• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I went to the local running shop yesterday and picked up a pair of shoes then finally made it out for my first run this morning.
    The rather worrying thing is that I actually enjoyed it 😯

Luckily for me I have miles of trails and bridleways about two minutes from my front door so I managed to get out for 20 minutes or so without seeing another person and basically just running (slowly) around the edge of a forest!

Not sure that it’s normal for my legs to ache so much after a 2 mile run though, they don’t feel this bad after 3 or 4 hours on the bike 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I can understand why a lot of people like them – the heel height isn’t dissimilar to “normal” running shoes which is what a lot of people start running in and get used to. I was one of them, and back when I first bought trail shoes I’d have thought they were great. It’s just that since then I became predominantly an off road runner and spent many years running in shoes with a low heel drop (it was strange when I first used those) – though a low, narrow heel is definitively better for running on technical terrain (ie proper off piste rather than trails – I’ve done a lot of that).

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting risk perception about this. Of course not all off road is the same, but I’ve seen similar comments about running alone in places where you’re certainly far less likely to encounter somebody dangerous than you are running around town – and TBH such people don’t tend to frequent any off road places. Unless I’m misinterpreting your reasons for not doing so alone – though I struggle to think what other reason there might be?

aracer
    Free Member

If it’s your first run, it’s perfectly normal – it would be surprising if they didn’t. I remember back when I was at uni deciding to go for a run (having not really run properly for a year or so, and only then just what you did at school), except I went for a 7 mile run, which felt fine at the time, I was pretty fit from cycling and kayaking. The next morning I had a lot of trouble with stairs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry if asked already – I normally spend the week doing interval stuff, jog/walk, run, run fast, sprint etc mixed up – 45-60 minute durations. I love doing interval stuff -keeps it interesting and I always “feel” like I’ve got a nice workout in a relatively short period of exercise.

I notice a lot of training programmes specifying a “long” (perhaps at a slower than normal pace) run at the weekend. I’m happy to do this but can someone explain what benefits the long slowish run gives? Is it just a stamina improving thing? Or link me to an article which explains it?

whitestone
    Free Member

Running’s great for getting a quick bit of exercise with very little faff.

Get home from work and I’d be out within five minutes whatever time of year (good modern headtorches are great for night running). We’re out in the countryside and there’s paths and bridleways from the door plus it’s pretty hilly so can do lots of different workouts. Forty minutes to an hour later, get back, dunk shoes in a bucket of water to get rid of most of the mud, clothes on to washing pile, have a bath and I’m almost done. Just need to bring the shoes in from outside, stuff with paper and put in the airing cupboard to dry off.

duckman

DD; builds stamina and gets your legs used to distance.

duckman

Double post

matt_outandabout

Properly chuffed. First ever non-stop 5k+ (apart from cheery hello to a friend…) 8)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1349996359

If this tubster can…you can.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Long run is important if you want to build up to a long(er than you usually run) event like a half marathon and especially a full marathon. But no need if you are just running around for fun and fitness and maybe doing the occasional 5 or 10k.

Alex

Keep checking back here from the Physio’s couch 🙂 Some good stuff going on and interesting discussions about stuff I knew nothing about!

@matt – nice one- that’s how I started, next thing I know I was training for a half marathon. Progression is way faster than riding…

Pieface

Currently out of action due to a groin injury, slowly getting better.

No real plans other than to return to fitness (50+ miles per week) support someone’s Bob Graham attempt, maybe do some Paddy Buckley reccies but mostly to spend more big days in the mountains.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just heading home to run around QECP.. might be dark when I get there and hopefully very few folks..

emsz
    Free Member

Interesting risk perception about this

hi aracer, yeah I know what you mean, really I’m more likely to meet dodgy people in town. But. At least I’d have a chance, ‘cos you can bet I’m going to scream and kick and fight. In a wood, with no one around, it doesn’t matter at all how much noise I make. I’m never going to win a fight with anyone, if someone doesn’t come and help, then it’s all over. Hence never alone where I can’t be seen or heard.

mogrim

matt_outandabout – Member
    Properly chuffed. First ever non-stop 5k+ (apart from cheery hello to a friend…)

Congratulations! Parkrun time?

matt_outandabout

What is parkrun?

aracer
    Free Member

er, you do know how to find things out on the internet?

thecaptain
    Free Member

But be careful with the capitalisation. You wouldn’t want to end up at Parkrun by mistake when you really wanted parkrun. Or vice versa.

Spin
    Free Member

Got me Glen Coe Skyline entry in. Just need to wait for the ballot, if they get more than suitable 300 applicants.

matt_outandabout

er, you do know how to find things out on the internet

😉

I’m not sure I’m into comparing myself with others. One of my friends runs at twice or three times my pace – when she’s training! My battle is with me and motivation. Comparing can only lead to demotivation for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Parkrun isn’t really like that Matt, ones I’ve done anyway, real nice grass roots feel, Marshalls really encourage you, as do other runners, particularly the fast ones when they lap you!.

The only comparison you’ll use is your own times and seeing them come down. It’s brilliant, and trust me, I ain’t no runner!

aracer
    Free Member

I’m kind of disappointed matt, because the correct answer to my question is “ask on STW” 😉

Though you could always do:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/search.php?q=parkrun

alanf
    Free Member

My battle is with me and motivation. Comparing can only lead to demotivation for me.

Don’t use it to compare with others. Use it as a benchmark for yourself.

lunge

Parkrun isn’t really like that Matt, ones I’ve done anyway, real nice grass roots feel, Marshalls really encourage you, as do other runners, particularly the fast ones when they lap you!.

The only comparison you’ll use is your own times and seeing them come down. It’s brilliant, and trust me, I ain’t no runner!

Completely this, Parkrun is awesome and a lovely little motivator. Very, very positive event, all shapes and sizes, ages and sexes, no-one feels left out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Your nearest event is Plean Matt, 0930 on a saturday morning, let us know how you get on! 😉

lunge

Go on Matt, have a go! The one I go to has such a range of times, fastest guys are normally around the 16 minute mark, slowest nearly 45. Because of that, unless you’re either really fast or really slow you are guaranteed a mid-pack finish. My 65 year old mothers goes every week and does 38-40 or so minutes and has never once worried about finishing last.

mogrim

Seeing as I suggested it, I should add another +1 to the great atmosphere at the one and only Parkrun I’ve done. A massive range of abilities and a great set of volunteers, there’s no way you’d feel left out. And it’s free!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And it’s free!

Even better than that, our local park does a kids 2k parkrun on a sunday, with free entry to either the swimming pool for 90 mins afterward for kids that run, or free 90 minute session at the local tennis club. 😀

mogrim

Got me Glen Coe Skyline entry in. Just need to wait for the ballot, if they get more than suitable 300 applicants.

That was sort of on my list as a possible for next year, too… Might have a quick google in a second. How many people are usually in the ballot?

Spin
    Free Member

That was sort of on my list as a possible for next year, too… Might have a quick google in a second. How many people are usually in the ballot?

I don’t think they’ve had to go to ballot yet. Entries are vetted for experience and capped at 300 but I don’t think they’ve had 300 entrants with suitable experience yet. Could be wrong though. Certainly everyone I knew got a place last year.

The Ring of Steall Race is not vetted and is first come first served, I think they cap that at 600 or 650.

djambo
    Free Member

nice little run today (7km) around the local footpaths and bridal ways.

it was muddy as hell (still need to get those trail running shoes mentioned earlier in the thread) but I enjoyed it. it was the first time since the christmas bingeing that it hasn’t seemed like a real slog the whole way round. for the vast majority i was cruising at a steady pace nicely enjoying the scenery 🙂

wallop

Is anyone using Strava on their Apple Watch with any success? I’d like to see distance and pace if possible without having to dig my phone out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No running today, dead leg from a challenge at another 5 a sides comeback last night.

Will I ever learn…. :mrgreen:

ajf
    Free Member

So good luck to Marcus tomorrow (and the day after, and the day after etc) running the Spine race.

If anyone wants to dot watch him

http://live.thespinerace.com/

Assuming race number 155?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Decent 22k QECP/Head Down rattle today, grey and mulchy.. super nice hard run 😀

And for all those Sal SpeedX3 haters, well plenty get the thumbs up with the folks I run with..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Petal Nightrunner at Rivi tonight. Great fun!

matt_outandabout

Question: how do I pace myself better?

Today’s run felt fast yet easy. I ran without stop a route I walk/ran a week back.

However I’ve only taken a minute off last week’s time.

The simple answer is ‘just push harder’, but I find that means I go back to run/walking…

Mtfu or other techniques?

MrPottatoHead

Nothing wrong with pushing harder and run/walking. Basically what you’re describing is interval training which will get you faster, if thats your goal.

Spin
    Free Member

If you find it difficult to pace by feel then try a hear rate monitor.

matt_outandabout

interval training which will get you faster, if thats your goal.

My goal is to lose weight and look more buffsome.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.