• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Anybody else waiting for their London marathon ballot rejection email today?! 😁

16 years in a row here, might be 17. Should’ve spent that time training super hard and getting GFA entry!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I keep wondering if I should do London but it’s a lot more hassle than Manchester for me, bigger transport and accommodation costs. Is it really worth it? I can have a GFA place if I want (but not champs start, that ship has surely sailed).

alanf
    Free Member

Is London worth doing?
    Yes, definitely worth doing for the crowds alone.
    If you can get a GFA place then do it, many people would never get the opportunity these days.
    I’ve done it twice and would do it again given the chance.
    Last year was a DNS due to pulling calf at parkrun the day before and no roll over for champs places.

marksnook
    Free Member

Had a disaster snowboarding last week and have fractured a rib, besides the pain I’m really gutted that I can’t run!
    I planned to start ramping up my training over the next few months. Ultra is end of June. Which by my calculation is about 14 weeks away. Crazy worried I’m going to be out forn6 weeks with the rib then not have enough time to train. Mileage was about 25-30 before holiday.
    Anyone done the rib thing and how was the recovery to training again? Also worried that as a stonemason all the heavy lifting will slow recovery

marioo22
    Free Member

I’m nearing the end of bulking season so I’m planning on digging out my running shoes again soon. Does anybody else both look forward to running again and not look forward to running again after a hiatus? I probably just need to commit for a couple weeks and then I’m back in the rhythm.

lunge

Does anybody else both look forward to running again and not look forward to running again after a hiatus?

I don’t need a hiatus to feel like that, I feel like it most days!
    Today the sun is shining and I should be able to sneak off for some trails before it gets dark. Sunny trail running is one of my favourite things in the world. But my legs are tired and I know it’ll be hard work as the trails are hilly.
    I’ve got a half on Sunday, it’s a course I know and love, I’m feeling fit and should be on for a good time. But, it’ll be hard work and the last few miles will be painful. Maybe I’ll give my place away…

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyone done the rib thing and how was the recovery to training again?

It’s normally about 12 weeks I am afraid. I lost the best part of 2020 season to it.

lunge

How on earth do people test race packs?
    Ordered a couple for an upcoming event, one from Ultimate Direction, one from Harrier.
    Both feel fine when stood in my spare room and doing some on the spot jogging, but I can’t fill the bottles or do any distance in them to see what it feel like loaded up.
    I think I’ve been spoilt buying shoes from Nike when I can run in them and send them back if I don’t like them (see my recent Streakfly purchase).

lunge

PB!!!
    After 5 years running, it appears I’ve finally nailed how to be in top condition for a race.
    Stafford half on Sunday, managed a 1:24, a 3 minute PB which was wholly unexpected.
    The perfect prep appears to be:
    Standard week of training Monday to Friday including a really hard 10 mile club run on Wednesday.
    12 miles up to parkrun on Saturday, a 19 minute parkrun, and 4 more miles into Birmingham for breakfast. This took my weekly mileage to 65 miles with 1 day to go. The afternoon consisted of a 4 mile walk with Mrs Lunge and 4 pints in the evening.
    So, perfect prep seems to involve no taper, tired legs and 4 pints.

Related, I feel like I’m in the perfect place for a fast spring marathon, which is a shame as I’ve no got one in the diary until October and have an ultra in May. May enter MK marathon on a whim and see what happens.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not as impressive as you Lunge (well done on that), but my rehab seems to be going well – a rather slow (9.45 mile pace) four mile run on Sunday but positively I suffered no ill effects so will crack on with upping my distance and regularity and try to get a decent season in for once.

surfer
    Free Member

So, perfect prep seems to involve no taper, tired legs and 4 pints.

6 pints would be optimum 🙂

Rest is overrated. When you are in good shape you can pack in quite hard training and even back to back races for a period. Obviously need to back off and re-group periodically but I have ran (and won) races on consecutive days and actually felt better as the hard sessions accumulated. Then a period of rest to avoid injury/exhaustion. These were short races on 5 consecutive days during a series. Obvs not recommending for longer events.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I know STW is no substitute for medical advice but any tips? My left Achilles tendon is in quite a bit of pain, obviously aggravated by running. I stretch it constantly but any large run and it comes back. I guess a period of rest but I’m wanting to up my training for the fell racing season

surfer
    Free Member

I stretch it constantly

I would never stretch it. You cant stretch it anyway. Depending on where the pain is the Alfredson protocol https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-alfredson-protocol-for-achilles-tendonitis-2696560 method may be helpful. Achilles injuries can be one of a few running injuries that actually dont benefit much from rest and with careful management can improve even whilst you are training IME. You should reduce your training and avoid the things that make it worse, speed sessions/hills. Also Ice is very helpful (avoid NSAIDS) and always try to keep it moving dont sit still for too long as it stiffens and becomes more painful.

lunge

My left Achilles tendon is in quite a bit of pain, obviously aggravated by running

Heel drops and heel raises on the stairs really helped mine. Make them slow, 10 seconds up, 10 down, sets of 15 or so. If you need to use the other leg to help with the raises and do the lowers with one leg.

Over time, add some more dynamic movement into things, hopping is good, as is stepping of a small step and landing on the foot with a bad Achilles.

Stretching is questionable in it’s usage.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes heel drops etc but it’s a bit of a lottery how much you improve and my wife can only run occasionally and for short distances (up to about 5k, 10 is a stretch). Which is sort of ok but a bit limiting.

Done my last big Sunday run, just two weeks of tapering to go. Got an annoying cough which should fade but doesn’t seem to affect running anyway. Think I’m a bit undertrained but when I last did a marathon I was also poorly prepared and still managed a respectable time just 5 mins off my best. So I’m hoping to not embarrass myself.

johndoh
    Free Member

You cant stretch it anyway.

Yet the second sentence in the article you link to says…

The exercises stretch your Achilles tendon in ways that help it handle forces and stress better.

😉

fingerbang
    Free Member

Cheers for replies, by stretching I meant the heel raise drops like on alfredson protocol. I’ve just tried that and it’s a lot harder and intensive than I’ve been doing, and includes bent leg exercises.

I’ll keep that up, it’s probably here to stay at my age. Mitigation is the new reality

surfer
    Free Member

Yet the second sentence in the article you link to says…

I think it is really saying “loading”. you are weighting the leg then lowering over the step. No attempt to stretch/elongate/lengthen the tendon. You are trying to load and stress it to trigger a healing response.

lunge

Lunge’s semi-regular shoe reviews return with a few purchases and a few updates. Probably no interest to anyone, but here we go anyway.

Recent purchases:
    Nike Terra Kiger 7. Low cushioned trail shoe, pleasant to run on in most conditions where there’s some give under foot and fits well. Terrible on wet rock and not great on any paved surface either. It’s fine for winter trail work but much better options are there for when it dries up. Luckily I only paid £65 for them.

Nike Streakfly. Super hyped fast shoe for a 5/10k PB that ShoeTubers seem to love. It was hard to get hold of but is a hard no from me. The upper and the lacing were bang average, poor fit overall and just didn’t feel in any way special. They ran OK, but nothing more than that, not inspiring like a Vaporfly, just felt like a fast training shoe that fitted badly. These went back to Nike.

Adidas Adios 6. Slimmed down tempo shoe. Very nice shoe that I picked up at a bargain price. Not super cushioned and perfectly good at a lower pace, but they really light up when you speed up. Also have incredible grip, perfect for winter fast runs. Really like these.

Adidas Adios 5. Picked up for £35 at the Adidas outlet in an offensive yellow colour. Unsurprisingly similar to the 6, but with a bit more cushion. and a bit more weight. Marginally better for slower runs but still happy at pace. Adidas mid-soles always seem firm to me but really work when you put some effort in.

Nike Invincible. Like cushions on your feet. These are, for me at least, a damn near perfect recovery shoe. They’re super soft and cushioned and are really comfortable. The downside is that they’re also really heavy and quite unstable at any kind of speed. Stick to easy paces on easy days and they’ll do a right job.

Reebok Floatride Energy 4. I’d heard rumours of these being a great daily shoe for very little money, and I can see that. But, for me the upper was to high volume and not quite wide enough for me. Felt pretty good under foot though, so I reckon these’d be lovely shoes if they fit your feet.

Rediscoveries:
    Nike Pegasus 38. I’ve always sworn by the 36 but having finally worn out my last pair, I dug out the 38’s that I’d done a few runs in and not liked. It would appear I was premature. They’re a bit heavier than the 36’s, but perhaps needed wearing in a bit, the midsole is getting softer every run and I starting to quite like them.

Nike Pegasus Trail 3. Please Nike, fix the outsoles on your trail shoes. These are actually a very good summer trail shoe, dusty and damp trails are what it does really well, but add in much mud or anything technical and they’re not so good. Having not enjoyed them all winter, I’ve worn then 3 times this week now the sun is out.

Adidas SL20. Loved these last year and picked up a new pair for £32 from TK Maxx of all places. They’re a very basic tempo shoe, quite light, thin tongue and firm midsole, but by gosh they are good once they get moving. I’ve worn there for fast club runs all winter and they have been spot on. But they are another Adidas shoe that’s not great going slowly.

dashed
    Free Member

Sheffield half for me on Sunday – don’t think I’ve ever done a half on the road before. Proper niggling hamstring too so it’s been a light week for running in the hope it’ll get me round. Definitely not pushing for a fast time (even by my standards!) unless it feels much better on sunday. Bloody hilly course though so not a one for any records anyway

alanf
    Free Member

@Lunge – glad to hear the Adios 6’s are good. They have been my go to shoe since the 2’s. I’m still working through the last of my 5’s so I see some 6’s on the horizon. Also using some Boston 10’s at the moment for longer runs but I’m yet to be convinced by them. My feet just don’t seem to fully agree with them.
    Oh and great effort for your half PB, I always seem to run/race better off high mileage.

cat69uk
    Free Member

@Lunge I’m struggling with the Adios 6, probably because I am too slow! Will retry as only done about 20 miles in them. I love the Floatride 3, done about 300 miles and been just a good solid shoe at a great price. Will get the 4’s soon to replace the 3. £52 quid with regular discount, cannot be had.

mogrim

@marksnook

Anyone done the rib thing and how was the recovery to training again? Also worried that as a stonemason all the heavy lifting will slow recovery

I got hit by a car while on my road bike less than a month before my “A” race last year, and also bruised my ribs. Looking back at Strava, I took the first week off, before a few shorter runs the following weeks. I probably could have done more but by that point I was tapering anyway. The night before the ultra it was still uncomfortable for sleeping, but I still made it to the start line. DNF on the ultra, but that was due to a knee problem and nothing to do with my ribs 🙄

TL;DR: take a week off, ease back into it, and you should be running again fairly soon.

lunge

I’m struggling with the Adios 6, probably because I am too slow!

@cat69uk
    , they’re definitely better at pace, but I also think they soften a touch with some miles in them. They are bloody loud though.

marksnook
    Free Member

Cheers @mogrim
    I had around a week and a half off and have done a couple short runs this week (3/4 miles)
    There is a little rib pain for the first mile then it eases. It hurts a good bit after the run though!
    I’ve got a session with a running coach Tuesday 29th March so hoping that isn’t too bad. Planning a day out in the hills 😂
    The ultra is a end of June so I need to start proper training really
    I haven’t had my ribs looked at properly. Paramedic over the road took an educated guess at separated bottom rib. I can’t imagine I could do much damage by running?!!

dashed
    Free Member

Sheffield half for me yesterday. Not at my best as I’ve been struggling with a really sore hamstring (which actually eased off after about 5 miles). Plus I’d done no real training for it other than running on the moors in the mornings with the dogs, generally around the 5-10k mark! Not run on the roads for about 18 months.

Brutal course – 330m of climbing, virtually all of which is continuous and in the first half. I wanted under 2hrs and finished with 1:54 so that will do. Can’t say it’s an impressive time, but pleased to get around as I nearly pulled out earlier last week due to the hamstring.

lunge

Great running @dashed, that’s a good amount of climbing so that is a very respectable time, particularly off no training. Strong.

Keva
    Free Member

Quite pleased with the way my running has come along recently. I’ve not run properly for ten years or more but have been able to find my running legs again recently without getting stupid injuries. The bike has taken a back seat for time being.
    I’ve been doing a Sunday run of between 8-9 miles and a midweek run between about 4-6 miles, both runs all as much trail/off road as possible, and a 1hr PT session. Still riding about 30miles a week on the SS going back and forth to work. Times are starting to get better with a 52min 10k and 1hr 15min for an 8.5miler yesterday. Some of the trails have been pretty hard going in the weeks just gone by, running through quagmire bogs and one bit I was knee deep in flood water for about 10metres! The ground is starting to dry up a bit now though but still fine myself planting my feet ankle deep in mud through few sections. It does seem a lot harder than riding the bike and the pain in my legs sometimes running up hills, jeez!!
    The good thing is I feel much better and I seem to be sleeping much better, straight through the night without waking up and taking ages to drop off again.

surfer
    Free Member

The regional road relays over the weekend. The Northern was at Birkenhead Park. My club qualified easily in 10th place overall and at 57 I was pleased to get a run in the B team. Pretty mediocre run from me as expected but I didnt disgrace myself and our B team came in 35th overall (I picked up 2 places on my leg :-)). All in all a great days racing in great weather. Some fantastic talent on display.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@lunge. Some great running there!

I’ve been off-thread for a bit so just catching up. Keep at it all.

Nothing major here but came third out of 261 at market harborough parkrun. 4 seconds off my pb with a 19:19. I shot off the start like a rocket, like you have to at Nonsuch or you get trampled. Looked around and nobody was there! Great feeling leading for a bit.

Did 21 minute pacing at Nonsuch last Saturday. Brilliant fun. Sutton runners had pacers from 19 minutes all way up to 40 mins. Great turnout.

I did the Fox Ultra 62km last September. Really wanted to do the spring edition this Saturday the 2nd April, but thought I’d be busy. Turns out I’ve got a free day and I am massively tempted to push the button despite having no long runs in my legs. Wife has offered to scoop me if a collapse and I can walk the hills. What could go wrong????

thecaptain
    Free Member

Good to see some out and racing and enjoying it.

Full on taper time here, just a few days to go and it looks like this nasty weather will blow though and give us a perfect day for Manchester Marathon on Sunday.

Better break out the alphafly for a couple of jogs. I have worn them once already, a few weeks ago for a half which went pretty well (1 minute course PB for me) so am not worried about adapting. I’ve also been using some old vaporfly and next% for occasional training runs and they all feel much the same to me.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Garmin maps – Is there a way of recalibrating a route midrun if you decide to miss out a section? Say it was a figure of 8 and you decided to do half – can it reset so the arrow points correctly?
    Fenix 6 if it helps.
    Thanks

Keva
    Free Member

Just entered my first 10k for 12years, Mortimer 10k on Easter Monday. Last one I did was Swinley 2010. I got injured in Sept 2011 just before the Highclere 10k and that was the last time I actually ran properly, never did get back to regular running all this time except for the odd 2-3miler. Have set myself a goal of 50min for this one as my last weeks 10k was 52min during a slightly longer run. Tbh I’ll be happy with 52 or 51 though.

lunge

PSA, Vaporfly’s are £140 on the Nike app if you’re a member. Version 1, but the only change between that and version 2 if the upper (I prefer the upper on V1). Clearly not a cheap shoe, but a very good price nonetheless.

mogrim

Ultra done – it was the Ultra Sierra Nevada, just under 100km heading out from Granada up to the local ski resort in Pradollano, from there up to the top of the 3000m Veleta mountain and back down again. It was a bit of a weird race: the first 62km were very fast (by ultra standards), and we covered them in around 9 hours; the next 35km took about the same again! As you can probably guess the terrain changed a fair bit in the second bit, and included a final 6km trudging 900m up a snowy mountain in crampons, all the while wondering whether the skiers and snowboarders would hit you or not… fortunately they were more or less had it under control, and their frequent shouts of encouragement certainly lifted our spirits as we made our way to the top. 5km of slipping and sliding got us to the finish line, and job done:

usn 22

usn 22

usn 22

A successful race, and I’m quite pleased with my time (finished 52/250 starters, 216 finishers), but not one I think I’ll do again. The first half was too easy, with a lot of fireroad and not much technical fun. The second half was better, but tbh the slog up a snowy mountain was more of a drag than a challenge, and I spent more time looking at my feet than enjoying the view. Still, it’s a race that’s been going for a few years here and one I’ve long thought about doing, and despite not being the most fun race I’ve ever done it was still good, and I’ve enjoyed the weekend.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Fair play @mogrim. That’s some effort and the scenery looks epic too. One to add to the long list of races I must try

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sounds like a big day out.

Manchester mara was a bit disappointing but ended sort of ok-ish for me today, almost binned it at 30k but realised I might as well jog back to the finish anyway, and once the “racing” pressure was off I found I could keep a reasonable pace. 2:53 having gone through halfway in 1:23 (which with hindsight was a bit stupid as I was really aiming for just under 2:50).

Having not done a proper marathon since Mancs 2019, I think it was the lack of recent practice that let me down as much as anything. Also I didn’t really know where I was at, performance-wise, having not done many spring races.

A big strong field with Johnny Mellor setting a new record for the event (I think) of 2:10. I was 27th V50 which is the lowest placing I’ve had, much lower than when I previously did 2:54 as a V45!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

PSA: garmin Fenix 6x pro on Amazon for £340

@mogrim
    – looks amazing. Top work.

@thecaptain
    – top effort! Still super fast and it’s all about enjoying it IMHO.

I completed my 2nd 62km Fox Ultra on Saturday. A fantastic event starting and finishing in Godalming and looping around Guildford. Ant-clockwise this time with the bigger hills in the first third. 15 minute pb in 7:30 for what it’s worth.
    Took it easy, kept the heart rate low, walked the hills, enjoyed it so much I was laughing audibly at times.
    Only entered 4 days before with nonspecific training and 30-40km weeeks. Only started really hurting at 55km but that could have been psychological. Legs a bit shredded on Sunday but coming back today.
    Great event and great people. A gateway ultra. I want to do a 50 miler now.

Keep at it people!

lunge

That’s still a very, very good run @thecaptain, in fact 2:53 when it’s gone wrong is very impressive.

@root-n-5th
    , sounds like an interesting event, awesome work.

johndoh
    Free Member

Still really struggling with getting any kind of decent pace, but I did manage a nice 3 mile run in the sun on Saturday (then there was an almighty hail storm just after I got home) as part of my rehabilitation.

Legs feel sore today though 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.