Viewing 40 posts - 3,561 through 3,600 (of 5,199 total)
  • The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon zomg
    Free Member

I’ve now ticked off the last of the running goals I set myself a few years ago: sub 90 for a half; sub 20 for 5k (both done in 2017); and did a 10k in under 40 last month. For those of you who set similar goals, do you just set faster ones and carry on? It looks like fast for age marathon qualification for me would entail going under 85 minutes or quicker in a half…

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chaka, I generally ran 3 times a week when I first started. A 5k tempo, a lunch 5k with workies, and an easier paced longer run at weekend.

Mornings and lunchtime are a good use of dead time, if work/logistics allow.

Plantar seems quite common in new runners btw, I got a bit too, but tennis ball under the foot sorted it.

Premier Icon turboferret

root – sounds like you need some proper XC spikes! The vast majority have a tiny heel-toe drop so fit the bill from that perspective. No need to spend much on them and with a variety of spike lengths you will have a pair of shoes that will suit all conditions. You shouldn’t struggle for grip in anything other than shoe-stealing mud.

Well done on your run, unfortunately I’m missing the Surrey League due to kids swimming lessons on Saturday afternoons, was very jealous of my club-mates getting wet and muddy at Wimbledon Common at the weekend, and a friend had a stormer of a run to finish 2nd at Epsom.

Premier Icon mogrim

I had a good outing yesterday with my Argentine mate Miguel, 20km up a local mountain. Bloody freezing at the top, -5C or so and blowing a gale. I clearly need to switch on winter mode: while I got the clothing basically right, I forgot to carry the emergency blanket, overtrousers, crampons etc. If we had got into trouble it could have been quite serious as we weren’t really prepared for it. Fortunately nothing went wrong, but if it had…

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

For those of you who set similar goals, do you just set faster ones and carry on?

Interesting question. I never really set any time goals (other than trying to break 2 mins for 800 when I was much younger) I tended to be wrapped up in races with clubmates which eventually drags you to faster times. Racing really gets the best out of you so I would say train hard then race and wherever you are in the field against whoever is next to you. Its nice to be racing for a win or the podium but you need to be able to race when you are further back in the field and still be motivated to hurt yourself. One of the hardest races I remember many years ago was trying to break the first 100 in the Northern XC champs. The field was very good back then, much less so now!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

running buggies…. with big wheels for farm tracks etc….(we live rural so no pavements but plenty tracks)

what you using.

Currently using a croozer bike buggy with jogger attachment but its handle is too short , and the buggy its self is too wide/too low so scrapes on some of the deeper tracks and not handy for wife to get in the car on her own. + far too wide for my local Parkrun.

looking at the out and about nipper sport

Big inflatable wheels a must and ground clearance Can live with HI COG

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Nipper sport – we’ve had one and covers some rough ground no problem. Adjustable height handle so fits both me and my wife with no issue. Wheels pop out v quickly and folds flat to go in the car. Nothing else to compare to from a running perspective but I’ve done a good few miles with ours. Only minor down-side is the brake is on the front wheel which has little effect when going downhill (as v little weight on it when descending) but it’s only a minor thing.

Premier Icon r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Had a really good run yesterday. I’ve had manflu for the last week and was begining to panic about the trail marathon i’d entered for later this month! I was feeling a bit better so figgered i’d just go and see what happends. Turns out I managed my longest run to date! 32km and 1,130m ascent around the Derwent Valley area in the Peak. It was extremely boggy in places but mostly ok.

Best part was taking my newly aquired Alpkit BruKit and having a mid run brew and a pot noodle in one of the shooting cabins on the top of the moors with a friend. Loved it

Premier Icon chakaping

Chaka, I generally ran 3 times a week when I first started. A 5k tempo, a lunch 5k with workies, and an easier paced longer run at weekend.

Mornings and lunchtime are a good use of dead time, if work/logistics allow.

Plantar seems quite common in new runners btw, I got a bit too, but tennis ball under the foot sorted it.

Cheers, ironically I got PF from a nasty hike-a-bike in the Lakes then re-activated it by running too soon.

Been useful in a way though as it’s prompted me to use insoles in more of my shoes and I now seem to get less of the flat-footed slapping that used to characterise my running.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Turbo – I’ll check out some spikes as been looking at Inov-8 shoes costing upwards of 100 notes and they seem a bit excessive. Thanks.

Your mate must have been flying/skating to come second – some proper fast people on these races – great to be a part of, but a loooong way back. And we’re only Division 3!

Turns out my time does count toward the team result as we had a rogue runner in our results – I have now been promoted to 10th place, but because I’m obviously placed lower we score less and we have dropped into the relegation zone. There’s no way my 38:22 should be counting to our result as the next person in our team did a 35:59, so I’m way off the pace. I think our leader got a 22 but 3 of our faster runners weren’t there. Hopefully I won’t be in the top 10 again as feel a bit guilty, but I guess I was faster than the guy behind me so did what I could. Even so, it does feel good to be part of the “A Team”!

Premier Icon mogrim

Best part was taking my newly aquired Alpkit BruKit and having a mid run brew and a pot noodle in one of the shooting cabins on the top of the moors with a friend. Loved it

Ooh… now there’s an idea!

Premier Icon turboferret

This is what I use, it cost me £25 from eBay

Superjogger, rather old-school, and I have fitted a 5-point harness upgrading the original 3-point. 20″ wheels roll really well, copes admirably with anything I’ve run on – grass, mud, steps. Have done up to 20 milers in a group at a pace. Certainly no need to to spend silly money. Ironically the expensive Phil & Teds I bought turned out to be dangerous at speed so I sent it back for a refund!

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Brilliant photo, Turbo! The look your child’s face.

Found some Saucony Havok XC2 that look good and are half the price of the trail shoes I was considering. Might try to nip into Run And Become to have a look today. Any experience of these?

Premier Icon turboferret

He does look super-bored, Sam, but despite appearances was happily chattering away 🙂

I have wide feet and find Saucony too narrow me. I did rate the Kinavara’s I had briefly before bulging through the sides. However, there isn’t a massive amount distinguishing different XC spikes (not much padding required), so assuming they fit you should be fine. Once you have spikes you can engage in exciting pre-race debate about what lengths are best for the conditions!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

looks good rich

Ill keep an eye out , I’m a couple of months away from being safe to be jogging with her. We were out for a walk with the croozer yesterday to see how it was , the big wheels are definitely a must.

Will see what pops up and ask about the club too.

Premier Icon djambo
    Free Member

I’ve got that post run smugness feeling.

Usually my runs on work days need to happen at about 11am (pre lunch) or it doesn’t happen. I debated sacking it off and going to the shop to buy a pack of chocolate biscuits to be consumed at my desk instead for about 3 hours. Finally I forced myself to leave the office at 2pm and my usual 5.5km loop wasn’t enough so i trotted along and notched up 8.5km in the end.

Nice to force yourself to get out there and come back relieved you did it!

Keep running everyone/

Free Member

Nice to force yourself to get out there and come back relieved you did it!

Absolutely.

Running and biking, my mantra when I’m procrastinating about whether to go out or not is that I always regret not going, and never regret going.

Premier Icon eastcoastmike
    Free Member

First snowy mountain run of autumn on Saturday, 34k from Crathie to Braemar via Lochanagar and Loch Callater. Started off good, nice and crisp, but got to the plateau and the weather closed in, a total white void heading across to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, navigating was difficult and knee deep snow, no sign of the path. Thankfully got a window of clear skies near Loch Callater, stunning visibility (though had forgotten an sd card for the camera so only phone pics unfortunately). Started banging it down with snow on the track down glen callater, by the end was pretty beat and walk/jogged into Braemar

Snow starting about 650m heading up from Crathie

Snow getting deeper heading up Lochnagar

A minute after this cloud came over and didn’t see much for next couple hours

Quite a few walkers out looking a bit cold

Brief opening in the void

All of a sudden contouring around Carn an SM..boom

This bit was shit, hidden holes up to balls deep in snow

I can just about see a path over there

Loch Callater. trail was icey and seems to have suffered some flood damage, odd deep rut that will be a mare on a bike

End of callater track

As mogrim mentioned, reckon I could prep a bit better on ‘white-out’ navigation, was pretty hairy on the plateau, had a map and compass and gps as backup but trying to gauge distance travelled and calculating and staying on bearings with big mitts on was a mare

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

Ace pics Mike! Stunning.

Free Member

Once again, amazing pics Mike. 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Premier Icon flyingmonkeycorps

@trail_rat – I can also recommend the Nipper Sport. I’ve only run on road with it so far (for which it’s brilliant) but done a fair bit of walking offroad and it handles pretty much as you’d expect. Brake is fairly useless as mentioned, but it’s better than nowt.

MiniMonkey loves it, until she falls asleep and I have to walk home, usually in the pissing rain.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Great photos. Cold here, but not that cold.

Tried on some XC spikes yesterday and they are strange shoes. Nothing to them and very narrow so not sure they will work for me. Made the mistake of getting gait analysis done and some Saucony road shoes were a good fit and so comfortable compared to my minimalist things. Also offered support to stop foot collapsing inwards. Didn’t buy them as £120
    Quid which seems a lot for A Pair of shoes to me.

Seems I need some new road shoes and some proper off-road shoes, so it’s a bit like bikes – N+1.

Free Member

Sportshoes.com or asics outlet for my shoes.

Premier Icon lunge

Sportshoes.com or asics outlet for my shoes.

This and the Nike Outlet stores if you’re lucky.

Premier Icon turboferret

Although I feel like I ought to be boycotting Nike subsequent to the Kara Goucher/maternity leave/NOP/Mary Cain issues which have been coming out, but I have just succumbed to an offer GAMETIME22 for a 22% discount on the Nike store…

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Been looking around and it seems that #120 isn’t that much for a decent pair of road shoes. Anybody got any experience of the Saucony Omni Iso2? Seemed very comfortable to me so might invest in a pair.
    Cheers.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

I have just succumbed to an offer GAMETIME22 for a 22% discount on the Nike store…

Pair of NEXT% then I presume TF?

Free Member

Been looking around and it seems that #120 isn’t that much for a decent pair of road shoes.

80 quid tops for me, only use them for 300 miles, usually look around on SS and I’ll get a pair of asics that were 120 quid for around 50, last years model.

Premier Icon johnw1984

Jumping into the running a bit late in the year! Going to start tonight and if all goes well, I might be more into the 2020 thread 🙂

Using it as an alternative to MTB, shift a bit more weight and to compliment the weight training. Seems like it will fill a void nicely.

Doing a 15 minute run tonight after work to start off with and build up from there. Trying not to go too hard too soon. Cardio is decent so there’s always the temptation to go too fast or too far and end up hurting myself.

Got some Asics trail runners that I’ve had for ages and not worn a lot. I’ll buy some proper running shoes if I stick to it.

Premier Icon lunge

@johnw1984, good cardio and no running make you a prime injury candidate!
    Take it slow, slower than that, stretch lots after each run, build slowly.
    Couch to 5k will feel slower than you need to go but will really help you build slow enough.
    Ideally, try to run off road, even if it’s just round the local football pitches as it’ll really help reduce impact.

Premier Icon johnw1984

@lunge
    Cheers lunge, that’s pretty much what I’m thinking. I’m not going to repeat the last mistake of running 6.5 miles out of the door after not running for over a year! Couldn’t walk right for a week after that!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Saucony road shoes were a good fit and so comfortable compared to my minimalist things. Also offered support to stop foot collapsing inwards.

Were they the Guide ones? That’s my current choice and they are by far the most comfortable running shoes I have ever worn. As recommended above, I bought from Sportsshoesdirect.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

They recommended the Omni iso2 which seem to have more extreme stability than the guide, but are of course less common and can’t find that many on discount. I’ll keep looking.

Premier Icon turboferret

alanf, I’m afraid I have just pledged another large sum to Nike, although I think I might do as Stephen Scullion did for the Dublin Marathon a couple of weeks ago, and black them out. Not because I’m sponsored by another brand of course, just as a bit of a statement, which will probably mean absolutely nothing, as I’ve already given them my money…

Apart from the hypocrisy of just spending over £200 on a single pair of shoes, the majority of my shoes have cost me considerably less – my general go-to trainer is the Nike ZoomFly which are often on offer for about £55 despite the newer ones retailing for ~£130.

Once you find a style/brand that works for you, then you can generally find them cheap, assuming you aren’t dead set on getting the new colour scheme etc

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

@turboferret – I think you said in a previous post that when everyone else has the advantage, then why not, and with the times you run then I think it makes a compelling case for you to get a pair.
    Some other runners maybe not so.
    Of course Nike wants everyone to get on board so they can make more money, but I don’t think everyone would benefit from the shoes, so in a lot of cases they’re not warranted. In your case though I think they are. Still spending that amount on a pair of shoes would definitely hurt a bit!

Agreed though on your last statement. I wear Adizero adios most of the time and I can usually pick them up for around 45-60 quid when the retail is £130 (I think) now. I’ve got a few boxes lined up (4) for the coming year…

Premier Icon root-n-5th

As above, I think you can justify spending a fair bit with your ability Turbo.

Found some of the shoes at a much cheaper price. The saving will slow me to buy the trail spikes from the shop so I won’t feel so guilty. Road isn’t my favourite type of running, that would be trail, but the club sessions are on the road so I feel I should have some decent cushioning and support for my old bones. Hopefully they’ll work out.

Free Member

I’ve not ventured into spike world yet, trail and hill race duties are covered valiantly by Asics Fujitrabuco 7s, the only time they’ve been found wanting was the mud chute on the Jedburgh ultra, but there’s a bit of tarmac on that too, so there’s always gonna be a compromise.

Quiet week this week running wise, gym sessions and Tennis instead, saving my powder for the Glentress half on saturday, Peel center up to the mast and back, via walkers paths and some of the trail centre black too, should be fun!.

Premier Icon turboferret

Indeed, it would be nice for everyone to compete on a level playing field, and if shoes make a difference, then everyone needs to wear the same. There was 13 seconds separating me from 2nd place in York a couple of weeks ago, and the difference in prize money was £250 – would upgrading my shoes have made a difference?

What is annoying is the fact that Nike have completely dominated the market. I think things will improve when the other players catch up with comparable shoes. One assumes there will be an adjustment in the prices too. Until then I’ll be wearing these:

Premier Icon lunge

I hate my competitive self.
    Ran to work along the canal today, normally a gentle plod at 8:15 ish minute miles. There was a fella ahead of me on the canal and I had to chase him. This means I ended up running the 5 miles in a smidge under 7 minute miles. He may not have know he was in a race, but he definitely lost…
    This was not the gentle start to the day I anticipated.

Premier Icon turboferret

lunge – I know exactly how you feel, totally screws up recovery runs 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 3,561 through 3,600 (of 5,199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.