• This topic has 5,198 replies, 229 voices, and was last updated 2 hours ago by surfer.
Viewing 39 posts - 5,161 through 5,199 (of 5,199 total)
  • The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon jodafett

I’m trying for a 10k tomorrow! Combining the two routes I do so I can bail out halfway if necessary! I’ll report back tomorrow if I make it!! Good luck when you try it!

Premier Icon mogrim

I’m trying for a 10k tomorrow!

Good luck!

Premier Icon lunge

I’m trying for a 10k tomorrow!

Go smash it @jodafett, good luck!!!

Premier Icon jodafett

I only went and bloody done it! I know it pales into insignificance compared to most of you guys but it’s a wee goal I’d set myself. Shins complained until about 8k then they gave up moaning. Average pace was 8.3/miles and I did it in under an hour which was my other goal! Well chuffed! Now I’m going to spend the rest of the day stretching!

Premier Icon stavaigan
    Free Member

Any advice on constant calf and hamstring pulls and tears. I stretch warm up hydrate massage etc but an ongoing issue. Love running but impossible to properly get in to. Compression sock make much difference?

Premier Icon jodafett

After advice on here I spend a lot of time stretching. Calf stretches, glute stretches but the key ones (I think) for me have been –

Kneeling on the floor with tops of feet facing the floor and slowly sitting back on my heels

And

Standing up while placing one leg slightly back with the top of yours toes curled under so they touch the floor. Apply downward pressure and you should feel the stretch.

Also

Stand with feet shoulder width apart and roll your feet outward so you’re standing on the outside edge of your feet.

All these were advised by guys on here. I joined this thread on page 127 if you want to look there for advice. It’s helped me massively.

Premier Icon stavaigan
    Free Member

Thanks if much appreciated.

Premier Icon lunge

Good work @jodafett!
    I can confirm it’s lovely running weather here in the midlands, sunny, not to warm and just a hint of breeze.
    After doing 15 miles yesterday I thought I may be a tad tired so went out with no plan at all. 10 glorious miles later I’m happy as Larry with a beautiful ache in the legs.
    Happy Sunday all!

Premier Icon jodafett

Cheers Lunge. I can confirm it was bloody awful in Edinburgh this morning. 40 mph winds made for an interesting run!

Premier Icon sirromj

well done on the 10k. I went out this morning with thoughts of 10k but just not there yet. was warm and sunny with a breeze. 5 miles.

Premier Icon theothernickh
    Free Member

“Any advice on constant calf and hamstring pulls and tears. I stretch warm up hydrate massage etc but an ongoing issue. Love running but impossible to properly get in to. Compression sock make much difference?”

Zero drop Altra shoes changed the game for me. I found them more natural to run in and and now get injured less.

Premier Icon lunge

Zero drop Altra shoes changed the game for me. I found them more natural to run in and and now get injured less.

Yet weirdly, zero drop shoes make a pigs ear of my calf’s and Achilles. Not for me at all.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Well done all the new runners on here with your 10ks and injury avoidance. Keep it up and take it slow – it’s worth it.

I’ve been doing slower runs based on heart rate for a few months now and I’m really feeling stronger. Endurance is much better and I can do a long run and not be shattered.

Longest run ever at 30km today as part of training for 50km ultra in October. Felt good, pace a bit fast at 5:55/km so will be aiming to be slower than that. Legs nicely used, quite tired but still can’t quite believe I ran so far and for 3 hours. Maybe, just maybe I can do it????

As for running clothing. I personally always get way too hot so only if it’s below about 9 degrees will I wear a HH base layer. Pertex good for rain – not waterproof but keeps the wind off.

Premier Icon Rona

jodafett – well done on the 10k. 😃

My run this morning was eventful … got chased by a wayward dog and ended up leaping onto someone’s garden wall to avoid getting chomped. I can confirm that Hoka shoes are also good for the high jump. 😉

Premier Icon lunge

You’ve got to love a bit of bounce, Rona!
    As an ex-high school high-jumper, I love the look of bemusement on the faces of my fellow club mates when I elect to vault over fences and gates rather than climbing over them. One day I’ll bugger it up and land on my arse!

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Joda, superb!.

I’ve been a lazy runner for about 3 months now, lucky if I’ve averaged about 10 miles a week, but been doing loads of hillwalking instead. Need to get my finger out, was out biking yesterday and felt my fitness was down a bit.

Premier Icon Rona

As an ex-high school high-jumper, I love the look of bemusement on the faces of my fellow club mates when I elect to vault over fences and gates rather than climbing over them. One day I’ll bugger it up and land on my arse!

Ha ha – nice to have hidden talents!

I don’t think I’ll be trying that any time soon – I think the technical term for my stature is ‘short-arse’ – which may well be derived from the act of coming up short while attempting to vault a gate and landing on one’s arse! 😉

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

Bugger. Just back from the physio – hernia that needs surgery 🙁

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member
    Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

Morning all.
    Can I pick your brains on how you’re dealing with hydration on your longer runs.
    I’m having a crack at a marathon later next month and I’m going to need to drink.
    I’ve run before, but hydration has always been part of the event, water tables every 3 to 5 miles so it’s been looked after by others and I’ve not worried.
    Now, the marathon I’m going to do will be social distanced, on my own, so I’ll have to look after my own drinking. I guess it means I’ll be carrying water in a camelback or running vest and I’m looking for recommendations for what people use and find comfortable to run with?
    I’ve read that normal running requirements are around 400 to 800 ml per hour. Can’t see myself taking less than 4 hours so that would mean carrying around 2 litres. Does that seem reasonable?
    I suppose Another option could be too run laps passing back past the house ( or even car) every 5 to 10 km, but I think I’d rather run somewhere nice and try to get into a rhythm going further. Multiple shorter Laps always feel longer and harder in my head , so I’d rather not.
    Ideally I’ll get something soon so I can try it on a could of longer runs before the day and get used to it. I’ve seen a few nice vests from Salomon, and sports pursuit have raidlight and UD on offer at the mo, so any experience or recommendations welcome.
    Thanks in advance, loum

Premier Icon lunge

You’ve a few options @loum.
    1. Don’t drink. Be really hydrated before you start and just crack on. It’s very doable but not ideal, I’ve done 20 miles that way, never more but it can definitely be done.
    2. 2 13.1 mile laps via your car/house. My preferred option. I change direction for the second lap which normally freshens things up. You don’t actually even have to do laps, 2 different loops work too, as long as you pass the central point.
    3. Shops. Even in the hills you can tweak your route so you go via a shop. Crap a bottle of water and a Mars bar and you’re sorted.
    4. Hydration packs. There a reason I put it at 4, I don’t like them at all, particularly when they’re full. But many wear them and have no issues at all so I accept I may be in the minority. I have a fairly cheap Decathlon one that I can’t fault, it’s comfy, doesn’t rub, no issues, I just don’t like having a bag on.

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

Thanks @lunge. Think it’s out of options 2 and 4 for me.

Option one is above me. I’ve run a couple of half marathons this week and it’s convinced me that I’m in no shape to do a full one without water and fuel. Both were “fill up on water and go as far as you can” style. First was Monday, and it went well, was actually speeding up towards the end. Thursday I tried again for bit further, 25k , and was hanging at the end. Last 5k we’re rough and slow. TBH, there’s still a bit more training needed to do before I’m happy to go for the full 42k. Probably need 3 long runs, getting up to somewhere round 35 , then get through the full one on excitement and bit of grit.

Option 3 is off the cards too. I’ve ran light like that before, just a tenner and key, and I like it. But this time I’m effectively shielding, no shops allowed for me, so unfortunately it’s out. The run is going to be solo, distanced, and probably early Sunday morning before people are up and shops are open.

I think I’m starting to get a bit of a plan together where I’ll park the car somewhere nice, go 10k out then back one way, then 10k out then back the opposite way, and finish back in the middle. Just got to work out of that second half is doable on a big drink in the middle and perhaps carrying something small.

But then there’s always a side of me thinking this is a lovely excuse for new running gear. I’d actually forgotten decathlon, so that’s a nice reminder. Their stuff always seems to work and is decent value.

Cheers anyway for the advice.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

I’ve got a decathlon evadict running back pack and I think it’s brilliant. I carry phone, bars, nuts, bananas, water in the front pockets in soft flasks or in a bladder at the back, sometimes a wind proof. As long as you get the air out of the bladder I really don’t mind the thing. Yes, my back gets sweaty but I only notice it when I take it off. Quite like the security of having everything with me. Very versatile and well made pack. I sometimes carry a 500ml soft flask on runs longer than an hour in hot weather. They compact to nothing as you drink. Many options.

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

Thanks root, that’s good news for me. two votes say the Decathlon one’s good, and that’s a good price too to take a chance. I can handle sweat, I’m already a sweaty oik, but was worried about bounce and chaffing. How’s the sizing?
    I’m usually L but always seem to need XL with decathlon – slim euro fit. Will have to be online delivery.

I think running with a pack opens up the ” ideal” route I’d like to do, following a river path point to point to the coast. Gives that feeling of “getting somewhere” that’s better motivation when tired. Future exploring runs too 🙂

Thanks all.

Premier Icon turboferret

@loum I used one of these Decathlon vests for my Jubilee Greenway FKT – a pair of 250ml soft flasks on the front were barely noticeable. Good value too, and very minimal, your shoulder blades for example are left uncovered, which means more exposed skin for heat/sweat dissipation. Flasks aren’t included, but these or similar work well and are cheap. You may be surprised at how much you actually need to drink while running – for the 60km Jubilee Greenway I drank about 300ml, which took about 3:45, so potentially similar to your needs, assuming you’re well hydrated before you start.

@dashed I have looked at the Smog Graham before – the route was devised by Rick Pearson the editor of Runners World who I know from pacing the Big Half. It looks quite scenic in places and I know a fair chunk of it from other runs. Without family commitments I’d probably be tempted, but to be out running for a solid ~48 hours seems a little antisocial and unfair on the missus!

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

Thanks turboferret.
    That looks a good solution.
    Did my longest training run so far yesterday, 32k , so I’ve far more confidence that it’s possible .
    Pace really dropped after about 20, and it was tough and painful, but made a decision at 24k to keep going for another 8k loop and get the ‘big’ run out the way. Won’t go past 21 now until the “race” and I’ll try to work on form and speed.
    I’m not targetting a “time” (will be around 5h) but imo, it’s the time taken running past 3hours that’s the sore bit. so the quicker I can get- the shorter that bit is.

Premier Icon mogrim

Pace really dropped after about 20, and it was tough and painful

Did you eat anything? I’d be taking a couple of gels or whatever to eat after about the 20km mark, along with water of course.

Premier Icon lunge

Following from my slightly dark thread yesterday, I decided to join the marginally faster than I am group on last nights club run.
    It turns out that absolutely thrashing yourself trying to hang on is seriously good for the mind.
    Who knew?!

Premier Icon turboferret

Yeah, if I’m out for a hard 20 miler I’ll take a gel with me, maybe scoff one or some energy drink before heading out. Once your glycogen stores are depleted, which can be between 2 hours and 20 miles roughly, then you switch to burning fat, which the body does at a much slower rate. Keep yourself topped up to stave off that switch and you should be able to keep going at a decent pace for a good bit longer.

Premier Icon mogrim

Also had a good club run last night doing intervals, there’s nothing like trying to keep up with the faster guys to make you feel good. Afterwards, of course 🙂

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

It turns out that absolutely thrashing yourself trying to hang on is seriously good for the mind.

When I moved to where I now live, about 25 yrs ago, I jumped in to the fast group for the local club. I was in good shape but it was absolutely furious and was getting faster (their 10 mile route) I knew we only had about 10 mins running left but it was dark and i didnt have a clue where we were so hanging on was painful but I knew if I lost touch I would die of hypothermia… I was wise after the first week but those 10’s were always sub 60 mins and after an easy first few miles the next 6-7 were ruthless

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

@loum

I seldom drank during longer runs, my runs were seldom more than about 15 miles but they were at a reasonable pace. I am old school so I do harp on about “in my day” but…. In my day nobody ever carried fluids or food. I honestly never recall any of the runners in all the years I ran (when I was training properly) carrying anything. We did know the location of a couple of taps for when it was very hot but we would often not bother. I was lucky to train with a lot of fast lads (28 min 10k, 61 min HM with a lot of national and int vests)
    begin hydrated and expect to end thirsty.
    I agree it becomes more important over around 15 miles and TBH we were running around 6-6:30 miling so it does mean you are not out for as long which helps.
    In short for runs up to about 90 mins I wouldnt bother. Over 90 then maybe as you suggest run a loop and have a quick drink after 90 mins. I would never carry anything on runs like that it would drive me mad.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

@surfer. Sounds proper old school. I think Youth helps too, but if you are running fast like that it is hard to drink! Like you say, at a more leisurely pace you are out longer and the heat has an effect.

I always carried water when cycling for over an hour so do the same running. Each to their own. When you take the vest off it feels fast!

Enjoyed a club session last night. Long hill reps of about 650m, 90 second rest then run back down. Surprised myself with how good I felt and was able to keep around 3:40-4:10 min/km up and down, despite not doing much high intensity stuff lately. The more personal evidence I gain, the more I think this low intensity, slow running really has a lot of benefits.

Premier Icon mogrim

In short for runs up to about 90 mins I wouldnt bother.

At the height of summer here I probably would take something, but then it gets proper hot here. In the UK I can’t see it being necessary – make sure you’re fully hydrated before heading out and you’ll be fine. Beyond 90 mins it’s definitely worth taking something, and if you’re going to be out for over a couple of hours I’d add a gel or similar. (Not to mention if you’re training for a marathon you’re going to be drinking + eating something anyway on the big day, so you should be training that aspect too, and of course checking that your chosen food doesn’t have “explosive” effects…)

Premier Icon j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Whilst I’m still unable to run, I’m reading through some running training or form books. Any recommendations other than Daniel’s running formula, Faster road racing and lost art of running?

Premier Icon turboferret

@j4mesj4mes if you are contemplating running a marathon, I’ve had good results from following the programmes in Advanced Marathoning.

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

@j4mesj4mes – any interest in fell running? If so, Feet in the Clouds Richard Askwith and Steve Birkenshaw’s account of his Wainwrights attempt are both good.

I’m still managing to run a bit despite hernia. Ok running but awful when I sneeze 😉 Surgery in a few weeks but trying to get the kms in as I was going to comfortably break my target of 1000km this year. Looking touch and go now!

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

@j4mesj4mes – I’ve read the science of running by Steve Magness. It’s very detailed in the science behind what goes into training and improvement and is quite technical and detail heavy but there are some good concepts and ideas if you can digest all the science and technicalities.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

If you fancy something motivational try

“Zatopek” as well as “today we die a little”
    Both about the greatest athlete of the 20C, Emil Zatopek.

Viewing 39 posts - 5,161 through 5,199 (of 5,199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.