The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 3,644 total)
  • The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • trail_rat

riding in to hazlehead for the park run.

Wife and daughter meeting me there and going for a walk while i run – then we will go for walk and a coffee in the park then pending when my parents are due to arrive ill either Ride home on the road or run home through the woods.

Rest day today after 8.5 mile club longer interval sesh last night, pacing parkrun (25 mins) tomoro, then Half Marathon on sunday, which I’ll PB at, as I’ve only ever properly tried for a half time once before, and it was **** roasting with a brutal headwind, and the wheels came off big style. 🙂

Need to get a big run in before Jedburgh ultra in 3 weeks too.

That was awesome! Loved pacing a really comfortable time, means you can chat, encourage and be a nuisance!

Came across a 12 year old lad who’d went out too quick and had a stitch at the side 1km in, talked him round to a PB, brilliant, made my morning that.

24.53 so paced it not too bad, it’s pretty hilly and lots of heavy tree cover to play havoc with the GPS pace.

trail_rat

Well thwt didn’t go to plan. We all slept in this morning……would you believe that with a 2 month old….

Got to the start in the car with 10minutes to spare.

Ran pacing my self for a 25 mins finish since it’s my first parkrun since may…about half way my stomach turned and we stepped on the gas as much as my guts would let me.

Ran a 22.39 and continued on straight to the cafe and used the facilities

And have been back about 4 times…..

I appear to have caught an illness…..just hoping it isn’t rotovirus from the little one (she’s just had her jabs so was warned about the possibility)

My Garmin also didn’t catch a GPS signal prior to starting so I just have an accelerometer distance measurement 🙁

As D:ream said….things can only get better …

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

My other half was there Terry, she was going out about some borderline ginger bloke that was just in front of her with shite running down his legs…

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

Really enjoyed the pacers last week so we’ll done for doing it. No pacers for me this week and I had four excuses:

1. Still feeling Thursday evening’s track session.
    2. Drank too much last night.
    3. Sore calf strapped up.
    4. Muddy and slippery at Nonsuch.

New PB: 23:38. Went out a bit harder today. Might have been better a touch slower but picked it up for final 2k. All good fun.

Lol at Duckman! It’s strawberry blond a tell ye! 😂

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

Anyone know if the Strava training plans are worth it?

10K Plan VO2 Max/Lactate Threshold

8 Weeks The 10K requires equal parts speed and stamina. This 8-week 10K plan builds your speed but also improves your stamina.

I’m busy with work at the moment so not riding but running 10 – 12 km every other day (so I dont go mad). I find the relative effort a useful tool. If left to my own devices I tend to just bang out variations of the same run and it’s getting a bit boring.

trail_rat

I’m brown

…..well up top.

Beards ginge

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

Aye, she mentioned the brown! I realise time is at a premium, but entered anything else this year?

trail_rat

Mhari your Mrs ?

That’s my first park run after recovering from the lairig ghru

Planning some duathlons over winter. Hoping to get some TT form for next season due to the time premium.

And looking at taking an hour off the lairig ghru next year if I get an entry.

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

No, my other half was the tall blonde in the Vegan Runners top. I did the Clova duathalon the other week, first time I have ever raced a bike and I loved it…Less said about the 9 miles with 2800ft run the better.Thats some target for the LG as you were what: A wee bit over 5?

trail_rat

At the start of the season I had half an eye on that but alas I was not running due to injury and I was offshore working when it happened.

The run looked tough.

5:15 last year. More running down hill and more squatting. My lower back gave in and hip adductors stopped firing.

Work on that there’s a tremendous amount of time to be gained.

johndoh

Well I didn’t manage the parkrun again due to our ill daughter insisting she competed in the inter-school cross country race she’d entered. Despite having to stop half way around due to her sore throat hurting when she was gasping for air, she recovered and was in third place until she was pipped (quite literally) at the last 2 metres and ended 5th. Still, that does still mean she has qualified for the regional final next month 🙂

I ended up doing what was meant to be a steady 5.5 mile run on Sunday but I was feeling good in the final 1.5 miles (which includes the big climb up Otley Road as featured in the World’s last week) and ended up PBing all all segments all the way up.

Took 9 minutes off my Half Marathon time yesterday, on what was a pretty lumpy route as well. Ran pretty steadily to come in at 1hr 38mins. Fairly happy, on a flatter route and with some more specific training there’s defo more gains to be made.

I’ve only ever really went at one half mara before, and it was a bit of a disaster, hence the big time gain. 🙂

Was the Neil McCover half, named after a local policeman that was killed on his road bike, sadly. Good to keep peoples memories alive IMHO.

Nice work all. Getting proper jealous, running has been impossible for a month now. Rode yesterday, one of those crappy rides where everything goes wrong, all the time thinking “this would have made an excellent run…” Grr.
    Time for another chat to the physio. I can walk fairly pain-free, so walked to work today (10km) and just got shooting pains down my shin and foot.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Well, that was embarrassing.
    Volunteered at junior parkrun yesterday. They were running a new course and so asked me, as an experienced volunteer who can run a bit, to be the lead runner so no-one got lost. No problem thinks I, kids were given the instruction to follow the lead runner and to let me know if I was holding them up…you can see where this is going can’t you…
    I didn’t warm up, why would I, these are kids. I didn’t even take my thicker running top off that I wear when I’m stood around, again, why would I, it’s no issue.
    From the start I find myself in a sprint off with kids trying to overtake me. I did the first lap (1km, give or take) at a pace of just under 6 mins/mile with a heartrate of circa 180bpm. I had to pull off after that as I couldn’t keep going any more.
    Said child completed the 2km event in just under 8 minutes.
    I got royally abused by the rest of the team, quite rightly.

mogrim

Anyone know if the Strava training plans are worth it?

Just had a look at the marathon plan – 4 runs a week, a combination of fartlek+easy runs during the week and a long run at the weekend. And repeat for the next 12 weeks. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I don’t think you really need a plan for it.

These seem a bit more interesting: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training-plans/

surfer

Never followed one but the plans on the Coolrunning site look reasonable

proper lol @ Lunge! well done mate! 🙂

dogbone, if you use a garmin watch, there are training plans on garmin connect that look good, tell you what you should be doing on the watch face, you can pick the timecale ie 12 weeks, 16 weeks etc, and put in a target time too.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

I have seen a fair degree of success following the Pfitzinger and Douglas plans in their book Advanced Marathoning. A variety of distances per week and duration of training catered for.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

So, Saturday’s forecast looks like chucking it down all day. A perfect day for me to do my first ever cx race (sans bike) in Richmond park, methinks.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

roots – Surrey League I assume? Which club are you racing with? I would ordinarily be racing too but kids swimming is taking precedent this season.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

Sutton Runners, re-named by my daughter as the highlighters due to the dayglo shirt. I think it’s surrey league and I am “racing” in the loosest sense of the word. I’m only doing it because there are more than 10 in our team and only the first 10 go towards the result.
    My good (edit: and only) wife is doing child duty.

Good luck roots!

My XC debut is the county champs 4 man relay next week, however we’re the 4th team from the club, so no pressure*.

*I’ll still have the fear though, big style! 🙂

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

Have now survived a few trail runs but am getting a very sore arch in my right foot. For my MTB and roadie shoes I use a the blue specialized footbed. Can anyone recommend some medium arch supporting insoles which dont break the bank?

dashed

Try the sidas 3feet footbeds. Different heights and I like the yellow high version

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

Well, that was different. Very unlike a parkrun where I guess I’m in the top 15% of runner despite being average. Just one look at the 300 strong field of fit looking male athletes and I headed to the back for the start. Again, unlike a parkrun the field was much closer, stampeding across park, a sound like thundering horses. Tempted to join in the fun but ran my own race as 5 miles an unknown distance for me, so took it easy.

It was muddy, slippery, wet, hilly and bloomin’ good fun. Had some left for the final km and got a good finish up the hill.

I wasn’t last, but was amongst the slower finishers – just behind the main herd really. Was aiming for 45 minutes but got 41:53 so happy with that.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Has anyone ever used the exposure lights headband? I’ve got an axis and it’s seems crazy to buy another expensive light just for running.

Or is running off-road with a hand torch a stupid idea?

MrSparkle

Not contributed to this thread for a while. After I did the Joss Naylor Challenge I went down with tendinitis in left foot. I kept trying to ‘run it off’ and ignore it but it was pretty excruciating so I’ve not been running for the last 4 months. Luckily I’ve still been able to cycle so not gone completely insane. Eventually I went to see a Physio who came up with an action plan which I have kind of been doing. Anyway, today I did a Parkrun (Ford Park, Ulverston) in 23:02 which is pretty much a PW and I couldn’t be more delighted! Virtually no pain. I am very, very happy!

trail_rat

Has anyone ever used the exposure lights headband? I’ve got an axis and it’s seems crazy to buy another expensive light just for running.

It will end up sitting on your ears.

It doesn’t work for running ime.

I just bought a 15 quid led 1500 lumen special off eBay and it’s been grand.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

It will end up sitting on your ears.

It doesn’t work for running ime.

The reviews I could find weren’t great. Local running shop has some tidy looking silva ones in

trail_rat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingtop-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Zoomable-Internal/dp/B075TZ7SCP/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=head+torch+rechargeable&psc=1&qid=1570909832&sprefix=head+torch&sr=8-17

I have an older version of that and just carry spare 18650s.

My previous Silva’s don’t seem all that robust . Genuine Led lensers seem to be the popular one with the posh guys we run with occasionally.

stumpy01

jam bo

Or is running off-road with a hand torch a stupid idea?

Decthlon do a chest mounted Ironman style light for running.
    I use one and find it realy good. I think its about £30.
    The light beam swings from side to side as you’d expect as your chest moves, but it’s a wide enough beam that it’s not really a problem.

stumpy01

Doing my first half marathon tomorrow.

No idea how it’s going to go.
    I followed a 10 week training plan, but had a 3 week rest in the middle because my hamstring has been playing up.
    Since then I’ve only been doing a short run in the week and then a longish one at the weekend.

My fallback plan is 2hrs, but hopefully gonna be able to push and get a bit more out of it. Just need to be careful that I don’t bugger up my hamstring.

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

Just worked out that Kipchoge’e 2 hour marathon pace works out at 2m 51sec per km! May set that as my reps pace for next week (but not certain I can do a full minute at that pace).

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

He was under 2 hours so might have been quicker.
    68 seconds 400m, 17 seconds 100m, 14:10 5k.
    Mind boggling.

dashed

Just done my longest ever run / race – the Windgather Fell Race our of Buxton (22k). I had been worried about a niggling shin splint but didn’t feel it at all. My friendly IT band on the other hand…! Mixed feelings of frustration at being nearer the back of the field than the front (but it was a small field due to the weather) and chuffed at actually completing it! Puts it in perspective that Kipchoge managed a marathon and a few press conferences before I finished a half 😉

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Interesting experience at the Brum half today. A suspicious vehicle was found on the course and so they had to shorten it by 2 miles. So a half turned into an 11 miler. Good pace and a nice run, just not quite what I signed up for.

dashed

Just heard on the radio they cancelled the Cambridge half and had full firearms response to an incident due to the actions of someone “being misinterpreted by a member of the public”!

Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 3,644 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.