• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Cross country for me too – first time in the top 100 which was my goal for some point for the season!

Absolutely rinsed myself. We’ve got a much stronger team this year – so we’re 7th in the league so far (it was 13th last year!).

Type 1 fun though – definitely… Look at my happy face 😉

gurn o'clock

lunge

Which sites do you find XC races? And do you need to be in a club? I fancy abusing my body a bit but not sure where to find the races.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I think you need to be in a club – as (at least here) they’re run on a League basis; however, if you know someone in a club – I believe you can run as a “Second Claim Runner” for their club – a bit like being a ringer. but you’d need to be nominally registered with them and wear their club colours. TBH it’s a good reason to join a club anyway 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

As above really – they are usually organised by the county AA so you need to be in a club, but they do sometimes have open races, so check with them as to whether they put any on.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Re waterproofs I have a berghaus vapourlight hyper smock which at 75g is super light. However, all told it’s too light and tissuey fragile in a lot of scenarios: if any bushwhacking is involved, high winds on munros, getting hammered with mud if on the mtb. It does tick the box for compulsory kit though. The fact it’s a smock also makes it a pain to get on and off, wish I’d bought the full zip version. Unless I really need to go light, I pack a berghaus vapour storm which is a lot heavier at 300g but far more usable if I’m likely to use it that day

franksinatra

I’m not in a club, our local league (Border XC) is open to all. However, it is club orientated, advertised via clubs and sells out very quickly.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Yay Gwent league cross country again this weekend I really can not wait. It is at Pembrey Park which I really like. It is a bit of a trek from Bristol though.

I just have to avoid all the sick people at work for a few more days.

surfer
    Free Member

I believe you can run as a “Second Claim Runner” for their club – a bit like being a ringer. but you’d need to be nominally registered with them and wear their club colours. TBH it’s a good reason to join a club anyway

You can only run 2nd claim if you are first claim for somebody else. Otherwise you automatically become 1st claim for that club. If both your 1st and 2nd claim clubs are in the same event then you have to run for your 1st claim and in their colours, or you will be disqualified.

Its worth joining a club for the company alone, not to mention the coaching and support most provide to youngsters and that is where your subs go. I have been in a running club for over 40 years. For the last 10+ years I have remained a member of a large club (they usually offer the best junior support) even though I never use the facilities. The thought of youngsters having the same experiences that I had when I was a teenager, coach trips to relay and track meetings, making friends and enjoying the sport, is my subs well spent. Particularly as many of them come from less than ideal backgrounds. I know running for me (and sport in general) is a fantastic thing. Join a club and think not what your club can do for you….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rumours of a marathon in my hometown of Prestwick in 2019, and a new half confirmed in Ayr for next year already, happy days!.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I’m not in a club, our local league (Border XC) is open to all. However, it is club orientated, advertised via clubs and sells out very quickly.

Hey Frank, did you enter the series? Had a great run on Sunday. For anyone else, the series sells out in hours after going live on entry Central which was on October 1st.

lotto
    Free Member

Tweed Valley Tunnel Trail Run. Anybody participated? Fancy this next year . Did the run before the sevens thist year and it was great. Thinking this would be as good?

turboferret

Some clubs might let you run as a non-scorer (often with a big X on your back) if you haven’t fully joined the club or are just dipping your toe in the water.  However, assuming you aren’t at the very pointy end, you probably won’t be upsetting the score system anyway.

2nd race in the Surrey League on Saturday.  As it’s a Surrey league, we have Kent AC taking part, as they decided a number of years ago that their own league wasn’t competitive enough.  Having been dominant for the past 5 years I think we ran them within a few points last year, but didn’t quite knock them off.  The first race though, despite missing a few of our top runners, we sneaked a win, and hope to crush them this week 🙂

duckman

Lotto, did it last year and it was brilliant.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve just done a 5km test run on my ankle as it’s been sore for 2 weeks it was ok thank God as I’ve a 22km trail race on Sat

I’ve entered out local peco xc league too looking forward to those 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last event of the year today, a very wet and cold Jimmy Irvine 10k at Bellahouston park. Haven’t done much for a couple of weeks, showed today, 46.16 nearly 2 mins from my previous best.

Good end to the year though, this time last year is have struggled to break an hour.

A good structured winter of training ahead should see some gains in 2019…

turboferret

Was a bit damp for our XC race on Saturday!

We were a little dismayed to see that Kent had brought Alex Yee along (UK 10,000m champ) and predictably he won by a pretty comfortable margin, but we packed our runners in, with our 10th guy in 29th place meaning we won by over 100 points 🙂  I had been feeling pretty flat all week and didn’t have a great run, but still just about managed to score for the A team as the 9th man home.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Great photo. We had a drop of rain in Wales too. But the sandy ground drained so well there was zero mud and it could have been run in road shoes. My position in the race was a bit different from yours 109th. Best fun I have had in ages, it was a cracking course and I think the sun may have even come out during the race.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well I feel a bit inadequate compared to most in this thread, but it *does* say beginners, right?

I used to run a bit a few years ago, then stopped after damaging my achilles tendon running in the woods at night (I was DEFINITELY being chased by a bear, and tripped over a root). Last time I ran with any kind of regularity was probably three years ago.

Mrs Monkey and I are due a baby in January, and the prep for that is already cutting into my MTB time, and obviously come babytime will do so even more – especially since I live in Hull, so it’s a good hours drive to get anywhere even moderately interesting. I don’t really like road biking, especially in the dark in winter (plus that takes a good couple of hours for a decent ride, AND my bikes are both currently living in an outhouse at my parents to free us up some more space).

To, to avoid me getting fat(ter) I’ve decided to have another crack at running. I can do it out the door (crappy pavement running, but it’s better than nothing) in a morning before work, or after without eating into my day too much. Hopefully I’ll even be able to do it with the baby later on next year.

So – first run was this morning! Nice early 6.30ish start, and a very steady 2 and a bit miles around the block. It wasn’t pretty, and I’m feeling it a little bit now but I managed it in about 23 minutes at a steady trot after starting off a bit too enthusiastically.

Not exactly world beating, but given that I’m overweight and haven’t run in years (or been on the bike that much since doing a coast to coast in September tbh) I’m not too unhappy.

Just need to get out and do it again on Wednesday now…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done FMC, everyone on this thread, from a near beginner like me, to the likes of TF had to start somewhere. Keep us updated mate, always good to hear how everyone is getting on.

flyingmonkeycorps

Will do! Might give me a bit of much needed motivation for when it’s pissing it down on the only hour that I can get out…

duckman

Clova half for me last Saturday, 1.52 was enough to win the 100kg weight category*  A good duel with the fellow big unit from the Dundee Road Runners before I powered…sorry, ambled away from him at mile 11.

* Yeah I know…no such thing; but I can dream.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Good stuff FMC. I would say that was pretty swift for a first go. I did not even manage 10 mins the first time I tried running and was in bits 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers IACA, it is very flat around here which I reckon helps.

I think my aim is to get up to about 10k at a steady pace – it’d be nice to be able to use running as an alternative to riding on holidays and such, so I don’t have to take a bike everywhere.

My legs are still working (I think a mile walk to work after a shower and breakfast is probably quite a big help) but I’d forgotten how hungry running makes me. Trying to avoid snacking but I’m not sure how long that’ll last…

stox
    Free Member

Love this thread! Keep it up everyone ..

18:54 parkrun this weekend. Big parkrun PB for me and not far off my race 5k PB.

Managed my first sub 40 10k at Leeds abbey dash last week too.

I spent the summer training for a marathon and the difference that regular and consistent running has made to my running in general has been massive.

the only problem now is keeping the momentum now that the marathon is done! 😕

turboferret

Just realised that I may have misled everyone – I was the 9th scoring man for our team, in 27th.  I had to put my socks through the wash twice afterwards, once inside out, then the right way as there was still so much sand and grit inside!

The trick I find with the XC season is to try not to lose any fitness over Christmas as it’s very easy to be a bit sluggish for the first races in the new year

turboferret

Stox – consistency is incredibly beneficial, you’ll really notice more miles in the legs.  Fully agree about losing momentum though, once the A-race is over after a big time investment, and the next is some way off, keeping motivated can be a challenge.

alanf
    Free Member

Stox – get some more targets planned in the calendar.

That’s been my plan this year, a half distance race or above at least once a month.

I’m 10 down and 2 to go, it’s kept my mileage up all through the year.

I’m not saying that is right for you, but if you have got something to aim for it’s also something to focus the mind.

Sub 18 at local (Barnsley) park run this weekend.

First time under 18 at my home event. It’s not an easy course compared to the others I’ve done.

stumpy01

Thought I’d dive into this thread.
    I used to run a lot in my teens – always mid-pack, rather than winning much, but I ran for school, borough at county level & for a club; middle distance & x-country were my things, although I hated 1500m on track. My 400m time was 58s & 800 was 2:18 when I was around 16.

It all fizzled out while at uni and when I tried to get back into regular running in my early 20’s I always used to get really bad ITB pain. I gave up running after seeing the 5th or 6th physio and being told it was a different problem every time, but do these exercises & that’ll sort it – and nothing really worked.

Anyway – I decided in the late August to jog home from the garage while my car was being serviced & see what happened. 1.9 miles at a leisurely pace with no IT band pain – although I could feel it was tight.
    I’ve been doing yoga weekly for the past couple of years & I think that this has helped to release my hips a bit, which has eased the tension on my ITband.

So, since then I’ve been running a bit & getting more into it – I still get IT band pain, but it’s not as bad as it was & I can run further before it comes on. I am hoping that continued regular stretching sorts it out.
    I’ve now done 15 runs (I just checked on Strava); so about 2 a week – and did a 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday, in 52:11. I wasn’t intending on doing 10k – I was intending to do a run I’d done the week before, which was 5.4 miles, but I went the wrong way at the start & added a little loop in. I am pretty pleased with that – it’s the longest run I’ve done for probably 23 years or so.

I now need to keep on with regular stretching & a bit of foam rolling. I am hoping as my running muscles come back too, that will help with the IT band pain.
    Plan for 2019 is to completely sort my IT band out & do a few 10k events. I have no idea what a decent 10k time is. I suppose 5min/km is a relatively achievable goal in the short-ish term; Strava reckons my average at the weekend was 5:12/km. So, get my 10k time down to 50 mins & go from there, I guess!

I’ve registered with Parkrun, but not yet got along to any events – problem is my Wife has signed my 3yr old daughter up to football at 9am on a Sat morning….

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

stumpy01 I’ll bet you’ll be surprised at how much you improve – I was a truly rotten runner as a kid – and when I ran a bit in my 20s I never broke 48 minutes for a 10k and my Half Marathon PB was 2:15.

However, I’m 46 now – and have been running for just over a year, went from 48:00 in October to 45:00 in December; and got down to 41:09 a couple of weeks ago – and I’m definitely still improving – I’m no stronger – but I’m much happier suffering now!

Same for my half, I’m at 1:32:00 and it’s still dropping – there appears (for me anyway) a lot to be said to coming into running later in life…

firestarter
    Free Member

I just did a trail 22km at the weekend logs rocks steps bridges streams and tunnels it was hard as hell but great fun got a bit lost and fell a few times, took me 2hrs12 and I still came 29th . Ace run

stumpy01

stumpy01 I’ll bet you’ll be surprised at how much you improve

Yeah, to be honest I have already surprised myself. When I used to run as a teenager, my longest runs were 5 miles or so, because more than that wasn’t required for the track events & x-country races I was doing at the time. I did the odd run at longer distances (perhaps 8 miles), but they were the exception.

So, I’m pleased to be bashing out >6 miles within a few months of starting back at it. I’m not really running that often either; perhaps twice a week with no real plan.

I used to love hill intervals, but living nr the fens pretty much makes that impossible now.

I’ve ordered a couple of long-sleeved tops for the winter & could probably do with an extra pair of shorts & some kind of light for the dark evenings.
    I’d like to get a gps watch really (sticking my phone on my arm is a ball ache) but am not really sure what to go for.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vivoactive HR is very good, had mine for nigh on 2 years now. The newer offerings (vivoactive 3, Fenix etc) are supposed to be much better, they must be really good if that’s the case!.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Physio believes I have patella tendinopathy; anyone had to deal with this before? Another set back, grr

alanf
    Free Member

I had patella tendinopathy, but it was from having my saddle too low on my bike.

Never had it from running and resting/correcting saddle position eventually fixed it.

Digby

Physio believes I have patella tendinopathy; anyone had to deal with this before?

Yep – had this a few years ago. I’d ramped up the training in readiness for a big winter snowboarding trip to Canada with lots of running and lots of singlespeed compounded with an MCL tear a few years previous meant that I was getting burning pain in the patella when riding crud and chop

Saw a physio in Canada who gave me loads of routines & exercises to help improve the patella tendon tracking through the groove and build up strength including loads of foam roller work.

Stick with the physio and I’m sure you will be fine.

stumpy01

Vivoactive HR is very good, had mine for nigh on 2 years now

Cheers NBITF – I’ll check that one out.
    I’ve been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 30 & 35. They are both at a good price at the moment, so perhaps newer versions are imminent.
    I’m a bit wary of Garmin devices, as my Edge500 was such a piece of turd.

I’ve also been looking at the Polar M430. I’m currently using an old phone in an arm holder thing, but it’s not the most user-friendly option; especially when the phone I’m using has very poor screen visibility when looked at from an angle. Hey ho – first world problems!!

I just did a 5km (bit over) at lunch with a colleague – He pushed me a bit harder than I probably would have run on my own; ended up running 27s/km faster than the previous time I ran that route, at 5:01/km average pace. Pretty pleased with that.

flyingmonkeycorps

I just did a trail 22km at the weekend logs rocks steps bridges streams and tunnels it was hard as hell but great fun got a bit lost and fell a few times, took me 2hrs12 and I still came 29th . Ace run

That sounds ace – kinda like the running equivalent of what I like to do on a bike, which is kinda what I want to work my way towards next summer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m a bit wary of Garmin devices, as my Edge500 was such a piece of turd.

Aye, tbh the software on both my 500 and 520 was flaky as hell, no such issues with their wrist offerings so far.

firestarter
    Free Member

It was good flying monkey

lunge

I’d like to get a gps watch really (sticking my phone on my arm is a ball ache) but am not really sure what to go for.

I’ve got a Forerunner 35 and it does exactly what I need. I’m sure there are more complex devises but for tracking runs and being able to measure a few metrics during the run it’s perfect. It’s uploads easily enough to Strava and is as accurate as I need it to be.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.