Viewing 40 posts - 5,561 through 5,600 (of 7,707 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Some items on sale at Salomon

nostrils
    Free Member

@lunge, thanks but out of my size unfortunately.

Haven’t been running for a week or so due to my hip problem but went out for a gentle 4km tonight. Hip felt fine whilst running, but is uncomfortable now whilst sitting at my desk. Walking and standing around feel fine however sitting and driving are uncomfortable. Very frustrating!

Pieface

@dashed

Welcome to Sheffield, the rural biking is good, but the running is even better!

I run up to Ox Stones above Lady Cannings most days via Limb Valley from Greenhill. There’s so much choice in the area. Enjoy!

turboferret

I set a 2021 new year resolution of running every day of the year, unfortunately that came to a resounding halt after less than a week 🙁

Woke up with classic flu symptoms, raging headache, hot/cold, aching all over etc. Went for a precautionary COVID test to be on the safe side, which came back negative. Felt much better the following day apart from headache, but the next day struggled to get to sleep due to a painful chest – mainly heart. Also sore when fully inflating my lungs and expanding my rib cage. Spoke to my GP who suggested an ECG to be on the safe side to rule out a few potential issues, so popped out for what I assume would be a short trip. ECG person then recommended a blood test in addition, so reluctantly I went round to A&E which was absolutely bursting at the seams. I was sharing a room normally used for a single patient with 4 others most of the time with tiny clear partitions between us. 2 blood tests and another ECG later I eventually escaped without much of a diagnosis, just a viral chest thing, and a suggestion of another COVID test. I had developed a sporadic cough by now, often precipitated by trying to fully inflate my lungs, but another negative test suggested the chances of it being COVID was low, despite symptoms being remarkably similar…

Feeling virtually fine now, despite a residual cough, and I have started running again, a couple of steady ~20k morning outings where I’ve notice my HR has been significantly raised over my pre-illness norm, which is to be expected. Gradually easing myself back into things without any rush.

duckman

After a 2020 with knee(x2) achillies, Covid, hammy(2) ankle and heel injuries…I will pass 100 for the month tomorrow. Shite compared to many on here nae doubt, but; I am a runner again!!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb Duckman, that’s great mate. 👍🏻

claudie

Injured again. I’ve completed ct5k three times in the last 12 months only to get injured just as I complete it each time. This final time I kept my runs to only two per week, I religiously walked for 5 mins before and after for a warm up and cool down, kept the pace even and avoided sharp hills. My calf went yesterday forcing me to stop almost immediately and limp home after only 6 mins of running. It seems to be fine on the bike but walking is painful – any ideas on what I’ve done and what I’m doing wrong. Determined to be a runner but not being very successful

Marin
    Free Member

I’ve had similar issues Claudie, very frustrating. I dropped my pace from what I thought was a good speed for me to about 2/3 my former pace. Seems to be working so far I’m doing about 3.5 miles now working up to 5. Can’t ride me bike for 2\3 months so running it is. Hopefully not limping! Monica it it will help but worth a try. Good luck.

sadexpunk

just starting out with a bit of plodding, got my brooks trainers, wireless earphones and a decathlon belt for my phone. all the gear and no idea eh? 😀

done a 5k both yesterday and today, no great pace obviously, but im trying to nail down which app id feel is most use for logging times.

i installed komoot onto an old phone, and ive got strava on mine, and took both phones with me.
    today, strava said id done 4 miles, komoot said 3.7. zooming in on the runs, i can see strava has me all over the place, in fields, in the road, its waaaay more ‘zigzaggy’ than komoot, so not as accurate. that sound normal?

also, as im going to be doing 2 or 3 different runs many times over (hopefully), and looking for improvement, ive been trying to see if theres a way of repeating say ‘run 1’ and comparing times. it looks like you can only do this with the paid version of strava, ‘matched activities’, but not at all on komoot?
    its no biggie, i can still call my runs Run 1, Run 2, Run 3 and skip between them to compare, but just wondered if any of you do the same thing? set the app to ‘Run 1’ and repeat it to compare times?

btw, i think komoot will be of more use for biking, i can build routes to help me navigate in unknown areas before i go, so id probably prefer that one for running too, but no problem having an app for each activity if thats what makes sense.

thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Strava doesn’t measure your distance, your phone does, sounds like the phone GPS is unreliable (fairly common IME).

Just make your run a segment, then you can look at your previous efforts of you wanna compare.

loum
    Free Member

Sdexpunk,
    Strava shows you a little “taster” of matched runs in the free version. It Let’s you know how many times you’ve done that run, and some basic stats of the latest 5 in a table, with a trend line graph. None of its clickable so it’s obviously designed to draw you into subscribing, but it is enough for me to see any improvement or change in effort (HR).
    Personally, I find the suunto native app that my watch uploads to be the best for tracking my own stats and comparing and tracking progress. People use Garmin too, but I prefer the suunto app. Strava is more a link for mates, almost running social media. Also Loads of apps will output to others so you’ll probably be alright just tracking on one and setting up to output to some other apps, then see what you like. Wife likes “runkeeper” cos that’s what he mates are on.
    Komoot has a good rep for route planning, but not used myself. I know suunto can automate input output to it, so if i did it would be as well not instead – if that makes sense.

sadexpunk

Strava doesn’t measure your distance, your phone does, sounds like the phone GPS is unreliable (fairly common IME).

ah that makes sense, thanks. i’ll mebbes swap the apps/phones around and see if it swaps the ‘dodgy line’.

Just make your run a segment, then you can look at your previous efforts of you wanna compare.

can you do that if its a straight there and back return journey or do segments have to be from a to b?

Personally, I find the suunto native app that my watch uploads to be the best for tracking my own stats and comparing and tracking progress.

thanks, will check that out on the play store, i assume you can use it without a watch?

seizing up this morning, may have to leave it a few days before another run 😀

thanks

surfer
    Free Member

Track running seems a long way away at the moment but this thread is inclusive so here is a bit of the “Dark side”. Ovett as a child….. 2 mins long bt you really need to watch the last metre. The consummate racer…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

can you do that if its a straight there and back return journey or do segments have to be from a to b?

No they can start and finish wherever you want, you create a segment you need to have ran the route, then all you do is click create segment and select start and end point.

I’m pretty sure you’ll need a suunto watch before you can use suunto app btw, ditto garmin connect. Strava is better than both IMO.

lunge

Class from Ovett, always run to the line

oldbloke
    Free Member

Claudie – none of us could say what’s up, but your experience does suggest some things are a bit too tight. But in case it helps – I ended up in a bit of a mess of injuries at one point and it took a long time with a physio to get fixed. But one thing which really helped that was walking lots. Time on feet / building some fitness / stretching / speeding up over time / adding inclines. Every day. Eventually started adding little running sections into the walks and got back to it.

dashed
    Free Member

I’m pretty lucky to work for an organisation which values our mental health, particularly at the minute when we’re all locked in bedrooms / studies etc working from home and pretty much from dark to dark. So in an effort to get people to use their lunch breaks properly and not just sit on more Teams calls, or wander the 20 steps to the kitchen for a quick sandwich, we’re all taking an hour off to get outside and take a walk or do some exercise, then document it with photos. I’ve been encouraging my team to do this sort of thing for ages and often run at lunchtimes myself, but it’s quite a step forward for such a large corporate organsiation to actively encourage and support this thing during a working day.

So I’m off for a quick run with my one allowable covid friend and our combined 4 dogs (no limit on those in social gatherings is there??) around the Burbage valley. Photos to follow 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

also, as im going to be doing 2 or 3 different runs many times over (hopefully), and looking for improvement, ive been trying to see if theres a way of repeating say ‘run 1’ and comparing times. it looks like you can only do this with the paid version of strava, ‘matched activities’, but not at all on komoot?

What about just using the stopwatch feature on your phone? Okay it doesn’t give you distance, but if you are just wanting to measure your time over a certain route then it’s the easiest, and most accurate, way to do it. Then just stick the details in a spreadsheet or similar.

surfer
    Free Member

I have always used tech as it has developed (Worked in IT all my career) so had a GPS when they first came out etc but I was running for very many years before and just used a wristwatch to time my runs over a distance. As much as its nice to explore and vary your runs, if you are training seriously and cant get out during the day then a large part of your training is going to be on lit roads/pavements (especially an inner city lad like me) I just ran the same loops day in day out so knew my time for them. Never got bored because I love running. Timing your loop is all you need, dont worry if your 6 mile loop is really 5.6 it doesn’t matter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about just using the stopwatch feature on your phone? Okay it doesn’t give you distance, but if you are just wanting to measure your time over a certain route then it’s the easiest, and most accurate, way to do it. Then just stick the details in a spreadsheet or similar.

Was gonna suggest this too, once you have your loop sorted, then a simple time check is all thats required to keep an eye on progress.

kennyp
    Free Member

What about just using the stopwatch feature on your phone?

Or even better, buy one of the old fashioned stopwatches. The round ones with the big button on top. Okay it does exactly the same as your phone but it’s way more cool. Channel your inner Alf Tupper.

mogrim

Was gonna suggest this too, once you have your loop sorted, then a simple time check is all thats required to keep an eye on progress.

Don’t forget to pick a route that doesn’t have traffic lights to cross or whatever. Personally I’d choose a loop of a park about 10-15min run from my front door, and then time the loop 2-3 times (length depending, obviously!).

sadexpunk

curse you all with your sensible suggestions!

but yes youre right, i dont need strava/komoot at all for running do i…..
    however, i spose knowing the rough distance would be useful, not too fussed if its that accurate, just to know if im at 10k, half marathon distance, that type of thing.

thanks

alanf
    Free Member

Mapometer will give you an idea of distance.
    If it’s a similar route then you only need to get an idea once and then can re-run it again to gauge progress from that

sirromj

Haven’t posted in here for a while. I’m still running, just enough to keep it ticking along, can go out for a 4 mile run non stop without it being a major issue. Today was hard going into a head wind on return leg, and think it was only my 2nd run of the year. But much better position than I was in last year where I was unable to run for any distance without shin splints and wasn’t sure I’d ever get to this position where I am now. Happy with running just as a compliment to the other physical exercise I do.

Pieface

Last year I was a bit lost for things to aim for so choose to try to complete 3000 miles in the year but came up short by 100 miles. I’m not bothered about going for that again as it just turned in to a bit of a boring pursuit of miles. I enjoyed the summer mornings and it was good inspiration to get me out, but when I actually realised i might have been close to achieving it, it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax.

I did manage a 42 mile self-supported round in the Lakes on a super hot day and struggled, but hadn’t really done any proper training but got round in 12 hours.

So as it looks like there’s going to be no racing this year, the wife casually suggested I do a solo Bob Graham round this year, so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth I’ve decided to go for it. 3 years ago I did it fully supported in 22 hrs and found it relatively easy. Going solo gives me more freedom, but not sure about the whole self (can stash gear or use cafes) / non-supported effort. I think ultimately I’d like to get round faster than my supported effort and don’t mind stashing stuff, but driving out to Wasdale to stash food seems to defeat the flexibility option and relying on Cafes (of which there are few) could be a folly, so it might be best to go unsupported.

Anyway I need to get some training in around the Peak District in the meantime, and find some suitable shoes I can wear all day (which I think I’ve found)!

sadexpunk

Mapometer will give you an idea of distance.

thanks, hadnt heard of it, appreciated.

Spin
    Free Member

. I think ultimately I’d like to get round faster than my supported effort and don’t mind stashing stuff, but driving out to Wasdale to stash food seems to defeat the flexibility option and relying on Cafes (of which there are few) could be a folly, so it might be best to go unsupported.

Physically there isn’t much difference between solo with static support and solo with stashes. Mentally it’s a different thing though and some will struggle more than others with that. As for solo self contained, well that depends on how you feel about carrying 24hrs worth of food and sufficient water. The water could be the challenge on the BG, depending on conditions there are some pretty long sections with limited water options. Relying on cafés could be time consuming and risky

Going faster in any of those styles than a supported round will be a challenge unless you’ve generally improved as a runner but challenge is what it’s all about! I’m not convinced that having a target time is always helpful in these things as there’s a lot that can go wrong in 24 hrs of running and you never know how you’ll feel on the day. That’s my ten cents based on 2 successful 24hr rounds (CRR&BG) and 2 failures (BG and PB) 🙂

Edit: my successful BG,CRR and failed BG were solo static support. Failed PB was solo with stashes but ultimately it was weather, a niggling injury and a sudden rush of common sense that killed it.

Another edit: you can keep a bit of flexibility by very carefully stashing non perishables. For the PB nobody was going to happen on my stashes but I labeled them with what they were for and a date when I’d have removed them by just in case.

Pieface

Cheers Spin. I think water will be ok, as long as its not bone dry i know where most of the water points are, can always pilfer water from Wasdale campsite. Carrying all the food is going to be a fair heft, and Dunmail Raise is probably the only practical stash point but is probably most beneficial. Thanks for your advice!

Pieface

For anyone suffering niggles, a few minutes every night with a foam roller on the hamstrings / quads and glutes works wonders, maybe a massage ball too.

Spin
    Free Member

I think water will be ok, as long as its not bone dry i know where most of the water points are

I thought I did too but it was in the middle of a proper heatwave and pretty much everything was dry or such a trickle that I wouldn’t have been happy supping it.

dashed
    Free Member

Utmost admiration for successful BG rounds. We tried to walk it in 3 days a couple of years back and failed miserably. Day 1 was ok (about 55km I seem to recall – legs 1 & 2) then the weather crapped out massively so we bailed on leg 3 and took styhead pass to Wasdale. Day 3 the weather was even worse – took us about 12 hours to do Leg 4 and some of the worst conditions I’ve been out in the fells. Terrible visibility meant route finding was really slow with no reference points and having to resort to oldschool nav – even though we knew big chunks of the route! But I still have dreams of doing it one day 😉

dashed
    Free Member

On the fell running theme – do any of you wear waterproof socks? I’ve always just got on with wet feet and never had a problem. But a couple of wet / icy / snowy runs lately and I’ve got really cold feet and then subsequently had chilblains on a couple of toes (prob jumping in a hot shower didn’t help!) which were bloody painful. I’ve got a pair of sealskinz to try but they’re bulky and not very snug fitting so not holding out much hope. Other option is just get on with cold feet for the rare days there’s snow underfoot, but warm up slowly afterwards to try and avoid chilblains.

whitestone
    Free Member

I have done when it’s slush or you are going in and out of freezing level but if it’s just wet then I apply rule #5.

One such day was reccying the Wasdale leg of the BG – raining when we started up Yewbarrow, sleet by halfway up, snow on top. Then we were in dry snow when on the summits and in wet snow or slush on the cols. The only other people we saw were three walkers on Pillar, it’s the only time I’ve been on Great Gable and not met anyone. A really grim day weatherwise.

@spin
    – could you PM me please? I’ve tried to PM you but your user profile doesn’t come up.

Pieface

One major benefit of the solo BG is your not tied to a particular date when all your supporters can do it, you can go on a weekend that looks like its going to be decent weather.

Neoprene socks have been my choice, 3mm from Decathlon. I have a pair of winter shoes that are a half size larger to accomodate. Wear a thin pair underneath to prevent blisters in theory, but I’ve always got on fine with them straight. Toes are normally alright for the cold, its my hands that tend to suffer.

lunge

I’ve tried running in SealSkins but don’t like them at all.
    I’ve got a pair of GTX lined shoes which are OK but don’t half make your feet sweat and a pair of Nike Shield that are better but not quite as waterproof.
    In truth, I just accept my feet get wet and don’t worry about it.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Wet feet is just normal. Cold though? In mountains in winter? No thanks. I’ve been using seal skins for years and happy with that. Find the feet less soggy and white with them rather than neoprene.

Spin
    Free Member

@spin – could you PM me please

@whitestone
    just done that, let me know if you didn’t get it.

Edit, reminds me of the old country song, ‘if your phone isn’t ringing you’ll know it’s me’.

dashed
    Free Member

Thanks folks – I’ll give the sealskins a try. Not fussed about wet but had a few runs over the last couple of weeks with snow / ice mixed with wet and boggy so it’s the cold (and horrible blistered and bruised toes due to chilblains) that I’d like to minimise.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

For those who have done the BGR, how have you gone about planning and learning the route?

Viewing 40 posts - 5,561 through 5,600 (of 7,707 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.