• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glad I finished my february 100 miles yesterday, it’s farkin sibaltic out there today.

oikeith

@lunge If they were a size 10 I’d be all over them!

Have seen a few new pairs on eBay which I am now watching.

lunge

Pleasant 3 miler at lunch in the freezing cold. Hands were frozen but the rest of me was OK once I got moving, my pace was reasonable too, particularly as I was dodging people around central Brum. Certainly beats being stuck in the office over lunch.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Pleased that I got out yesterday for a blast when the sun came out and snow suddenly melted in the afternoon, cos there’s a lot more snow now and it’s looking a bit more long-term. And the wind’s up too, so that makes it a good day for staying in. I’m overdue for a bit of a cut-back so that’s all working out conveniently for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Corr blimey, did the “splish, splash, splosh” home route today, gotta love fresh snow and grippy runners..

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Managed a jog yesterday – hard going in the snow with some waist high drifts in parts.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Bath half marathon, was due to take place on Sunday, just been cancelled. That’s 15,000 runners (including me) with an unexpected lie in!

thecaptain
    Free Member

More than half of all parkruns already cancelled (I imagine many of the rest will also fall) and many of the major races too. Bad luck for those with plans.

ajf
    Free Member

Love the snow! This was Tuesdays run looking westward in the Dales towards Fountains Fell/Malham Tarn way.

Tomorrow more getting out in the snow. Sunday…errr more getting out in the snow?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Timed a wee rest week well didn’t I!….

Though I’m now choking to get back out after only 3 days off it, mibbe have a wee 10k in the morning.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

10k run last night, snow not too deep but driving hail in the face at points made me doubt the wisdom of being out, worth it for some nice moonlit trails and fluffy snowfall silence at points though. Probably the most clothes on I’ve ever worn for running, base layer + fleece under a wind jacket and was still cold at points when I slacked off

theotherjonv

cool pix, where was that?

Signed up to Parkrun……… Guildford one is going ahead at this stage and if anything weather is due to be improving now. Might be snow underfoot but not as cold / windy.  Hmmmm…….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awesome pics 📸

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I never overheat running, even in this weather! Wore a thick base layer and gilet and was fine – tights as well obvs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice pics Mike! 😊

evilsovereign
    Free Member

only signed up for a few races this year, so far. got battle on the beach, next month, (fat bike category), Newport marathon, insomnia 24hr (solo), and back to Snowdonia marathon in October.

I’m still overweight, but working on it, not particularly fast, I seem to hold 5-6 mph for up to 10 hours.

I really love running, and cycling. I think I’m more of a smell the roses, and look at the scenery type of runner.

nickc

Great pictures, managed a jog along the Mersey this s morning, hard dry and frrrrozen!

lunge

Was meant to be doing a long run this morning but scrapped the idea. Easy run around the canals instead, very pleasant actually. Snow was surprisingly grippy and not mega cold either.

theotherjonv

Did my first Parkrun in a snowy Guildfrod Park – some slushy paths and some snowy field meant that it was quite like a proper muddy cross country run without the mud!

No official time yet but about 25.40 according to my strava, which I’m actually quite pleased with. That’s almost recreational runner sort of pace for a 48 years old 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m not going out in this until there’s a significant melt. I’d rather stick to the treadmill than mince about over icy patches, especially with a long run due soon. Hopefully be better by Monday.

Spin
    Free Member

Lots of PBs at Park Run Inverness today, myself included. Hard frozen ground really helps!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The snows almost melted here and 7C, so QECP tomorrow will be a mud fest..

Erm..

yay..

lunge

Anyone tried ON Cloudflyer’s? Tried a pair on today and had a gentle spin on the treadmill and they felt pretty good so am debating treating myself.

theotherjonv

No official time yet but about 25.40 according to my strava

25:22 actually. I’m Charlie Chuffed with that, ground was quite slippy and I didn’t feel I was getting full value for each stride.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone tried ON Cloudflyer’s?

Nope, tell us how you get on..

surfer
    Free Member

Ive been ignoring this thread since I developed a calf injury in December. A frustrating 3 months of zero running and little exercise. Last few days managed to get out for a couple of pain free 2 mile runs so back in the game! New physio located the problem and after 3 painful sessions managed to clear the issue (fingers crossed)

Very slow and gentle build up through spring (at 53 its hard to develop fitness at all, never mind quickly) and maybe start planning some races (maybe an assault on the O/50 Merseyside road GP title!!)

Leku
    Free Member

So I did the Ibarruri round of the Urdaibai Kopa (just outside of Bilbao) yesterday. My flight home on Thursday was cancelled so ended up staying long enough to get to race. It’s a series of 7 trail races, all in the valley.

http://www.urdaibaikopa.eus

21k of trail with 1.2km of climb. It had pissed down the night before so was crazy muddy in sections. As it was all very last minute I hadn’t really trained for it, with longest recent runs of 10-12 km. I must say it was such a fun event. Everyone was very friendly and well organised (4 water / food stations). 12euro to enter on the day, with a finishers metal water bottle and barbecue.

I came 56th out of 76 with a time of 2.25 (winning time was 1.50). Happy with that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whoohoo that looks ace.

alanf
    Free Member

Myself and a couple of running buddies managed to get out for a 24 mile session yesterday morning in ice/snow free conditions despite the recent weather. The location, well it left a lot to be desired but in the end did it’s job and despite the mental thrashing ended up giving us a good session at a decent pace.

Lower level of Tinsley viaduct in the centre of the 2 carriage ways which is double barriered off from the traffic. Up and down 24 times, so in total 48 trips from one end to the other. So many times we could have jacked but managed to prevail and complete the distance. The mental challenge was the worst part although the physical tole was not much further behind.

Loads on inane chatter and counting steps etc – it’s about 700 of my steps from one end to the other – kept us just about going.

Wont be doing that again for a while I hope 😮

thecaptain
    Free Member

After 5 days on the trot on the treadmill it was great to get outside again today albeit slippery muddy slushy and some snowdrifts on my (short) run.

duckman

That looks ace Leku! I have just signed up for a wee stroll on June 24th from Braemar to Aviemore. Takes place on my 50th birthday and will be my first Ultra 🤣 The hard as nails woman at my work who does them said it “was hardly worth calling an ultra.” as it is only 28 miles…Aye; right enough…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

alanf, that sounds awful, well done sir!

alanf
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – indeed, but awful only goes part of the way to describing how it felt.

However, once completed the elation was fantastic.

To actually cover the distance can only serve to give me the inner strength to continue once it gets tough.

Insanity has been mentioned quite a lot to describe the session…

thecaptain
    Free Member

I do a lot of my hard/pace sessions up and down the same piece of road cos it’s the only flat bit anywhere round here. But at least it’s a full 2.5km long. 5 times each way for 25km at marathon pace is the most I’ve done. 24 x 1 mile laps though…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh I used to be terrible at running long straight sections, hated it to the point I’d even avoid events that featured such sections, but I’ve sort of got past that now, doesn’t seem to bother me now.

Sorry Captain, I’d draw the line at doing the same 2.5k stretch all the time though, that’d bore the tits off me! I’m fortunate (I think) to live on the coast, so lots of flat places to run, but after doing a pretty lumpy trail 10k last week, I was cursing not having hills to train on!

theotherjonv

Yay. I’m starting to feel like a ‘runner’ again (I used to be 25 years ago, sort of)

It’s ‘only’ a Sweatshop running community run, but their improver’s run tonight was a 5.1 mile / 8.25k circuit (long by their standards, usual is 3-4 miles), while the beginner’s was a 2 miler. I was all set for the short one after the weekend’s 5k which had left me a bit stiff on Sun and Mon morning, but as the routes were the same to a point I set off with the intent to see how I felt at the split.

Long story short, ran and chatted most of the way round the with a group, never felt in any trouble or discomfort (legs got a bit heavy, but could have continued) and completed the long route in just about 9 min/ mile pace. Which I know isn’t long, or fast, or up the side of a cliff  compared to many on here, but it’s only 1 min/mile above last week’s 5k pace and I was chatting all the way round, which would have been inconceivable even a couple of months ago.

oikeith

Jealous to read so many of your guys are out running, my knee still hurts from running last tuesday… I’m quite sure its the new shoes which have caused this, have dug out the old shoes and am gearing up for a light run this evening to check. Very annoyed by this layoff as I was starting to make good noticeable progress with my running

Digby

New physio located the problem and after 3 painful sessions managed to clear the issue (fingers crossed)

Crossing fingers to clear an injury is hardly ‘scientific’ is it? 😉

Only teasing Surfer. Pleased to hear your physio help sort it and you are back out running again! Was the calf injury related to the Achilles problem you were having last year?

Speaking of physios, I badly sprained my ankle (damaged anterior talo fibular ligament etc – so the base of your foot and toes go black with bruising) whilst out running on New Years Eve – I couldn’t even bare putting weight on it: Shaved it and taped it as per my ‘Wilderness First Aid’ book and luckily got an appointment with my physio as I had a big snowboard trip 3 weeks later.

I had 4 physio appointments before I left for Canada and can happily say that although I had to take it steady with the drops and landings on the snowboard for the first few weeks of the trip, I made a pretty quick recovery thanks to the physio. I am also now back out running (with an ankle brace).

So yeah – let’s hear it for [quality] sports physios!

caspian
    Free Member

Is anyone else in the south doing the QECP trail half marathon on Sunday 25th of March?  Be good to say hi at the start if so.

Also, how does anyone handle running with friends in races – what’s the etiquette on pace?  I have a 50 year old friend who will destroy the rest of us with 7min/miles despite the hills, hence it’s easy to tell him to run his own race solo from the start – we don’t want to hold him up.

But the younger & slower guys – how to handle that pre-race conversation?  My inclination would be to stick together for the first five miles and then split at that point if some are suffering.

Don’t want to offend anyone but don’t want to run a crap race either!

alanf
    Free Member

Run your own race unless you’ve specifically said you will go round with someone else to assist them.

If that is the case then you are effectively sacrificing your race to aid them. If not, then wish them luck at the beginning and get on with doing the best you can. Oh and good luck 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.