Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 7,707 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

First run without purpose for ages. Not really training for anything, just went for a run. 8 miles, sunshine so I could get my top off, reasonable pace but more importantly it was just fun. Came back smiling like a loon, absolutely brilliant, really made me realise why I run.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Did my first Parkrun in five or six years at the weekend. The last one I did had no more than 100 runners there so it was a bit of a shock turning up on Saturday morning to see nearly 500 people getting ready to run!

I was hoping for something around 27 minutes so was fairly happy with my 25:25. I could have got a better time but I kept finding myself just settling in with slower groups rather than carrying on at my own pace. Starting near the back probably didn’t help things either.

Back out for a steady plod this morning and I#m hoping that the warm weather this week will dry things up near me as everywhere seems to be a horrible boggy mess at the moment.

stever
    Free Member

Run over Stanage in the rain at teatime. Consolation prize for the balmy evening’s bouldering I’d hoped for in the face of the forecast. The forecast was right. That thing about ‘things that don’t kill you, making you stronger’? Questionable.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did a 19k around QECP/Head Down on Sunday PM when the rain kicked in so altered my route into the forest more which meant lower pace and more climbing.. was a nice rattle around, but I’m getting a little bored of QECP these days so trying to limit the time spent there. Meeting up tomorrow at South Harting with two mates and plan is to do a “testing” climb up onto the Downs and back into the valley through Didling/Treyford and back.. should be two hours of squelch.. 🤦‍♀️

Spin
    Free Member

Last week was my first bigger week of training for the Bob Graham. Probably did a bit more than needed at this stage but it was the holidays and it’s much easier to get the miles in when you’re not working.

Many folk on here doing London?

surfer
    Free Member

@Spin

What is your training made up of for the BGR? I have always considered having a go but simply not having access to the ascents and descents has really put me off. Convinced my fitness (less so now) would have made it doable but at 53 I may be getting a bit too far past it 🙁

Edit: Sorry Spin went back and read what you posted earlier. Interesting your comments about it being a “walk” I think Billy Bland said as much.

Spin
    Free Member

Hey Surfer,

I did Charlie Ramsay’s Round in 2016 and my training consisted of building up to a peak of about 70-80 miles and more importantly about 6-7000m of climbing per week. I built up to this over a period of about 3 months then had a 2 week taper, it worked very well as I had no issues on the day. The key things for me were back to back long, very hilly runs over a weekend and also on a Friday evening once the nights got lighter. It’s worth noting though that I had a very good base of hill fitness from years of winter climbing and ski touring which I think is probably a better basis for a big round than being a runner. I also think that a longer period of less miles/climbing might suit some folks better but it all depends on your background.

My plan for the BG is similar but I’ve come on a bit in the last 2 years and I’d like a decent time so I’m going to include some races in my prep to keep my pace up.

I am lucky in that I live in Inverness and don’t have kids so getting the hilly miles in is less of an issue than for some people.

Plenty of folks in their 50s have done the BG I’m sure so go for it!

Spin
    Free Member

Actually, I’m talking pish. Just looked back at movescount and peak weeks pre CRR were more like 55 miles and 5-6000m and it seems I was generally doing that on one mid week run and 2 longer weekend ones. Fickle memory!

djglover
    Free Member

I’m doing the BG on 9th June. We did legs 4 and 5 plus the run out from Honister to Wasdale last weekend.  It was all clagged out but we did ok. https://www.strava.com/activities/1497303519.  Hoping for a sub 20hr round.  I think getting on the terrain is key for downhill conditioning. I belive the ascent can be trained for by cycling. Know a few top fell runner’s who do a lot of cycling.

sirromj

I’ve been sitting on the fence this week as to whether I should buy some Merrel Vapour Glove 3 shoes for running in.

I ran for a minute the other day in relatively minimal trainers (a pair of very flexible old low cut Vans), was ok but didn’t want to over do it as I haven’t run for well over two years.

Last time I ran I was a complete beginner, and it was only because I had fractured my wrist and couldn’t cycle. Gave myself shin splints and so gave up, but it’s one of those body movement things I feel I should be capable of doing.

I would rather spend less than what the Vapour Glove 3 cost, but I haven’t seen any others for less with as good a minimal heel as these.

oikeith

Went for my first run in 2months yesterday after getting an injury, injury still present, quite a bummer really, I even saw two different professionals to look at this injury to get it sorted. Back to the drawing board for me…sigh

surfer
    Free Member

Cheers Spin!

well done with Ramsay and best of luck with the BG

turboferret

London at the weekend is looking like it’s going to be a warm one 🙂

Taper time at the moment, although 50km in the first 3 days of the week probably isn’t everyone’s idea of a taper – couple of days off now I think.  Took the magic Vaporfly 4% shoes out for their virgin outing yesterday morning, felt relatively normal, not completely revolutionary, so we shall see if they have any effect on Sunday.  Goal is sub 2:30, will be trying to keep as close to 3:30km as possible, which allows for the GPS going a bit wonky a couple of times around docklands and the tunnels along the embankment.  Will be aiming not to do a Calum Hawkins :O

Cheers, Rich

surfer
    Free Member

Best of luck Rich I ran it in 96 although a bit slower than 2:30! It was a lovely spring/summers day, nothing unusual. A guy I run with still mentions the 96 heatwave like it was some unusual event that somehow binds us together!

I remember jogging the first 16 miles with mates then running the last 10 on my own “slightly” faster 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

Good luck TF – and anyone else racing/running this weekend.

I’m glad I got my marathon out of the way last weekend. I’m rubbish when the mercury rises so it would have probably been a lot slower or a disaster.

It only got up to 15 deg I think but that was enough for me.

matt_outandabout

This 🏃 in warm weather is rather interesting.

I’m sweating like a pig in a butchers.

Is this what summer running is like? It’s not even that sunny or hot here in Stirling either….

surfer
    Free Member

Love the Sun. Spent 2 weeks in Kos years ago and trained every day in the heat (July) came back and won the county 10k track champs on a hot day 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

@ Surfer – you’d done the conditioning and executed on the day – great work.

We never seem to get more than 2 days of heat* in South Yorkshire, so can never get enough conditioning in 🙂

* 20 degrees on a good day!!!

mogrim

I don’t stop here in Madrid in summer, although I do usually aim for higher up the mountains and start earlier than I would in winter. Temperatures usually run to 35C in July…

@surfer
    – I’ve not done the BG round, but I’ve done similar distance ultras. Make sure you do back-to-back runs, get used to running on tired legs. Maybe a shorter run on Friday (10k, say), then a decent long outing in the mountains on Saturday (30+K, 1800-2000m+). Then another short run on Sunday. Usual rules apply: train with whatever you’re planning on using on the big day. Poles would probably be a good idea, a backpack obviously, etc. etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beautiful day 💥☄️☄️

Finally met up with matyboy near Cocking and had a right old rattle in blistering sunshine and temps easily in the early 20’s.. sweating you say? Oh YES 🥊🥊🥊🥊 awesome.

What a difference a week makes eh.. last week sloppy rained out trails, today hard drypack and open views and vistas as far as the eyes can see.

Good luck everyone in the London Marathon, sadly won’t be waving you past my appt (as we’ve done in previous years) enjoy the Plod 👍

surfer
    Free Member

@surfer – I’ve not done the BG round, but I’ve done similar distance ultras. Make sure you do back-to-back runs, get used to running on tired legs. Maybe a shorter run on Friday (10k, say), then a decent long outing in the mountains on Saturday (30+K, 1800-2000m+). Then another short run on Sunday. Usual rules apply: train with whatever you’re planning on using on the big day. Poles would probably be a good idea, a backpack obviously, etc. etc.

Thanks Mogrim. Appetite for training has never been an issue, injuries have been 🙁

Also used to doing back to back runs (often ran twice a day in my youth) I think the poles may be a good idea, i am a bit of an Alf Tupper type but if I do have a go then I think I will need them for the descents.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thought I’d surprise the lads this morning with sprint intervals instead of the usual pyramids. Quads and hammies are singing their own song this afternoon. 😬

surfer
    Free Member

@DD have you raced yet to test the effectiveness of your early morning regime??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@surfer, you might have missed my infrequent posts (I even bloody name-checked you!). Started off the year with a porky 25.19 parkrun (flat – and I got badly held up at the back) and a week later parkrun (hilly) at Bristol was just under 25.

last parkrun (hilly) a few weeks ago was 23.14 and my last (strictly) timed flat 5k was down to 21.41 but hoping I’d have sped up a bit more since then. My running partner (who wasn’t entirely convinced when we started out) has knocked 5 mins off his HM and run his first sub 45 10k. It’s fair to say he’s convinced now  😀

We’ve had a new guy join us a few weeks ago and have been going easy on him – interestingly enough, we both remarked on how difficult it was to run more slowly to let him bed in. Even in 3-4 weeks, he’s already running faster now.

Next is to start mixing in some hill work and a bit more sprint stuff now that the mornings are brighter.

Again, thanks for the advice. It really has worked. Between 6 and 7 kg lost since beginning of the year as well – which probably helps with speed too.

surfer
    Free Member

Excellent, well done DD, significant gains 🙂 Sub 20 should be imminent!

matt_outandabout

Can we talk groins?

After solving the painful top of foot issue (slacker shoes), I am now having a niggly ache down inner groin. I am being rubbish at stretching – any suggestions for a few stretches post run to help this issue?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tried a roller ball thingy?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I agree about foam roller. You can also use a tennis ball for piriformis, IT band which I have found causes groin issues when its tight. Easiest stretch is to sit with a straight back and heals together, bringing them up by pulling them with your hands to your groin until you feel a bit of tension then hold for 30 secs.

Digby

any suggestions for a few stretches post run to help this issue?

Oh dear … the ‘Stretching Police’ will be along shortly telling you that all stretching is a ‘myth’ … 😉

You can also use a tennis ball

personally I prefer a ‘lacrosse’ ball to a tennis ball, as they don’t squish quite as easily!

matt_outandabout

OK, so colleague just walked into the office to discover yours truly behind a table going for this move, only it seems a 44 year old chubster bloke doing it in work office is ‘surprising’….

thecaptain
    Free Member

turbo, I’ll be very interested to hear your views on the magic shoes (and results!), I’m probably going to spring for a pair now they are on sale again.

theotherjonv

it seems a 44 year old chubster bloke doing it in work office is ‘surprising’

It was more the bum sculpting leggings and strappy top, tbh.

matt_outandabout

Strappy top? What top…?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m a very infrequent runner these days, effectively told to stop running over ten years ago by an ortho surgeon which is why i got into mtb more.  However, my left knee has been feeling stronger these last couple of years after taking Glucosomine Sulphate for about 4 years now.  So every now and then I go for a gentle 3-4 miles just to enjoy running.

However, a few weeks back I went out after quite a break, I plodded along for 4 miles and later in the day was feeling it a little in my legs but nothing unremarkable.  I sat down on the sofa and something immediately above my right knee sounded like it snapped!  Seriously it was a loud snapping noise!   So afterwards it was sore and worse walking down stairs.  Needless to say Ive rested it for a long while, but when I least expect it, it goes when walking downstairs and is bloody painful.  It then reverts to being sore and then okay.

I reckon its the tendons/ligaments that attach the muscle to the bone, so not sure theres anything I can do but rest it.  I’m approaching 57, so clearly healing is slowing down!  Any thoughts would be welcome.

EDit:  I ran the 97 Marathon with 2 days notice when a friend dropped out!  Good luck to all running tomoz….remember, you can always go faster in the last five miles if you are able, until then keep it steady.  One can get carried away on the day……literally! 🙂

turboferret

Captain, where are you seeing the Vaporfly 4% available?  I ended up paying somewhat over the odds via eBay….

Despite historically doing quite well in the heat, I’m not too upset that it’s supposed to be a little cooler than originally expected on Sunday, although this means I don’t have any ready-made excuses!

Cheers, Rich

thecaptain
    Free Member

turbo, they are just out again. sportsdirect.com have them but I’m sure they will be all over the place soon. I saw a news article flagging it up a week or two ago.

lunge

Nice and lazy 4 miles to collect a car this morning. Morning sun is soooooo nice to run it, felt bloody lovely out and about. Nice smiling like a loon that the 3 hour drive I have to a wedding now will be done with miles in the legs.

turboferret

Captain, splendid, thanks for that, depending on how tomorrow goes I might pre-emptively get another pair at a slightly more sensible price!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought a foam roller off eBay for £5, it’s still in shape 3yrs later. I don’t use it that often though, but it has helped “ease” the muscles .. might be worth a punt.

WildHunter2009

At my parents for the weekend building fences so was a tourist at the Henley park run this morning. Good fun cross country course with a nasty hill. Got all excited about being first in my age category till I realized I was the only one in it 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 7,707 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.