Viewing 40 posts - 5,841 through 5,880 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

Rather pressing question:
    Can anyone recommend a small running backpack? I need one for an upcoming ultra but don’t need to carry much, 1 litre of water, a phone, a map and a some light food is all that’s needed.
    Went for a run with my current one and it’s not quite comfy enough.
    Ideally any such pack needs to be delivered by next weekend so I can use it in my last shakedown run!

Pyro

Harrier seems to be getting decent reviews and aren’t overly expensive, their Curbar 5l should cover what you’re thinking of.

https://harrierrunfree.co.uk/collections/race-vests

Dickyboy

Gutted my half marathon didn’t go to plan today, achilles tendonitis hit me just 3 miles in, pretty sure its because I’d not been doing my normal warm up & warm down walks recently, I had been managing between 7.5 to 10.5 miles every Sunday for the past 8wks, so a proper pisser that it should happen so quickly today ☹️ at least I have a qualified physio in the house to get me better.

jam-bo

Can anyone recommend a small running backpack?

not cheap at RRP but I really like my Patagonia slope runner.

lunge

not cheap at RRP but I really like my Patagonia slope runner.

You’re not wrong, RRP is not cheap is it?
    What are you getting with that compared to something like this for 1/3 of the price?
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/unisex-trail-running-hydration-gilet-5-l-flask-holder/_/R-p-307934

jam-bo

Why buy any outdoor gear anywhere other than decathlon…

I got the 4L version for ~40% off, and it came with two hydrapak ultra bottles. I don’t do ‘ultras’ but works well for carrying jacket, gloves, buff, camera etc on moors runs.

lunge

Why buy any outdoor gear anywhere other than decathlon

Well, yeah, that’s what I’m trying to work out.
    As proved in my many shoe posts, I don’t mind spending money if there’s a good reason why, hence asking the difference.

Pyro

Like everything, depends what fits! I’ve tried a couple of the Decathlon running packs and they didn’t work for me fit-wise. Same with the – way more expensive – Salomon vest packs, I think I’m just awkwardly in between sizes. I have a small Mountain Hardwear pack and a couple of Ultimate Direction ones, and they all fit me fine. I’d have no problem with using the Decathlon stuff (have loads of other great from there, is fine build quality wise etc) but the fit just didn’t work for me.

grahamt1980

There is the alpkit artlu.
    It is 10l though so not sure if too big. Mine is really comfy though

jam-bo

Well, yeah, that’s what I’m trying to work out.
    As proved in my many shoe posts, I don’t mind spending money if there’s a good reason why, hence asking the difference.

no idea, sorry. But at a guess, it’s better made, with better QC with better quality materials. But you are probably paying a decent % for the label.

mogrim

The Decathlon models are fine, no real difference between them and a hyper-expensive Salomon model. As mentioned above, fit is key. Try it on and if it fits it’ll (probably!) be fine.

turboferret

@lunge I wore a 3l Decathlon vest for my Jubilee Greenway – holds a pair of 250ml flasks on the chest, couple of pockets below the flasks, and a larger zipped pocket on the back. Snug fit on my scrawny chest for the small size, but worked perfectly for what I wanted. No chafing or movement. For my Capital Ring I wore my Inov8 Raceultra 10l which was bigger than required, but also fits great and is my default pack when required, as it can hold a pair of shoes etc.

For my upcoming ultras however I decided that I wanted something between the 2 and didn’t like the look of anything available commercially, so I’ve made my own 🙂

Matches my running kit, and is based on the Decathlon vest but with larger chest pockets to hold 500ml flasks and a bigger back pocket. Fiddly to say the least….

In other news I’ve got another pair of shoes resoled, my Next% which have about 50km on them

I will admit that these and the 4% aren’t going to be ideal for super gnarly terrain, stability and protection being something they don’t excel at. South Downs Way 50 will be the first proper outing for the 4% this weekend and the Next% will get their first race in their new iteration for the Thames Path 100 in May.

First race in 6 months was the Sunday just past, a 5k with a decent hill in the middle. Wasn’t sure how I’d go on a short fast race based on the volume of slow grinding I’ve been doing recently, but was very pleased to only be 8 seconds slower than my last outing there in 15:21.

Frustratingly I seem to have done something to my left hamstring/calf so am in a lot of pain while running since obviously going too hard/not warming up properly/wearing different shoes on Tuesday 🙁 Seeing a physio this evening to hopefully sort it out, otherwise this weekend’s 50 miler won’t be fun…

Also noticed what is apparently an epigastric hernia a couple of days ago, only protrudes a little occasionally when contorting, fingers crossed it’ll sort itself out

2 injuries popping up just before 150 miles of racing spread 3 weeks apart – ideal 😮

lunge

Interesting post TF.
    I got delivery of a Decathlon pack yesterday that more of a vest where you store 2 500ml bottles on the front pockets. Did a quick test on the road and that is going straight back, felt horrible to run in, weirdly like I imagine a large chested woman would feel. I think I’ll stick to my current backpack. It’s not perfect but it’ll do I think.

Those VaporTrails/TrailFly’s are intriguing, I’ll definitely be doing that once I’ve used up their road miles.

turboferret

Running with chest water does indeed feel pretty strange to start off with, they need to be strapped down tight to stop them wobbling, otherwise you’ll lose a load of efficiency. The nice thing about the Inov8 pack is that the bottles are much lower, under your armpits, with long straws to your mouth, and they’re much less obvious.

My DIY pack was missing easy adjustment of the chest straps, so just printed some little fittings like you might see on tent guy-lines

work a treat 🙂

AngusWells

Ferret, I sympathise with the calf strain. I was running on Monday, had just finished an off-road flinty climb and was on the flat when my calf went ping. It felt like I had been shot by a sniper – no warning, just went.

What was your physio’s recommendation: I am assuming rest, mild mobility exercises until free of symptoms and then strengthening allied to a gradual return?

turboferret

I didn’t see a physio, although potentially maybe I should have done. I saw a top sports massage therapist who tortured me for an hour. Today not only do I have a sore calf/hamstring, I also have sore quads 😮

Today is my 2nd day of rest, surely that’s enough going into a 50 miler? The issue is that if I don’t finish this race I can’t start my 100 miler which is the bigger target, so let’s see how things go. Fingers crossed after I’m warmed up it’ll be fine and I’ll be fully recovered by 8th May…

lunge

How did the 50 go @turboferret? Did the injuries hold up?

I did a 27 miler on Saturday to give a final test of the marathon kit and to get my head round running long at the right pace as well. Largely, a very enjoyable run bar the odd challenging bit where I stupidly decided to go up a big hill at 18 milers. Pleasingly, the kit all worked well, no chafing or blisters which bodes well.

duckman

Cheer me up please; took trail shoes to run the long trek back from Ullapool Beinn Dearg on Friday. Short story,fractured ankle and a three mile limp back to car,consultant today. Somebody tell me they have done something similar and been back running on trails again, because right now I am scunnered. Weather getting better,allowed to hike, odd race back on..oh; and Planet x Tempest arriving tomorrow.

turboferret

@lunge it was a good run thanks, fortunately after warming up my left leg was absolutely fine. The fun started before the race as I found myself locked into my campsite at 5am, and needed to find an alternative exit, otherwise I may have been starting considerably later than planned!

A nice little video of the day is here

and Centurion’s report is pretty good too, the bit relevant to me is: In the mens race, we saw stellar times from our front two in the end, with both Richard Mcdowell and previous winner here, Jack Blackburn, running into 3rd and 7th on the all time fastest performances on this course across all nine editions.
    Richard went off extremely hard, but when you have finished first Vet 40 at the London Marathon in 2:23 then hard is a relative thing. He did perhaps push the envelope all the way out over the first half of the course however. His times through the first three check points were ahead of Tom Evans’ 5:44 course record splits. His first 10 miles were run in 62 minutes and he made the marathon mark at Housedean Farm check point in 2:53, 7 minutes up on Tom’s time in there.
    However he felt that keeping that kind of effort up was not necessarily sustainable and made a conscious decision to back off at that point, taking the ascents easier and running slightly more within himself to eventually cruise home in 6:02 for a comfortable 18 minute margin over second placed Jack Blackburn. Richard races the Thames Path 100 in just under three weeks time which for sure played into that decision. A smart one no doubt! Third place went to Peter Windross in a solid 6:38.

The homemade ultra-vest/bag did the trick beautifully, and apparently it was noted how small it was at the start, the woman kit-checking me at the finish was intrigued to see how I’d managed to meet all the minimum equipment in such a light and compact bag. Legs were far from functional on Sunday, a bit better yesterday, and I’m contemplating a gentle jog at lunchtime today. Not long until I’ll be tapering again for the main event in under 3 weeks time 😮

mogrim

Congratulations, that’s an impressive time for a 50miler!

alanf
    Free Member

Top running @Turboferret.
    I assume the vaportrails did the trick?

grahamt1980

Bloody well done, that is both distance and speeds that i can’t compute

Pyro

Cheer me up please; took trail shoes to run the long trek back from Ullapool Beinn Dearg on Friday. Short story,fractured ankle and a three mile limp back to car,

Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that Duckman, hope you heal up quickly!

lunge

Seriously impressive work TF, seriously fast as well.
    How were the TrailFly’s/VaporTrails?

turboferret

Glad to report that the VaporTrails worked a charm, although the ground was so dry that road shoes would have been fine too – the guy who finished 3rd wore AlphaFlys and was happy with his choice. Zero blisters or chafing, but a few sore toenails, which is possibly inevitable given the descending pushes your feet to the front of your shoes. Nutrition consisted of 2 x Maurten 320 (1 litre total) 500ml tailwind (which tasted very weak) & 2x Maurten caffeinated gels. I’ll have to work a bit harder to get more in during the Thames Path as I was probably running a bit low by the end. Solid food doesn’t work for me while moving, and it was a couple of hours before I could manage anything solid after the finish too.

lunge

Injury strikes!!!!

10 days before my ultra, feeling fit as I ever have and I have been hit. Last mle of a club run, not even pushing on and I got a sharp pain in the back of my calf. Stopped immediately and walked home to apply ice and massaged it.

Hoping it’s nothing serious but it’s terrible timing.

Rona

Ach! Sorry to hear it. Get well soon.

lunge

Well, I do love a visit to a sympathetic physio.

When I explained the problem and the timing of the ultra he immediately asked if I wanted advice on if I should run it, or advise as to what will happen if I did. I suggested the latter, he chuckled as he knew that would be the case.

So, it’s not a serious injury and normal advise would be some exercises, no running for 2 or 3 weeks and then ease back in gently. Note that “run 40 miles in 10 days time” isn’t mentioned in that plan.

However, he did say that if I should do some exercises for 3 or 4 days, go and do 5k on Sunday or Monday, and see how it feels. If it’s OK then by all means have a crack at the ultra.

The main positive was that if shouldn’t do any serious damage to it even if I do run a bit early, just so long as I accept I may have to walk in places.

Overall, I’m a bit more positive than I was.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Catching up…

Cheers @mogrim I feel pretty much right as rain but the after affects are still there training wise.

So the Tour of Tamesdie has been postponed to dates I can no longer make, bit gutted about that.

I had however planned to go out and do a half before committing to the original dates after having Covid as I didn’t want to sign up and not complete the 4 days and the half would have been my nemesis as for a while now I’ve generally only done around the 10k mark and rarely go above 8 mile.

Anyway today was the day I had planned to have a crack at the half so decided to still do it so I know that I can again.

Beyond completing it the only goal was sub 2hr based on how my running has been post Covid.

It ended up being bloody close at 1:59:44! Goal accomplished though. Felt strong until the 9 mile mark then my body just hit the wall. Possibly still a bit of Covid (long) at play there.

I’m about 15 mins down on my best in the past but ultimately I’m still happy.

I’m now feeling positively tortoise like though after seeing @turboferret effort! Awesome and well done.

@lunge
    hope all goes well if you do go ahead with the event.

lotto
    Free Member

http://BBC News – Stock cubes help runner smash record on 212-mile route https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56971220

Impressive, a very well done. Don’t fancy scoffing stock cubes though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Knee bother has cut my running, I think it’s some form of ITB problem, can’t get a physio appt for a couple of weeks, really pissing me off. First running injury I’ve had in nearly 4 years, so can’t really complain tbf. Arghhh.

lunge

I hear you Nobeer, I’ve not run for a week, longest time off I’ve had since I took up running 4 years ago. Test run tomorrow, oddly nervous about it…

turboferret

Counting down to the Thames Path 100, the pre-event blog is up which makes for quite entertaining reading. My main rival seems to have potentially handicapped himself by having his tongue pierced and rendered himself unable to eat currently 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t feel like I can post on this thread anymore 🙁

But %£*^ it – I did a (nearly) 7 mile run in just over an hour on Monday – still some way to go to getting back to my times of 2019 but an injury (broken rib) lost most of 2020 for me then winter happened so just getting back to more regular runs.

Pyro

Well done @johndoh. Don’t worry, we’re not all lunge or turboferret 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely what Pyro says, well done John. 💪🏻

dashed
    Free Member

Another one coming out of injury – Covid and double hernia repair late 2020 did me for a few weeks then moved to Sheffield and increase in elevation set off my IT band.

But a nice 17.5k loop around Stanage and Burbage today and I’m not hobbling tonight! I can feel it, but in a good way. Yay!!

And first fell race in about 18 months coming up in a couple of weeks. First time out in a Dark Peak vest – esteemed company!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may be getting somewhere with this knee injury, was getting sore again today, so rattled off a couple of sets of squats and lunges. Pain gone.

Now thinking that this may be down to my chronically weak quads, glutes and calf on my left leg. I’ve only really been running for a good while, very little biking or gym work …

Hmm…..

lunge

Don’t worry, we’re not all lunge or turboferret!

I can absolutely assure you all that TF is in a different league to me!

Did a fitness test today, 5k on the local track to see how my calf has responded. And all was well, started slow, finished faster and no issues to speak of. Whether it’ll last 40 miles is a different question…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck buddy.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,841 through 5,880 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.