Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, defo a lot better than the turbo, even a solo run is better than the turbo.

Early 10 mile steady run this morning, I have two halfs and a 10 mile trail race in the next month, I’ll probably just be doing some speed work in between them.

firestarter
    Free Member

Went for a training session with a mate at the local club Thursday night 3 mile tempo run there 3.5 miles of hill reps and 4 mile steady back , hard but felt great in the morning

Today did 13 miles with the Mrs as it was her final long run before her half in 2 weeks. She did longest she’s ran and loads of pbs around the loop happy days

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did my first park run today

Hazlehead with glupton formerly of this parish before i welded up his car.

23:11.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guid stuff Terry.

21.39 my best, but that’s a muddy, undulating course, there’s a pancake flat one along Troon prom that’s a potential sub 20….

How’d George get on?

trail_rat
    Free Member

21:54

This was a climb out and downhill return

Likewise there’s one down the beach that’s one way and flat

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

👌🏻

duckman

Stones with the three times up the brae is a stinker.

Spin
    Free Member

Lying in my van listening to the wind and rain and not paticularly relishing the thought of the Glencoe Skyline today, even with the shortened course.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤪

It’ll be fun.

And muddy..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look forward to hearing how you get on spin, no doubt you’ll be awesome!.

Spin
    Free Member

Not today Nobeer! Had a cold through the week and didn’t feel great but managed to grind it out and actually came in in a fairly respectable 4:48.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done sir, tough gig.

Spin
    Free Member

Thank you. I think i have a general expectation that each race will be progress on the one before but thats really not how it works!

Great suite of races this weekend that really put Kinlochleven on the big stage.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Have mostly been doing long slow hill runs recently and neglecting any speed work, so had a bash at a flat road 10k to see where I’m at, 40’24. Felt that in the legs for a few days after, more so than 20-30k hill runs

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

It is definitely getting easier even though all of my runs are super slow- between 9 and 10 min/mile. I feel like the gentle introduction of pace and hills will let me improve a bit more. But as long as I can not let go of the bike its going to be hard to keep getting faster.

So will my chunky legs start to get thinner as I run more?? I cant help them being stumpy little things but they are like tree trunks. Never lift weights just ride a bit. – Im starting to look like the guy from the  ‘triplets of belleville’- (cool film btw)

moonsaballoon

Hi all

Doing my first half next weekend in Glasgow and aiming for sub 2 hour . Just wondering what the best thing to do with the pacemakers are ? Do I just stay as close as possible and follow their pace and pushpon later on if i can or  is it worth trying to get a bit ahead and see if I can hold on .

thecaptain
    Free Member

Stay with them but check with the distance markers as you’re going along that they are actually doing a decent job, sometimes pacers run like **** and screw up the race for everyone. Good luck!

turboferret

For your first half, I would play it fairly conservatively, and stick with a pacemaker who is running a time you are confident of achieving.  If you’re feeling good, by all means let it rip towards the end to empty the tank.  Once you are more accustomed to your limits, pacing and how it feels when you’re on the edge, push the boundaries.  It’s better to have a realistic target which you meet, than an unrealistic one which you fail at I’d say.

I’ve got my first ever 10,000m on the track this evening, not ideal weather with the wind, hopefully I’ll manage not to get too bored running round in circles 25 times!

Cheers, Rich

lunge

Stay with them but check with the distance markers as you’re going along that they are actually doing a decent job, sometimes pacers run like **** and screw up the race for everyone. Good luck!

Good advice. When I did the Brum marathon the guy doing the pacing for 3:45 (8:35 mins per mile if run exactly to pace) was running under 8 minutes per mile, I stayed with him for a mile or 2 (I was aiming for under 4 hours) then realised I was struggling, looked at my watch and quickly worked out why.

By all means follow the pacer but I’d suggest a running watch and knowing your target pace is a better idea. I knew 9:09 mins per mile would get me bang on 4 hours, so if I looked at my watch and it read 8 something I knew I was fine.

MrSparkle

Did my first park run today. Hazlehead with glupton formerly of this parish before i welded up his car.

Had he upset you?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m doing Glasgow half too moonsaballoon, wife’s first half, aim is to pace her to sub 2hr, but the it’s her first so won’t push her. She’ll scoosh it anyway!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Did my first park run today. Hazlehead with glupton formerly of this parish before i welded up his car.

Had he upset you”

Far from it. Sill was rotten inside and out plus up the inner wheel arch. Lots of fabrication and welding. Not many folk would do that for a paying customer never mind as a favour for a mate.

Got out for another 6km tonight hr has decreased significantly for a given pace. Feeling comfortable running now. Calves are much less tight.

Going to enter the monikie winter duatblons I think

turboferret

31:55 for tonights 10,000m.  Blustery and solo, so not ideal conditions, and 20 seconds slower than the same distance I’ve done on the road, but good to get a time on the board.  A tiny bit disappointed if I’m honest as I certainly had a lot left in the tank at the finish, but should be able to go at least a minute quicker in a with some fast guys to pull me round.  Another pointer that things should go well in Bournemouth in 2 weeks time 🙂

Cheers, Rich

moonsaballoon

Good luck nobeer , to you and your mrs . hopefully were getting all the windy weather out the way this week and next week will be perfect conditions …..maybe 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Wasn’t feeling it yesterday after nights but did a 10km on/off road and got my pb of 48.18 nowt to most of you lot but I’m pleased:)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh I don’t know, that’s pretty good.

I’m still not running, that’s 6weeks and counting..🤒

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve finally decided to take some action and booked a physio appointment to try and solve my Achilles issues. I’m not sure they will solve it but it’s worth a go.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nice running turbo and others. Starting to think about getting fit here but there’s no rush… Next goal may be Ribble valley 10k at the end of the year.

corundum
    Free Member

Does anyone else suffer from ‘restless leg syndrome’ in bed (if indeed it is RLC) when trying to sleep? I’ve recently incorporated some ‘harder’ sessions into my training in an effort to increase speed but due to work commitments these have to occur in the evenings. Then post session meal, shower, stretch, rest an hour or so reading or tv then bed. As soon as i’m in bed the legs kick in, its like a constant tingle and need to move them or stretch, generally means broken sleep and knackered the next day. Starting to wonder if its worth it tbh, as i’m no racing snake and should just accept 45min 10ks.

matt_outandabout

Lovely run out on road and back along a frosty, glittering River Allan this morning.

I’m enjoying mix of riding and running at the moment.

firestarter
    Free Member

Went out for a steady one as my foot is a bit sore from my 10km pb the other day as I’m just starting up in new shoes. Ended up doing a half marathon pb of 1.53.11 so pleased but know I can do better.

I tried a gel at 10 miles and there is a climb about half mile after and I felt much better on that but it made me really thirsty so I’m going to have to try take a bit of fluid out I think. But it’s all a learning curve

Not been out on the bike apart from with the little lad in ages, even sold my jones spaceframe as it was hardly getting used. At least it gives me some funds for running stuff haha

thecaptain
    Free Member

First 2h run in a while today, really looking forward to the winter season. Won’t all be like today though, stunning in the Dales.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

First parkrun at the weekend, 25mins ish. Time to take this seriously now and safely build up the miles per week!

lunge

10 miles this weekend of which 3 was Parkrun, it was horrific. Didn’t want to go fast, and really didn’t, but it hurt like hell and my average heart rate was 192bpm, with a high of 201 (never worked out my max but I’m 38 so it can’t be far off max). That explained why it hurt, but it didn’t explain why it was so slow.

stever
    Free Member

First ever win for me this weekend! Little inter club relay in Delamere forest with a few local clubs. Four legs, 2 solos, 2 pairs one of which was a nav leg. Happy to piggyback on the speed of faster club mates but can vaguely handle a compass. Still, a win’s a win. Really nice, friendly event.

Spin
    Free Member

For the first time ever I won a trophy! It was for 1st vet40 at the Cairn William hill race. Unusual to have a trophy for that but it was a memorial for a runner who had died from a head injury sustained in the race.

Unfortunately, it was a fairly large wooden sculpture and I had arrived by bike so I couldn’t take it away with me. I did manage to take the bottle of wine and jar of honey though. 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Enjoyed a good weekend of running. On Saturday I managed my first top 10 finish at parkrun, finishing in 9th place, admittedly in a field of only 95…….!

Yesterday I ran I the Bristol half. This was my fifth half marathon having only completed my first in February and I finished in 1:49:01 which is my best yet. Really pleased with that.

In awe of the guys here running sub 20 minute 5ks , I’m still aiming for and will be over the moon with a sub 23. Hoping to achieve that goal in the next few weeks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good going on the half JGJ.  On your parkrun time, its no good comparing to others on here, as all parkrun are different. We have one locally that is dull as ****, but I’ll have a go at a sub 20 on it at some point. The ones I enjoy I’d really struggle to sub 21. Even at that, they’re not that hilly, there’s some tough wee parkrun courses out there!.

We love a bit of parkrun tourism, the wife and I, always try and look about for a local one when we’re away for the weekend, great way to start a Saturday.

lunge

On your parkrun time, its no good comparing to others on here, as all parkrun are different

Very true, part of the fun in many ways,.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You’re also on a bit of a hiding to nothing comparing yourself to other runners. There are always plenty who are faster, and plenty who are slower. If you keep at it you’ll get a bit quicker, until you start getting slower…the important thing is to enjoy it!

Not sure I really fancy a trophy for a dead fell-runner (I mean especially one who died in the event), but well done to Spin on winning it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.