• This topic has 7,682 replies, 360 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 7,683 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

definitely practice eating during your trainig runs, even if you don’t feel that they’re long enought to warrant it. When it comes to tyour big event you’ll definitely need to be topping up your carbs, which will mean a gel every 30 minutes or so. If you don’t train your digestion as well as you’re running, it may not be your fitness that stops you finishing the race!

I do eat on some long runs, I do a couple closer to the event when I try and use the same gels that the event will be offering, last thing you want is an adverse reaction on race day though I have a pretty strong stomach! For the ultra I have an idea of what will be at the feed stations so will know what works (jelly babies, soreen, jam sarnies) and what doesn’t (anything nut based!). Weirdly, I quite like the Gu gels, and I like how small they are so they fit in a key pocket on my shorts.

But for the majority of the training I do without as I think it helps me become a bit more efficient. I can do up to about a half without any food before or during, anything more than that and I need some breakfast and/or a gel at some point. It’s also quite interesting seeing how your body reacts when it does bonk, and how much more you do once it happens.

bob_summers

Three weeks since the sprain, decided for an easy trot around the same loop having done some gentle beach runs and a bit of road.

Passed the bit I rolled my ankle on (walked down obvs) feeling smug. Rolled the bloody thing again about 3km afterwards. Was looking out into the bay and not at the trail…

Livid. Heard it crack again, maybe not as bad this time. Considered limping out to the nearest place to get a bus/cab like last time but after a few painful paces it went numb so I finished the loop at a very lopsided hobble. If I can bear weight on it tomorrow I think I’m just going to keep going. And avoid that trail…

mogrim

I managed a new PB yesterday, 18:46 for a 5K which I’m pretty chuffed with, not bad at 49 years old 🙂

(It was on a track which made life easier, but still had to do it!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

Nice one Mogrim, decent time that!

lunge

Rapid Mogrim, very rapid.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Very impressive Mogrim!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nice one, I’ve been aiming for sub 20 but not quite there yet. And given I’ll be riding more now for the next few months I think it’s not going to happen! Autumn, maybe…..

69er_Gav
    Free Member

496km Challenge

An update on this month long challenge, running the date – 1km on 01/03, 2km on 02/03, up to 31km on 31/03.

Sadly yesterday (24km) was the last day for me. Crawled in after 24km with sore knees and a buggered hip. I guess 4 back to back half marathons is where it gets tough.

Absolutely gutted as mentally and energy wise I’m pumped to be out there tonight, however joints are saying no and I fear long term injury by continuing.

On the whole, I really enjoyed it and would recommend if your body allows. Still happy to have hit 300k in 3 weeks and even more buzzing to get out for a big hill run once recovered.

Best of luck for anyone out there pushing their running boundaries!

turboferret

First trial outing for my resoled original Vapofly 4%’s, which I am naming the Vaportrail 4%

Had a Vibram zegama sole glued on by Cheshire Shoes

Didn’t quite get the segment I was aiming for, but wasn’t too far off

Not quite so good for my lunchtime recovery run though, a combination of my knackered 2nd toe, a hole in my sock and some flats I haven’t worn for a while made itself quite obvious early on 😮

In other news, is anyone else watching the British Olympic marathon trials live from Kew Gardens?

lunge

@turboferret, that toe looks horrible.
    I quite like the idea of the VaporTrails, might have a look in time for my trail ultra!

turboferret

@lunge, it looks worse than it is, just a bit of skin worn off. Need to find a robust solution for protecting it while putting toe socks on and running.

£42 for the Zegama sole, I think I’ll get some glued onto a pair of fairly fresh Next% – these have worked as a proof of concept, but the shoes themselves have quite a lot of miles on them so have certainly lost some of their pop. Not necessarily ideal for super technical trails, as they have quite a high stack height and aren’t the most stable shoe in the world. When I posted about these on a Facebook group last year there were several voices calling me an idiot and 2 broken ankles awaited me 😀

lunge

That’s interesting, I have a pair of VF’s with 100 miles in them, a few more miles and I might do that.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Followed some advice on this thread and just did my first sub 20 for 5k.

19.54. Very happy with that.

grahamt1980

Bloody hell, some of the km splits on here are mad.
    Was happy yesterday with my 22:30 5k. Going to have to work harder now

lunge

Good work vanilla.
    I’ve till not broken 20 mins for 5k!

Pyro

And at the opposite end of things from all these people running fast 5 and 10kms…

I’ve had a fairly pleasant week off work including three days of jog/hike/shuffling round the Leeds Country Way – just under 100km circuit around the outskirts of the city. About 18hrs trotting in total, 37km/6:30-ish, on Wednesday (Golden Acre to Woodlesford), 29km/6:10-ish on Thursday (Woodlesford to Morley) and 31km/5:30-ish on Friday (Morley to Golden Acre). First day was lovely, great trails through Harewood and Bardsey, fallen to Barwick to refuel at the shop then round St Aidans to the finish. Blister problems on Thursday slowed me down a bit, and the constant drone of the motorways was a bit of a crap soundtrack for a tough day. Sorted the feet out overnight and had a great day through the nicest pieces of trail through Cockers Dale, up Pudsey back and round Fulneck, with some cheeky climbs late on but a lovely downhill finish. The normal guide splits it over four days, but three worked better for both my training plan and getting trains back home each evening. The slightly uncomfortable 5km walk back home from the finish line was enlivened by stripping at the local shop to pick up a can or two of liquid anaesthetic!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep – another one here that isn’t going to run <20min 5ks but still – did a nice (but windy and hilly)6 miles today at 9.15m pace – happy with that and happy I went out when I could have made many excuses to do something else.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Seems to be struggling with what I think is a very mild sprained ankle. Doesn’t really ‘hurt’ but I know its not right and feels uncomfortable. Usually goes the next day after a run. Seems to have been a few weeks now, even with blocks of no running. Not suite sure what to do, grr

lunge

Not sure if this is appropriate for the group, but does anyone want a pair of brand new Nike Vaporfly’s Next% 2 in a Uk size 12?
    I bought a pair when they were released last week and despite all the reviews saying they were the same as version 1 with a slightly roomier upper, but they don’t feel quite as good as the first version to my feet. For the cost I want them to be pretty much perfect and they’re not.
    DM if you’re interested?

Dickyboy

Anyone else doing the virtual Royal Parks half next week? Managed 2/3 distance today, so the extra 1/3 distance is gonna be a struggle but doing it in aid of MS Society, so will be impetus to drag my sorry arse around. Hoping for sub 2hrs 🙏

RDL-82
    Free Member

Those sub 20 5k times make me sad and jealous!

I’m currently 5 weeks post Covid and it’s destroyed me. Just totally empty and struggling.

Had managed to get myself back down to 23 minutes for my 5k but on Monday ran a 36 minute and had nothing else to give. HR through the roof compared to before.

Hopefully get back soon. I’ve got the 4 day Tour of Tameside booked start of June and don’t think I’d complete it right now. Will be gutted as it fell right with work days off last year but got cancelled and has fell on my leave this year. Fingers crossed.

Good luck @Dickyboy

turboferret

Less than 2 weeks to go 🙂

lunge

Good luck TF, looks hard work that does.

sirromj

I’m still managing to do semi-regular runs. Still with the Merrel Trail Glove shoes, happy with them, fairly well adapted to them now provided I don’t over do things, like say suddenly deciding to do 10k back toward the end of February. The 10k felt ok but the next time I went out to do a run 6 days later, and having not taken it too easy on the bike, I barely managed two miles before needing to walk. Discovered how slowly it’s possible to jog though, haven’t had the need to try that before. The past two runs I’ve been warming up with a slow jog instead of jumping jacks etc. Today decided to try for a fast 5k after 8 minutes jog to warm up. Managed ~ 23 1/2 minutes, a minute over my best 5k.

lunge

it’s that semi-regular post again where I urge those of you that aren’t to think about joining a running club. Had an absolutely amazing club run last night, 10 miles as the sun goes down with a good group that finished with a proper smash-up for the last 2 miles. The only thing missing was that the bar was closed when we got back. Just lovely.

You get to meet so many diverse people. Our group last night had a guy who 10 miles is long run to, and another who has no only a 100 mile PB but also a 200 mile PB.

Awesome stuff.

lunge

And another semi-regular post – Lunge’s latest shoe reviews.

First up, the Nike Vapor Fly Next% 2.
    Well, what a disappointment. The internet seems to be absolutely raving about these, saying how the new upper and laces take an already good shoe to the next level, and I just didn’t get it. The new upper is stiffer than the old one and has some more structure around the toes, the toe box is also a touch roomier. But for me, this didn’t work. The extra structure added some inflexibility around the little toe and the increased volume meant the fit wasn’t quite as good. I did 40 or so miles in mine after I posted about them about to see they’d bed in, they didn’t and are now on their way back to Nike.
    The midsole and outer are the same as v1, so no comment needed there, they’re brilliant and really this is what the shoe is all about.
    It’s still a very comfy, super fast shoe so it’s by no means a bad shoe, I just don’t like it as much as v1. It has dropped a few £££ in price mind you.

Next, the Adidas SL2.
    No this, this is a hell of a shoe, though note this is for the SL2 not the newer SL2.2.
    Light weight, fast, bit of cushioning, lots of pop, these make you want to go fast. They feel under foot like a slightly beefed up racing flat. They’re not the shoe to reach for if you want max cushioning but they’re a great every day trainer if you want a lighter shoe. The upper is stunning, so well made, really comfy, very impressive. 50 miles in and they’re fast becoming my go to shoe, I have another pair on order already!
    Only complaint is they size small, go half a size up if you can.
    Bear in mind to begin with you can pick these up for £50 or £60, that’s a proper bargain.

karnali
    Free Member

@lunge is this the adidas shoes

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/adidas-sl20-mens-running-shoes-black-eg1144.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI16iJgKHu7wIVlOFRCh0QPAHYEAQYCCABEgLCsPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

i can only find a SL20, in need of some new shoes and I have been please with my terrex

grahamt1980

Might have to join a club at some point. Did 15km yesterday in 1hr 25 which i was happy with. Legs feeling it a bit today but i clearly need to run more to get used to it.
    Didn’t help that my run was half road half trail and i wore my minimal cushion merrells. Ordered some brooks cascadia 15 as brooks like my feet

dashed
    Free Member

Big fan of running club too, lunge. I’m average, enjoy my running but never going to break any records etc. I was always a bit nervous about joining as I thought it’d all dead serious folk. I now love a good club run – meet a few likeminded folk, bit of chat and then always that “will it / won’t it” pick up the pace for the last couple of miles 😉

lunge

@karnali, yep that’s the one. Cracking shoe and it can be had cheaper than that in a few places.

@dhased, agree. We have a huge range of paces at ours, slowest being over 12 minute miles, fastest nearer 7’s which means all can be involved. Runners seem to be generally nice people, there are few morons there. And it’s even better when the bar is open for a post-run pint.

dashed
    Free Member

@lunge – do those Vaporfly 2’s still have a fixed / glued footbed in them? I need to use a more supportive footbed in my running shoes (plantar fasciitis). Want to give a pair a try but can’t get on with flat footbeds.

lunge

@dashed, yep, still the same stuck in one I’m afraid. I suspect most race shoes are the same as a sewn in footbed will be lighter. Plus Nike don’t want another episode like the below.

mogrim

Runners seem to be generally nice people, there are few morons there.

Most clubs get rid of the idiots pretty fast, and it’s probably pretty self-selecting too: if you don’t get on with people you probably won’t join a club anyway…

And I had a good run with my club last night: an inverse pyramid, 3000m + 2000m + 1000m, all at 5K pace. I wouldn’t want to run on a track everyday, but a couple of times a week is great.

mogrim

Catching up on the thread here…

Well done @vanilla83, missed your sub-20 time 🙂 And sorry to hear about your covid woes @RDL-82, hopefully they won’t last long.

Those “Trailflys” look great for parkruns, but I don’t think I’d want to take them up in the mountains – not enough padding/protection underfoot or for the toes, and that’s ignoring the chance of a turned ankle. Ideal for Richmond Park of course!

surfer
    Free Member

if you don’t get on with people you probably won’t join a club anyway…

Club membership is necessary to run in some of the regional leagues and national races. Some races accept guests but even the most solitary runners join clubs so they can run in for example regional cross country leagues and selection races for the inter counties (or historically) the National XC. Same with track leagues and regional and national road relays. there are open track events but you wont get many chances to race unless you are a member of a club and can race in those leagues.
    Running is a solitary sport mostly and I ran in many team events where people would turn up on race day, compete then disappear. You knew who they were from results sheets but they didnt turn up for club training sessions and many were just normal blokes just did their training mostly alone.
    The number of non Harrier/competitive clubs has grown a lot over the years and its typical to see large groups of quite slow runners now when we were younger it was mainly just “odd” people who ran in clubs and they did it almost exclusively for the competitive side.

stox
    Free Member

What @lunge said – joining a running club 3 years ago at the age of 41 is hands down one of the Best things I’ve ever done.
    If you’re thinking about it, just do it. Go along and give it a try.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Thanks @mogrim

@lunge
    , I’ve signed up to Parkrun due to this thread. Not a club I know but a step in that direction

lunge

Parkrun is brilliant Vanilla, it’s where it all started for me (sort of). Always friendly, loads of support, it’s awesome. A few clubs use it as a recruiting ground too.

Pieface

Not all clubs are the same, so you may change clubs a few times until you settle. I joined my current club as they were local, have a lot of heritage and a lot of status. At first I was a bit put out by the lack of structure and organisation, based on how other clubs operate. Also it seemed to be 6 clubs in one. However over the years it’s the lack of structure and expectations of members that I love. I rarely go on club runs for various reasons, I’m one of those that turns up for key races, run for the club and occasionally take part in the odd club event.

mogrim

I’ve signed up to Parkrun due to this thread

Don’t forget to warm up beforehand! 10-15min with a few sprints towards the end or similar, get the blood flowing and wake your legs up.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 7,683 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.