• This topic has 7,707 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 7 hours ago by mark88.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,921 through 3,960 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • ts4or5
    Free Member

Aaaggghhhh! Less than a month til my first ultra and I’ve gone and pulled my calf. Felt a pop on an easy 6 miler today.😢

Any stories of quick recovery – please!!

mogrim

Well then folks, what we up to this weekend?

Long run tomorrow morning, something like 25-30km in the local mountains. Not entirely sure what the route will be, but both the guys I’m going with are Tor and UTMB finishers so I’m guessing it’ll be tiring 😀

@ts4or5
    good luck with that, not ideal 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just short runs for me at the mo, exam week next week, so not much time.

Planning to do west island way as a training run with mrsnobeer soon, 45k and just up the road from here, should be nice.

She’s obsessed with planning adventures at this time of year, which is great. 😊

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Celebrated clubmate’s 300th parkrun today. Took it easy for 10 mile XC tomorrow and blimey, it’s busy in the middle of the pack! Nonsuch was packed today and a good time was had by all.

Ps I’m on 11 now, so a loooooong way to go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome service from decathlon.

I’ve done about 150 miles in my fujitrabuco 7s, the comfiest and best running shoes I’ve had, but they’ve ripped across the top of the toe box, sadly.

Put a review on decathlon website, straight away they contacted me, told me they’d replace or refund, no questions.

Brilliant.

So, the money I had for a new pair of ultra shoes can now be spent on a slight indulgence….

Always fancied trying the old school fell gems – Walsh pb. Anyone used them? I’d only be using them on hill races, I don’t expect them to be modern day comfy, but they look like they’ll grip like shite on a blanket.

Sizing? I’m size 10 shoe size, I wear size 11 road shoes, 11.5 for ultra, do I go 11? All those sizes are asics FWIW.

lunge

Ultra runners, a quick question the training and long runs.
    I’m doing a 40 miler in May and just want a sanity check on the backend of my schedule. I’m be building mileage and speed as normal and aiming at 50 mile weeks, but does this seem like a reasonable plan for the last month or so:
    5 weeks out – 22 miles
    4 weeks out – 18 miles
    3 weeks out – 30 miles or race a marathon
    2 weeks out – 18 miles
    1 week out – 10 miles

Feels like a lot of mileage but I’m also conscious that I’m still 10 miles short of full distance.
    What should I change?

lotto
    Free Member

I have a set of Walsh PB. Not any more traction over my Inov8 Mudclaw. Not as comfortable either. Where they win out is material selection. Very robust construction. Take a beating on the mountains, brush off, leave to dry and good as new. The sole material is also a lot denser and stiffer. Next to no give, so on a mixed course less than ideal. Anything less than total off road will wear down the spikes considerably. I’m a full size up on my normal running trainers (Nike Pegasus) and width is on the slim side so always thin socks. Any hill event you tend to be over the ankle deep in water relatively early on I find, so thin socks are ok.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

It’s a bit late to bring it up as race is tomorrow. It’s a 10 miler with a mixture of trail and road. Was going to try to get some trail shoes that are good on road and off, but didn’t so will be wearing my inov-8 x-talon. I’m concerned the rubber lugs will wear down after 4 miles of tarmac. What do you think?

lotto
    Free Member

A one off 4 miles should be ok for their longevity. It is a long way in such an aggressive sole though. Before I learned which events lent itself to soles like that I done a few mixed events in mud shoes. The worst thing was the feeling like I had football boots on and never really felt stable on hard pack ground.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lunge, longest run I did before any of my 40 miles ultras was 20, but at a decent pace, ie a lot faster than I knew I’d go during the event.

Chatting to folk on the day helps the miles pass 😊

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Thanks Lotto. They are aggressive and a little slippery on wet tarmac but are surprisingly compliant so I should be ok. Just need to go on that infuriating hunt for shoes again now. I could wear my Merrell 0mm drop shoes but I’m scared my calves won’t thank me for it.

Here we go: What shoes are good on and off road, have a drop of about 4-6mm, a fairly wide toe box and don’t cost the earth. Oh, and are in stock! Don’t you just love it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have no idea what drop any of my 4 pairs of current running shoes have! 🤣

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Probably the best way.

lunge

Here we go: What shoes are good on and off road, have a drop of about 4-6mm, a fairly wide toe box and don’t cost the earth. Oh, and are in stock! Don’t you just love it.

Nike Kiger?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Thanks lunge, will look at the Kiger.

Made a decision and ran in road shoes. Fine for about 99.9% of course apart from one muddy 20 Foot stretch that we crossed twice. First time around I leapt across a deep bit, no grip on landing, slipped out and fell, did barrel roll in the mud and carried on. Shoes filthy, me filthy. Almost did it second lap too. Apart from that they were the correct choice.

As for race, oh hell. Second lap was fairly agonising, legs screaming, massive hunger, hills that never end. Dragged myself to the end and got 1:18:45, 142 out of 629. Happy with that.

It was only 10 miles but felt like an epic to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done mate, that’s a grand result.

MrSparkle

Did Kendal Winter League first race at Scout Scar today. Fast and furious! My God it was hard! I was rubbish but it’s given me a kick up the arse to get fitter and hopefully complete the series (7/11) for only second time ever.
    If you are local ish to South Lakes and fancy some good hard 4-5 mile xc/fell races then I thoroughly recommend ‘em. Very well organised.
    http://www.helmhill.co.uk/index.php/races/80-races/114-kendal-winter-league

stever
    Free Member

Anyone else do the county XCs at the weekend? We had the Cheshires Saturday around what looked a fairly dull grassy course. Turned out to be pretty sloggy and heavy going and they found a couple of tiny hills. Now settling in to my new bottom half of the field, old man position. Hey ho, don’t train enough. Had a few decent battles, beat a couple of people that normally beat me, got beaten by even older men. Didn’t die. Result. Be nice to get a bit more mountain time in for 2020.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any fell race recommendations?.

Got a hankering to do some Lakes races, skidded and Causey pike on the radar, as N Lakes is better for a day trip from Ayrshire.

Also, my buddy prefers up n downs as he ain’t into navigation.

Cheers!

surfer
    Free Member

@nobeer

Not really a recommendation but if you arent already a member the FRA is worth the membership for the 3 times yearly mag alone. List of races here although their is BOFRA and a number of other non FRA ones on the web

stever
    Free Member

Causey Pike is a nice race and you wont need any nav 🙂
    I’ve run Skiddaw several times but not done the race, again v straightforward though.

surfer
    Free Member

@stever

No a bit too old and unfit for all that but I am proud of my nephew who gained an Inter Counties vest as an under 11 (5th) for Herts. almost 20 years after I had my first….

dashed
    Free Member

Well first run of the NY for me this morning. A slow 4km around a grotty Manchester park in the dark! I’ve been ill pretty much since mid December though so it was good to get out again. Back on it this week hopefully and try and get out in the hills at the weekend.

Nobeer – I’m aiming for the Great Lakes fell race this year but that’s probably the opposite of what your buddy wants 😉 https://www.amblesideac.org.uk/races/our-races/great-lakes/

dashed
    Free Member

Just signed up for the Great North Run. I put my name in the ballot earlier (queue of folk waiting to enter the ballot online was over 7,000. Mrs went to sign up tonight and queue was 25,000. I know a huge proportion of those will have logged out by the time their turn comes around but on the basis of how popular it is, I’ve just signed up for a charity spot for The Christie hospital in Manchester. I’ve never done a charity event since I was a kid so it seemed as good a time as any 🙂

No idea what time is reasonable as I’ve never done anything that long on the road but got 1:45 in my head!

chakaping
    Free Member

Joined a local running club, went out with them last Friday. Nice bunch and it was surprisingly pleasant to ruin a bit slower than usual and chat.

Been getting regular 5 to 10km runs in over the festive season and will start stepping the distance up a bit now.

Thanks for the poo-related advice before BTW, I think I’m starting to get a grip on it (no pun intended) but I should be OK if I follow my normal biking procedure of two installments before I head out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

Aye, once is rarely enough!.

Grand, joining a running club has been great, not quite a year since we joined, but have made some really good friends and met loads of cracking people.

dovebiker

Cross-post from the ‘doggy’ thread but this is the way I’ve managed to keep my running mileage up despite the weather!

Doggy running

Esther, 2 year old rescue Labrador loves running – just a short distance to the end of the street and the canal towpath. With all the rain, she fair kicks up the mud but the harness means I get around quicker! Sub 45 min 10k the other day even though it was pretty muddy in places.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Would like to do a fell race some time. Not many down south.

My Tadworth 10:

https://media.giphy.com/media/gg3gFq4LugSFwiYarW/giphy.gif

Can’t get GIF to embed.

mogrim

@lunge if you can run a marathon you can certainly do a 40 mile ultra. Just make sure you train on similar terrain to the ultra. Time on your feet is probably more important than distance – when I’m hitting peak training with my mates we’re usually something like 35km outings, maybe 6 hours or so up a mountain. (And my mates have successfully done the Tor des Geants, UTMB, etc…)

turboferret

Been away from this thread as I was occupied with family stuff over Christmas rather than hunched over a computer!

Christmas day I took my dad to the Lauriston Parlauf, a 2-person relay around the bottom of Wimbledon common. First time I’ve actually been at home for Christmas and been able to make it, great fun, and we came 3rd before pottering back home for lunch.

New Years Day, I managed to mis-read the parkrun website for the times of special events were published, so didn’t think it was possible to do double at Rushmoor/Frimley, as I have previously. Turned out they were at 9 and 10 so I could have made it, but had already made commitments so stuck to just one.

Sunday 5th, Surrey County XC Champs in Denbies, Dorking. I wasn’t expecting much given how crap I’ve been feeling between runs, but went off optimistically hard and managed to hold on for 11th, my best placing by a long way. Our club also won the team competition, with me as the 3rd scorer, so everyone happy. Hopefully get a Surrey vest for the Inter-Counties in March.

Despite being able to pull a decent performance out of the bag when it matters, I do feel like I’ve aged about 10 years in less than 6 months. My legs have felt ruined after pretty much every run, regardless of duration and intensity, and my core has been struggling too. Recovery seems to be several days as opposed to a few hours. The evening after the Surrey Champs I felt like I’d run a marathon, as instead of 45 minutes. No idea how I’ll crank it up to the intended 100 miles/week for London without turning into a complete cripple…. I certainly have to introduce some strength and conditioning into my weekly routine, but does this sound familiar to anyone? Is age just catching up with me? I am 40, and been running for about 5 years now, so not completely over the hill and did hope to continue at a decent level for a while longer.

stcolin
    Free Member

Think my running mojo has finally disappeared completely. I have zero motivation to go running at the moment and think that might be it now. I tried to get back into it over the last few months but didn’t feel I was making any progress at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

Come for a run with me Colin, you’ll feel awesome as you leave me for dead.

After riding Rivi in the filth on Sunday I’m actually considering taking my trainers instead of bike next time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but does this sound familiar to anyone?

when was the last time you had a proper rest ? – bearing in mind i see you strava 😉

It sounds like classic fatigue from the outside looking in . i realise im probably teaching you to suck eggs but extended recovery is a major sign

as well as overtraining you can also end up with cumulative fatigue causing burn out – which just a build up of stresses within the body that manifests its self with similar to overtraining.

theres also the aspect that perhaps you are just pushing harder efforts out of your body. lets not forget that as a runner 40 is just coming into your prime.

You may also just be on the cusp of illness and your bodys fighting it hard to keep it away after your hard efforts.

turboferret

@trail_rat

when was the last time you had a proper rest ?

You do have a point. The time when I backed off the running most this year was just after York marathon, but also corresponded with several weeks of painting our new loft and getting 3-4 hours sleep per night. I ended up being more tired than had I been running 100+ miles/week and sleeping well…. Summer 2017 was probably the last real rest period, as I had hurt my heel the previous November and was trying to let it recover 😮

Maybe I’ve been trying to hold fitness for too much of the year with the intention of hitting lots of goals. Trying to beat all of my club mates who are mainly ~10 years my junior with no children might be a part of this.

Maybe I need to shorten my marathon build and switch to easy cycling to work for a couple of weeks. How long would you suggest taking it easy for?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m the wrong guy to ask about recovery periods.

How ever i will say from reading that it does sound like a path to self destruction.

I know Dean Karnazes famously believes sleep is for when your dead but i don’t believe for one minute once in a while he doesnt just pack it in for a day or 2 and sleeps based on his schedule.

MrSparkle

In a piece of shameless self promotion – this is my fell race: https://www.dashers.org.uk/mr-sparkles-dark-un
    If anyone local-ish fancies having a go then I would be more than happy to see you. There is a Singletrack connection as a few off here have done it in previous years and Jenn was first lady once.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Some Sutton runners did Denbies. Quite tough apparently.

turboferret

@root-n-5th

It was the driest Denbies I’ve ever encountered – no mud at all, 1 small puddle on the whole course. Previously I’ve seen folk lose shoes! Some rolling hills, and the course was slightly longer than last time, but virtually no wind, pretty nice conditions overall.

surfer
    Free Member

@Turboferret

Good luck with your Inter Counties vest. As you will know unlike other xc races it is invitation only so every bugger there is in the top handful in their county…. It starts like no other race…..

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Any good trail races around the Surrey Hills? Most of the Sutton lot did the T10 – 39 of us.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,921 through 3,960 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.