Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 7,706 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, couple of our club guys doing it, warm day for it today!.

Maybe one day.

Spin
    Free Member

When I left at 50 miles the winner had crossed the line.
    Just incredible.

The woman I supported on the Ramsay Round said something similar. At the time Jasmine Paris had finished her round she still had 7hrs to go!

Spin
    Free Member

Superb, that sort of stuff fries my brain, phenomenal.

It was a really interesting thing to be involved with. I did my RR solo with 2 static support points so didn’t have much insight into what it took to give effective support to someone. Our aspirant came in with 9 minutes to spare and that could easily have been lost with some sub optimal decisions by the support.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s pressure!.

Spin
    Free Member

That’s pressure!

The thing with these rounds is that the call goes out for support and all manner of people volunteer for all manner of reasons but what an aspirant needs is people with local knowledge and good hill skills.

mrsheen
    Free Member

8 weeks to get from low activity to capable of run/walking a 50 miler. Long days in the hills? I’ve no expectations of a decent time.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mrsheen – just time on your feet really. If the 50 miler is hilly then get some hills in your training otherwise you’ll suffer.

Spin
    Free Member

What’s the event Mrsheen?

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks @whitestone.

@Spin- it’s the Bullock smithy hike. I’ve done it before but work has left me knackered this year.

Spin
    Free Member

If you’ve done it before 8 weeks should be enough time.

firestarter
    Free Member

Did my first ultra yesterday 32 miles with 4500ft of climbing, really enjoyed it and feel amazingly fresh today, took a wrong turn so added a bit extra on doh.. and it had to be on a hill lol. First time I’d been over 24 miles so very pleased indeed time of 6hr50

bikebouy
    Free Member

Some epic stories here 👍👍

Just a simple Shipwrights Way jack for me today, 22k down hill (not quite, but was heading to the coast)

Mrs picked me up just outside of QECP, said I looked “tired” didn’t feel it.. it was harder than I expected though.

Odd today, the car said 22C yet it felt cold running 🤷‍♂️

I’m in the pub sipping a pint now and my legs are feeling ok, just.

Spin
    Free Member

Has anyone on here done a Paddy Buckley or have much knowledge of the route? I’m thinking about having a go at the start of August.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done firestarter!

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I managed my little milestone on Saturday (although nothing like as impressive as some recent posts on here) – managed to go <24 minutes at the ParkRun with an official 23.57 (although Strava timed it at 23.48). Well chuffed 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff sir!.

I’m for a go at the sub 20 next saturday, we have a local parkrun that’s not really a parkrun at all, it’s on a pancake flat promenade along Troon beachfront, as long as it’s not too windy it’s a quick one.

There’s a young lad there who’s 13 and goes sub 18 pretty much every week, inpressive stuff!.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Spin – I’ve done bits of it and supported a couple of attempts and had one attempt myself. We used to live near Llanberis so walked/ran quite a lot in the area.

Nav wise I’d say the hardest bits (assuming you are going clockwise) are: getting on to Moel Hebog; getting off Y Garn down to Pont Cae Gors and up on to Craig Wen (depends on PCG being occupied/in use); the descent off Moel Eilio into Llanberis and then the route up through the quarries onto Elidir Fach and Fawr. Then it’s working out which of all the bumps and outcrops on the ridge from Moel Siabod is one of the required summits.

Getting onto and off Bwlch y Ddwy Elor is very rough, there might be a track these days but when I made my attempt it was chest high bracken hiding fridge sized boulders!

johndoh
    Free Member

There’s a young lad there who’s 13 and goes sub 18 pretty much every week

Yeah I occasionally get passed by kids of that age (and younger). Massively impressive.

bob_summers

Off camping today with the boy so it’ll be an enforced week’s rest. My hip needs it, did 10k in the hills yesterday and walked most. Rubbish. Whatever fitness I’ve built up is steadily going down the pan over the last month or so, need to get it sorted.
    Flights booked to the UK so planning my first ever fell racing season 😉
    Wondering if any of you lot are doing these: Rydal Round
    Kentmere
    Turner Landscape
    Steel Fell
    Would be good to put faces to names if so.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bob, I’d love to do a proper Lakeland fell race this year, keep yer plans up here!.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers nobeer

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks for that Whitestone, I’ll look at it with a map in front of me later.

bob_summers

Bob, I’d love to do a proper Lakeland fell race this year, keep yer plans up here!.

Will do, if I can fix this hip. Was supposed to do the Anniversary Waltz at Easter but had a ‘mare with the hire car and missed it. So still to pop my cherry.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Had a holiday in cumbria a fortnight ago, awesome place for trail running but managed to go over my ankle badly, nonetheless recovered sufficiently to have a pop at the Ythan challenge trail run last weekend (so called because you have to wade across the river Ythan up to chest deep) was 7th last year.. and 7th again this time in a time 15s faster, all told happy enough with that

johndoh
    Free Member

Just entered Harrogate 10k on Sunday – it will be the longest I have run since I got a bad injury (on the road from where some of this event takes place) over two years ago. And the sun will be shining 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Quite getting into these fell races after doing my first a couple of weeks back! Shrigley Stag on Saturday in very warm weather – was about 10k and reasonably hilly – wanted to get under an hour and did 54mins which is only a couple of minutes slower than my best 10k road time (not that there’s many to compare to!).
    Hope Wakes last night but totally screwed up the start! It was better organised than the previous 2 races I’d done – proper dibbers and lots of very serious folk around and I got quite intimidated so started at the back. I ended up in traffic on all the narrow sections where passing folk was hard. I doubt it made a huge difference to my time, but I did leave feeling I could have been much higher up the results table…

dashed
    Free Member

On a separate note – eating strategy for Park Runs?? Even having breakfast about 6:30 still feels like I’ve a load of porridge / muesli slopping around when I start at 9am. I generally don’t eat if I’m running early but is that a good strategy for going quick?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t bother for parkrun, mibbe a banana and a coffee, I’ve enough fuel to do 5k I reckon!.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have never eaten before a ParkRun. I usually get up at about 8.15, get dressed, feed the dog then head off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coffee has to be at least an hour beforehand, to get the mouse over the counter before it causes any bother!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need fuel for 5k. Cup of coffee should be fine.

lunge

eating strategy for Park Runs

Don’t, I never do.
    I guess if you must then maybe a cereal/energy bar 45 minutes before would be fine. But for 5k you’re fine doing it on empty.

dashed
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks folks. I definitely like to be up in enough time to lighten the load before running though. No one needs a “Paula” on a parkrun…

turboferret

I’m planning on setting a Guinness World Record as the fastest 5km with a pram on 29th July. Not hard as there isn’t one currently listed on their website 😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Beware Guinness and their rules……you may have seen a bit of a furore a few months ago after my sister’s attempt to break the marathon record in a nurses uniform was ruled out, as she wasn’t dressed as a 1930’s nurse. Subsequently ruled ok after social media got into it!

So make sure your pram isn’t anything modern and fancy. Probably be a minimum weight for your baby too 😂

turboferret

I am aware that there are some potential pitfalls, like the woman who ran a marathon wearing about 100 T-shirts but wasn’t fast enough. Pram is pretty old-school and my son is about 16kg, so no worries on those fronts. I have actually been offered the loan of a lighter child if I wanted, but on a flat course weight shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I doubt my intended time of around 16:30 will stand for long as the current records for 10k and half marathon are fairly punchy even for running unimpeded!

highlandman
    Free Member

Spin, were you looking after Jamie last weekend on the RR? After duty at the West Highland Way race, I was asleep in the Premier on Sunday afternoon when she arrived and joined the beer garden, post-race party so didn’t get to catch up with how it had gone.

alanf
    Free Member

@turboferret – I reckon you have a sub 16 in you for this, keep the heavier child for momentum I reckon…

burko73

I’m running my first 10k on Sunday am. Any tips? Relatively new to running and been through c25k this spring. Done 8 k before but not pushed to 10k. What about eating Sunday am? Event is at 9!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have brekkie around 7am. Normal stuff. Leaves plenty of time for a dump. As for event just pace it, you can always speed up. Harder if you go out too hard!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 7,706 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.