army fed & supported the guys through, what I can only imagine was a horrific experience. His recollection is very thought provoking.
    He is the most unreligious person I know, but he won’t pass them & not donate.

Makes me think how easy it is to misjudge, just because of religion/preconceived ideas.

Looks like other peoples experiences reflect my friends…..

konabunny
    Free Member

I’d be the first in line to make some snooty atheist comment, but they seem to do a lot of good alcohol, gambling and debt counseling here in Australia. They collect money in pubs on the weekend. they seem to be quite ‘tough’ and willing to get stuck in to unglamorous jobs in f’d up places in developed countries. Even Orwell in Down and Out in Paris and London says only that they are a bit preachy.

In all, they’d probably do better with a coin of Caeser’s than I would.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Regardless of religion.. they do a lot of good work for people in local community’s that need help and support..

This in the main but i refuse to give any money to any relgious charity as they do it for one reason [clue is in the name] and it is not one I support
    FWIW the vulnerable and down on luck make excellent converts as they are vulnerable and rich pickings they know this as well.
    FWIW this is the opening line on their explanation of what they do

The Salvation Army is an international Christian church worshipping and working in 126 countries and has more than 800 local churches in the UK and Ireland.

We believe in openly sharing our faith and the good news of God’s love for everyone, helping individuals to develop and grow in their own personal relationship with God, demonstrating a practical concern for all and speaking out against social injustice.

But not for the gayers obviously

MoreCashThanDash

I think they are a really good “advert” for religion – they seem to do a lot of really good, useful, compassionate work in some tough communities, without ever preaching to anyone. I’ve dealt with a few of their hostels through work.

A long time ago, I briefly dated a girl who was in the Sally Army band – she, nor her parents, ever pushed the church thing on me, although they said prayers before meals.

They are about the only “religious” group I’ll donate money to, tbh.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

recruitment advertising to rival the RM Commandos

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2akkmoegZ4[/video]

marko75
    Free Member

They helped out my grandfather when he was down on his luck. They are one of two charities that I donate to at Christmas (the other being GOSH).

I dont care of their religion nor of their views, but they seem pretty selfless and offer a lot of hope and assistance to those who probably need it the most. If donating at Christmas makes it possible for others less fortunate to have a better one – who am I to judge an organisation who can facilitate this.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard down and outs tend to be at rockbottom in every way possible so more of a cost/burden than ‘rich pickings’ if you want to argue the toss.

Someone burnt out and on the streets will hardly be a secret millionaire.

I uses to live close to a Major/Captain couple growing up and apart from always smelling of mints they always seemed nice/helpful.

As for the gay-thing. Name any religion that ignores the bible on this. Its their choice to not agree with it. Its not for everyone and vice versa.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…apart from always smelling of mints they always seemed nice/helpful.

😯 Mint ? They smelt of mint ??? How disgusting !

hora
    Free Member

Mints not mint!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

On top of all that, they have a really cool theme song…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD3MoiGdTr8[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mints not mint!

Was Trebor ? ………..Trebor mints are a minty bit stronger

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stick em up your bum and they last a bit longer..

AdamW
    Free Member

In the US they have refused to help anyone gay. Apparently the boss over there thinks gay parents should be put to death (most probably caught out on biblical teaching).

For that reason, I won’t have anything to do with them and give my charitable donations to other sources.

konabunny
    Free Member

Have you got a source for that, Adam? They say the exact opposite about serving LBGT people:

http://salvationarmynorth.org/about-us/what-we-believe/debunking-the-lgbt-discrimintation-lie/

Presumably the death thing is the ref to Romans in the Salvationist Handbook? http://salvos.org.au/about-us/media-centre/documents/ResponseJOYFMqusFINAL_000.pdf

khani
    Free Member

Stick em up your bum and they last a bit longer..

They taste funny then though..

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m not sure about them, but admittedly its just based on one event (which was very upsetting for me, at the time.)

West of Scotland, early 1970’s, could be a hotbed of hatred between Catholic and Protestant. My Mum was a very liberal Catholic, and I’d go to ‘The Chapel’ in the morning, and then a Sunday School run by the SA in the afternoon with my wee pal across the road.

I had no concept of religion whatsoever, being 5 or 6, and just enjoyed all of it.

I’d being going along for some months to SS, and had been contributing 2p every week for the Christmas Party, when I came home one Sunday afternoon, very upset. The ‘big man’ who ran it had found out I was a Catholic, had handed me back all of my contributions, and in no uncertain terms told me that I shouldn’t come back, and why.

Mum had a fit and tore strips off him.

I’m sorry to say this, but they’ve never had a penny off me since.

Sandwich

For the way a couple of family members/friends who are “Sally Army” behaved around my grandfather as he was dying I would not “give them the sweat from my bollocks”.

benji
    Free Member

I went to one of their playgroups as a toddler, so they do some good in the community.

Whereas the church of england haven’t got time for, it appears to be a pensioner club for the pious, as a teenager, parent’s divorced, and depending which parent I was with was whether they would recognise me, you have been to church but it’s a shame they don’t listen to a dam word and take notice, it’s not just a place to go and put shiny coins in the collection as if paying into some comfy retirement home for when the man with a scythe comes knocking.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would not “give them the sweat from my bollocks”.

To be fair I’m sure they would decline the offer.

AdamW
    Free Member

Konabunny:

I recall it being big in the ‘gay press’ (for want of a better word) at the time. Here’s one link, but others are available if you have a quick google. It was Australia, from the look of it and they rapidly backtracked. Damage done, as far as I’m concerned.

http://tgvnews.com/2013/06/salvation-army-says-gays-need-to-be-put-to-death/

I do recall one instance of a gay man being refused help unless he ditched his partner, I’ll see if I can dig that out.

Oh, found this, but it was from a while ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/24/us/beliefs-salvation-army-hears-dissent-over-gay-views.html?_r=4&hp&amp;

I give charitably but I refuse to give to anything like them. The ‘they should die’ chap was obviously being honest until it got him into the poo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The Salvation Army- thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.