Viewing 22 posts - 5,401 through 5,422 (of 5,422 total)
  • The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

Pair of Vomeros and terra kigers on the way – rude not to at that price… even though I’m hobbling at the minute and can’t run. I thought I was a shoe in for my 1000km goal this year – then a case of Covid, followed by nasty IT band, which should roll straight into my hernia op in a couple of weeks. That’ll take me to Christmas nicely – and only 70km to go! Seriously wondering if I’m going to make it at this rate!!

Premier Icon lunge

Milers arrived today, first impressions are exactly as many reviews have said. They feel a bit heavy, they’re a bit uninspiring to look at and they feel very soft with little or no pop. In truth, I’m not overly impressed out of the box, but then every review I’ve read warned to expect that and that I need to run in them to make a decision.

Also bit the bullet on a pair of Terra Kiger’s as for £50 is seemed rude not to.

that’s 3 new pairs if Nikes ordered in 2 weeks, Mrs Lunge will not be impressed.

Premier Icon lunge

First run in the React Milers and very impressed.
    Did 15 miles yesterday so was expecting today’s 10 to be a bit of a slog but alas no. They are ugly, and they are not light but they run really well, very comfy and seem perfect for the slower runs we all do.
    Very impressive for £50.

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

@lunge – yep, that mirrors my feeling about the milers. I bought a pair in the last sale and have done a couple of hundred km in them now. Nothing exceptional, ugly but they do seem to just work for slow steady stuff and I found them comfortable out of the box.

Premier Icon magoos_mate
    Free Member

I got some Junipers at 34 quid!!!

Jurys out on wether they’ll be any good for actual running but i dont need any more slides caked in mud cluttering the porchway than there already is.

Premier Icon Marin
    Free Member

I’m a bit more of a plodder than a runner currently but seem prone to pulling the same calf muscle after a while then hobble about for a few months. I only run on the beach or trails and avoid pavement or roads. Do any of you use the compression sock affairs to ward off this issue and does it work for you. Apologies if it’s been covered there’s a lot of posts to scroll back through.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only run on the beach or trails and avoid pavement or roads

I’d change that, quick smart. There’s a lot of misinformation about running on asphalt, but it’s generally flat and has a predictable landing.

The same cannot be said for sand and mud.

I enjoy running on trails and beach, but 90% of my running is on the road.

Premier Icon lunge

@marin, there is much debate about calf sleeves as to if they make a difference or if they’re snake oil.
    I started using them on long runs after some calf issues. I think they help, but there is a real chance that it’s all in my head. I do find them useful in the cold to help warm the muscles up. You can pick a pair up at Decathlon for £15 so you can try them for not much outlay, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/compression-running-sleeves/_/R-p-308493
    I truth though, you likely need to work on the cuase of the issue. Calf raises and lowers on a step along with lots of stretching seem to have fixed my ongoing niggle.

Premier Icon Marin
    Free Member

Thanks lunge I do lots of stretching but I’ll give them a go and cross my fingers as I do lots of stretching. Physical job and lifestyle trying to prolong both.
    Nobeer I stopped running road as it was giving my hips loads of grief. The beach is nicer just swap the issue to my calf instead!

Premier Icon dovebiker

I’ve never used calf-sleeves, but I have a couple of pairs of Injinji knee-length toe socks. I found that the toe socks prevent blisters on my toes on ultras / long training runs particularly if wearing oversize footwear for really cold conditions. It’s nice to have the longer socks as extra protection for lower legs when running when it’s cold and windy.
    Shoe wise, I was waiting to see if I could get some new Salomon trail shoes with a discount, as my old ones had worn out. Picked-up some Scott Supertrac Gore-Tex shoes from Sportsshoes instead and pretty pleased with how they perform. I mainly run offroad, from soft mud, forest tracks covered in brash and mountain tracks so wanted good grip, but some degree of cushioning against stones and sticks etc. Upper is reassuringly secure (unlike some ‘trail’ shoes where the whole shoe twists around your foot) and pretty good grip – no slipping on the descents particularly.

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

Fancy pants trainers question – do any of these new, “fast”, carbon midsole shoes have removable / replaceable footbed in them? Just got a pair of the Next% Tempo to try and they’ve got a flat, fixed insole which I know will cripple my high arches. I run in high arch support footbeds in all my shoes and no longer suffer plantar fasciitis.

Premier Icon lunge

None of the Nike shoes do @dashed.
    I have a feeling the Saucony Endorphin range have a removable insole.

Premier Icon duckman

My milers have arrived and dear God; I may put them on the mantle to keep my grandson away from the fire. In keeping with 2020 I am currently borked but looking forward to trying them.

Premier Icon lunge

My milers have arrived and dear God; I may put them on the mantle to keep my grandson away from the fire.

Hahaha, the Nike designers definitely had a day off for them didn’t they?

Premier Icon lunge

Terra Kigers arrived today.
    Feel like a racing flat on the foot. There’s not much drop at all and not much cushioning either.
    Upper seems quite study, good toe protection and quite a low heel too which I like.
    Outsole is nicely aggressive, rubber feels sticky and will easily handle the kind of trails I run. It’s much more so than the Pegasus Trail which feels like a more all round shoe.

Related, I’ve also found out that Nike offer a no questions 30 day (60 at the moment due to Covid/Xmas) return policy. I’ve exchanged messages with them and they’ve told me that even if you’ve run in them and they’re covered in mud they’ll still honour it. Useful to know.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Still making slow progress through the None-to-run program, up to 1 minute running and 1.5 minute recovery at the moment.

It’s actually really refreshing having no ambitions or pride regarding running as I can be that guy plodding about in old hillwalking gear and knackered shoes, being put to shame by overweight 50 year old women (and fair play to them, that’s not a criticism), but I can still get home really pleased with myself and feeling like I’ve had a good workout.

I actually thought I’d be a bit faster/stronger runner than I appear to be, I used to put in some big days in the mountains hiking over multiple tops with camping gear on my back, and I’m reasonably fit on the bike, so I thought the two might combine well for running, but no 😀

At least the ITB thing seems to be controllable, lots of side plank, clams and lateral band walks and/or glute bridges with a band on the knees.

My masseuse also showed me the perfect stretch for the TFL muscle which as well all know is the actual source of IT band issues 😉

Happy newbie so far anyway, let’s see if I can build up to actually running a whole 4k by the new year when I’ll maybe treat myself to some new shoes…

Free Member

Guid stuff, cracking day for it. Escaped the laptop for a lovely winter lunchtime 5 miles there, grand.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

@lunge – the TKs are 4mm drop I think. They do feel fast and sort of encourage you to push on.
    My first pair of TK5’s have worn away so much of the sole on the fore foot they are like a racing flat although that doesn’t help much in the current slopfest. I think that’s partly due to me wearing them loads in the first lockdown as I find them really comfy.

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

Mine are here and can echo what you said.
    Reminded me of an astro turf football boot under foot. In a good way, close to the ground, just enough cushion, and plenty of grip. always liked them for running fast.
    But, the upper is a bit short of volume for me, I’ve wide feet and high insteps, and they’re a bit narrow and a bit too flat. Probably going back , but that’s cos of my funny feet shape
    😭
    Unless I wear them round the house for a few days and hope they stretch.

Premier Icon turboferret

I was glad of the proper mapping on my Garmin this morning as I got disorientated in the fog on Wimbledon Common 😮 Fog is probably even worse in the dark using a head torch as you only really get a little illuminated bubble. Fortunate that it was only a little inadvertent loop through flat woodland rather than anything with more serious consequences.

I’ve ramped my mileage back up to what was typical for my last couple of marathons, however previously most of those miles were split over 2 commuting runs a day, which are much easier to recover from. I’ve had to be quite careful now the’re virtually all fairly long singles to ensure that the majority are paced nice and easy, and that the hard sessions are well spaced apart. The legs seem to be adapting fairly well to over 2 hours every morning though, even if the 4:20am alarm does mean a bit of a low spell mid-morning…

Premier Icon lunge

@turboferret, how many miles are you doing per week? 2 hours every morning at your pace would seem to suggest “lots”.

I put in the 100 days exercise challenge thread, but it was stunning running conditions last night, clear sky, no wind and ice cold.
    Started out planning a gentle 8 mile run and then bumped into a club mate a mile in so the easy 8 turned into one of the fastest 10 milers I’ve ever run .What’s even better is that it felt effortless.
    Absolutely buzzing after that one.

Free Member

Brilliant Lunge, it’s awesome when that happens, feels as if you could run all night.

Viewing 22 posts - 5,401 through 5,422 (of 5,422 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.