• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooyah.

Us baldies don’t have much protection eh? I’ve lost count how many times I’ve lost skin to the shed door….

turboferret

Ah yes, the shed has taken a good few bits of skin, but has never threatened to knock me out 😀

mogrim

tf ouch!

Started properly training again last night with my club, did an inverted pyramid of 1600m / 1200 / 800 / 400, hurt a bit at the time but felt great after – it’s nice to do a bit of speedwork again after taking a few weeks off post-ironman, and tapering beforehand. Now just need to find a new target race to keep me motivated, maybe the Seville marathon which has a convenient date at the end of February.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve kinda realised I’ve been going through the motions at club track night, decided to up my effort last week and enjoyed it so much more. Picked a couple of guys who are generally 20 metres ahead after say a 400m, and stuck to them as long as I could.

Next race won’t rely on speed mind, 40 mile river ayr way. Really looking forward to it though, just looking at it as a day out on my local MTB pootle trails. Finishes 2 miles form home, so be rude not to.

firestarter
    Free Member

Had another 10k trail run and another PB 45.52 now so this long and steady miles lark seems to be working:)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Excellent, well done mate!

lunge

I’m trying to remember who on here scalped himself on a canal bridge recently – well I did something similar myself yesterday

Hello, that was me! Happy to provide pics to remind everyone if you so desire.
    Still got a cracking scare there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Religious stretching , foam rollering and spikey balling.

Plus three more toenails off entirely.

I’m gonna try and restart running after the lairig ghru.

I’ve had a couple of false starts. Here’s hoping this one’s more successful

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers nobeer and good luck trailrat

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m guilty of not stretching at all! Foam roller can be handy, but I’m lucky to know a lass that is cracking at sorting my legs out, it’s an hour of proper pain every 2 months, but it’s well worth it.

Of course, when she asks if I’m ‘still doing my stretching’ I lie through my teeth! 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gonna give the track a miss this week, there’s another session at the same time, which looks good and also coincides with little nobeer being on the track. It’s a group session oot and aboot, 10 minute warm up, then 3 ‘efforts’ with 3 minute jog cooldown (for group to come back together) in between each one, 15, 10 and 5 minutes.

Not really sure how to pace them, I’m thinking my 10k race pace, mibbe a wee bit faster?.

dashed
    Free Member

@nobeer – have you seen this? Our club use it for predicting pace for track sessions. You enter a 5k or 10k time then it give you your pace (under training) for different reps. Dunno if that’s any use for something time-based???
    https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/?fbclid=IwAR0Q30zvIAjN7Zh88-mYlDMj4Tvbxd7-Noy9o83f911zoJ0dUsQCFiDOMwA

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, that looks pretty good, can just try n work out time against distance. I’ll have a play at work tomoro, cheers dashed!

firestarter
    Free Member

Had an interesting long steady run with the mrs today , she went flying at mile 4 and at mile 13 I felt terrible I’d been feeling not great for a few miles tbh, I got to a big local roundabout at top of a long hill and then sat on a cable box for a bit then tried to get up and ended up in the verge on my back, head pounding and vision gone. Luckily two off duty ambulance lads stopped and checked on me and called an ambulance as they were concerned. Now I have shaved bits on my chest from ecg lol lots of tests and an ambulance ride home. Still feel crap but getting better, apparently my low blood pressure is really low. Best take myself and ecg result to docs this week. And I ruined the wifes long run bugger…

mogrim

And I ruined the wifes long run bugger…

She’ll get over it 🙂

And hope it’s nothing too serious!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, what he said^^^

All the best mate.

surfer
    Free Member

Turn 55 in October and the last few years (well probably the last 10) have been absolutely injury plagued. I ran under 34 mins for 10k as a V40 and a PB of 32:30 at my best. Really motivated to have one last shot at competing, although my injury record indicates I will breakdown after about 3 weeks of “training” Anyway just thought I would mention it cos its now a “mini commitment” not that I need motivation, its the body that is weak.
    Anyway I may post the odd update 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Keep it going surfer, some of the guys at my club, older than you, are bloody inspirational.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dashed, that site is saying I should be hitting about 6.40m/m for 15 mins, about 6.05m/m for the 5 mins, obv somewhere in between for 10 mins.

I’ll aim for that.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Sceptical of some of these online calculators; according to one that uses vo2max stats (61) I should be running a 10k in 34 (not likely, more like 39) 5k in 17 (19). It could be that garmin has my vo2max way off I guess, though I’ve compared with other runners I know that also use garmin and their values are what I’d expect when comparing times

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbf, all that one is doing is converting a known running pace, and predicting times off of it. Far too many variables expecting that to be done from V02 max really.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

I’ve been relatively lazy running wise recently, only managing to do long slow mountain runs at the weekend, but not been backing it up with ‘training’ as such – have began to get pain in a knee after these which is unusual, just about subsides after a few days, so trying to rest a bit more. Have abandoned Aberdeen half marathon this weekend which would likely aggravate it.

A few photos from recent exploits, may have posted a couple of these before, can’t remember

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stunning, as ever Mike!

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m feeling somewhat better today cheers fellas

stumpy01

Some great pics up there eastcoastmike!

I’m 3 weeks into a 10 week training plan for the Great Eastern Run (Peterborough Half) in mid-October.
    I’m finding it OK so far – I found a plan on Runner’s World and am following that although struggling to know how hard to pace my runs – virtually all of them on the plan are described as ‘easy’ in terms of pace. But, it doesn’t seem right to not be putting a decent amount of effort in; so I’m kind of doing my own thing in that regard.
    This is the plan: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a776305/how-to-run-a-sub-2-hour-half-marathon/

First ever event of this distance, so I’m loosely aiming for a conservative time of 2hrs (5:40/km pace), but hoping for faster than that in reality. I should be OK to do 5:30/km, but we’ll see how it goes. I figure this one will get me a target to aim for going forward.

What are people using for drinking during training runs? I find I’m OK up to 10/12km, but over that I feel like I want a drink & I think I should get my body used to drinking while training.
    I was not sure whether to try one of those running belt pack things with a holster for a bottle, o just to get one of those running water bottles that have a hole in the middle to make it easier to hold?
    Any tips?

mogrim

I found a plan on Runner’s World and am following that although struggling to know how hard to pace my runs – virtually all of them on the plan are described as ‘easy’ in terms of pace. But, it doesn’t seem right to not be putting a decent amount of effort in; so I’m kind of doing my own thing in that regard.

Easy should be easy – as in you could hold a conversation while running. The intervals and/or tempo run are when you should be “putting a decent amount of effort in”. Although I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

What are people using for drinking during training runs? I find I’m OK up to 10/12km, but over that I feel like I want a drink & I think I should get my body used to drinking while training.
    I was not sure whether to try one of those running belt pack things with a holster for a bottle, o just to get one of those running water bottles that have a hole in the middle to make it easier to hold?

In winter I don’t carry anything for up to two hour runs, in summer I have a running belt which works OK.

stumpy01

mogrim

Easy should be easy – as in you could hold a conversation while running. The intervals and/or tempo run are when you should be “putting a decent amount of effort in”.

Cheers. That is what I thought it was, but the easy runs just seem a bit too easy in my head. I know that the extra miles over what I would otherwise be doing are beneficial, but I have been pushing a bit harder than ‘easy’, I think….we’ll see if it pays off or not in 7 weeks or so!

Yesterday’s run was supposed to be 8km with the middle 5 at half marathon pace (so around 5:30-5:40 pace, given my expectation) according to my plan.
    This felt way too easy for what was supposed to be an ‘effort’ run, so I ended up doing the 5km at something like 4:48/km average pace. My legs feel OK today, so I don’t feel like I pushed too hard. I think I’ll just play it be ear & see what happens! It’s all a learning curve.

I might look at getting a running belt; mainly just to get used to drinking while running…

firestarter
    Free Member

Feeling even more like myself today still just pouring fluids in work didnt help tbh lol.
    I use a belt called a naked running belt with a soft flask in you cant feel your wearing it, it’s the only one of many I can use

root-n-5th
    Free Member

That belt looks good. What sort of soft flask would you recommend? Do you take it out to drink or use a tube?

Spin
    Free Member

Blew up quite catastrophically today in the Ochils 2000. Combination of not feeling great all week, some niggles and the heat. Oh and the most brutal cramps ever. Felt fine and then boom! Never had quite such a dramatic crash. Managed to walk it in a mere 1hr 13mins or so slower than last year. At least I wasn’t the only one. 🙂

Going to see how I feel for the Ben race in 2 weeks then take an extended break. I’ve done that for the last few years to do some winter climbing but didn’t this year so I’ve been mostly full gas since last season with only a couple of weeks off in October. Time to refresh, smell the roses, drink a little beer and do some other stuff, maybe even ride a mountain bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beer? Na. 🤣

Hope you’re okay for the big Ben race mate. 🙏🏻

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers. I just suddenly realised how much and for how long I’ve been kicking the arse out it and that for the last few months I’ve generally been getting slower and slower and enjoying it less. Quite liberating to realise that and take a break!

Flaperon

Argh. Bought a pair of On Cloudflyers yesterday on the basis of numerous positive reviews. Seemed very comfortable in the shop. Ran 10k last night and both little toes shredded on the outside. Not just blistered, but the skin pretty much removed (no blood fortunately…)

I run 1500 miles or more a year and this has never happened with any other shoe. I think I’m unlikely to have any luck getting my money back from the shop now they’ve been worn, but before I bin them and go back to my cheap Nikes, can anyone think of a reason why this has happened?

I did have to bump up from size 9 to 9.5 because the 9 felt uncomfortably tight, but all that comes to mind is that it might be worth re-lacing to give a tighter toe box. Right now though I don’t want to try another run because I think it’ll end up in bloody feet.

Supposed to be walking in Snowdonia tomorrow, off to Boots shortly to see if they have anything to wrap around my toes. 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d contact them tbh, see what they say before I ditched them mate.

Flaperon

Well, thumbs up to Cotswold for refunding without question. Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

mogrim

I’ve got a pair of Adidas trail shoes that are similar, perhaps not quite so extreme but a short run will leave me with sore patches on both little toes. PITA, and as I got them in a closing down sale there is/was no way to change them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good result Flaperon.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Not that I’m an expert but I find a wide toe box is quite comfortable. Had some toenail issues but they were too long and now fine.

I’m quite enjoying this running now. Have built up slowly thanks to advice on here, and did my first 5K for a while on Saturday around the local park and roads. Got through it ok, knee didn’t hurt, slow time of 27:07 minutes but lots of dog dodging. Not concerned about going fast. Did a 4K in home town Market Harborough last week which included going up Burnmill Hill, Great Bowden side. Anyone on here know that? I used to call it “The Wall” when I was younger and has always been my challenge running and cycling. Got up it without stopping and recovered (just, phew) on the way down the Ridgeway. I couldn’t have done that a month ago!

Out for my 3.4K loop this morning and decided to up the ante a bit. Took 1:03 off my best, got records on Km, mile, 2 mile, 1/2 mile and a top ten Strava (out of 43) on ridge road hill. 4.52/km. Well chuffed! Not fast I know, but I feel it is coming together a bit now and I’m able to judge a run better. My goal of a 25 minute Park Run doesn’t seem so far off now, but will be tough.

Thanks all for an inspiring thread – I’ve got a long way to go but reading the exploits on here is great.

firestarter
    Free Member

Root sorry for late reply I use salamon flasks as I use them in my vest too .

They are made by hydrapak and have a better than lifetime warranty (not sure what that is tbh), I had one split on my ultra as one of the drinks station guys tried pulling it out and it split as he was too rough. I emailed them and told them they asked for a pic and the serial number and I had a new one I thr post a few days later, top service

bob_summers

Well done everyone, some inspiring stuff indeed. I’ve been absent from the thread but keeping up the running. Over in the UK I did three fells races, Rydal Round (on the hottest day evah), Kentmere and Turner Landscape and exceeded my expectations – finished all, didn’t come last but all back-half finishes. Also did a couple of evening social runs with the club.
    My descending is infuriating me, it’s so bad. I generally climb well for being 6kg over my cycling race weight, but the runners I’m climbing with will put 10 mins into me on a long descent. The group I arrived on top of Fairfield with finished about 20 mins before me. I think I’m getting better at descending Spanish rock, but tussocky Lakes fellside with its hidden ankle twisting holes and stones will always have me beat.
    Coming back to Spain was minging (local fiestas) so escaped solo to the Basque Pyrenees, knocking up 50km and 3000m climbing over the three days which was enough for me – how people can do that in a day is mind boggling. The last day was a run up from Linza refuge to the highest Basque peak, Hiru Erregeen Mahaia, 2440m. The first 8km hard but mostly runnable. The final ascent was a scramble up and around a rock chimney, very grippy and straightforward. Except I’m terrified of heights. Tried two ways up, lost my bottle, and turned around to run back down. Couple of young lads appeared and convinced me to get up there, comedy moment at the top when they asked me to take their photo and saw how much I was shaking! Proper knocking knees, couldn’t let go of the summit cairn. Getting back off that took a while too, but the descent all nicely runnable with a couple of stops to look for spring water.

Should’ve photoshopped out my erections before tweeting that…

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.