Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • piemonster

Looks like a decent route, I’ve always quite liked the North Pennines, quiet, empty, boggy and miles of tussocks.

piemonster

Not sure what I’m doing this weekend, weather may make going for a 20 miler somewhat laborious and may take a punt on Wednesday next week for that run. Heavy rain and strong winds all day Saturday,  strong winds and low temps Sunday. But then, the long range for Wednesday next week isnt great either so I could easily end up low level somewhere just to get the time on my feet. Almost feels like cheating to do something without lots of climbing.

Think I’ve also settled on getting a Polar Grit X, I’m reluctant to buy another Garmin as I’ve bee disappointed by all 3 products I’ve had from them,  Forerunner 310XT (which was actually the least annoying), Forerunner 225 (which never syncs to my phone so have to plug it into my laptop, plus I can only get the charger to stay on with electrical tape), Oregon 700 (which syncs perfectly but I’ve never achieved the battery life a friend gets despite copying his settings and using the same batteries). Plus, my main battle on long efforts is eating/drinking, and I’m tempted by the adaptive fuelling wotsit along with some basic back up nav features.

piemonster

If anyone sees a good price on a Montane Minimus Stretch (large) let me know.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Start Fitness LOVE10 gets 10% off at the moment. Just bought my first running pack, went for the Innov8 race ultra pro 5. Sick of looking at every review know to man on Salomon, OMM etc.. Hoping it serves me well for the Allendale Challenge and whatever else I sign up for.

TimP
    Free Member

I haven’t run for about 10years due to various injuries and other training stuff to be getting on with, but it’s reached the point where my daughter is in the cross country team and I can’t face being a dad cycling while she runs next to me.

So I bought some mega expensive running shoes and logged into the Garmin couch to 5km run with a hope to be able to do a 5km on March 12. I am lucky enough that we have a treadmill at home so I’ve been doing it all on that, but somehow after my last run I recalibrated so by the time I finished my 4.8km run on the watch is done 7.1km on the treadmill. I’m not breaking records but I’m pretty pleased to be this far in without breaking down and to be able to run for 55mins without stopping. Gonna be sore in the morning (already sore!), but going to bed pretty pleased with myself.

Wife doesn’t give a crap so come on here to “brag” 😂

sirromj

Running is tough! I started from nothing almost two years ago. Late last summer I attempted a 10 mile run (but lost the footpath in a ploughed field and much trudging ensued), and got a 5k in under 22 minutes at my first park run. Then this Winter I’ve been struggling below the knees. The discomfort in shins/calves/ankles no longer lasts long after the run (like it used to when I started) but seems to come on quite easily during. Currently trying shorter runs around 10 minutes, but more frequently – 2 days on, 1 day off. Probably will turn out to be too much as well, but hoping not!

alanf
    Free Member

I did my first proper race (done a couple of local cross countries back end of last year) since my London debacle/fail/non-starter calf injury. I am obviously race rusty. My mate persuaded me to do the Stamford Valentines 30K last Sunday. It was pretty windy (well very windy) and it rained for much of the last part of the race. I felt comfortable at the start but clearly went out way too fast and struggled a bit towards the end, but it was a good challenge to push to the finish and come in first V45 and average under 6min/m after such a long layoff (about 5 months). Clearly I have some work to do on race craft and managing my effort, but fairly pleased with getting back out there.
    The course was also a tough roller coaster without the added hinderance of the weather. I need to decide if I am going to do a spring marathon now and also what is available and not completely booked out.

edward2000
    Free Member

Ignore – wrong forum

dashed
    Free Member

Allendale Challenge! That takes me back. I walked it with an ex back in around 1992ish. I didn’t realise it was still going. Hmmmmmm 😉

lunge

That is a rapid comeback @alanf.

If anyone doing the national XC race at Parliament hill next weekend. We’ve got a small group going down from our club, the talk of train beers suggests we won’t be troubling the pointy end…

turboferret

@lunge I’ll be there.  First time ever running the Nationals – raced at Parliament Hill a few times, London champs and Southern champs, so looking forward to lots of rolling terrain and mud!

Unfortunately the last round of the Surrey League XC has been cancelled today due to lots of damaged trees and dangerous branches at the venue which is disappointing.  We were looking to claim the title for only the 3rd time, and with a crazy lead in the points it was going to be emphatic, so a bit of an anticlimax.  Went out for a 20 miler this morning instead, and for the first time since Country to Capital took fluids, which I threw up after 16 miles… Clearly need a bit more practice, don’t want that to happen during the 100k race in April 😮

lunge

A textbook XC race this afternoon. Off course distance, mud with the consistency of porridge, masses of standing water and a rank headwind.
    Tough run that was.

piemonster

Anyone want a free Forerunner 225, doesnt quite have the battery life I need, charging connector needs electrical tape to hold it in place, never syncs via Bluetooth so I plug it into a laptop. You may have more luck with connectivity.

I say free, I mean just postage costs.

cat69uk
    Free Member

7.5 mile sunny saturday, then 7.7 mile in gales, & rain Sunday round Hexham. Ankle deep streams on the back country lanes, thank the lord for merino socks!

TimP
    Free Member

Up to 7km today. Don’t get how you guys can run further! Was absolute toast by the end 😃

sirromj

I’m currently a big fan of little and often at the moment.

A couple of weeks back, due to experiencing lots of lower leg & ankle discomfort, I mentioned my intention to try out short ten minute runs, two days on, one day off. It’s been going well.

I was just too inconsistent last year, got my first 10k in February, then several over the course of the year, but when I tried to be more consistent in November/December with two to three runs per week, expecting to still be able to do 4 miles each time, it was a big struggle and felt like a big set back.

And to be honest, it’s almost the best bit, it saves sooooo much time and energy for other things 😀

But I’m enjoying it now and rather than forcing myself to go for a run, I want to, my body wants to. It’s been tempting to try more days on and less days off, but I’ve decided to go for a minimum of 15 minutes instead.

johndoh
    Free Member

Finally back to running so finally back to this thread – after doing well and upping my mileage in early December I succumbed to a really bad cold that I couldn’t shake then various other things conspired to stop me from getting out (including lack of enthusiasm). Anyway, I am back on the fitness trail with two spin classes last week and a 2 mile run at the weekend which kinda hurt (as I would expect after 12 weeks out) but still managed a hilly course at 9.15 mile pace so I’ll be back out again this week and again at the weekend. Here’s to some drier and warmer weather!

lunge

Welcome back to running everyone, always love running this time of year, it feels like you’ve earned some good runs by slogging through the winter months.

What events and goals have people got planned for this year?

crewlie

Signing up for the Ormidale 10k here on Arran in April.Then maybe the Goatfell race, if it goes ahead in May, just to have done it before I’m too old 😉

cat69uk
    Free Member

Ran every day in Feb, covering 115 miles. Had first few days of March off and did a 20 miler on Sunday. Legs were battered but managed a nice 5 mile walk Sunday. Back at it tonight, see how i feel. Allendale Challenge first weekend April, after that not sure what else to enter yet.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi everyone, did my first fell race on Sunday – Ilkley Moor. I absolutely hated it halfway through as I just wanted to stop for a bit and catch my breath but carried on, got in just outside the top third so not too bad result. It was only 5 miles but it had tonnes of gradient and tech and was much much harder than I imagined. I was blowing out my arse

As with all these things, no matter how punishing it is its still a massive buzz and you feel great when its over. I loved the whole experience and was chatting to a teammate at the finish about how it compares to MTB races – favourably – the value for money is amazing and you still get a proper race buzz.

In the nicest possible way, the fell racing community are a bunch of nutters from all walks of life. Just great fun to be around. Everyone’s really nice and a lot more ladies than MTB – which is great

I’m planning on doing as much racing as possible this year but in the 5- 15 mile range due to knee niggles. I think the next race for me is Rivvy Pike in April but there’s quite a few mid week races throughout the season near me (north lancs/Barlick)

Love it!

dashed
    Free Member

Agree with lunge – I love running this time of year; even more so when the leaves come out on the trees and spring arrives properly. Most of my running is done in the mornings before work or family time and that’s meant in the dark with a headtorch for the last few month. Been some pretty bleak and brutal ones across the Peak District moorland at 0630!

But had my first few headtorch-free runs already and so much more enjoyable. Throw in a good sunrise and a wildlife encounters and it just sets you up for the day!

I was about to type “no big goals for me this year” then remembered I want to do the Edale Skyline route and also the Abrahams Tea Round (Lakes) this spring. Both of those will be epic by my normal 10k ish standards! Sheffield half in a couple of weeks to get out of the way first though.

stox
    Free Member

What events and goals have people got planned for this year?

Edinburgh marathon. Just started week 4 of my 15 week plan. So far so good. Looking to improve on my (pretty comfortable) York 2018 time of 3:18 and run <3:05

lunge

But had my first few headtorch-free runs already and so much more enjoyable. Throw in a good sunrise and a wildlife encounters and it just sets you up for the day!

I’m generally an after work runner and have had the same, it’s starting to feel like I can get an hour in after work without staying on the roads or getting the headtorch out. Club runs will soon be off road as well.

flyingmonkeycorps

I realised the other day that I think I might be a runner now. A rubbish one, but still.

I’ve always though of myself as a mountain biker that does a bit of running to help fitness, but I think I’ve been out on the bike twice this year so far, and I’ve run two or three times at least most weeks.

Big thing though is that I’ve found myself really looking forward to runs, and going out for the sheer joy of it instead of suffering round telling myself that it’s good for me. Moving somewhere with nice routes out the door has definitely helped.

Not fast or far (certainly not by the standards on here – 10k in an hour kinda level) but I’m loving it.

So thanks running thread folks, you’ve helped me fill an MTB sized gap with something I now enjoy almost as much.

Oh – as for aims, nope! I’ve decided I’m not fussed about training, or goals, or getting better – I’m just gonna run for fun and see where I end up.

piemonster

I realised the other day that I think I might be a runner now. A rubbish one, but still.

It’s not about who is going the fastest, bit who is having the most “fun”

I’m hopeful of getting a 20+ miler done in the Ochils this weekend, trying to set myself up for the long Munro days in the spring. Hopefully tomorrow and hopefully the rain forecast isnt too bad.

piemonster

Oh – as for aims, nope! I’ve decided I’m not fussed about training, or goals, or getting better – I’m just gonna run for fun and see where I end up.

Go with what works for you. I’ve not done an event since 2012, and have no intention of doing another one in at least the next decade. Nothing like other people to ruin a day out 😝

highlandman
    Free Member

This year- same as most (normal) years: providing medical cover at around 15 Scottish ultras, starting with the D33 this coming weekend. Aside from all the usual races, there are a couple of new ones for me; the Orkney Backyard in June and the Highlander- Last One Standing backyard at Blair Atholl in July, the final in the home nations series. I’ve booked a couple of extra days off to follow that weekend, as the format means we may run on for a few days…

As for running myself, no events as such but a couple of mini epics planned, including a Cairngorms double crossing with a pal, Linn of Dee to Glenmore Lodge and back as an overnighter. Routes dependant on weather; if it’s good enough, over the tops northbound and back on the Lairig an Laoigh.

mogrim

I’ve got my first ultra of the year coming up in about 3 weeks, a 100km race from the centre of Granada up to the local ski resort. Going with some mates so should be good. Then I’m signed up to a 100 mile race in the Basque Country in July, main problem there is that there’s a serious risk it’ll be the same weekend as my daughter’s uni graduation ceremony in London, and SWMBO has made it clear what my priorities are 🙄

lunge

Main goals this year for me are a 40 mile ultra in May and Snowdon Marathon in October. I’d like to do a fast half at some point too and am debating doing a flat marathon in September as well if I don’t get into London.
    Kind of splitting my year 3:
    Up to May is going long and slow.
    Early summer is short and fast.
    Late summer/autumn is hills.
    Looking forward to a big year ahead.

flyingmonkeycorps

Go with what works for you. I’ve not done an event since 2012, and have no intention of doing another one in at least the next decade. Nothing like other people to ruin a day out 😝

Oh I plan to! I really like solo running, it’s good headspace time for an hour or so.

TimP
    Free Member

Main aim was for a sub 25 parkrun. Attempted my first one ever on Saturday and made about 5-600m before pulling up with a torn calf muscle. Back to the drawing board…

Pretty frustrating having done a reasonable amount of training and was feeling pretty good in general, but on the day I was 50:50 about doing it (due to lack of enthusiasm rather than injury worries). I wasn’t going faster than I have been before, no real reason that I can tell that it went pop, but it’s pretty sore.

dander

Main aim was 1000 miles for the year, small beer compared to some on here, ahead of target but been hit by covid so had a fortnight off. Hopefully get some easy jogs in a couple of days and build up again from there.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Managed a 1 min PB on Haweswater half last weekend (a little disappointed to only be 2nd V50 but that can always happen, there are plenty of quicker vets around…), Manchester Marathon next up at the start of April. Not sure I’m ready for it but I always feel that way three weeks out!

mogrim

3 weeks out from this year’s first ultra, so obviously a bit of going up a mountain was in order. It was pissing down all night, with a terrible forecast, and I have to admit I wasn’t feeling particularly enthusiastic when the alarm went off. But the forecasters got it wrong, and it was a gorgeous day 🙂

Abantos

Abantos, flying

piemonster

I think I got your bad weather instead Mogrim, 30-40mph steady head winds for several hours with lashings of heavy rain, glad to have got out anyway, 23 miles/6250ft in the legs for another day. Think I’ll push out another long run to 25m/7000ft locally and I should be set for some good days out in the Highlands.

****** brightened up as soon as I got back to the van as well.

mogrim

FWIW we’ve got rain forecast all week. TBH I hope they get it right this time, we need the rain. It’s very parched and brown out, and the reservoirs aren’t anything like as full as they should be.

stox
    Free Member

Anybody else waiting for their London marathon ballot rejection email today?! 😁

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep – yet another rejection – I think that’s about 12 years in a row now. 🙁

lunge

Anybody else waiting for their London marathon ballot rejection email today?!

Mine just arrived, no surprise at all. Just need to decide if I can get hold of the place we get with the club or I need to find another option.
    Mrs Lunge has banned me from entering any marathons this year (unless I got into London) so it’s got to be local so she won’t know what I’m up to!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.