The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

Viewing 40 posts - 2,121 through 2,160 (of 2,843 total)
  • The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • I find Asics fairly wide, I’d imagine H will be a bit wider matey.

Arse, struggling to find them in my size…

EDIT: Apparently the H stands for “Half” 😆

I mean, why write 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5 etc when you can confuse people…

That’s madness! 😂

toby1

8 and 8H

The H would be a width measurement I suspect (with H being pretty wide! So depends if you have wide flippers like me or not DD!

Apparently I was on the wrong page thinking there were no replies to this. D-, must try harder!

trail_rat

https://www.facebook.com/Bennachieultra/

Local local worth watching its going to be an entertaining route as you cannot have a non technical route up there.

I’m going to file it under *how much did the lairig ghru race hurt*

You reckon? I thought it was a width thing too – happy to be corrected. The nearest I could find was something from ASICS US saying the H was for Half.

If you look at the size availability on either their main U.K. site or on the outlet site, the listings just go …7, 7H, 8, 8H, 9, 9H etc. Surely if H was a width measurement, it would include ½ sizes ie 7, 7H, 7.5, 7.5H etc? All the shoe companies do ½ sizes.

mogrim

From a quick google Asics widths go up to E, not H. https://www.asics.com/es/es-es/shoe-width-guide/

https://www.yellowc.es/es/guia-de-tallas.html says it’s a half size as you say DD, but it’s not an official Asics page so no idea if it’s correct or not.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Back on the treadmill today after a skiing tumble at NY and sore ribs since.
    A pleasing 9k without any obvious twinges yet. Hopefully get to 50k in Feb 🏃‍♂️

Good stuff ots.

mogrim

Back on the treadmill today after a skiing tumble at NY and sore ribs since.
    A pleasing 9k without any obvious twinges yet. Hopefully get to 50k in Feb

Kudos to you if you manage to do 50k on the treadmill, I get bored after 10 😀

Any other n00bs around to reassure me that this constant pain will eventually stop?! Pain’s maybe a too strong a word, but I am three months in and there seems to be very little in the way of DOMS, and a lot of uncomfortable niggles – sore ankles, knees, feet, dead legs. Doesn’t help being repeatedly told by lazy friends/colleagues “ooh, recipe for disaster, running at your age, you’ll get shin splints, etc” has made me hypochondriac! Currently self-diagnosed plantar fasciitis, hurts to put weight on my foot, though it’s probably a bruised instep from descending rock gardens on Sunday. On top of not being able to bend my right knee fully, pain at top of calf muscle (from not warming up before climbing according to the physio). Running about 50-65km a week, mainly mountain & hill trails.

I read somewhere it can take a year for the various mechanics to sort themselves out, is that right?

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Thanks guys – I stick on the headphones, open the audiobook and then just crank out the ks. It works for me, but I know it’s not for everyone. Bizarrely, I can’t stand more than 2 mins on a turbo trainer. 🙂

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

@bob_summers, I can offer no reassurance at all, sorry!

Every runner I know has an almost constant niggle somewhere, sometimes it’s a bit worse than niggle but it’s always something. I’m currently nursing a sore knee and a sore Achilles. Both stop aching after about a mile of running, both then ache for 24 hours after said run. This is combined with the constant ache of fatigue that comes from a heavy week last week.

A (very good running) physio once said to me that, on a scale of 1-10, if the pain is 5 or below then ignore it, if it’s 6 or 7 then slow down and/or drop the mileage a touch, 8+ then stop. This is added to the old adage that if it hurts on 1 leg then it’s an injury, if it hurts on both then it’s fine.

Doesn’t help being repeatedly told by lazy friends/colleagues “ooh, recipe for disaster, running at your age, you’ll get shin splints, etc”

Aye, there seems to be an awful lot running experts/doom merchants around, they’ve generally never really done any running…..

j4mesj4mes

I’ve not been running for a few months due to injury, (previously 2 5ks a week) although kept up biking and football once a week. To start running again, do I need to restart the 10% rule from nothing again to avoid injury?

Somehow I can’t imagine Kilian Jornet hobbling around the house struggling to get his trousers on like I am!

This is added to the old adage that if it hurts on 1 leg then it’s an injury, if it hurts on both then it’s fine.

This has kept me going tbh. They don’t often hurt simultaneously but it’s a couple of days on the right knee, then later the left, which tells me it’s just adaptation and not a serious issue

toby1

Doesn’t help being repeatedly told by lazy friends/colleagues “ooh, recipe for disaster, running at your age, you’ll get shin splints, etc”

Went to see the Banff film festival (Blue track I think) the other day, there was a guy who was 97 still running, he started at 49! He was amazing, he set the oldest person to complete a mountain race in the US and has been upping the record each year since!

trail_rat

I’ve watched alot of people transition into running and triathlon in later life. With great success.

Usually they have been good at a different sport in their youth.

Training for sport is training for sport. Be it rowing 1k or running 50k.

Dedication and work ethic doesn’t leave you. Plus your pathways are developed – that’s the bit that takes real time. Actual muscle development is relatively quick.

hooli

I’ve been watching this thread for a while but haven’t added anything due to an ongoing back injury. I think that is now behind me – see what I did there? No, never mind, I’ll see myself out 😀

Anyway I am planning on building up my running distances this year, I am a relatively new runner but did manage a few hundred miles in 2016/7 with regular park runs and 2 x shortish lunchtime runs per week with a colleague.

The running was always to build fitness for cycling and keep the weight down but I am going to aim for a half marathon in the autumn and I would like to get off-road and do more trail running.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

Biggest ever week just gone of 125 miles – never been close before, but realised that if I keep up my run commute of half-way in and all the way home every day, something on Saturday, and a long run on Sunday, that over 100 miles a week is very easily accomplished. Just need to keep it up regularly for the next 10 weeks until London 🙂

define “easily” 😀

Looks like someone local to me is selling a pair of unworn Speedcross for £30. Woo. It’s a lady (big feet!!) so even if they’re a little bit worn, it’ll feel quite sexy. 😀

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

Currently have a stinker of a chest infection and am substituting running for cake.

No sniffing now Darcy…..

alanf

Great effort TF!

I’m in the 70-80 mpw zone at the moment and I’m feeling OK, but I don’t think I’d want to push up towards a ton or beyond.
    Happy with the current state of play and I’m dropping time on shorter distances so just hoping I can maintain my form until London and then see how it pans out.
    I’m also hoping it’s not going to be high temps like last year, although I’m sure that wont bother you given how you performed before 🙂

Turboferret posts are always a mix of inspirational and totally depressing. Amazing work as usual, will be keeping a close eye on your London performance!

Anyway – nice surprise for me today. MiniMonkey was born a couple of weeks ago, and lack of sleep and time due to supporting MrsMonkey breastfeeding has meant I’ve not been out since before that. Despite a rather sporadic night’s sleep (MiniMonkey and I watched Netflix between midnight and 4am as she’s kept waking herself up snuffling and snorting in her cot) I had the day off work and a couple of hours free while Mrs and Mini went to a breastfeeding group so I thought I’d knock out a couple of steady miles.

Didn’t quite go to plan – I fell asleep for the first hour – but when I woke up I stuck my shoes on and got out there.

It was a bit of a shock to the system – I’ve been used to running at 6am in the dark, with no one around and temperatures around zero so 1 in the afternoon on an unusually warm February day was a bit different, and I overdressed a little bit. I also had to weave round human traffic, which is a right faff.

I set off with no aims regarding time or pace; it was just nice to be out running, to be honest. I turned off the audio prompts on Strava and just ran by feel. I expected to be well down on my previous pace, but when I looked at my phone at the end I’d run my usual 2 mile loop at a 9:20/mile average, which I think is my fastest yet – it’s definitely somewhere up there. It would probably have been a touch faster if I hadn’t got stuck behind some lumbering pedestrians and stopped for a brief chat with MrsMonkey near the end.

Most importantly though I have that lovely self satisfied glow that you get after a run, and I’m already figuring out when I can get out again. Now MiniMonkey is starting to sleep a bit at night it should be a bit more doable, with a bit of luck.

No sniffing now Darcy…..

They were her brother’s! ☹️

I’m positively flaccid!

Not bad for £25, even if they just do as thrashers until the trails get drier. It also says “Racing Product” on them so they’re bound to make me faster.

🤣🤣🤣

Perfect colour for you NoseBridge 😆

And they’re red, and everyone knows red ones go faster.

They’re ORANGE (Bastards) 🙂

🤣

Wee story Darcy, was out for a run last summer, had my green NB shoes, green prestwick 10k top on, grey shorts n grey socks, Basically looked like Celtic training kit.

Was finishing up at the pub round the corner, before walking home, just in time for mad dog Jonny Adairs mate coming out, he looked he was gonna explode, I laughed. Tosser! 😂

Brilliant! Love that kinda shit. 🙂

Thing is, I was born on Orangeman’s Day!

Ooft, nae luck! 😂

First ultra entered! Run the blades 50k, Mrs is doing it too, round the wind farm so won’t be the most exciting, but it’ll be great doing it together. 😊

Orange you glad they’re not yellow!

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

One of the things I’ve changed for my London prep this year is doing a lot more slow-paced runs. I’ve previously dismissed ‘recovery runs’ as just filler junk and a waste of time, but now I see a benefit to them. I’ll happily pop out for couple of 10-15km potters with the HR barely rising as a way of shaking out the legs after a hard session the day before. Some reckon that a really gentle run is actually better than rest, but it has to be gentle otherwise it’s counter-productive. The miles are mounting up quite quickly without much strain, but I limit the hard sessions to avoid injury. Not relishing the prospect of this coming Sunday’s run – 32km with 19km at marathon pace :O

alanf

With regards to the gentle “recovery” runs, I’ve been getting a couple in by taking on of my dogs. They’re a bit stop start and a pretty steady pace of about 4-7 miles depending on how I’m feeling and time available.
    I don’t think I could have run every day since the end of September if I hadn’t eased off for some of my runs. However, I’m not feeling like I’ve overdone it so I’ll keep going and see how things progress.
    Oooooff, that sounds like a tough workout, specially at the pace you run marathons 🙂

Well, entered my first race :-S Roll on Sunday…

15km +900m. I ran (walked…) 10k of it today, first climb gains around 450m straight up a tussocky hillside, barely ran any of it. Turns out the ‘respite’ shown on the profile doesn’t exist. Then a mix of open ‘fell’ and rocky, rooty forest tracks. I wore my Walshes for the mud that’s usually up there but it’s all dried rock hard, quite a sore experience – aggravating the heel I bruised on Sunday (I hope it’s that and not something more sinister).
    So I’ll try to keep it rested for a couple of days, and try to avoid coming in dead last as I probably deserve!

surfer

I’ve previously dismissed ‘recovery runs’ as just filler junk and a waste of time, but now I see a benefit to them

Serious question, why? My old coach used to say 3 sessions a week the rest is “padding” Didnt stop us running 10+ times a week but I am of the view that once running is too slow to add any training effect then it simply increases the risk of injury and burns energy that will be needed for quality stuff. Our runs where never “easy” in the sense we never ran slower than 6:30ish even on long runs.

trail_rat

My old coach used to say 3 sessions a week

Things move on. Modern coaching based on modern scientific evidence rather than anecdotal and outdated science.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,121 through 2,160 (of 2,843 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.