The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 3,299 total)
  • The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • First 10k? start slow, don’t get carried away with what others are doing, it’s better IMO to start slow and get faster than to go too fast and die a thousand deaths trying to maintain it.

Enjoy.

Too hot at the track sesh last night, supposed to be 10×500, 7 was enough. Legs were heavy after an awesome group hill run up the locals on wednesday night, amazing night for it!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gm46Hm]Kaim[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gm46Fc]Kaim[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gm4ruj]Kaim[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

mogrim

I’m running my first 10k on Sunday am. Any tips? Relatively new to running and been through c25k this spring. Done 8 k before but not pushed to 10k. What about eating Sunday am? Event is at 9!

What shortbread_fanylion says – eat a normal breakfast at least two hours before the event, and take a bottle of water along beforehand to make sure you’re properly hydrated if it’s hot.

My tips:
    – Check the timetable for when you need to get there to sort out the race bib etc.
    – Take toilet paper along if you’re planning on using the race toilets 🙂
    – if it’s going to be hot&humid or wet apply vaseline to your nipples.
    – don’t get too caught up in the start, try and pace yourself a bit
    – if there’s water on offer at the 5km mark drink some if you’re thirsty, but for a 10K you’re unlikely to really need it.
    – enjoy yourself 🙂

dashed

My only experience of running a 10k race was that I ate too much and had a stitch until about 7k! I had a big bowl of porridge about 06:30 and the race started at 10 or 10:30 and I felt bloated all the way around. 2hrs wouldn’t be enough time to digest a normal breakfast for me – I had muesli, yoghurt and some fruit about 06:45 this morning and no way I’d be ready to do a 10k now (at 0935!).

trail_rat

Well this weekend is the lairig ghru.

Anyone else from here going ?

Suddenly I don’t feel as ready as I did. Mostly due to an injury from old shoes – (I think) – they had done 600k and then I did a 10k race in them and never really got over it.

My trail shoes are 5 runs old so nicely broken in but I can’t help feeling had this race been in may I’d have been ready.

As was I’ve not run in any capacity really since the 10k. Which was June 9th.

So fight for the cut off then settle into my own race is the plan.

Feed , fuel and ignore is the plan.

You’ll be fine mate, it’s just the fear kicking in!

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I’m running my first 10k on Sunday am. Any tips?

2 options.
    1. Do what I do which is think you can hold on to 10 seconds per mile off 5k pace for twice the distance, get to 6k, crash heavily, crawl home, nearly cry as you cross then finish line. You then vow never to run a 10k again and wonder why your times are crap at that distance.
    2. Start slower than you think you should, a good 1 minute per mile slower than 5k pace and than push on in the second half. Still aim to finish on your hands and knees, but with a good negative split.

Your call.

Spin

Spin, were you looking after Jamie last weekend on the RR? After duty at the West Highland Way race

Yes, I did the first leg with her then joined them for the last two hills on the Mamores. Great effort from her to come in at 23:51.

Sorry to have missed that part of the weekend but after nearly 60 hours straight on duty, I was beat. Top effort all round, both by Jamie Aarons herself and the crew; must be some great memories there.
    At the ‘training and inspiration night’ in Stirling last winter, Jamie presented an excellent talk on the dangers of rhabdomyolysis for ultra runners. For anyone interested in doing long distance events, the YouTube content is well worth looking up. It’s sliced up into several sections under various titles around West Highland Way race 2019. We had another fairly significant rhabdo case at the WHW race last weekend; yet again, it was an experienced runner with previous finishes. I’m just waiting to get a promised report to post on the race FB pages, to help folk identify this when it begins to take hold.

Spin

She was telling me her rhabdo story on the way up the Ben. We had a right good gas on that first leg! I really enjoyed supporting a successful round and great to see someone giving it that kind of effort.

Premier Icon burko73
    Subscriber

cheers for the advice. think ill start slow and use the hr monitor to keep the effort down. its a bit of a hilly one so not looking forward to those bits. will lay off the booze sat eve and get up and have some brekky early. worried about my shins holding out more than my fitness.

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

Barrathon start.
    Up in Barra;this year’s Island half, this pic probably isn’t displayed, but it shows the start from my hostel

2019-06-29_09-29-43

Terry; you will be fine, it isn’t as if you can quit half way and get picked up!

trail_rat

I could miss the bus home though 🙂

running Bags packed. Nutrition strategy sorted by torq.

Finish line bag packed if I get time for a scrub before the bus.

Kit bags packed for the morning.

Only thing left to do is get my self up to braemar.

Last time I was worried about my ability in a race was my first 24 solo …..and that was about 2006.

Hopefully the adventure show and meant a bunch of other dreamers have turned up 🙂

dashed

Good luck TR!

21st overall in a parkrun this morning – pretty chuffed with that 🙂 Bloody humid though and hard work

Best of luck Terry and Stuart!

trail_rat

I’m camped out above braemar on the side of glenshee in the bus.

It’s dinging it down and thunder and lightening ……. Going to be moist underfoot / high water immorn – there’s flood warnings out localy.

Anything I can do to preserve my wet feet ….I have a co-op at my disposal.

I think just go with the wet feet. I’ve always found that my feet feel best in wet trainers. 😀 In the dry they just swell up and the trainers don’t play ball with them. Best of luck anyway. I’m sure you’ll do well.

trail_rat

Finished. 5hr 20.

On reflection Went too hard for the first 30k but im not sure running slower would have helped. I pretty much ran well till I got to 35k which is my max training distance. The last 8k was a fight. Ran 5:15-5:45s into the boulder field through the boulder field at 14/km then down the other side was 8min/Kms which really hurt. The relentless downhill was brutal.

Got about 6blisters on the soles of my feet. Socks got wet crossing the lui burn

And I’m going to lose 2 toenails at least on my left foot…..one of which hasn’t fully grown back from last time haha

Premier Icon burko73
    Subscriber

managed my 10k today. first one ever and all good and could have kept going at the end. no records broken but managed it in 1hr17m despite over 220 m of climbing which was also a bit new to me (not many hills where I live…)

Well done burko. Great effort!!

trail_rat

Anyone got the part number for new knees.

Mine appear to have been smashed by thors hammer.

I guess 20k of relentless downhill will do that.

lol!

Never mind the knees, lost toenails are a badge of honour!

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

I guess 20k of relentless downhill will do that.

That descent looks like it was hard work given your pace compared to the climb 😮

Well done!

johndoh

I also completed a 10k on Sunday (despite a big BBQ and beer session on Saturday LOL). Managed 58 minutes on a hilly course around Harrogate (approx 250ft of climbing so not as hilly as Burko’s). Managed the whole distance in my peak HR zone averaging at 158 bpm (52 years old) and maxed out at 177 in the final very steep 1k. I feel remarkably sprightly today 🙂

dashed

Curious on the HR / speed thing. I pushed really hard on a parkrun on Saturday and i was dying on the last 2k but I was mainly in zone 3 (74% of the time), only 3% in zone 4 and nothing in zone 5. My legs felt strong but I was blowing like a train. It doesn’t seem to add up to me??

whitestone

@dashed – sounds more like your lungs are your limiting factor than your heart. Also depends on how accustomed you are to pushing hard (apologies if you have posted earlier in the thread). I find it easier to get my HR into the upper zones when running than when cycling and this is fairly typical as you have to support your weight as well as move forward whereas the bike supports your weight.

will

Spin – Sounds like you were doing the RR with a few guys from Westies? Ally, Joe, Alex…

TR – Very good work on what sounded like a tough day out.

Arrochar Alps Race (15.5 miles & 8,000ft climbing) for me on Saturday, which to be honest, was awesome. Felt great on all the climbs, despite thick clag made no nav errors (unlike Finlay! who was 20 seconds off the record) and even descended ok. Well, until the final section, where at 2 miles to go, coming through the trees where I went over on my ankle twice. This resulted in a small cry and a hobble to the finish. Total time 4:01…

A&E on Sunday with a suspected broken ankle, thankfully turned out to just be very sprained. Doc said 6 weeks no running. So that’s less than ideal.

Still 19th in a Scottish Champs race i’m pretty happy with.

dashed

@whitestone – maybe it was a bit of an anomaly as it was my PB for 5k and I was pushing really hard. Felt pretty brutal at times 😉 So I was surprised to see such a low HR for the event. Really humid and hot morning though, so I wonder whether that had an impact on how hard I was breathing and how hard it felt. If I contrast it to the Hope Fell race I did earlier in the week, I was 26% in zone 3, 38% in zone 4 and 18% in zone 5.

Does make me think that if I can do a 5k PB whilst mainly in zone 3 that I’ve got a much faster time in me 😉

dashed

Just been looking back over my very limited number of parkruns and generally I’m mainly in the zone 3 to 4 area with nothing in zone 5. Also, the garmin app is telling me it’s all aerobic effort and virtually zero anearobic.

If I look at my longer fell runs the spread is much wider with more in Z5.

I’m not sure what it means other than possibly I’m not warming up properly (at all!?) for a 5k parkrun? I can;t help but feel that if I can run a 5k without getting into zone 5 then there’s a lot more to go at – I just don’t know how to get at it!??

Spin

Spin – Sounds like you were doing the RR with a few guys from Westies? Ally, Joe, Alex…

Aye, they did leg three which I joined them on for the last 10k or so.

Dashed, are you using a chest hr strap? Optic wrist hr sensors are notoriously fickle.

Will, awesome running mate. 💪🏻

dashed

Just optical wrist sensor – but the same sensor for all activities, so if it was miles out on a 5k, surely it’d be miles out on a 10k?

Well done TR, Will, Dashed, Burko, Johndoe
    I managed to make it along to a park run, a bit disappointed with a 19’32 on a day of good conditions (perhaps a bit hot). Not sure about zones but 140-160bpm which I imagine is mostly z4 with a bit of z5 towards the end. The only warm up I really do is cycle a few miles there at a brisk pace.

Spin

@whitestone re the PB you mentioned something about Pont Cae Gors being open and someone else said something to me about access issues there.

Do you know anything else about that? Is it just a case of going round up the hill side if the track is closed?

Ta.

Just optical wrist sensor – but the same sensor for all activities, so if it was miles out on a 5k, surely it’d be miles out on a 10k?

Na, their shit, I only use it for RHR, and a chest strap for running and biking.

Another hill race last night, stunning evening in the Kilpatrick hills (lots of really enticing looking singletrack btw!).

Beginning to become apparent I’m enjoying them too much, I need to bury myself more and not just get into my comfort zone on the climbs.

Finishing with loads in the tank, it’s not right. My descending is getting better, but I still need to keep improving.

You sound like me, Nobeer. Except I’m not getting better on the downs. No problem burying myself on a big climb on the bike, but wary of doing so running, don’t know why. A 20 min cycling climb I’ll do at 185bpm, the same on foot and I’ll start backing off when I get over 160.

Well, in under 24 hours, I’ll be on the bus to the start line for this:

Weather is set fair – no higher than 20degC – not too windy. “Mandatory” kit just about fits in the running vest, thank **** I went for a 12litre pack!

It’ll be the furthest I’ve ever run. Hopefully the work we’ve put in will help us through. Running it as a trio so won’t be “racing”. That’ll be hard for me as despite possessing little ability, I’m generally pushing as hard as I can – more against myself than others. Really looking forward to that beer at the finish.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

What race is that DD? Sometimes running to other peoples pace can be quite hard, even if it’s much slower than you would be going when racing. Bizarrely I find myself more tired after a 12 mile easy run home from work than if I cane it 😮

I have the Highgate Night of the 10,000m PBs tomorrow afternoon. I’m in the E race, which is being paced to 30:30, a minute faster than my PB, so it’ll be an attempt not to get lapped!

What race is that DD?

It’s ManVsCoast turbo. It’s a Rat Race event – one of my training partners is doing it to raise a few quid for BHF – he lost his dad earlier this year. I know what you mean about running to others’ pace. Thing is, I finished nearly 40min ahead of them in the three peaks race we did, which was 16.5m. So, I know I’m going to have to hold myself back a bit. But, look, they’re mates and I coach* them every week. And sometimes, some things are more important than getting your best place. (Well, that’s what everyone else tells me and I’ve just about come round to it 😔 ) I think they’d be gutted if I just set off at the beginning and left them. One has a knee that’ll go and the other has a calf that’ll go too. 🤪 I’ll just have to enjoy the scenery.

*When I say “coach”, I mean that it’s me that sets the sessions for our early morning weekday outings and paces intervals etc. The weekends are left up to us as individuals.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 3,299 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.