Viewing 40 posts - 4,641 through 4,680 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

Oooh, Novablasts @turboferret, interesting.
    I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on those as they are on my list to try. Heard some people raving about them.
    Pegasus 37’s are on my list too, and I don’t think I can justify both, particularly if I pick up a pair of racing flats (NB Fuel Cells TC’s or Nike Streaks) as well.

Disappointed that there is a drop off in activity on this thread. I can only assume you are all out running in the sunshine

Loads of running here. I’m a mere 22 miles off completing my May target of 300 miles which will take me over 1000 for the year and mean I’ve run every day since lockdown began. Legs are a little fatigued now in truth!

Any running shorts recommendation!?

Generally the shortest I can find in Decathlon work for me. Asics Split are nice too and I have some similar style Nike shorts too.
    Basically, I hate long shorts to run in so short and lightweight is what works for me.

mogrim

Any running shorts recommendation!?

Another vote for Decathlon. I particularly like the ones that don’t come with an inner mesh to support your bits, but obvs you need to buy some underwear to go with them.

These are great for summer as you can fit two 250ml soft flasks in the waistband at the back:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-marathon-running-shorts-id_8518020.html

lunge

See, I like the mesh but, these are my preferred option.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/light-mens-running-shorts-id_8488090.html

Spud

Been doing short runs with Mrs Spud as she gets herself running again, it’s slowed me down and means I’m not going too hard and then having to stop get my breath back and go again. Trails are rock hard, as I’m sure they are everywhere, but pleased to report the Nike Wildhorse 6 are great, just what I needed until things get soggy again and I switch back to the Inov8s.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hate wee tiny shorts, thighs from years of football/MTB don’t appreciate the chafe!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

These threads ebb and flow. Started month well and have been a bit slack as it got hotter and I’ve got arch pain. Been out a couple of times a week. Mrs root started “running” and attempting couch to 5k which I’m very proud of her for as she has never liked sport of any kind. Think it’s mainly to get out of the house and escape the kids for half hour.

Been doing 10k or there abouts, all on the road to avoid the massing throngs of Cummings wannabes. After my virtual club 10k 2 weeks ago I haven’t pushed myself that hard as it was incredibly hard, especially solo. I can see myself enjoying a competitive 10k with a large group as it seems the sort of distance where tactics, pacing and the ability to suffer come into play. 5k is just a full on blast from flag to finish, enjoyable in its own way, but, but not long enough for tactics.

Impressive stats from the Wimbledon president. Still got my second mile to do this week for the challenge. I fear I will be slower as haven’t really done speed work for months.

Ok, shoes. I like my saucony omni iso 2
    Support shoes as I’m a knock-kneed eejit. But, I get bruised toes and my arch hurts. Shall I buy a pair of the same a half or full size bigger, it go for something else? I like a big toe box and a drop of around 8mm. These are for road and dry trails to link up roads.

Keep it up! Enjoy reading of people’s experiences.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

@root-n-5th – same issue for me. I love my Brooks Adrenaline GTS, very roomy in the toe box. I do aim for a thumbs length between my big toe and the end. They use guide rails rather than a block I understand.

Just got some Asics GT-2000 8, also very nice. Feel more responsive but narrower.

lunge

Brooks Ghost have a big toe box, to big for me, they are very roomy.

Just clocked up my 300th mile for May and now well over 1000 for the year. Absolutely loving the work at the moment, even if my legs do constantly ache!

mogrim

Finally made it back to the mountains on Saturday after nearly 3 months of lockdown… and it hurt 🙂

Only 12km but I’m sitting here in front of the computer with very stiff legs, it’s shocking how much strength you lose without noticing it. Still, all good fun and it was a lovely day for it. Next weekend we’ll try and manage a bit more distance!

dashed
    Free Member

Been ticking along here too but getting a bit of pain in the top of my knee, kinda under the knee cap so I’ve eased off a bit. hoping it’s just a bit of tendonitis but don’t want to make it worse. Managed to get out into the hills around Manchester a few times now and makes a great change from running along the Mersey early in the morning – although even that is fairly pleasant in this weather! Just over 500kms for the year so far here – way up on last year and well on track for 1000kms by Dec (which was my target).

Also looking around for some new road shoes but not much in stock. Nike had 30% off but nothing I want in my size.

alanf
    Free Member

I know this is a bit late, but last week I passed my run every day for a year. It all started in late September 2018 and I managed to get through April 2019 and completed London for the second time bagging a PB along the way, then the following weekend got brought back down to earth by an Akita trying to take a lump out of my right leg. No lumps removed although it did leave me with a DVT and 3 months on blood thinners (Apixaban). I was slightly annoyed that my streak was over after managing 7 months, so I was eager to get back to it when my leg allowed me to. On the 25th May 2019 I did an impromptu couple of miles which ended up being three altogether so I figured I was fit to start again. Slowly at first, but I soon got back into the swing and here we are over a year later having done something every day. I’ve no idea on mileage as I don’t wear a watch or really keep track of things. I roughly know how far I’ve gone in a week but don’t record it anywhere. I reckpn I’ve probably averaged 50-60 mpw in that time, some more some less, so maybe 2500-3000 miles in the year.
    I’m calling it a win, but I’m not stopping, so just going to keep rolling with the streak until something else puts paid to it!

ta11pau1

Disappointed that there is a drop off in activity on this thread. I can only assume you are all out running in the sunshine

I’m just coming back from 3 weeks off due to a mild separated shoulder injury, did 5k last weekend and again yesterday, now planning on easing back into it with 15k total this week.

Riding is fine now too, rode the first proper trails on Friday for weeks.

I’m at 240km for the test which considering I didn’t finish C25K until the middle of March I’m happy!

Now we’re allowed out to drive and ride proper trails I still want to try and increase my running mileage along with getting in a couple of rides per week.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb alanf, impressive stuff, good to see ye back Ta11Pau1.

mogrim

In my case I think it’s more that all the runs I’ve been doing are local 10k loops, which aren’t particularly exciting – it’s only this week that we’ve been allowed to leave our local area to run somewhere more fun.

Anyway, here’s a photo from Saturday’s run, looking out over the El Escorial monastery.

Abantos

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, no races or particulary interesting runs, so not much to talk about.

surfer
    Free Member

You guys are spoiled 🙂 I grew up in Fazakerley which is a not too salubrious area of Liverpool. My runs (anything up to 70 mpw) were all done on pretty boring pavement loops. 5 mile loop, 7 mile loop 10 mile loop etc. Had plenty of people to train with though. Some very fast guys indeed which helped. Live on the Wirral now so lots of paths parks and bridleways which is much nicer as I get much slower….

Where is it you live Mogrim?

wardee
    Free Member

Wish that were the case.

Been injured for months and can’t get treatment because of covid.

surfer
    Free Member

Whats the issue @wardee?

wardee
    Free Member

Big toe joint.

Had an xray in february which showed soft tissue damage, but no definite fracture.

GP referred to orthopaedics, orthopaedics too busy, with massive waiting list, so referred to advanced podiatrist for ‘early assessment.’ That would have been 6 weeks later but cancelled due to covid.

surfer
    Free Member

I have arthritis in my toe joint. It doesnt flex and the joint is very stiff. I run in Hoka shoes which help a little. I would rather run in more flexible shoes like Nikes but Hokas, with their stiffer forefoot certainly make a difference.

wardee
    Free Member

Changing shoes doesn’t really help in my case. The Xray was because the doctor wanted to see if I had arthritis and nothing showed up.

My toe is fully mobile, just uncomfortable when weight is applied with the toe bent, and the joint swells up if I run or cycle.

mogrim

Where is it you live Mogrim?

Small town NW of Madrid. I’m not complaining about my local trails, BTW, they’re all off road and great for running, just not newsworthy 🙂

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@j4mesj4mes – I think I’ve narrowed it down to some Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20. Thanks for the input. Can I ask how much you size up in them? I’m 11 so tempted to go for a 12.

Cheers.

lunge

@root-n-5th, I find Brooks reasonably true to size, I wear 11.5 or 12 in most shoes and 12 in Brooks. Same size as Nike shoes if that helps?

wardee
    Free Member

I’ve not tried the Brooks models mentioned, but the brooks cascadia I purchased about a year ago were a bit too big in a UK size 10, whereas other brook shoes in the past have been true to size.

According to the label in the shoe it is a size 10 Uk, 45 in European, and size 11 US. The UK size has not been converted correctly and this appears to affect other models of Brooks shoes too.

I would suggest using the US or European sizes for Brooks shoes.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

@root-n-5th I find I’m 10.5 in Brooks, Ascis and Inov8 if that helps

turboferret

We’ve had a fair few virtual races going on, both within the club, and inter-club. 4 mile race at the start of May, and a 5 miler the weekend just gone. I was happy with my 4 mile time, but I did realise that my 10k run to Battersea Park, my race venue of choice, might not be the ideal warm-up. I cycled down on Sunday morning, warmed up for 1 lap, then smashed myself for 5 miles before another lap to cool down. 1 lap is ~2.8km. I think I was slightly under warmed up, but it worked, as rather inexplicably my pace was faster over 5 miles than it was over 4 😀 I think I must be suited mentally to solo time trials, as I seem to be doing better in these events than I would expect compared to guys who are normally faster than me. Either that or I’m just taking them more seriously!

I also broke out the new shoes for the 5 miler, maybe they made a difference….

alanf
    Free Member

#magicshoes

turboferret

It occurred to me that I currently have quite a few pairs of shoes….

The porch:

The shed:

Decided these could all be retired and see it anyone would be willing to part with some cash for them on eBay so into the washing machine:

Came out looking OK

Then the shoe fairy delivered this evening 😀

lunge

Wowzers, you’re worse than me @turboferret.
    How are the Novablasts by the way?

alanf
    Free Member

Wow – I thought that my wife and I had a lot of shoes but that puts us in the shade. You have more than both of us put together!

Will you be partaking in the new Alphafly?

mark88

I’m still ticking along with the rugby club challenges. Really enjoying running whilst the weather is good.

Last week we tested 10k for the first time – PB by over 6 minutes (44.23), so things are moving in the right direction.

I was hoping distances wouldnt continue to increase, but there’s talk of them now making the challenge each week until we hit a marathon, which sounds very unappealing to run alone. We shall see…

mogrim

Bloody hell TF, that’s an impressive number of shoes! And BTW your new 5 miler shoes are quite possibly some of the ugliest running shoes I’ve ever had the misfortune to set eyes upon 😀

lunge

Lovely run this afternoon with a club mate. I’d forgotten how awesome it is running in rain and cooler air than the heat we’ve had the last few weeks. Felt like I could really stretch the legs and knock in a few quicker miles. A cracking run.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Been looking at how I run regarding heart rate zones. I realise my watch hrm isn’t the most accurate but it gives a good general view. It seems most of my runs are tempo or threshhold which is typical of me – push as hard as I can as I enjoy the feeling of running “fast”. I find jogging a bit boring but I guess it has its own pleasures.

After studying a number of people I know on Strava they seem to be doing a lot more miles at lower intensity so I’ve bought that 80/20 book mentioned earlier and will see if I can learn something from it.

Also got some new shoes coming today as, after a discussion with a great shop, I realise my shoes are long and pointy and I need long and wide. Sick of bruised, sore toes and aching arches So I ordered some clown shoes and will see how I get on. It’s a risk not tying them on but not much choice at present.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

not much choice at present

Aye, it’s not just bikes that are flying off the shelves!.

I find jogging a bit boring but I guess it has its own pleasures.

I love a slow, long run, still get the feeling of being done at the end, but get to appreciate your surroundings a bit more, go the hillier route, something different, and exploring new paths. Also good for a chatty social run, passes the miles really well when your out with a mate.

lunge

I get the “long slow runs are boring” thought, happens to me sometimes.
    As said above, route choice is key to making them better, I like having places or things that I want to see on the route. It could be a particular hill or view, but can also be more urban stuff (I wonder what the City centre is like now? I’ve not been to XYZ Town centre in years, I’ll go there) can work too. I did a lovely run recently around the little (in truth, pretty ropy) towns around where I grew up. They were all still dives but it gave some focus and purpose to the run.
    I don’t generally run with music or anything else, but for a long, slower run having a few podcasts lined up works well. Running Commentary is awesome for this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree on all of that lunge, I like to keep my eyes out for wee urban paths and such like in town, and go exploring them on the longer slower runs.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Easy run tonight in new shoes. 10.5km and ran on heart rate – kept it below 149 if I could. Very different experience and really very pleasant. Felt very different to my usual tempo runs which tend to hurt and took in the beautiful scenery of south west London. Could get used to it and push the distance when I get used to shoes. Slightly sore calves, one toe still hurts but wider toe box will hopefully be good in long run.

Looking at pace afterwards it dropped off a bit towards the end but that’s probably
    Expected.

ta11pau1

I find it much easier to go slower when trail running, normal road running, anything below 6:00 /km feels almost like walking.

But on this evenings 6k trail run, 6:40 /km pace was good. I try and keep my HR below 150 on these, 156 max and 143 average tonight.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,641 through 4,680 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.