Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • alanf
    Free Member

Adidas Adios 3s – currently on about my 7th consecutive pair (had 2s before that). I get through about 3 pairs a year, but keep a nice pair for racing.
    I buy them when they are on sale in the colours that no-one wants.

stayhigh

I appear to have picked up a knee niggle.

After running last tuesday I had some discomfort around the lower left quarter of my right knee, around about where the knee/fibula meet if that makes sense?

It was very tender to the touch and there was some notable discomfort going upstairs but particularly more so going down. I decided a few days rest and some liberal use of deep heat wouldn’t go amiss and by today it felt much better.

So today I went out and ran and now it’s very stiff, tender and uncomfortable again which isn’t very fun.

Any suggestions of what I may have done or what I could do to remedy this please?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I only trail run.. so..

Kit:

Shoes-Sal SpeedX3’s (4pairs) & ON Cloudflyer & ON Cloudventure Peak

Socks-Hilly (Ron Hill socks, multi purpose well padded toe and heal)

Legs-Ron Hill medium temp long, warm temp long, shorts and for now winter Haglofs thermal legs (a couple of muddy pairs) and some DHB 3/4 bibs (with the pad taken out)

Tops-Ron Hill thermal, light, medium temp stuff (long arm) RH t-shirts and Norrona long sleeve tops and T’s, RH gillets, RH waterproof, Norrona waterproofs. I also use my Rapha cycling tops and a pair of 3/4’s.

Hat-Runners open top Peak cap, Rooster open top Peak caps and various fleece beanies..

Shades-Oakley shades (couple of pairs)

Gloves-Rapha cycling gloves.

Sometimes use my camelbak for long runs.

But I’m not precious about kit, I’ll run in what I have the only thing I think is important for me are correct fitting shoes.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Kitwise I just buy whatever cheap running shoes I can find on sale. Wiggle’s DHB were the most recent purchase for 20 quid and are just fine for training. For various reasons I’ve actually got about 4 or 5 cheap shoes on the go at various stages of wear that I pick from more or less randomly from day to day. I keep a good pair (adios adizero) for races as well.

lunge

Not sure if anyone needs any new shoes but just spotted these on the Decathlon website. I have a pair and if they were a couple of mm wider (I have oddly wide feet) they’d be my go to shoes, cracking for £15. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-ld-mens-2016-id_8351791.html

oikeith

Any suggestions of what I may have done or what I could do to remedy this please?

More rest, maybe go for 2 or 3 weeks and really ease back into it when you do. Or if it still hurts now, go and get a physios opinion?

An update from me, I gave myself a late medical test of walking around the office and my knee felt much better, think the niggle came from jamming myself into my car shares tiny car, managed run home at a much quicker pace than I thought I would for less effort and even managed to up to the tempo for the last mile which has given me a real confidence boost that doing interval sprints is benefiting me. I am running faster for less effort now then I was a few years ago when I had a really unstructured running pattern.

Kit wise, I need stability shoes for road running and have just replaced my Nike Lunarglides with some Nike Structures. They’re not cheap, but I’d rather pay for the shoes that work for me instead of getting injured, paying for a physio and buying another pair!

I echo short shorts are great, I wear undershorts as well though as I get thigh rub quite bad otherwise. other than my more miles socks and nike shorts the rest of my kit is cheap stuff, sports tops from TK Max and baselayers from sports direct.

stayhigh

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>More rest, maybe go for 2 or 3 weeks and really ease back into it when you do. Or if it still hurts now, go and get a physios opinion?</span>

It’s still very sore and stiff now so will look at getting a physio appointment. As it happens I’m in to see the doc on Thursday for a physio follow up for my back so I’ll mention it then. Annoyingly though I can only have one referral for one thing at a time.

Couple of weeks off will kick half marathon training though which is a nuisance.

lunge

I found thigh rub is easily remedied by shaving ones inner thighs and keeping them smooth.

Related, according to my wife, toned, runners legs with a light tan look a treat if shaved. Sorry…

theotherjonv

anyone used heel lifts to alleviate calf muscle pain / strains?

Physio has me doing calf stretches and eccentric strengthening as it seems this may be the root cause of my leg muscle problems, but in the meantime to protect what I have they may be an idea?

ajf
    Free Member

Shoes: inov8 x-talons or Walsh PB
    Kit: Whatever – although loving my headtorch at the moment. All night on 1 battery and still some charge (12 hours +)

@theotherjonv
    Its been recommended to me by physio before.

Not been running now for a week and a half now. Dark Mountains race wore a big hole in my heel. Its way past a blister and is literally a fleshy wound. Compeed has not been able to contain it. Bored now as already missed things I want to do.

Hoping for a run at the weekend and some snow to be in the dales.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gorgeous wee 5k in the sun at lunch break there, really canny whack a dose of mid shift vitamin D!

matt_outandabout

Chuffed to bits with a 27 min 5k this week. No bad for a 14.5st non runner. Even more, only my calves hurt (what is going on there?).

Some hill reps/sprints today. If you are up the Wallace Monument today at lunch, sorry for sweating all over your paths…

lunge

Matt, calves are my standard point of pain, thighs are OK normally but my calves are always very tight after a long run and are the thing that needs most stretching. I’ve found calf sleeves help but I am aware that most think they’re snake oil.

oikeith

only my calves hurt

My Calves are always tight after any run, lots of stretching and foam rolling is always needed.

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14.4px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>I’ve found calf sleeves help but I am aware that most think they’re snake oil.</span>

I dont fully understand the voodoo of compression stuff for calves and it also wont go with my runners stye of showing as much legs as possible via short shorts and low socks but am tempted to give these a go. My calves only seem to be getting tighter these days and occasionally after a hard session i will have to walk slightly gingerly as they’ll be sore, will report back!

On a side note, after giving myself a late clearance to run home on monday after some knee pain in the morning and then running really well and being really chuffed with myself, I have been struck down with a cold, havent run since Monday and prob wont run till next week now as uplift on the bike booked for weekend,,,Running it gives and it takes away so easily!

lunge

“I don’t fully understand the voodoo of compression stuff for calves and it also wont go with my runners style of showing as much legs as possible via short shorts and low socks”

I hear you, but trust me when I say that bright orange shoes, bright red calf sleeves, short shorts and shaved legs look is a very, VERY special combination. I also tend to pair with a buff worn as a headband to really add to the look. I’m yet to receive a formal compliment on it but I know this is only because people are left speechless with the magnificence and beauty…

thecaptain
    Free Member

My calves sometimes get a bit stiff after a hard session (can be fast running/race or sometimes just a particularly long run at steady pace), it’s just because I’m using them more than usual. Nothing particularly to worry about IMO.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I won an orienteering race with martinb of this parish – but they threatened to disqualify me because of my special outfit of short shorts, red shoes and white calf sleeves – “why have you come dressed as a Japanese schoolgirl?”…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, so being logged out mid post ain’t funny.. 🤷‍♂️

So, compression socks.. tried them, not too sure if they help me but I’ve got them and occasionally put them on post run sofa surfing.

My Couldventure Peaks are bedding in nicely. Coming from my tried and trusted SpeedX3’s is a bit of a gamble, the heals cut lower and the footbed wider and I’d partially expected an irritation or minor injury whilst I transition over to them.. but not yet. I’ve used them 4/10 runs and still using my SpeedX3’s for the recent grotty conditions, the dryer days I’ve used the CVPs and I’m impressed so far.

Weekend looks nice and clear down here, so a QECP tomorrow followed by a long one over Cocking way with a mate on Sunday. Next weeks Half Term so plenty of opportunity to get out, enjoy it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody gloopy out there…

Hampshires constant rain and dreek conditions are getting chuffing boring..

lunge

Went for a lunch run, managed 1/2 a mile and gave up and headed to the treadmill at the gym. Snow, wind and sleet are no fun for anyone.

Off to The Alps soon and quite fancy a bit of altitude running.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Signed up for a local offroad 10k a week on sunday, the hillbilly (well named as it’s a bit lumpy and smack bang in the middle of 6 fingersville) which will test my mettle, fair looking forward to it (and the post race buffet is legendary!)

Decided just to stick to 10k events this year, over that I get bored and niggles appear.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The one good thing about running in this weather is that it’s better than cycling! But I’m also enjoying a bit of treadmill use on the worst days (probably including later today).

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m a pretty slow runner, target is usually to finish! However this year I’ve decided to take it up a notch. So far I’ve entered:

March – Liverpool Half Marathon

August – Birchwood 10K

September – English Half Marathon

October – Chester Marathon

Probably try and sign up for a couple more. Should complete my 50th Parkrun by the end of April too. Never done a full marathon so very nervous but I’m running it for a very good cause so I’m sure I’ll find the inspiration.

Current running shoes are Brooks Transcend 3 for the road and Vapor 2 for the treadmill / gym. Looking at investing in some Vapor 4 for this year’s endeavours. Other kit? Anything that works really. Could do with a better arm holder for the phone though. The current one chafes a bit. Recommendations welcome!

oikeith

Could do with a better arm holder for the phone though

I leave the phone at home, I record the run via my watch…I seem oblivious to the safety issues of running solo with no phone on me but each to their own!

These last few weeks are the first time I’ve embraced treadmill running (intervals for those that remember) before I was a die hard outdoors offroad come rain or shine, last few lunch sessions have been miserable outside and I am so happy to be inside!

I wasnt too sure if the belt speed on the treadmills was correct so picked up a garmin footpod and turns out they arent too far off at all! I’ve also found these interval sessions really beneficial to my cardio fitness overall wether for running or the bike. My watch has even given me a higher guess for VO2 max!

To ask, i am now able to comfortably do 5 x 90secs on with 90secs recvoery at quicker than target pace (but not sprinting) shall i go to 2mins on and 90secs recvoeryor 90secs on with 60 secs recvoery?

WildHunter2009

I have been awful recently, picked up a bit of a groin niggle and the beginnings of a cold last week and its knocked the momentum out of me! said I would go out for a run tonight but i’m looking out the window at a chilly grey rainy croydon and really not feeling it.

Coyote
    Free Member

“To ask, i am now able to comfortably do 5 x 90 secs on with 90 secs recovery at quicker than target pace (but not sprinting) shall i go to 2 mins on and 90 secs recovery or 90 secs on with 60 secs recovery?”

I guess it depends what your goal is, why not mix it up? Variety is after all the spice of life.

Spin
    Free Member

Confirmation of a place in the Glen Coe Skyline again this year.  Think I’m happy about that…

Also entered the 3 Peaks Fell  Race and toying with a Bob Graham in early July. So things are looking up having not got places in some of my target races.

matt_outandabout

First run this evening since November that I was too warm on… Shame it was end of a knackering week, but nice to be outside.
    Anyone else have an issue with Strava seeming to start but not actually? Maybe older phone issue.

bigdean

After doing a 75k virtual run in Jan, managed a pb at park run today. 27min 24 not bad considering am still too close to 16st an running with bike shoes in back pack.

Am still amused by being beaten by kids running in their football kit showing dad up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, a minor win for me today. My bromance neighbour and I have been slogging it out at intervals for the last month and a half at 0515 every Tuesday & Thursday mornings yet, I was struggling to run sub 24 at Ashton Court Parkrun – which does have a big bastard hill for half of it (I’m sure I haven’t mentioned it before). I didn’t manage to get to PR this morning so this evening I set up a session on Cyclemeter – warmup for four mins, then flake out a 5k on a flat-ish circuit – and to my pleasant surprise, managed 21.59. That’s the first time I’ve run sub 22mins for 5k in years. I’m hoping it’s all the interval sessions that have paid off.

So, I’m happy and rewarding myself with a few beers this evening.

Best of luck to all those trying to hit targets, and well done to anyone who’s hit one this week(end); especially those trying for sub 20 5ks. 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Blackpool half for me tomorrow, forecast surprisingly good so I’m expecting a solid PB, only question is whether I go off on an optimistic pace or something a bit more comfortable. Previous best is 1:23 but I need to be around 1:20 if the 2:45 marathon is going to be remotely achievable.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck captain, well done DD!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers Nobeers. Yeah, best of luck captain – anything around 1.20 is awesome as far as I’m concerned. Hope the conditions are perfectissimo for you.

stayhigh

So after seeing a physio it appears that the pain I have been experiencing in my knee is due to my hip flexors being incredibly stiff and inflexible which they consider to be a happy byproduct of me herniating a disc in my lower back last July.

I have been advised not to run for another two weeks, its been two weeks since my last run, and have some extra exercises now to target my hip flexors.  I’ve found some additional yoga stretches to complement these which gives me about 20 minutes of strechy stretch to fit in 2 – 3 times a day.

Its all rather frustrating as I was starting to feel more comfortable on longer runs and building up to half marathon distance however better to take a break, strengthen and improve technique then properly bust myself.

Lovely day for a run….

surfer
    Free Member

“I’m hoping it’s all the interval sessions that have paid off.”

Minute for minute the best use of your time when training. Everything else is just “padding” as a good mate of mine used to say

*Not “everything” but you get the gist.

allthegear
    Free Member

Got 10 miles to fit in some time this afternoon. Cambridge Half in a couple of weeks. I’ll be calming things down slowly after this week

Rachel

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks DD, hmmm split the difference today with 1:21 and change, a pb by more than a minute and a half and ordinarily I should have been absolutely over the moon with such a huge improvement but instead I’m just wondering if I can find another minute or so in the next month..even 30 secs to nudge under 1:21.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well done dude. That’s a fantastic time – way faster than I could ever manage these days. Always a problem approaching a multiple of ten. People are happier with 1.29.59 than 1.20.01. 🙂

Nevertheless, great work!

durhambiker
    Free Member

Was down in Dorset to visit the gf this weekend, so set off at 4am Saturday to get down there in time to fit some parkrun tourism in. Big thumbs up from me for Moors Valley parkrun. A bit congested at the start, but a nice amount of trail through the woods before hitting the tarmac nearer the finish. Absolutely glorious morning for it, with some frost on the ground and beams of sunlight through the trees catching the mist. Fastest 5k I’ve managed in a while as well, 27:21 official time, not great but an improvement for me. Looking forward to being down that way again to give it another go.

Tomorrow I’m showing a friend the routes for the Brutal Triathlon, so after a lap of the bike route we’ll be doing a run/walk up Snowdon until we reach snow, then back down to run a lap of the lake, so probably 11-12 miles total.

surfer
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.