• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Spin
    Free Member

Got me first race in ages on Sunday. The Fassfern Faff over near Fort William. Wasn’t planning on doing any races prior to my Ramsay Round attempt but I’ve got so bored knocking my pan in on my own in the hills that I thought something shorter, faster and sociabler might be just the ticket!

mogrim

Also got my first race on Sunday, a fairly easy 25K trail race local to me. No big hills, so it’s going to be a fast one. Not me you understand, the winners 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Will we be able to track you on yer Ramsay, Spin?.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My 2018 plans all fell through.

However new year new start and a lical park run to motivate me!

I also bought new trainers… Off piste with a pair of decathlon jobs i’ve slowly been going thinner soles over the last few years and feel a difference.

brakes
    Free Member

First ever proper training plan started yesterday for me with an easy 7k jog, fartleks tomorrow.
    Plan is 2 x 8 week blocks running 3 times a week – first block for a 10k in March then second for a 1/2 marathon in May.

Spin
    Free Member

I hadn’t planned on using a tracker but I’ll let you know how I get on!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would be ace to keep an eye on your progress, but I’m sure you have enough to worry about! When’s the planned start?

flyingmonkeycorps

Had a couple of days off Monday / Tuesday ‘cos I was knackered – not particularly run tired, just the extra hour in bed felt like it made a big difference. Yeah, I’m that rock and roll. Considered a half five start and longer run this morning, but settled on a 6am start and 2 miles.

I’ve been thinking for a while that I’m dues a ‘disappointing’ run and this was sort of it – it’s the first time since I’ve started that I’ve not knocked time off on a similar run, even if it was only by 3s/mile. Last time I did this loop (though admittedly the opposite way around) my average was 9:29/mile, today was 9:32/mile. And the previous time was a windy day, and the day after a longer run. But on the other side I wasn’t up so early, so was probably a bit more awake.

Some positives to be taken anyway – the drop off isn’t massive (and could probably be down to tracking error, but then that could also go in the opposite direction) and my speed was fairly constant (each mile was within a couple of seconds) which is good.

That said interestingly I used the audio cues to give me half mile updates, and the first half mile was pretty slow (while I warmed up I guess), but averaged out by the second half, whilst for the final mile I seemed to find my pace and run fairly consistently. I guess longer warm up times would be beneficial, but that would mean getting out of bed tomorrow.

Planning the same (or maybe longer) tomorrow morning, so it’ll be interesting to see how that goes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

FMC, a few things I’ve discovered.

– rest is as beneficial as running
    – running early isn’t easy for everyone, hydration and fuelling frexample
    – you won’t get quicker all the time, no one does
    – no one runs the same speed for every mile, try progressive runs, I love them, start slowly and aim to get quicker splits for each mile. Means you finish stronger, and it’s a far better feeling than finishing blowing oot yer arse.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers @Nobeer, I like the sound of progressive runs, especially when I have time to get out for a bit longer.

I generally like running early I think, and it’s pretty much the only time I can squeeze it in at the moment (and is likely to remain that way) but it’s definitely something to bear in mind. I think I’d struggle being out more than an hour without having something to eat beforehand.

I also knew at some point I’d have a run that wasn’t an ‘improvement’, I figured it was coming soon.

Plus I’m not training for anything other than to get a bit fitter and lose a bit of weight, so actually the times don’t really matter (they totally do).

lunge

Progressive runs are awesome, they work really well for helping pace runs as natural instinct is to go hard to begin with and fade, these temper that.

I’m really back on it this year, did 12 miles home from work last night, wanted to do 9 minute miles and hit 8:54 overall which I’ll take every day of the week. Got Worcester marathon in May (after swearing I’d never do a marathon again…) and really want to train properly for it and get a PB. If I can keep up at 30 mile+ weeks and ramp things up then I’ve got a fighting chance of getting there.

Mrs Lunge is training for Edinburgh the week after and is following a fairly low mileage plan, I’ve decided to go the opposite direction and go big, we’ll see who gets it right in May!

Spin
    Free Member

When’s the planned start?

Any weekend from the last one in January to the last one in February depending on the weather / conditions. Most likely starting at about 5pm and going clockwise.

stayhigh

Have been having some on and off shin splinty pain for a few weeks now so went for a sports massage yesterday. The upshot is that my calves are incredibly tight as are the adductors on my left thigh too. Have been advised no running for a week with daily calf and hip stretches and then go for a short gentle run and see how things are.
    A bed of my own making for sure as over the last couple of months my running has been rather scattergun in its approach and my warm ups and cool downs had gone fully out of the window too. So back to the Good Habits Hotel for me with a nice gentle 15 minute yoga this morning and have another planned for tonight.
    Due to go back in a fortnight to see how I’m getting on and meet with the physio for some targeted work. Lost about 3 months last year due to stupid niggles so determined to get this straightened out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never stretch, and only ever warm up if I’m going for a time 🙂

duckman

That is some challenge Spin, I met a guy doing it a few years ago on Anoach Mor and he looked like he was just back from the ‘Nam.

marcus
    Free Member

Well that didn’t go according to plan. I bailed on the Spine about 40 miles in. Pretty depressed at the moment and can see it taking a while and lots of hard work to get the motivation & confidence back again.

Spin
    Free Member

That is some challenge Spin, I met a guy doing it a few years ago on Anoach Mor and he looked like he was just back from the ‘Nam.

I should be looking OK at Aonach Mor but then I’ll only be a few hours in at that point! I’ve already done it in the summer so we’ll see how the winter version goes.

djtom
    Free Member

spines going off.

Understatement suits you well Sir!
    For those that haven’t been watching, Jasmin Paris is about to win the Spine Race outright, and it looks like she’ll be setting a new course record as well. An outstanding run against some very strong competition.

firestarter
    Free Member

Slow and steady going well did 17.5 miles at 9.38mm pace off-road and no niggles despite me doing three runs this last week when I’ve been on one only for a month or so. Achilles still feels ok too so after 40 miles this week I’m very happy with that

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chin up Marcus!.

MrSparkle

Jasmin Paris – well she did it. Redefine your ‘awesome’. https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/01/jasmin_paris_wins_montane_spine_race-71824

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Incredible doesn’t quite do her justice.

bob_summers

^ This.

Well my induction into trail running continues to suck. Seems to be one good run at the weekend then all week hobbling on swollen ankles, sore knees, blistered toes… did two 7km ‘runs’ this week, mostly walking and gingerly stepping over roots and rocks to avoid aggravating the ankles more. Day off today, left achilles is stiff, swollen and clicking loudly. Would happily get back on the bike at this point but I signed up for this at the end of March, time-cuts run at just under 15min/mile at KM8, 16 and 24, which I can do over 15km but I’ve never run further than that. Uncharted waters…

surfer
    Free Member

Have been having some on and off shin splinty pain

Suffered as a junior and ended up with stress fractures. You cant run through this one!!! Massage, Ice and NSAID’s will help then restart once the pain has disappeared. It is hugely frustrating and usually a result of doing too much before your legs have adjusted. Stretch if you want but I wouldnt bother but I would warm up before training which I normally do by simply starting slow then getting faster, use the first few mins as a warm up.

marcus
    Free Member

Cheers Nobeer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft, what a difference 5 days makes. I was pissed off on Saturday at parkrun, felt slow, lethargic, just shit.

Popped out for a tempo 5k tonight and was within 9 secs of a PB. Quite happy with that, given the time of year.

Signed up for a hill race today, just a wee local one, 5k all in, up to 1200ft and back over ankle breaking tussocks, Heather and bogs. Guid.

Spin
    Free Member

Signed up for a hill race today, just a wee local one

What’s that then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

Kaim hill race, a very small affair, but has been graced by such legends as Mudge and Diamantides.

Spin
    Free Member

Cool.

stayhigh

@surfer: That’s where I am now, rest, ice and Ibuprofen. Its kinda like sex and drugs and rock and roll only not lol
    Went out for a walk yesterday which was ok and seem to be have had a good response to the massage. 15 minutes of yoga this morning concentrating on legs and back and the same again before bed tonight. The plan is to keep that up over the next few days and see how they are feeling next Tuesday. All being well I can ease out a gentle little 2k round the block and build back from there.
    I have a [air of compression calf sleeves on the way,a gait analysis arranged for next week and the promise of a new pair of shoes. Just needed to see how much money the car is going to cost to get through its MOT and see what I have left to play with #studentnursewage 🙁

flyingmonkeycorps

Oof.

Not the best morning. Got up early this morning with a vague plan of doing four miles before work, and maybe doing half mile intervals(ish) – steady half mile warm up, then push for half a mile, then steady etc.

Nah.

Sat on the spare bed half awake pulling my socks on I felt something ping in my lower back. Now I used to suffer a lot from lower back problems (once got an ambulance ride from the student union bar to hospital!) but after lots of stretching, strengthening and generally getting fitter I’ve not had any major problems (apart from the odd soreness after a long ride or drive) for a good few years. This didn’t feel like a huge twinge, but it didn’t feel inconsequential either. I considered shuffling back to bed and crying for a bit, but then I thought actually a bit of movement is probably better than just lying still, so I had a bit of a potter around the house.

I could definitely feel that something wasn’t right, but as long as I didn’t twist too much it wasn’t too bad. So I thought what the hell, I’ll go out anyway. Worst that happens I walk a bit then come home.

So I walked up and down the road (I usually do this as a bit of a warm up anyway) and things weren’t feeling too bad. The next step was to run a couple of hundred metres – and as long as I kept it REALLY steady, everything felt pretty much fine. As soon as I tried to up the pace either I was twisting more or the higher step / landing gave me a nasty twinge, so I just kept it really steady (annoyingly so if I’m being honest) and headed off around the block.

At the point where I can choose whether to turn off for a two mile lap or keep going for three or four I was feeling fine, so I kept on going. I already knew by this point that I was WAY off the pace that I’d been planning on aiming for (Strava helpfully told me, but to be honest it wasn’t like I couldn’t tell) but I knew that was going to be the case and I figured getting some very slow miles in was better than doing nothing at all.

So in the end I managed just under four miles with an average 11:01/mile, which was pretty much the same throughout the run. I’m currently sat very upright thinking that maybe biking on Sunday might not be the best idea, but I don’t think I’ve done any more damage by getting out for a plod, and I’m pleased to have put a few miles in.

surfer
    Free Member

@stayhigh

Dont do what I did and try to run through the pain (only a real idiot would do that) I hit peak pain when I ran a 5 miler which had a very steep downhill last few hundred metres and the pain was excruciating. It was the old Haigh Hall course and my mate ran 22:17 (yes you read that right!) I was 3 mins behind him and went to A&E the next day who put me in plaster….

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Thought you might like to know my weekly Thursday run with a mate has swelled into a group of five of us over the past couple of months:). Social running is great – particularly as I can now talk whilst running at a decent pace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb slowpuncheur, I enjoy a group run, the miles fly past a lot easier when there’s a bit of craic!.

brakes
    Free Member

a few noob questions for the experienced runners:
    – I do most of my training on a disused railway where the surface is firm mud and crushed stone. Will this cause any issues when I come to do races on concrete/ tarmac? Will my pace be quicker on harder surfaces? Will it hurt more? Would it help to vary my route?
    Ta.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll be slightly quicker on tarmac, can’t see it causing you any issues, ie injuries, it would help if you vary your route, as disused railway lines don’t generally have hills. Hills are good. 😊

brakes
    Free Member

ok, cool.
    the route I use is 2.5km long with a very steady gradient (as you’d imagine) of 2%. I go back and forth on it.
    it’s a bit muddy at the moment. but I live in the city so it’s much better than running the streets and a bit more exciting than the parks.

stayhigh

@surfer Slow and steady is certainly the order of the day. Want to get this sorted once and for all and start to run pain free. I know its a mess of my own making so plenty of rest and getting back into good habits again. Was due to do a Richmond Park 10k on Saturday but have given that a swerve as I was feeling tender after again by the end of my 6k walk this afternoon.
    I have entered the Tough Runner half marathon at Afan in July so plenty of time to get straight and sorted for that 🙂

mogrim

Good race today, 25km trail race fairly local to me – it was a bit tougher than expected, only 600m of climbing in total but all short sharp climbs with little opportunity to recover. Still, all good fun and the second half in particular was very enjoyable with some fun descents and some very picturesque trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.