• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • piemonster

What is everyone up to this weekend?

Blowing a hoolie here tomorrow and I’d already postponed the long run from Wednesday due to having unplanned dog care to deal with. So everything hinges on Sundays long run.

piemonster

Actually, does anyone use an OMM Halo jacket/smock.

My current winter jacket seems to have stopped falling apart but is a bit much for more benign summer conditions. Something lightweight would free up valuable space for critical equipment in the form of fig/cheese rolls/haribo etc.

Im assuming there’s a few compromises involved at this weight point, hood looks a bit feeble and I’d question durability. But then, most of the time it’s going to be sat at the bottom of a pack and not worn.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well I’ve now managed to get to the point were I have ran every week for the last 5 weeks. That’s pretty big progress for me. Mileage is still only between 5-10k, and I’m starting to feel a bit stronger on my legs again. Progress! Enjoying my new Peregrine 11’s, even though they lack a bit of grip at times.

lunge

Couple of long training runs for me. Probably a half tomorrow at a reasonable pace, slow 16 Sunday I think.

Onzadog
    Free Member

**** shin splints! Week 2 of C25K after a bit of a lay off and I’ve been afflicted.

Has anyone had any luck pinning shin splints on a weakness elsewhere in the kinetic chain and sorted them by strengthening there?

turboferret

@onzadog I was taught a fantastic stretch by the XC captain at university, many years ago when I was having issues, I’ve mentioned it a few times in this thread and seems to have helped a few others, so hopefully will do for you too.

Stand with you feet shoulder-width apart, and try and lift the inside of each foot upwards as much as you can so you are just standing on the outer edge of your feet.  I’ve always done this wearing shoes.  Hold for 20s or so before your run and you should hopefully see benefits.  Do it before each run for a couple of weeks and you should stop having to do so.

@piemonster
    I like my OMM Kamleika.  It’s lightweight but soft, comfortable and waterproof, so with some layers underneath should be sufficient for winter running exploits.  It’s my default shell for training when it’s chilly or cool & wet, with varying amounts underneath depending on temperature.  Thumb holes for keeping sleeves over gloves, a nice peaked hook.  Either smock of jacket, I have a smock.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll give it a go.

thecaptain
    Free Member

2h on the dreadmill first up tomorrow (a zwift thing) and then 32km on Sunday, outside before the rain arrives hopefully. None of that will be fast!

As for lightweight cover, I have run in the cheapest Mountain Warehouse pertex shell for years, I’m on my second now. Cheap as chips, weighs nothing, hi-vis yellow and provides just the right level of protection for a cold wind and the odd shower. Not something for a long trip on the high fells.

I think it’s this but I never paid anything like 40 quid, I think it was 12 the first time I got one in a sale and maybe 20 the 2nd time.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/force-jacket-p8705.aspx/yellow/

piemonster

I’ll have to revisit the Kamleika, been a while since I looked at it.

Cheers Captain, but it definitely needs to be water proof. Don’t fancy the Cairngorms in a shower proof even in summer.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get up the hill for a bit later, nothing big only a 10k or so. Wanted to fit in a half tomorrow but pretty busy so it might just have to be something shorter. Planning on riding the bike tomorrow afternoon, pain in the ass to fit it all in!

I’ve got a higher state stretch waterproof that seems ok for the money. Although I since have tried on a montane minimus stretch jacket and wish I bought that now!

piemonster

Think I’m settling on an early start and 18 miles in the Ochils to set up some 20+ mile runs a few weeks later. Run might be stretching it a bit admittedly.

alanf
    Free Member

Montane minimus stretch. It’s light waterproof and doesn’t rustle like the non stretch version. The wife has a kamleika and she kept using the Montane over that so I ended up having to buy her her own!
    It’s a great jacket, can recommend.

marksnook
    Free Member

Well got out for an 8 mile loop up the woods last night, caught the last hour of sunshine which was very nice!
    Had a plan to run today but I’ve got an itch to get out on the bike, trails looked good condition on the run yesterday.
    I need more days in a weekend to fit it all in!

lunge

Anyone run in Hoka Speedgoats? I’m still searching for the perfect long distance trail show and these have got good reviews. Never run in Hoka shoes before so no idea what to expect.

salad_dodger

I tried Speedgoats but found them really narrow in the forefoot and toe box, and very loose around the heel. Although they have a reputation for being narrow, I’ve moved on to La Sportiva shoes and found them to be roomy and very comfortable straight out of the box.

flyingmonkeycorps

Off out for 10ish k now the wind has calmed down… It actually looks quite nice out now.

marksnook
    Free Member

I trail run in hoka mafate shoes, they are wider at the toe than my hola Clifton road shoes. Which admittedly are too narrow.
    Only thing I have noticed is the ease of rolling an ankle compared to my merrel shoes I had previously. The hoka sole is quite high but I find them so comfy!

marksnook
    Free Member

Oops just booked an ultra in June, had my first ultra booked for September, it has 4500ft of climbing in the valleys in wales! I was a bit worried about the elevation for a first ultra

So noticed someone I follow on Instagram is putting on an ultra around bishops castle in Shropshire. It will have a little less elevation so looks like I’m doing two ultras this year! Kind of panicking now 😂

piemonster

Really enjoyable morning out on the Ochils today, just shy of 18 miles and finished with plenty in reserve which sets up 20 milers nicely in a week or 2. I did purposefully pace the run as I would for something twice the distance, more about getting some miles in and practicing stuffing my face with flapjacks whilst descending Ben Cleuch.

My fairly elderly Forerunner 225 now only has a 3hr run time, anyone replaced the battery on their watch?

piemonster

Montane minimus stretch. It’s light waterproof and doesn’t rustle like the non stretch version. The wife has a kamleika and she kept using the Montane over that so I ended up having to buy her her own!
    It’s a great jacket, can recommend.

Thats looking like a front runner for me, and also avoid me and MrsPiemonster having his and hers matching jackets as she has a Kamleika.

doom_mountain

Montane minimus stretch. It’s light waterproof and doesn’t rustle like the non stretch version.

I’ve also got one of these, really pleased with it. the only lightweight waterproof I’ve had much success with. A year in and it still works as advertised. I’d definitely recommend.

Anyone run in Hoka Speedgoats? I’m still searching for the perfect long distance trail show and these have got good reviews. Never run in Hoka shoes before so no idea what to expect.

I had two pairs of Hoka Torrents where the sole came off, the second after 50ish miles… I wouldn’t buy Hoka again. The Speedgoats also felt very narrow.

Inov8 Trailfly are my current go to. Nice wide toe box, lots of grip on varied terrain. Cushioning lasts well, I’m over 400km on my current pair. Only downside is they are not cheap (there is a code in the members area to save some money). Or Inov8 Terraultra for a faster, lighter option. These are my most used shoe, zero drop if it matters?

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Decided today was the day to finally give marathon distance a go. Trail with 300m ascent. Was hoping for sub 5 hours and managed 4hr 45 so quite chuffed. First 15k was enjoyable then slowly but surely fatigue set in, with the last 3k walking.

Given the longest run I’ve managed in the past 6 months was 20k….and some time ago, it wasn’t a bad result.

Glad to have ticked it off the list but zero interest on repeating it

mjsmke

Longest run today. 11 miles off road. Not particularly fast at 9:20m/mile. But still happy with that considering I’m a novice runner. First run with a hydration vest too. So much nicer having stuff within reach. Bit of a sore knee but probably just DOMS.

mogrim

Well done @69er_Gav!

But:

Glad to have ticked it off the list but zero interest on repeating it

Most of us say that when we finish, but then that little demon pops up on your shoulder and starts whispering ideas about how you could bring that time down, perhaps you could do another one, be a good excuse for a long weekend in XXX, etc 🙂

Anyway I had a fun, shorter run today. 16.5km up a local mountain with mates, about 1800m climbing in total. I seem to be getting my fitness back after a month off, just hope I’m not hobbling around tomorrow with DOMS like I was last week.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

@mogrim – you’re not wrong, that demon has already appeared now the knees have recovered a little. I’m sure I’ll do another at some stage…..with a bit more effort.

16.5k is a huge effort considering that incline! Though I’d imagine plenty of fast hiking on the ups as opposed to running per se

mogrim

16.5k is a huge effort considering that incline! Though I’d imagine plenty of fast hiking on the ups as opposed to running per se

Yeah, lots of fast (and not so fast!) hiking on the climbs, which is fairly usual and good training for upcoming trail races.

mjsmke

Noticed today that when I had a slight ache on the outside of my knee, if I lifted my feet more while running, the ache went away for a while. Seems odd but think it’s tightness from yesterday’s ride where I did push quite hard on a few hills.

Does make me wonder if I’m dragging my feet a bit though.

lunge

18 miles for me today, mostly trails and no to many hills, took me to 73 for the week. The trails were in great condition, like summer running.

I maintain that the full ache in your legs after a long run if one of life’s better feelings.

piemonster

In my continuing efforts to bankrupt myself with a “simple and cheap” sport

Anyone here use either a Coros Apex or Polar Grit X? (Currently watching DC Rainmaker reviews)

lunge

Friend has the Coros and likes it, though no more than the Garmin he had before. Battery is good, functionality fine, no issues.

turboferret

@lunge the first Speedgoats were a strange shoe but some people liked them.  The 2nd version was universally hated, far too narrow, various other flaws, which put people off them. I think I have the 2nd version which are well past their best, but have been ok, if narrow for me.  The 3rd version is supposed to be way better, and folk who have hated the 2nd, have liked the 3rd, so might be worth trying on a pair.  Good cushioning and grip, assuming they’re the right size for you.  I think I ran the Red Bull Steeplechase in them, yes, checking the photo I did

turboferret

I ordered some Nike ZoomX Invincibles reduced from £160 to £98 the other day which arrived this afternoon.  Not run in them yet but they are super squishy, so looking forward to seeing how they fare on long runs and if they leave the legs very fresh afterwards.  Got a couple of days in Austria now where there is snow on the ground, not necessarily the ideal testing ground!

lunge

@turboferret,
    Thanks for the thoughts on the Speedgoat, I might try them and use the Hoka returns policy if needed.
    Re. The Invincibles, I quite like mine but they are a strange shoe. Super soft and very unstable, particularly at speed. I guess they’re designed for slow recovery runs and for that they work well.

movingslowly
    Free Member

@lunge – I had a pair of Speedgoats v2; they were extremely narrow! I’ve had multiple pairs of Hoka road shoes so was a bit surprised by how different the fit was! Now using, Saucony Peregrines which are a nice mix of low-weight, protection and grip!

Does anyone have experience of The Lap – Windermere, I’m entered for September!

Also, going to try to go ‘fast’ at my local 10k (https://affrunningclub.org.uk/flitwick-10k/), never like short events!

sirromj

@onzadog

Has anyone had any luck pinning shin splints on a weakness elsewhere in the kinetic chain and sorted them by strengthening there?

Through the recent parkour thread I came across this video about shin splints. The premise – if I understand it correctly – and please excuse my summary – is shin splints are caused by wrong hip position and bodyweight back rather than forward; legs step too far forwards and not far enough back to get enough ankle plantar flexion which would allow the muscles along shin to relax as the ankle propels us forward.

Would be interested to hear what others think?

I went for a run Sunday bearing some of this in mind but found it difficult to control my speed and was done by 5k.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@sirromj

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look. For some time now, I’ve been working on forefoot to midfoot striking and shortening my stride (from my previous over striding heel striking style). It’s possible I’m not getting enough forward propulsion via the glutes.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

My fix was to run off road, when I restarted with c25k I did it round the local park on the grass, now run mainly off road.

Two parts to the theory, softer ground gives more, uneven ground makes your stride uneven and you think about placement more, it also makes you run more with the forefoot.

Could be absolute tosh

onehundredthidiot

Well I’m still not fast or fit but improving, right up to 6.7km into last nights run when I went over on my ankle. Proper sprain (hopefully). Still not comfortable but easing.
    Was aiming for running up the 3 brethren by Easter which I think was doable if done slowly.

didnthurt

Completef my first 5km run last night. Surprisingly, it was OK. I managed 29:06, which I’m pretty happy with as I finished pretty strongly and the next time I want to get under 29 minutes.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Gone and entered the Allendale Challenge to focus my mind, 8 weeks to prep for 26 mile off road. Yikes!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.