Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The sad day when your bike…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…is going to cost more to service etc that it’s worth.

Still 7 years of good service for a HT with lots of riding hasn’t been too bad.

Brakes *******ed (that’s why I have been falling off?), forks trashed (ditto), drive chain trashed (ok lots of riding this winter in crap conditions) and headset again (odd that’s only 6 months old). Added together and that is quite a bill.

New bike, shall I, shan’t I??

daftvader
    Free Member

Do it…. you’ve already decided if you are honest about it.

haggis1978

Ridiculous question. It always time for a new bike 😈

aa
    Free Member

Well, that depends on your connection with the bike. One of mine is 17/18 years old. I’ve always just paid the bill.
    if it were a bike i didn’t have a particular connection with then sell and buy new.

coogan
    Free Member

Already done this and awaiting new frame. With new… everything.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am bizarrely attached to my bike especially given the use I have had over a (v challenging) last few years. There is a slight attachment to riding a basic bike down harder and harder stuff when it really is a pretty basic model. The guy in the shop was laughing when I described the last fall (Northern Monkey), at least the brakes and forks were almost a valid excuse and not just my lack of skill and bottle.

I still think I need to give it the respect of being a winter bike, although almost the same price to buy a new basic one.

Northwind

I just retired my commuter bike to the attic… It’ll probably come back down some time and get stuck on the turbo trainer but you know, 23 years is not a bad stint.

binners

Surely the motto is buy a really good frame. One that’s ‘just right’ and that you love. From that point on, it’s triggers broom innit? It’s just a case of hanging different things off it to replace the stuff that’s karked it and fallen off. I’ve got a complete new drive chain here, ready to fit to the P7. You should see the state of the one that’s about to disintegrate after being ground almost to dust through a particularly filthy northern winter. No point putting it on til it’s dried up properly though 🙂

My intense 5.5 is the same. I think the seatpost is the one that was on it when I bought it. And that really is the lot!

roverpig

Only you can decide what it is “worth”. New bikes are fun, but so is keeping a trusted friend going.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Surely the motto is buy a really good frame. One that’s ‘just right’ and that you love. From that point on, it’s triggers broom innit? It’s just a case of hanging different things off it to replace the stuff that’s karked it and fallen off

So they can change every single standard on it leaving you with a nice frame you can’t get forks, wheels, bottom brackets, tyres etc. for, and can’t sell cos no bugger wants an obsolete frame/

Bastids.

Junkyard
    Free Member

7 years is a good life it depends on whether your emotional attachment outweighs your rational urge to replace, Replace probably gets a better spec for a little outlay.
    I agree with Binners approach tbh but you have to love the frame/not be too fussy.
    I still have my original racing bike from 1986 in the attic one day she will be re born….one day.

rewski
    Free Member

…is going to cost more to service etc that it’s worth

maybe so, but it’ll be worth more once it’s working. You could always put medium spec parts on it then sell it. I would personally keep it and bring it back to life with top notch kit.

takisawa2

New bike.

Old one gets rigid forks, SS & big tyres.

You become a chick magnet.

Everyone’s a winner. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Frame is ok.

Brakes are the worst bit esp the rear.

Forks are next – but am I the only person still riding manitou slates?!?! Collectors items, never been serviced in 7 years!!!

Drivechain – not great but could wait (?!?!)

headset – ???

On the way home, I parked the car to buy son some shoes and no one nicked the bike on the back. It must be bad!!!

andytherocketeer

yeah have one bike purchased for £439 in 1989.

contemplated upgrade, just to get STI capability.

new groupset, some cable stops, new wheels, could use a new saddle too, new bars+tape, headset needs doing, plus a few tools to get cup+cone gubbins out, will cost more than just clicking a button on a new bike.

or if I buy all that new, I may as well click buy on new frame+forks too.

kcal

do you like or at least are used to the way it rides?

get it fixed.

Have 4 bikes. only one has any real value – the newest. the others are 14 – 16 years old, only frames (in the main) remain from original, but I just keep them going – bit of tinkering and changing, but I like them and couldn’t contemplate retiring them..

Of those 4, only were bought new by me, but even the other two are worth running – sometimes in odd guises (drop barred, fixed gear M2 Stumpjumper anyone) but they work for me.

7 year old forks? pah !! Marzocchi MXC Bombers anyone?

MoreCashThanDash

9 year old Mk1 Soul – original build £1500, then moved the parts to a Blur and rebuilt with bits off the classifieds here. Would cost maybe £2k to build up from new again?

Costs about £200 a year in parts and occasional proper servicing, keep looking at replacement bikes but can’t justify the big outlay upfront.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The sad day when your bike…’ is closed to new replies.