• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • faerie
    Free Member

I’m in awe of those who can run for more than a minute without collapsing, I’ve downloaded the Couch to 5k and done my first 2 runs. I miss being able to change gear or freewheel when I get puffed out, I felt totally crippled after the first run, even my shoulders hurt so I’m now doing yoga as well. I’m expecting big improvements when I get back on the bike

lunge

Vaporfly’s are back in stockat Pro Direct

The shoes you can’t afford, perfect for the PB you won’t get, at the race that will be cancelled.

lunge

I’m in awe of those who can run for more than a minute without collapsing, I’ve downloaded the Couch to 5k and done my first 2 runs. I miss being able to change gear or freewheel when I get puffed out, I felt totally crippled after the first run, even my shoulders hurt so I’m now doing yoga as well. I’m expecting big improvements when I get back on the bike

We were all their once, I certainly was. Stick with it, you’ll find it becomes very enjoyable in time. Stretch we’ll, and stretch regularly, it’s invaluable.
    Re. Bike fitness, it certainly translates, though for me the main benefit was weight loss.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Faerie, stick at it, I was the exact same, you’ll get there. Lunge is bang on in what he says, bike fitness and weight will be much better.

johndoh
    Free Member

Been out twice with my two 10 yr old girls this week for our ‘daily exercise’ for short runs of 1.6 miles – although I know they are both competent runners, I was quite pleased that they both managed to run it all without stopping at 9min 30 pace.

Let’s see how much that comes down over the next few months as they want to carry on (they prefer it to Joe Wicks on YouTube) 🙂

RDL-82
    Free Member

Been getting back into my running (again 🙄) after getting back feeling good prior to my first half which sadly never went ahead due to some life issues and then lost all drive (recurring theme for me unfortunately).

Anyway. I got myself a nice welcome back today. A nice bit of nipple rub. Bit of blood in the shower. Smarted a tad!

Despite that. Feels good to be running again. A lot busier on the roads and trails now though!

And definitely keep at it faerie.

ta11pau1

I’ve not long completed C25K, started mid December.

I found that my pre-existing fitness from MTB helped my out in the first 2-3 weeks, but there was definitely a run (week 4, run 1 I believe, the first time you’re running more than walking at 16 mins running and 15.5 mins walking) where my fitness ran out!! Make sure to take it slowly though it’s as much about building up your leg/ankle muscles as it is building your fitness. I found it was hard to run for more than a couple of minutes at a time, and when starting you WILL think “there’s no frickin’ way I’m gonna be running for 30 minutes in 8 weeks time!!”…

But… you will. 😀

So, I completed the last C25K run on the 8th March, and started on 15th December. To show how far you can come in a short space of time, I’m now running sub-26 minute 5k’s, and did a 8.75k trail run the other day. Aiming for a 10k trail run either this weekend or next. This morning’s run was a nice 6.5k trail run.

ta11pau1

10k (trail) run, completed. About a 70/30 mix of dirt/tarmac, not huge elevation at 109m but you know what, I could have gone further…

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-kAYnHnPBO/?igshid=1t81prcrejsor

Loads of people out today though, families/dogwalkers/kids on bikes – too many in my opinion as a lone runner avoiding the most used routes…

flyingmonkeycorps

I went out with MiniMonkey this morning, we did a very leisurely 4.5 miles in the sun. She seems to really enjoy the running pram, and looks super cool in her sunglasses. Think I’ve run more in the last couple of weeks than the rest of the year put together.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Treadmill arrived, 5 miles on it this morning, pleasantly surprised that its neither flimsy nor poorly made. Gets a right sweat going with all the kitchen windows and doors closed!.

ta11pau1

Ah yes, sweat. On that theme, I need to order a headband and some proper running underwear as I’m both suffering with sweat in the eyes and chafing down there when running! Been trying to order some cheap ones off decathlon but they seem to hit their daily order limit before I’ve remembered to look…

Any other alternatives? Just a cheap sweat/headband will do, preferably one that doesn’t make me look like John McEnroe…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just had a consultation with a physio re my Achilles which has had tendonopathy (not tendonitis) since January, and hadn’t been getting better – turns out rest is not what it needs. Hope to be building back up to my 19.03 parkrun of last year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon boxers are the business.buff for a headband? I bought a few Hygge bands, much cheaper, funky colours.

grim168
    Free Member

I started couch to 5k in feb. I too got mid way and struggled a bit. Managed 4.8 miles (slowly) last night. It does get easier. Lost a bit of weight and found hill walking much easier. Taking it steady didn’t even bother my 51 year old knees.

ta11pau1

Ah yes, good shout on the buffs, got a couple from motorbike use 👍

Will try and get the boxers ordered from decathlon, it’s almost warm enough to ditch the running tights!

Del

Good work Paul. Following my 25 5k on Tuesday I had another go on a similar role in Thursday and did just over 24, and over 6k in 30. Well happy with that. Nothing by a lot of people’s standards, in terms of either speed or distance, but for somone who’s never really run, to go from zero to sub 25 made me well cuffed. 🙂
    ( Bloody hell Al that’s a hell of a time! 8) )

lunge

Will try and get the boxers ordered from decathlon, it’s almost warm enough to ditch the running tights!

Yep, Decathlon running boxers are bang on, no issues there, they’ve been fine for me for marathons.
    I’m intrigued how you’re still in tights though, anything over 3 degrees and my pins come out, hate hot legs when running.
    And agree with buffs for headbands, or buy a visor or 2 from Decathlon for the full look!

jam-bo

More or less back up to the pace I was at before blowing my ankle up on Boxing Day.

Still not pain free but pain free enough to not be limited by it.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Slow 10k today. Struggled.

Long week of very early starts at work and very little sleep has left me utterly empty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guid stuff jam bo 💪🏻

RDL rest days are even more important than running days, have some time off, you’ll come back quicker and fresher.

ta11pau1

I’m intrigued how you’re still in tights though, anything over 3 degrees and my pins come out, hate hot legs when running.

I’ve been in my tights since I started in December, if it’s below 6 degrees or so I’ll wear my merino l/s top base layer, and if it’s 3-4 or cooler then the gloves go on! I’d rather be a little too warm than too cold, cold hands are the worst as you’re sweating loads but the hands are like ice cubes!

I won’t be ditching the tights until I can get some boxers though, normal ones chafe loads so I’ve been going commando under the tights, my shorts only have a mesh liner so I don’t fancy the junk being THAT exposed to the fresh air!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’re shut now, but Primark lined shorts are absolutely tremendous. 12 quid, I did all my running in them last year, including 4 ultras.

Can’t recommend them highly enough.

lunge

I’ve been in my tights since I started in December, if it’s below 6 degrees or so I’ll wear my merino l/s top base layer, and if it’s 3-4 or cooler then the gloves go on! I’d rather be a little too warm than too cold

I guess everyone is different, I’d rather be too cold than too warm with the exception of hands. Under 6 is a thin base layer (not merino, way to sweaty), and gloves, the legs come out over 3.
    I use arm warmers a lot this time of year too, means I can pull them down as I warm up.
    The winter race look of vest, arm warmers and gloves is one to behold!

johndoh
    Free Member

They’re shut now, but Primark lined shorts are absolutely tremendous. 12 quid, I did all my running in them last year, including 4 ultras.

Agreed – their stuff is great (although you generally need a size bigger than normal) – the shorts are so comfortable and I got a winter top (not a waterproof) which is spot on. You can get a year’s worth of gear for the same price as a branded pair of shorts.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Nobeer yep. Should have rested or at least just walked the dog.

Couple of days chill now for definite.

dashed
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of Buffs for warm weather – I find them too warm as you need to double them over so many times. I’ve got an Inov-8 cap that I like though as it wicks the sweat onto the brim and sort of providing a cooling effect. It certainly stops the sweat dripping into your eyes. And you can just chuck it through wash as well.

I decided I was going to run 10k every day this week – I know it’s a stupid idea and I should be having rest days and not jumping my mileage up so quickly (normally around 25-30k a week) but needed some sort of challenge to get me motivated. 3 days in and feels ok. Not sure if I’ll get to 7 days before old niggling injuries start to show but will back off if i think I’m going to hurt anything as I need a bit of sanity running over the next few weeks…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buffs are fine for me, no hair means plenty venting on top of my head! 🙂

lunge

I like a visor for warm weather running. It’s a bit of a triathlete look but it works for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like a visor for warm weather running. It’s a bit of a triathlete look but it works for me.

Or go for the ultra girleez look, pleated pigtails and kneehigh pink socks…

turboferret

I hope everyone is managing to stay safe while keeping up their running. Obviously I’m not run commuting, but still heading out for a loop most mornings. I now get up at 5 to get my run in before 7 at which point the wife has an hour to herself before taking charge of the kids as I retreat up to the loft office. Fortunately it’s nice and quiet out and about at that time!

You may remember I ran a 5k with the buggy last summer, which Guinness didn’t recognise as a record. I finally got around to putting the video together, which is here if my embed doesn’t work

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/fc4nbSBKUYc&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clearly an embed fail – can anyone educate me? 😀

mrsheen
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m only running on the treadmill, ditto mrs nobeer, Means we can take my daughter out a walk at night, for our once a day exercise.

mogrim

I use a visor for autumn days when it’s not too sunny, or for triathlons 🙂

At the height of summer I prefer a full cap, despite having a decent head of hair you can still end up getting burnt and I’d rather not get skin cancer…

For videos just paste the link, IIRC:

ta11pau1

WTF. 16:11 5k, whilst pushing a buggy.

*feels woefully inadequate.

Good work.

I managed an 8k trail run this morning before starting my work shift from home, will try and do a 10k trail run on Saturday or Sunday, I’m trying to up the mileage I’m doing while sticking to 3x runs per week. 10k at the weekend will make it just under 25k for the week.

dashed
    Free Member

Awesome stuff TF – stunning time!

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m really getting the itch for some trail running (always do after getting a fitness back) but stuck in town at the moment. Trying to mix up and plan routes so I don’t get bored or see too many people is an interesting challenge.

If anyone needs new shoes there’s a sale on at Nike at the moment, and you can also use the code APRIL30 for another 30% off. Brings Pegasus 35 or 36s down to just over 50 quid.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m really getting the itch for some trail running (always do after getting a fitness back) but stuck in town at the moment.

Any golf courses in town? I like to run the 18 holes at one of the multitude of courses round here when it’s pissing, all the when the golfists are indoors nursing a brandy, it’s great training as it’s full of little ups n downs, like a little interval session, but on a good surface too.

Saying that, our local courses are full of retarded dog walkers atm, with zero recall or control.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah parks are the best I can manage in range, I just need to get fitter so I can go further.

flyingmonkeycorps

Faffed around and now all the cheap Pegasuses (Pegasi?) are gone. On the plus side, tried doing some intervals tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed intervals? I think you did them wrong! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.