• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • surfer
    Free Member

That said , I know a fella who pulled a 3:00 marathon in Brighton on 30 miles a week – which shouldn’t be possible, so good luck and chapeau!

There are a number of factors at play. Mileage is only one of them. I ran a reasonable marathon off around 50 MPW years ago (never did a serious one) and my Sunday run was only 12 miles. The thing was I seldom ran any of those 50 miles slower than around 6 min miling, many were much quicker. I think mileage is very important but not just for its own sake. Running 50 mpw averaging 6 min miling is better than 70 mpw averaging 7 min miling. Good runners run high mileage but also quality.

matt_outandabout

Good show mr_sparkles.

lunge

Not sure if this is allowed, mods, if it’s not feel free to delete, but given no-one is likely to look at the classifieds for a new pair of running shoes…

I’m getting rid of a few pairs of shoes that haven’t worked for me, so if anyone needs a size 47 (I’m a 46 in normal shoes) and would be interested in the below, drop me a message:

Nike Vaporfly, black, 7 miles

On Cloudflyer, green, 90 miles

Ascics Superion, blue, 13 miles

duckman

What are we all doing this weekend? I am running the Templeton 10m just outside Dundee. It is a weird one as I like my half marathons but have never done that particular distance. It is beside where I grew up and I know the route really well though. So…do I cry havoc and fly off, or do I save it and start to pick up time in the second half? I do a 1.50ish half so would like to be a dunt under 1.30 for ten.

lunge

Ooh, forgot a pair, Nike Lunar Glide in offensive pink and yellow, 30 miles.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I know what I’m doing – Cross Country is BACK!!! We’re in the Three Counties Cross Country League, so I’ve got my very shortest-shorts and my spikes ready to go for the first race in Dunstable!

lunge

very shortest-shorts and my spike

Ah yes, cross chic. Short shorts, vest, bobble hat, gloves. Strong look, very strong.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

For shame – I actually DO wear a bobble hat and gloves with my vest – I hate myself 🙁

lunge

For shame – I actually DO wear a bobble hat and gloves with my vest – I hate myself

Of course, that’s the textbook look. Add a beaten up Helly Hansen base layer for when it’s well below zero and you’re sorted.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Or arm-warmers, vest and shorty-short-shorts for the kinkiest look… I really have the scrawniest, bandiest legs imaginable!

Bandy legs

lunge

I can compete with that, not at the start of an XC race, but you get the idea.

trail_rat
    Free Member

me and wife have to go to arbroath tomorrow my folks house has sold so i need to clear out my junk.

Going to call in at stonehaven park run on the way – remembering my barcode this time. Shall try and get the wife to also do it……

then sunday is trail tribe in scolty – which is generally a trail run with a bunch of exercises chucked in.  Mostly quite good fun and a good way to get a core workout in as im as guilty as the next guy of knowing the benifits of a strong core and general conditioning…. but i still dont do them regular.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

A headband too? Epic! 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Stupid photo uploads to this site

duckman

Points lost for compression gear instead of tubi-grip….Mind you; those arm warmers are a bit Frank n Furter.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

This is like cross country bingo – short-shorts – check! Vests over old smelly-hellys – check! Gloves – check! Stupid hats – check!

HATS!

firestarter
    Free Member

A bit of advice please from the ultra trail types

I’ve started upping my mileage with a  view to doing some trail ultras in the coming years

I have a salamon vest and a nice windproof but what do you run in and or carry, waterproof in particular seems a big debate lightweight but enough to pass kit check or heavyweight as if you need it you need it and your not going to run In one anyway

Any tips tricks advice welcomed ta

thecaptain
    Free Member

There are ultras and ultras. Not that I’ve done anything longer than the 3 peaks (running) which I suppose is technically not an ultra but takes a lot longer than a road marathon. If I was expecting to walk significantly sections and there was a risk of poor weather I’d definitely go beyond the race minimum. Might be tempted to take a bit of a risk if I was in with a serious chance of winning but that’s hardly the case – the aim would be to enjoy (cope with) the experience as best as possible.

lunge

Truly lovely Parkrun today. I’ve been volunteering and RDing a lot recently and this week, with a full roster, I just went there and ran. And it was so, so nice. Winter sun, a good turn out, a reasonable time and a top 15 finish. Really reminded why I fell in love with the event in the first place and why I keep going back. A very pleasant run home followed by coffee, bacon and Raymond Blanc on Saturday kitchen finished off a perfect Saturday morning.

Snd now I’m going to the pub, Saturday is shaping up very nicely indeed.

whitestone
    Free Member

@firestarter As @thecaptain says there’s lots of variables. Think of the mandatory kit list as being the minimum that organisers can expect runners to actually bring with them, anything more and there’d be a revolt! I’d take a good selection of poor weather kit with me to the event then decide what, if anything, over and above the mandatory kit to take with me.

Assuming there’s no massive cold weather front coming in during the time you will be out then I’d look at being slightly on the cool side on the starting line as you’ll soon warm up both as you exert yourself more and as the day warms up. Only you know what sort of level of effort keeps you warm in a particular set of conditions when wearing simple running kit so any slower than that and you’ll likely need some sort of thin thermal layer.

The pace on these sorts of runs for most people is one where you can chat to those around you, any harder and you are likely to be going in to the red and the rest of the run won’t be pleasant. Basically run your own race and don’t be tempted to keep up with the super fit runners up front.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers chaps

boblo
    Free Member

Bit of a dumb question maybe but how are people fuelling and hydrating for DIY Marathons? I’m finding my feet a bit and trying a good breakfadt, 500ml of water during and a gel every 50 mins but still struggle a bit towards the end. Interested in other war stories please.

Spin
    Free Member

but still struggle a bit towards the end.

If you’re just getting into that distance it is probably an endurance thing rather than a nutrition thing.

boblo
    Free Member

So more mileage/intensity in training?

Spin
    Free Member

I’d say so.

wonderwhatitis
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to start running, nothing big just couch to 5k kind of thing. The issue I have is that I suffer from shin splints and even a couple of hundred metres jog results in my ankles feeling like their on fire. Should I be looking at orthotics, different shoes, stretches, a combination of all of these?

Any help would be great as I really want to give this a go.

matt_outandabout

I’m certainly not an expert, but certain shoes have been awful for shin splints.

Worth the cost of a local shop running gait analysis?

lotto
    Free Member

Which GPS watch are people using? I currently just put my Garmin Edge 200 in my pocket and go. Considering a watch that would sync to my phone on my return just so looking at my activity log is easier. I don’t need all the bells and whistles. GPS (be nice if it could supply a grid reference for OS mapping purposes) , HR and Bluetooth sync to phone would cover it I think.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

https://www.ultratrailscotland.com/event-2019.html#

Spin, this looks a belter, I’m gonna enter the shorter distance, 26km and 2000m ascent mind!, June 2019. So expect lots of stupid questions about poles, vests etc in the next 6 months or so!.

lotto, I’ve had a Vivoactive HR for 18 months now, completely sold now on wrist based V specific cycle computers, so much more useable a system, instead of having a wee computer that you only use 3 or 4 times a week, I use it all the time, HR, sleep monitoring, steps, stairs climbed, it’s flipping brilliant.

Going by reviews, the new Vivoactive 3 is even better, but a bit dearer.

MrSparkle

Next up in my recovery was going to be a Parkrun but then I heard about an 8 mile trail race (Allithwaite 8) near our caravan site in t’Lakes on Saturday. After a lot of mental debate I thought ‘**** it’ and entered. My ex-boss and race rival from back in the day was there too. That added a bit of spice. It was tough and of course the climbs were all into a headwind. I was in some discomfort due to after effects of the op but kept going. I got results today and found I was 25th out of 102, 4 & a bit minutes in front of ex-boss. Surprised and delighted sums it up I think. I’m still far from ‘right’ but this is a much needed boost.

Spin
    Free Member

@nobeer, I looked at that last year but it didn’t fit with other things. Looks like a great route. I think the fields were pretty small last year so a bit surprised it’s running again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it was cancelled in 16, small fields last year, but the 26k shorter one has 37 entered already, was only 40 odd last year. Always takes a wee while for these events to catch on IME.

It’s a good alternative to the rat race one, 25 quid instead of nearly 200, and is all up on the ridge, rat race has a lot of dull fire road running.

I’ve never done a hill race before, best get some training in!.

mogrim

Assuming there’s no massive cold weather front coming in during the time you will be out then I’d look at being slightly on the cool side on the starting line as you’ll soon warm up both as you exert yourself more and as the day warms up

Careful with that, it depends on when the race starts and how long you’re planning on taking. I’ve done ultras that start in the evening, you warm up nicely for the first few hours, but as you head towards dawn the temperature drops… Generally speaking I’d err on the side of caution – taking your jacket off is easy (and at ultra pace stopping is not an issue!), while trying to put on a jacket you don’t have… So I’d go for a slightly heavier waterproof jacket which you can use for training in winter too.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m certainly not an expert, but certain shoes have been awful for shin splints.

Worth the cost of a local shop running gait analysis?

In my opinion no, unqualified shop staff are not best placed to analyse such a complex thing. They will sell you shoes though.

firestarter
    Free Member

Talking of gait analysis I was told I needed insoles and support shoes ended up with no end of issues after getting sick if trying different shoes tried a set of neutral zero drop and problems ended immediately so id take them with a pinch of salt tbh

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In my opinion no, unqualified shop staff are not best placed to analyse such a complex thing. They will sell you shoes though.

100% agree.

marcus
    Free Member

Wow – This thread is still going. Some excellent stuff going on. Ain’t running great !

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had a gait analysis done last time….

Didn’t bother this time.

Didn’t notice a difference.

Bought entirely difference shoes as well.

Sure if you have an underlying issue maybe Merritt of having your insoles sorted by a physio .

Went out trail running on scolty last night in the dark up to the tower and down to the river. 12k in total on singletrack that is fun on the bike and as fun to run….. Really enjoy night trail/hill running

franksinatra

Cross Country Season started, I did the Lauder round of Borders XC. Came in around 3/4 way down in the field but it was my first race is around 25 years.

Definitely Type 2 fun.

surfer
    Free Member

Ran with lots of very fast runners over the years. Some of them have had what appear to be serious biomechanical issues which on the face of it would benefit from correction. After all those years I came to the following unscientific conclusions:

1: Most will be compensated for by your body, which has an unbelievable ability to adapt, given enough time. If you over train before your body completes this process you will spend a lot of time injured.

2: Trying to correct them with “control” shoes or orthotics seldom works

Of course some will say they have anti pronation shoes, orthotics etc and it has been miraculous but in my experience of the quicker guys I have ran with I cant remember any wearing anything that wasnt off the shelf. An example being a good training buddy of mine who broke 52 mins for 10, he over-pronated terribly on one ankle when running. He claimed the only time it ever caused him an issue was when he tried to correct it. He is 57 and we ran together last week.

Just my thoughts

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.