• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Pieface

The inquest in to Chris Smith suggests he died from Hypothermia. As has been said, often we’ll go out under prepared, but hopefully this can be a stark lesson for us all to pack a small survival bag or similar and other safety essentials, especially at this time of year. The lessaons learnt are applicable to all outdoor activities.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a34517555/team-gb-runner-missing-in-perthshire-hills/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflowFBRWUK&fbclid=IwAR2DPIUMM027jyIfw4RZoJ_kfUHGm20KpuoDCHfdgso_twWH7AM1eE5PHdA

http://testedtodestruction.blogspot.com/2020/02/go-outside-sit-down-wait.html

bob_summers

Very sad and brought home the risks. I was running in really poor weather last Jan in open land similar to some western fells (reminds me of Black Combe if anyone knows it) and got quite lost on a midweek morning on which no-one was likely to happen across me. Probably in jacket, shorts, and carrying very little.

That same morning, a light aircraft crashed into the other side of the hill I was on. I didn’t hear anything but they didn’t reach the wreck until hours later, the clag was so bad.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, very sad, poor guy and his family.

I’m not sure a survival bag alone would prevent such occurrences, without any other insulating layers….

highlandman
    Free Member

As so often happens, it wasn’t just one thing that went wrong for Chris; a combination of being under equipped, over optimistic in his plans and then the weather took an unpleasant turn while he was already out and exposed on a remote hill top as daylight failed. Many of us will have been in similarly exposed settings where luck, preparation or self-rescue have prevented a disaster. There are more runners and MTBers up on the big hills now than ever. Carrying sufficient effective kit to survive an immobilised night in the open should really be the minimum standard. It’s no fun scraping up what’s left behind.

turboferret

I was a bit annoyed that BA cancelled my flight home from Bahrain which was supposed to be getting me into the UK this morning (Friday) 🙁 I’m now on a Gulf Air flight arriving Saturday morning instead.

However, I have just discovered that from 4am Saturday morning, Bahrain is on the safe corridor list, so I escape 2 weeks of quarantine by about 2 hours! The running can therefor continue without any issues 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It was meant to be! Nice one.

Spin
    Free Member

Not saying this is the case here but I think a lot of fell runners don’t always consider the difference in risks and therefore essential safety equipment between a race and solo running.

A bumbag with super light waterproofs, gloves and hat is plenty for most races as they are usually in the summer, not remote and marshalled to some degree. Out on your own requires more kit but not everyone always does that.

jam-bo

I’ve just started running all the streets in my town. Turns out there are a shit load of culs-de-sac’s

hazmo

Bit of advice needed for a new runner please. I’ve just finished the couch to 5k, which has been great. Fitness is up. Strength is up. Both of which are helping on the bike. I’ve never been much of a runner, but am hoping to keep going, but….my knees are a bit more ‘crunchy’ than usual. No pain. No injuries that I’m aware of. Before I plough on….am I setting myself up for injuries/arthritis/whatever down the line, or is it a case of ‘of it doesn’t hurt then go with it’ kind of thing?

mark88

Finally got round to picking up some trail running shoes (Asics Fujitrabuco as recommended here) that I’ve been pondering since last lockdown.

Any tips for favourite 10km ish runs in the Lakes to get me started?

Pyro

Mark88 – where in the Lakes? It’s a big spot 😉

mark88

Take your pick – I’ve got time to kill this month…
    South is best (I’m in Dalton), but I’m a drive regardless so as long as it’s within a reasonable distance I’m happy to explore.

Pyro

I stay in Bardsea occasionally and have a nice run or ride loop that goes Bardsea – Sunbrick – Baycliff – Scales – Birkrigg Common trig pillar and back down to Bardsea. Some of that might be a bit muddy at the moment though!

A bit further out but over Millom way, the paths round the old barrier and Hodbarrow point are nice. If you want a hilly 12km fell run, park up near Whitbeck and do the obvious loop up onto Black Combe.

You’ve also got Grizedale not too much further north. Depends how much climbing you want to do, but there’s plenty of lower possibilities if you park at High Cross or Moor Top.

mark88

Thanks, Black Combe is already on the list.

Hilly as possible and spots I’m unlikely to visit on the bike would be the ideal.

lunge

The standard runner dilemma @hazmo.
    Most of us would barely run if we stopped for every niggle, it’s about working out what is a niggle and what is a problem.
    I’m not quite sure what you mean by “crunchy”, but a few things that may be worth trying are:
    A good warm up before you start running. C25K gives you that but many stop doing it as soon you finish the course.
    Try to run on soft surfaces for a week or 2 and see if it improves.
    Make sure you’re knee are warm enough, even if that means wearing tights then you’d prefer not too.
    If it persists a trip to a sports physio will confirm if it’s something to worry about or something to ignore.

hazmo

Thank you @lunge for the reply. Like I say, there is no pain, so not a niggle. When I squat down, both knees sound like (and forgive this awful description) somewhere between walking on snow and rustling a carrier bag (they have always been a bit like this, just a bit more so now). Anyway, I just wanted some sort of a sense check…I feel fine and will keep going for now. Tights sound sensible, as does the warm up/down (which I have been doing by walking 5 mins to start and end).

Pyro

The Kendal Mountain Festival 10km route is good – https://www.openadventure.com/kmf/ and there’s a map on there

lunge

@hazmo, from that description there may be something in the post, though in fairness, my ankle has done that for years and is still fine. I use the word “niggle” to mean a mild annoyance whilst running that doesn’t get worse and is generally ignored, a “problem” is something that require attention.

As I say, just for peace of mind, I’d likely get a physio to look at it if it persists long term.

I’d also be making sure your shoes are well cushioned and offered you some protection.

mark88

That looks like a good one to get me started, thanks @pyro . May even end up doing it on the day the race should have been.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

My knees sound like crunching cornflakes when I bend them and have done for years. They also click a lot when running. I’m amazed at the amount of different places in the legs that can hurt or make strange noises.

I’ve always got some sort of niggle and i seem to chase it around the body. Last week it was arch and ankle pain in my right foot that strangely morphed into Achilles pain overnight. Fine after a day on feet and my arch hurts a bit after intervals tonight but not too bad. I expect it will be knees of groin next week. I just tend to ignore it and hope it gets bored and goes away, which it usually does, but that perhaps isn’t the best advice for someone new to running.

lunge

Happy birthday to me!!!!

mogrim

Happy birthday @lunge, they look fast 🙂

My knees sound like crunching cornflakes when I bend them and have done for years. They also click a lot when running. I’m amazed at the amount of different places in the legs that can hurt or make strange noises.

My left knee has decided to start playing up, chronic tendonitis I’ve had for at least 20 years that flares up every now and then. Didn’t even do that much on Sunday… Rest, ice and ibuprofen it is then.

turboferret

@lunge, sorry to point out the obvious, but Nike only seem to have sent you half a pair 😮

P.S. Happy Birthday 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

If you dont have niggles you arent training hard enough, its a tightrope.

Big Bren used to say as a long distance runner “you went to bed exhausted and woke up tired” it goes with the territory

scandal42
    Free Member

I started trail running a few months ago, from nothing. Got up to running 30 minutes off road without stopping and then got a chest infection so done zero exercise for 2.5 weeks. Not looking forward to my first attempt back this afternoon.

One thing I was struggling with was painful upper groin region after running. Sort of following the line of the leg into torso area.

Been enjoying it mostly though and have purchased some Salomon speed cross 5’s as it’s getting muddy.

stox
    Free Member

Enjoy your runs everyone … I’m Gutted that I can’t run since I’m currently isolating having had a positive covid test. I Had plans for a nice long run on the NY Moors this weekend 😕
    Hoping I’m not a wheezy old man when I get back on it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Folks, seems as good a place as any to do this, I’m organising a virtual 5k for charity that will take place any time in the whole of December, but is open for entries now.

£5 entry, which my employer GSK matches, so for each entry £10 wings it’s way to Save the Children.

Thanks folks!

https://www.entrycentral.com/G5K

and some more details and fun stuff will be posted in the facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370654937471915

Straightliner

PSA – Nike have a sale on, Pegasus 37 in some colours/sizes down to ~£73. If you’re a Nike member or join quickly, you can get a further 30% off so a little over £50.

lunge

Spotted that Nike sale, I’ve treated myself to a pair of React Milers for under £50, been debating trying them for a while and at that price it’d be rude not too. Had some more Pegs in the basket but decided as I already have 2 pairs of unused Peg 36’s in my cupboard that was a tad excessive.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

About a week left until the 3 month mark of recovery with the hip stress fracture. Went for a bike ride (on the road) on Monday, putting a ‘bit’ more power down standing on the pedals. In the evening/next day, feeling something (not pain) in the hip area. Fine now but I didn’t think cycling should be an issue, and the doctor agreed. Not sure I’m healed, grr.

dashed
    Free Member

One thing I was struggling with was painful upper groin region after running. Sort of following the line of the leg into torso area.

@Scandal42
    – if you sit on the edge of a firm bench, legs over the side, back straight. Try and lift yourself off the bench using your hands either side of your bum. Does that hurt? If so, inguinal hernia. Don’t ask me how I know 🙁

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyone used the Pegasus 37’s? Vaguely tempted at the price but the reviews I’ve seen are a bit meh compared to the 36. I have the React Milers currently which are good for easy, steady runs, nice and spacious in the toe box but don’t feel very responsive.

dashed
    Free Member

I tried the 37s and found the material inside the heel so slippy that I had terrible heel lift. No problems with the React Milers that I got instead (or previous Nike).

dashed
    Free Member

How do I get the extra member 30% off Nike – I’m a member and signed up a while back but nothing showing? React Milers are £78 for me…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sign in and then use BRIGHT30 at the checkout. Cheers for your comments about the Peg 37, some reviews allude to this as well.

loum
    Free Member

There’s some trail shoes on there too.
    Terra kiger and wildhorse. ( And peg trail if you’re that size).
    I remember someone recommending one of them to me a load of pages back but can’t remember which one or which page though.

duckman

Cheers for that, just got a pair of air milers for under 50.

loum
    Free Member

Found it.
    It was alanf recommended terra kiger. So I’ve ordered some.
    Thanks @alanf. And there’s plenty there very reduced if you need to replace yours.
    🙂

lunge

I think the Peg 37’s is OK. They’re not my favourite shoe but I agree with the heel lift point. Weirdly, I loved them when I first bought them but I’m less sure the more mileage I’ve put in. I am picky about shoes though so I suspect they’ll be fine for many.

I think the 36 was better and can still be picked up in the Nike Outlets. The Vomero isn’t bad either, that’s in the sale too.

Interested to see how the Miler goes, I’m expecting a fairly “functional” high mileage shoe.

alanf
    Free Member

No worries @loum, and thanks for the tip, I’ve bagged a pair in the Red/Black colour for ~£50. I managed to bag my last pair from the outlet for £40 so on a par with those (which are incidentally now flat on the sole at the front.
    I would recommend not doing to much tarmac work in them if you want to retain the tread, although to be fair, they are pretty sticky so work quite well on tarmac too (but wear out fast). They are a bit of an allrounder although come unstuck in heavy mud, which I think I mentioned before.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.