Viewing 40 posts - 6,081 through 6,120 (of 7,707 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

48 followers on Instagram, 9 on Twitter, 9 Likes on their FB page.. will this event even go ahead?

lunge

As running is the talk of the forum again thought I’d bring this thread back up.
    Everyone well? Any tales to tell?

I’ve been really enjoying parkrun being back. I was run director for the first 2 which was great fun seeing people back out there. Decided to run the third and bagged a top 5 and a healthy PB.

Pieface

Unsurprisingly my training regimen has nosedived since completing my BGR, still doing about 30 – 40 miles per week but don’t feel that I have the energy ATM to hit 60+ miles a week again. Is that due to motivation or my body saying that I’ve done enough already for the year?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How were your numbers lunge? Busy?

Been lazy for months, 10 miles a week, pish. Need to get back on it.

dannybgoode

I’ve been trying to get back into running a bit. During the 30 min exercise thing we did at the beginning of the year I managed to get my distance up to around 12km but then Covid struck and then I
    had horrid side effects from the vaccine for a week or two. Then I ended up back in a bit of a dip with my depression so it’s took time to get going again.

I am one of those people – when I am on an exercise drive I can stick at it but if I have a forced gap due to illness or whatever it can take me months to find the motivation however this year I have at least carried on putting in little efforts here and there.

No I am back on it I do a very steady treadmill run at the gym to kick a session off and am trying to do at least 5km on the roads once a week. I do really like running, as a teenager I was quite handy and ran at county level.

My goal is to run at least one marathon – doesn’t have to be an organised one, even just the distance will do, and if I can get my base runs up from 5km to 8-10km as well as a regular thing I will be happy.

Rest day today though – two good gym sessions Monday and Tuesday so just a stroll with the dogs later…

lunge

How were your numbers lunge? Busy?

We were at 320 ish per week pre-lockdown, we’re at 250 ish now but going up week on week. That works well for us as it’s eased things in slowly and not upset the council to much.

alanf
    Free Member

First proper (timed) race back after lockdown on Sunday.
    This was also the last race I did just prior to the first lockdown (March 2020) so good to see how things have changed over the pandemic.
    The difference being this time I had some ‘special’ shoes (Adizero Adios Pro – like vaporflys but Adidas).
    The shoes are quite different to normal shoes and do indeed make you want to run faster with noticeable extra cush and a spring like feel that propels you forward. The other plus is that fatigue hasn’t been an issue during or after the event.
    Anyway, over a 9 mile course I was 90 seconds quicker and gained a couple of places overall, so maybe things are in good shape for early October and re-scheduled London Marathon.

Pyro

Still running, though I had a bit of time off in July as it was too **** warm for me to run! Done a good few 2hr Orienteering/Mini-MM events recently, and have entered for 3 of the 4 Peak Raid3 mini-MM series events. As I’ve said before, I don’t like ‘running for the sake of running’ but I enjoy running and navigation – that’s been my in to get me motivated again.

Had a good few days out on the fells recently getting ready for a few events, getting the ‘long day, heavier pack’ time that I’d not been able to during lockdowns. Next thing up is the Great Lakeland 3-Day, I’m just heading out for a bit of fun and more time in the hills and legs rather than any thoughts of a podium. My running partner tore his calf back in Jan/Feb and while he’s recovering and happy to jog and trek for the 3 days, we won’t be moving at any great pace.

After that, well, October’s going to get busy…

duckman

Ran double figures on Monday for the first time since an ankle fracture and ligament tear in April. Just as well as I appear to have entered the hideous Path o Condie half the week after next….

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ooof, that’s a hilly one duckman. I used to ride those roads a fair bit.

highlandman
    Free Member

I had a wee adventure at the end of June this year. The plan had originally been to run the West Highland Way as part of the annual, formal race this particular year but having had to cancel the race again, I decided to use my accommodation bookings to do it anyway, supported by a handful of friends.
    This would have been my 20th year as safety officer and chief medic for the race, hence the wish to run this time around. I’d trained for it over the winter, in the hope of a race to take part in but that wasn’t to be. Anyway, I set off at 0500 on what should have been the normal race Saturday morning, 4 hours after one or two other folk who had also decided to complete their own solo efforts. I eventually finished on Sunday lunchtime, a little slower than I’d hoped for in slightly over 31 hours. Saturday had started cool and drizzly, then cleared as I topped on Conic Hill to be met by that fabulous view. It then had become a case of enduring the heat of a sunny afternoon on Lomondside, then a few midges in Glen Falloch and a strong middle section through Tyndrum and on to Bridge of Orchy. Saturday evening gradually closed in and confirmed one of my key wishes for the weekend; to cross Rannoch in the gloaming of a midsummer night, just as I had done when I first helped at the race back in 2002, sweeping the moor that night. Spicy tomato soup in the back of the van in the ski area car park at Glencoe was an excellent reviver at dawn.
    By the time I started up the Devil’s Staircase, I was tiring. Pal Karen kept me moving and we gradually picked up the pace down into Kinlochleven, arriving just ahead of the support car who’d been caught napping. Then, the heavens opened and climbing out of there was up a trail that resembled a river. Laura, my partner joined me for this final 14 mile stretch; it rained the whole way to the finish. On into the Lairig Mor; three miles before Lundabhra, we met a good friend, 6 months into recovery from Long Covid and walking what for this suffering athlete, was an epic 6 miles to meet me on my journey.
    Running down the final hill into Glen Nevis, several more friends and supporters came out to meet me, still in the rain; among them Becks, race doctor and owner of just the widest smile ever.
    Along the way, several pals unexpectedly (to me..) showed up to throw abuse and support in equal measure; I was blown away by the love and generosity. A few beers in the pub in Ft Bill that Sunday night, made the whole thing feel almost like a normal race weekend. Although my feet were hurting a bit more than is usual.. Next year, I’ll be back but on duty, rather than on the start line. Happy days.

sirromj

I mentioned in that other thread about sprinting fast for a short while towards the end of a longer much steadier paced run. I incremented my speed in steps getting comfortable until I realized each time I could probably push myself faster. Apparently I hit 24mph for a couple of seconds (was on a slight down hill). Does that sound likely for a 46yo (slim, regular cyclist) who started running a year and a half ago? It’s not that often I usually feel able to sprint fast, so haven’t tried yet to repeat it since to confirm, but am interested in what sort of approaches to look at for running fast, not necessarily for runner faster in general. I guess some sort of intervals… after a couple of miles warming up at more regular pace?

surfer
    Free Member

Well done @highlandman that sounds like an epic. I am hoping to do the shorter Joss Naylor Round (I am 56) so its good to read of your experience. @mrsparkle completed this successfully some time ago. My prep is being hampered by niggling injuries which seems the biggest challenge for us oldies…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apparently I hit 24mph for a couple of seconds (was on a slight down hill). Does that sound likely for a 46yo (slim, regular cyclist) who started running a year and a half ago?

Usain Bolt topped out at 27.33 at just over 60m into his world record, so, er – no! 🙂

Well done Highlandman, sounds like you had a ball, and lots of awesome memories too.

MrSparkle

Good goimg @highlandman!

@surfer
    – good luck with JNC. It’s a tough day out but a satisfying thing to have completed. Especially if Joss is there at the end to shake your hand.

mogrim

I’ve been busy preparing a long ultra in Switzerland at the end of the month, and did my final long (53km) run on Saturday. Lucky I did it last weekend and not this one, as I got knocked off my bike by a car on Tuesday, and now have bruised ribs which wouldn’t be ideal… Fingers crossed I’m fully recovered by the time of the race.

(The bike accident was 100% the driver’s fault, a classic SMIDSY. The bike is fine BTW.)

sirromj

Usain Bolt topped out at 27.33 at just over 60m into his world record, so, er – no! 🙂

That’s what made me doubt it! Seems endurance is the priority for most runners. What sort of speeds can the STW runners top out at even if only for a few seconds?

lunge

What sort of speeds can the STW runners top out at even if only for a few seconds?

12 mph is 5 minutes per mile, there’s a few here who could that for a mile I suspect.
    For very short bursts some could go quicker than that.
    Anything approaching 3 minutes per mile/20mph is seriously rapid.

alanf
    Free Member

1 mile world record is 3:43:13 – (El Guerrouj 1999) which is 16.1 mph
    Half marathon world record is 57:32 which is about 13.8 mph
    For reference I did a 9 mile race at the weekend and averaged 10.9 mph

surfer
    Free Member

Your max MPH is likely to be clocked over a distance up to around 70-80 metres, after that and your max speed slows. The shortest distance I have a properly recorded PB over is 200m (I was a middle distance runner not a sprinter) which I covered in 25:00 seconds which equates to 8 metres per second which equals 17:90 mph. I was only average but that is not too shabby for a longer distance runner. I doubt you reached 24mph.

I averaged just under 5 mins per mile for 4 miles (19:56) a bit over for 5 miles (25:53) and had a mile pb of 4:17.

turboferret

I’m a bit slower than surfer with a mile pb of 4:31 from a couple of weeks ago, although I reckon I should be able to shave a few seconds off that in the right conditions.

Was quite happy to dip just below 15 minutes for 5000m on the track for the first time at the weekend. Felt like a proper race – we had a pace who was supposed to take us to 3000m in 71 second laps, which works out to be 14:48 pace, but he dropped out after a mile. The pace continued around that for a few more laps and I was tucked in happily in about 6th place in the pack, but then the pace seemed to suddenly slow. As I was keen to go sub 15 I went to the front and drove the pace back again, and apparently strung out the pack significantly in the process. As anticipated I was swallowed up at the bell, with 4 guys coming past, but I hung on for 14:55 which I was pretty pleased with. I doubt any of us would have managed a sub 15 had I not gone to the front, so it was nice to be instrumental in the overall result.

Next race is a 5k on the road, where I hope to improve on that, as out of all the disciplines/surfaces, track is my least favourite and I’m generally quicker on the road.

surfer
    Free Member

Was quite happy to dip just below 15 minutes for 5000m on the track

Got me there @turboferret 🙂 Never broke 15 mins for 5000m but did get under 15 for the seldom run 3 miles, Think I did about 14:50. 14:55 is excellent running, well done. If you can get in a race run about 14:30 pace and without leading then you will run much faster I am sure. My track pb is only 15:47 so I dropped a fair bit over the last 200m. Road PB 1 second slower.

turboferret

@surfer I think that carbon super shoes are a contributing factor for going faster on the road than the track, but psychologically I find running around in circles does my nut in!

I set a new 3000m PB during the 5000m race, and also set a new 1500m PB during the recent mile, so being in a fairly quick race with company is certainly key

root-n-5th
    Free Member

It’s been a while. Glad to see most are doing well, and those that aren’t due to various reasons, don’t despair. Some very impressive runs above – long, fast, etc. Well done all.

Can’t remember where I left it last. I’ve been running quite a lot and loving it. Managed to get my sub 20 parkrun on the board with a 19:58 at market Harborough a couple of week’s back. Course was torturous and twisty, with loads of back markers but flat and managed to get it done. 11th out of 308 and second in age so happy with that. Feel I could go faster on an open course like Battersea Park.

Parkrun has been good. Got 20:04 at Nonsuch too and didn’t push 100%. Volunteering this weekend to pay back the karma.

Nothing was booked until a friend of mine who has recently recovered from cancer asked for runners at the Newport marathon. Seemed rude not to do that us booked at end of October. He said he was slow now and going for a 3:45! Gulp. Trail half in clipston at end of September and seriously considering a 60km in godalming the week before. I did an65km week last week for the first time in ages, up from a 30km target, so I can feel it today. No real niggles which is encouraging, just fatigue.

Had a strange heart rate thing where it shot up to max rpm on an easy run and wouldn’t come down. Not out of breath but running up hill felt like hell. I walked. I have run longer since and it’s been fine but I’m getting it checked out.

Keep at it all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Roots! I’ve gone backwards, miles off 20min 5k again! 🙈😂

flyingmonkeycorps

Some amazing work from folk on here as usual, some of the speeds you do are mind-boggling!

I’m limited for time at the moment, and getting more bike miles in so running less. Mile and a half a couple of times a week to nursery and back most weeks, and I did a 5k fun run at our local uni (where I used to work) last Saturday. Wasn’t timed, but it felt pretty good (half with toddler in a pram, half without).

We’re moving in Sept to a new place which is a mile or so from what should be a great Parkrun, so I think we’re gonna try and get involved with that.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Cheers, mate! The thing is I know I’ve been there or there abouts since spring and was building up for parkrun to return. Of course, it was delayed and delayed so I’ve had to try to keep that specific goal in mind, which was quite hard. Feels a relief I can move on to other things now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had it in me for a good few months last year, never put the effort on to actually do it! What a fanny! 😂

saynotoslomo
    Free Member

I’m keen to get back in to running again. I’ve been really lazy with it recently, preferring to either go on my bike or use the heat as an excuse to not exercise 😅

Was at my peak during the first lockdown and was chasing a sub 20 minute 5k – got it down to 20 minutes and 11 seconds and then got covid and never really picked up again from there. No long covid symptoms thankfully but just lost all interest and motivation… currently feeling the same way about bikes after a busy few months so I’ll maybe be able to focus on running again. I’d be absolutely buzzing if I can get back to similar 5k times again! Even better if I could finally break the 20 minute mark!

sirromj

Got a more realistic figure for the top speed I can reach for a few seconds today…. ~15mph. Bit disappointing I’m no threat to Usain Bolt but will get over it 😀 He’s really quite fast isn’t he!?

Signed up for Park Run last week but recovering from some minor back issues so didn’t go. Should be good for this weekend though so looking forward to that.

Bazz

Hello all, i’m new to this thread and was hoping that someone might be able to offer me some advice for a slight problem that i’m having whilst running.

For the last month or so i have been getting incredibly tight hamstrings whilst i run, this isn’t usually a problem for me and i am in fact pretty flexible in the hamstrings under normal circumstances, and last month i pulled a muscle which i believe was caused by this tightness. I’m not sure what information would be useful in helping to diagnose this so i’ll just list a bunch of facts below:

Run once or twice a week to a max of 10km
    Running routes are mostly off road and hilly, i’m either going up or down, virtually no flat
    Use the treadmill at work to do 4 30-40 min sessions of brisk walking on an incline (hate running on them) a week
    Turbo train once or twice a week for 30-40 mins doing intervals
    Do a longer bike ride once a week 2-3 hours
    Do yoga/stretching routine 3-4 time a week
    Do resistance training a couple of times a week including squats/deadlifts/cleans for the legs
    No changes to my diet
    Usually run first thing in the morning, start slowly to warm up.

The tightness seems to come on after 10-15 mins and seems to get worse the longer i run, the higher the intensity the tighter they get as well.

Any help or advice gratefully received. Thanks.

dyls

Bazz – I have that issue as well.

Tried warming up more but didn’t work.

Made sure I wasn’t going off too fast – didn’t work

Made sure I stretch after finishing – didn’t work

I’m slightly on the heavy side for running – wonder if its anything to do with weight?

Bazz

I’m the lightest now than I’ve ever been in my adult life, 77kg at 1.8m tall. I lost nearly 3 stone last year and running had never felt so good.

flyingmonkeycorps

Out of interest, what watches (if indeed any) are folk running? I’m currently using a phone which is fine, but I’d like to be able to use heart rate zones, both running and on the bike.

I’ve been looking at things like the Forerunner 55 and Coros Pace 2.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bazz, I don’t think anyone on here can really diagnose your issue mate, often hamstrings being tight is a symptom of something else.

Find a good sports physio, and get on to them. Best of luck.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No idea about that coros FMC, but the FR55 will be ideal, lots of folks in my old club used them.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye the Coros seems to be well rated but I’ve used a fair few Garmins before (mainly bike ones, used to have a really old Forerunner too) and they’ve always been good.

superlightstu
    Free Member

Hi Bazz & Dylan, your hamstring issue is a funny one, I have very tight hamstrings and have had no problems with them whilst regularly running for more than a decade and up to marathon distance.

It might be worth looking at your running form, eg are you over stretching on your stride? The high cadence, short stride approach may help if you are where you try to land on your forefoot rather than your heel.

Ideally you’d want someone with some knowledge and experience to watch you running to try and help diagnose it. This can be difficult to arrange and, for me, whilst the Born to Run book inspired me to think about my form it was the Chi Running book that helped me to dial it in (despite the Californian new age style not being my favourite!). They might be worth a read to give you some ideas?

Bazz

Thanks for the replies, off to do more research 😀

mogrim

Get someone to film you running, maybe? (And if you’re brave, post us the link to the video 🙂 )

Have you got a Garmin or whatever? What’s your cadence like? If you’re overstriding it’s likely to be slow.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,081 through 6,120 (of 7,707 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.